Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 12, 2022 3:59 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:34 pm
Nahki Wells will supposedly be allowed to leave Bristol City for nothing this summer (still has a year left on his current deal).

Signed for £5m in 2020 so will be on serious ££££££ and would have to take a serious pay cut wherever he goes.

Not suggesting he’s a realistic target or we’d even be interested, but worth highlighting there’s a solid link between him and Chris Markham, with the two of them both at Huddersfield between 2014 and 2017…
Financial madness, that division.

Signed for £5m two years ago, still under contract, an asset burnt.

I get that they may want to shave their wage bill, but dear oh my.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 12, 2022 4:20 pm

Bristol City staring at possible FFP regulation punishments if they don't bring their losses down. They're losing nigh on £3.5m a month and have only 'gotten away with it' thus far, due to some big player sales in 2018/2019

They finished 17th this season and lose THAT much money.... It really is a basketcase of a division. Unless you can start from a clean slate, like we can/have, you really do have to go sh!t or bust in that league

Last season, their wage bill stood at £35.3m(!!)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 12, 2022 4:30 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:20 pm
Bristol City staring at possible FFP regulation punishments if they don't bring their losses down. They're losing nigh on £3.5m a month and have only 'gotten away with it' thus far, due to some big player sales in 2018/2019

They finished 17th this season and lose THAT much money.... It really is a basketcase of a division. Unless you can start from a clean slate, like we can/have, you really do have to go sh!t or bust in that league

Last season, their wage bill stood at £35.3m(!!)
As noted, you don't *have* to – Luton are doing alreet, and I don't think Huddersfield are throwing money at it.

It's just that most clubs *do* throw money at it. With what I personally would call recklessness bordering on criminal negligence.

So if we go up and stay sensible, as I hope to God we do, then we simply have to accept we might not be first-choice for players and agents.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 12, 2022 4:34 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:34 pm
Nahki Wells
How tall is he though?
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 12, 2022 4:36 pm

Aye - But even then, Hudds have 2 players in Hogg & Ward, earning 20k per week..

Eye wateringly, Reading pay Danny Drinkwater £100,000 per week and £86,000 to Abdul Rahman Baba. I just.......
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 12, 2022 5:10 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:36 pm
Aye - But even then, Hudds have 2 players in Hogg & Ward, earning 20k per week..

Eye wateringly, Reading pay Danny Drinkwater £100,000 per week and £86,000 to Abdul Rahman Baba. I just.......
Reading are the basket case's basket case. Just when you think they might get sensible, they go even worse – 211% wage to turnover ratio, etc. I don't know the ins and outs of their FFP case but I'm surprised they didn't get as hammered as Derby did.

For us - one step at a time, and all that. But I'm surprised so many backers get involved in tier-two clubs - to me, it seems the quickest way to lose money, this side of Hollywood. Must just be hubris.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 12, 2022 5:23 pm

Other people look at the Championship and see a big money division we can't compete in. I see a load of badly-run clubs that are there for the taking....and Luton.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 13, 2022 1:46 pm

Trafford is discussing his contract situation with City before (hopefully) coming back here.

I wonder what odds you'd get on him coming here on a long term deal with buy-back and sell-on clauses for City.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri May 13, 2022 2:25 pm

Maybe - my worry with Trafford is that it isn’t sorted by August. We’ll have to look elsewhere at some point, unless the young keeper we kept is bench ready, and even then I don’t think Dixon is good enough.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 13, 2022 2:54 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:25 pm
Maybe - my worry with Trafford is that it isn’t sorted by August. We’ll have to look elsewhere at some point, unless the young keeper we kept is bench ready, and even then I don’t think Dixon is good enough.
Aye. I'd be tempted to source an older keeper now who could be back-up or No.1. If that means jogging Dicko on, fair enough; he's not the world's worst keeper, but he's not winning us promotion from this division either.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 13, 2022 4:10 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Maybe - my worry with Trafford is that it isn’t sorted by August.
It will be.

The EFL starts at the end of July this time and there's no way we'll go into the season with just Dixon.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 13, 2022 4:17 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:10 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Maybe - my worry with Trafford is that it isn’t sorted by August.
It will be.

The EFL starts at the end of July this time and there's no way we'll go into the season with just Dixon.
EPL season doesn't start till August, and it's City's call, but I suspect we'll know well before then whether we have a chance.

Had a quick peep for second-tier keepers falling out of contract who may be Dixon upgrades. I suspect we won't spend wages on that position, though: there'll be a feeling of "Dixon'll do" as backup.

Matt Ingram – 28, about to fall out of contract at Hull, currently guesting or Luton, has also played for QPR, Wycombe and Northampton in the middle two tiers.

Orjan Nyland – 31, on short-term contract at Reading, previously at Villa/Norwich/Bournemouth

Jamal Blackman - 28, ex-Chelsea serial loanee, currently on short-term at Huddersfield. Also has Champo/L1 experience at Sheff U, Bristol R & Rotherham U.

Kelle Roos - Actually trained with us while at Nuneaton back in the day, but signed for Derby and has also got t2/3 experience on loan at Rotherham, Bristol R (again) and Plymouth. 30 this month.

Ryan Allsop - Also Derby; also 30 this summer; also out of contract; if not one, then the other… has t2/3 experience at Bournemouth, Cov, Blackpool and Wycombe as well as Derby.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 13, 2022 4:33 pm

City aren't waiting on the EPL for a solution for Trafford. He's not in the first team picture and he has 12 months left on his deal. The issue is consideration of new terms. City want to keep him, so I assume he'll sign on and then come back to us. I have no idea if we're looking actively at other options (I doubt it), but we will be looking at another option for the B Team.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 13, 2022 5:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 11:34 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 11:31 am
Could add Ebou Adams to that list.
Another out of contract. Either FGR don't know what they're doing, or the players are actively ready to leave the stepping stone.

Adams was linked last month with Cardiff, which is a lot nearer for him, but has received a contract offer from Blackpool, which isn't.
Cardiff have signed Ebou Adams on a free from FGR.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 13, 2022 5:05 pm

Fri May 13, 2022 5:03 pm
Not in the least surprised. Also probability indicates the chances of Kane Wilson ending up in League One.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 13, 2022 5:23 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:05 pm
Fri May 13, 2022 5:03 pm
Not in the least surprised. Also probability indicates the chances of Kane Wilson ending up in League One.
Yeah, there's a few Champo teams starting to look for free-transfer bargains again.

As a related aside, I wondered whether Evatt might be slightly affronted that Edwards had leapt from FGR to Watford (who also apparently considered MK's Manning and his predecessor Russell Martin, now at Swansea). But the noises in the BN report suggest he's happy to be here for the journey, and I do think he's unlikely to leap at the first chance - he knows he's got a good setup here.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 13, 2022 5:32 pm

Fri May 13, 2022 5:23 pm
Yeah, there's a few Champo teams starting to look for free-transfer bargains again.
Making the work of clubs like us decidedly more difficult.

On the Evatt thing, I think he'd have turned Watford down, if I'm honest (though we might still find out in a couple of months).

"Brand Evatt" doesn't want a sacking on its CV and everyone ends up sacked at Watford. His ego might mean he believes he can get them straight back up, but Watford doesn't look like a guaranteed route to long term Prem manager status. At best it looked like 18 months in office, sacked half way through a Prem season and then forever a Championship hopeful.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 13, 2022 6:18 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:32 pm
Fri May 13, 2022 5:23 pm
Making the work of clubs like us decidedly more difficult.

On the Evatt thing, I think he'd have turned Watford down, if I'm honest (though we might still find out in a couple of months).

"Brand Evatt" doesn't want a sacking on its CV and everyone ends up sacked at Watford. His ego might mean he believes he can get them straight back up, but Watford doesn't look like a guaranteed route to long term Prem manager status. At best it looked like 18 months in office, sacked half way through a Prem season and then forever a Championship hopeful.
Agreed with all of that. Just occured to me, when reading a piece about how Watford chased a variety of young managers playing nice football, that it might have made him wonder if it could have been him. You don't have to want to say yes to be offended not to be asked.

Then again, the piece I read also said they had other targets who might have required more compensation money, and I would guess Evatt's reworked contract bumped that up a bit.

And yeah – Watford is a revolving door - but then, that's either a good payoff for a Hodgson, or a spell in the shop window for a Rob Edwards. Like you, I don't think Evatt right now wants the risk of a sacking, but managers do strange things. Being ignorant of matters non-league, I was surprised to discover today that Paul Cook had gone (back) to Chesterfield. I know Ipswich didn't work but his previous three jobs did.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 13, 2022 6:46 pm

Fri May 13, 2022 6:18 pm
that's either a good payoff for a Hodgson, or a spell in the shop window for a Rob Edwards.
I think this is the thing. If he does a good job here he will get all the publicity he needs. If he were FGR boss he'd have gone, just like Rob did (though I think sneaking around was poor)

Bolton isn't the platform Watford is right now, but in a couple of years it could be and it offers vastly more stability.

If we went up and Brighton came knocking he'd be gone.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 13, 2022 9:33 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:46 pm
Fri May 13, 2022 6:18 pm
that's either a good payoff for a Hodgson, or a spell in the shop window for a Rob Edwards.
I think this is the thing. If he does a good job here he will get all the publicity he needs. If he were FGR boss he'd have gone, just like Rob did (though I think sneaking around was poor)

Bolton isn't the platform Watford is right now, but in a couple of years it could be and it offers vastly more stability.

If we went up and Brighton came knocking he'd be gone.
This is spot on in my view. The sort of clubs that might come in for Evatt now….he will feel he can take bolton there.

But if we become a championship club and he got interest from an established premiership club he’d go. Because whilst it’s possible he can take us there it would be far from certain. And you have to take those opportunities when they rock round.