Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:39 am

I saw that via ntt20 - but have no idea what it means! Is it saying he scores or assists 0.72 goals every 90 minutes?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:08 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:39 am
I saw that via ntt20 - but have no idea what it means! Is it saying he scores or assists 0.72 goals every 90 minutes?
Aye.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:13 am

Mar wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:57 pm
Not quite examples but stats nontheless:

https://twitter.com/HenshawAnalysis/sta ... 99/photo/1
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOaJ9rkWUAQ ... name=large
Those stats. I might be reading 'em wrong but the second graphic seems to have him in the quadrant, "offers little on the ball but loves an aerial duel".  I thought the former was his selling point?

The first graphic has him around the bottom 30% in terms of the number of aereal duels he goes into? but when he does he's got a great wins % as he's got a foot in height start on lots of folks. If 50% is the average, what happened to the 23% he should've been involved in to make "average" but decided not to? Or wasn't there to make the header, when perhaps it was his man?

He's also probably getting a Padj benefit on some stats (not clear if it's all). I'm as uncertain about that's usefulness as I am with xG. The notion that the defender would just do more of the same things constantly, in the same proportions, if possession was 50/50, is flawed for me.

His Npxg. Confused. I'm assuming this is how many Npxg's a defence with Santos in it would expect to conceded? Because if it's his likelihood of scoring, it's way too high...

What they need to measure for defenders is what they should've done but didn't and outcomes. Missing 3 tackles in 100 ("look he's at 97%! The GOAT") when they're through on goal and score is worse than missing 10 tackles in 100 that nothing comes from.

I like Big Ric. Genuinely decent chap. Honest pro. I think he's integral to the way Evatt wants us to play. Would be sorry to see him leave. But he's not (to use Insano's phrase) Beckenbauer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:25 am

Interesting quote here from Evatt that sounds like an unveiled threat: the Monday after Fleetwood, every squad member has a review and there will be some “difficult conversations”.

I don’t think anybody will be surprised if all those with lapsing contracts leave, but…
Everyone will then be told as to where they are at - whether you are in contract or out of contract. As I’ve said before, just because you are under contract it doesn't necessarily protect you and mean you are here indefinitely.

There are going to be changes. Getting to the next level and how we improve as a club is constantly evolving, and that means at football clubs there is a revolving door sometimes. There are tough conversations ahead, no doubt, but that is part of the game.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... -evolving/

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:27 am

I think there might be a surprise - someone like MJ being told he’s being upgraded this summer.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:49 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:27 am
I think there might be a surprise - someone like MJ being told he’s being upgraded this summer.
Would be surprised if it was MJ. I understand the logic but he's this seasons Tutte and readily available. Hasn't really put a foot wrong but hasn't kicked on. Think we'll see him next season

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:55 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:27 am
MJ floated across my mind, but it's not a position we're strong in.

But now you mention it (and I start adding 2s together...), in the Sheehan update Evatt says:
I think he [Sheehan] can play as a pivot and when we play a double pivot, with two sixes so to speak, he can play as one of those. He has played as a 10 for Newport. He can play there for us or if we play a six and two eights, he can play as one of the eights.

He gives us good flexibility really, as they all do. It is only really MJ (Williams) who is an out-and-out six and pivot. We couldn’t really move him into an eight or a 10 role, but everyone else we feel could pretty much do it.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... -progress/

As I say: 2+2=5 maybe, but I agree that now Evatt is running out of squad spaces, he may look to 'upgrade' quicker than natural wastage. He hasn't been shy before – ask the previous captain and vice-captain. True, I think the plan was to let Sarce run down his contract, but it didn't pan out like that.

The other candidates that sprung to mind for "difficult conversations" - besides perhaps Darcy and Thomason - are Aimson and DIxon, who might in an unfair light be cast as jobbing pros with little resale value. But you could make a case (with which I might not necessarily agree) for Lee, Isgrove and Kachunga...?

Whoever it is, if they're under contract it's not as simple as "Thanks, genuinely, but bye." We'd need someone to take them, or at least a chunk of their wages via a loan, off our debit column. Some players will move more readily than others, and some will be more sought-after than others.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:47 am

Lee is an interesting one. Talent wise he’s our best but he is injured a lot. Got another year and can’t necessarily see there being any takers for him. Kachunga hasn’t been that great - but he took a long time to get up to speed, then got injured! A familiar tale!

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:08 am

Hope we keep Lee and let him run out his contract (1yr extension?). Be that person with some nous who comes on 65m and calms everyone the ferk down. Defo needs to be more sparingly used though

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:17 am

He's played a lot more than I expected him to when he came in, and has been an excellent signing. Was thinking along the lines of Kirchoff - worth a punt but unlikely to avoid injury. He's had a few but also a massive impact.
The heel thing sounds like a routine op, but you never know with foot surgery and it's knock on effects. If it went fine I'm sure he'll be a big asset next season too.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:28 pm

If we could get hold of somebody of the quality of Scott twine who has been key for MK, you would have to say Sheehan or Lee or Kachunga could go…

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:33 pm

Kachunga would be free to find a new club, for me. Just doesn’t offer enough to merit a squad place in a club hunting promotion.

Isgrove is borderline. I wouldn’t mind keeping him as a back up, but if we had better, younger options available then he’d also be free to go.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:14 pm

I'm the other way around. Isgrove offers zero end product. We've learnt hopefully from last year that being a good egg isn't enough.

Kachunga there's a player there, but he's really struggled with fitness, and I suspect is on pretty big bunce. I'd not be against trying to move him on.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:14 pm
I'm the other way around. Isgrove offers zero end product. We've learnt hopefully from last year that being a good egg isn't enough.

Kachunga there's a player there, but he's really struggled with fitness, and I suspect is on pretty big bunce. I'd not be against trying to move him on.
Isgrove can move. Kachunga is one of the slowest players I’ve ever seen. Get rid. Issy can stay unless we can get a real upgrade on the cover he offers.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:43 pm
Prufrock wrote:

Isgrove can move. Kachunga is one of the slowest players I’ve ever seen. Get rid. Issy can stay unless we can get a real upgrade on the cover he offers.
There's a big risk with the Isgrove situation. He might come back and be out just as fast like last time. I'm sure the backroom staff will be looking for options in that position just in case.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:22 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

There's a big risk with the Isgrove situation. He might come back and be out just as fast like last time. I'm sure the backroom staff will be looking for options in that position just in case.
Well given Flossie's record too, think they should be looking at both in terms of overall risk

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Kachunga's one of the slowest players you've ever seen?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:03 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Kachunga's one of the slowest players you've ever seen?
Glad it's not just me. He doesn't always use his pace (I think since injury) but he's certainly not short.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:33 pm

Wouldn't be league one football if it wasn't for at least one show of incompetent refereeing. Clear push on Dapo near the corner flag and completely ignored. This time I think its the linesman.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:45 pm

2-0 and relatively coasting. Kachunga crossing the ball in the box and hitting a hand to no avail. Refs given one penalty, we'd've been lucky to get another.