Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:10 pm

Interesting to see Nixon say that Derby might not be offering players what they were two weeks ago.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:52 pm

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:10 pm
Interesting to see Nixon say that Derby might not be offering players what they were two weeks ago.
Not shocked. It's all about trying to keep Rooney in order to maintain the attractiveness of the football club as a going concern on the pitch. If Rooney walks then suddenly the club looks doomed.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:03 pm

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:09 pm

Glorious. Klopp rates him. Mates of mine there rave about him. He's young, we need patience, but yeah.....brilliant work from Markham et al. A risk, but to get him into League One is a big deal.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:12 pm

“Conor was our priority in January and it didn’t happen - but it’s going to happen now which is huge,” - Evatt

Absolutely not the impression I got from talking to someone at Liverpool, which was that we started to talk about taking him 4 weeks ago. I assume Evatt is being entirely straight, so that's actually really reassuring. That means we've covered ourselves on the research side and I'm therefore even happier with him coming in. Great stuff.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:12 pm

I did wonder if Liverpool might lend us Pip Jnr, but then I saw his wages :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:15 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:12 pm
“Conor was our priority in January and it didn’t happen - but it’s going to happen now which is huge,” - Evatt

Absolutely not the impression I got from talking to someone at Liverpool, which was that we started to talk about taking him 4 weeks ago. I assume Evatt is being entirely straight, so that's actually really reassuring. That means we've covered ourselves on the research side and I'm therefore even happier with him coming in. Great stuff.
And whereas I for one had not given up hope entirely on us bringing Fossey in until I see him being paraded elsewhere, I think we can now safely say that that's the end of that.
May the bridges I burn light your way

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:16 pm

Happy with that one. Think we're good for those two wing back positions now as long as we don't undergo another injury tsunami - Bradley, Isgrove, Jones, John and Iredale should be sufficient to cover for fatigue-related absences on either side.

Still think another CB should be looked at if we're considering a back 3, though Santos, Jones, Johnstone, Iredale and Aimson isn't a bad group to pick from.

Other than that, I think it's an attacking mid for me now, someone like Dapo who can provide that maverick spark that can change a game when Dapo himself is unavailable.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:15 pm
And whereas I for one had not given up hope entirely on us bringing Fossey in until I see him being paraded elsewhere, I think we can now safely say that that's the end of that.
I'd be interested to know if, at some stage, we wanted both. There's an argument for still needing another option on the right in that 3-5-2.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:21 pm

I think we need a physical, athletic ball winning midfielder - Williams struggled in both systems at the back end of the season
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:28 pm

I still wouldn't be stunned to see Fossey come back. Maybe in January after sitting in Rotherham's stands for five months.

But that's by the by. Welcome, young Connor. May your cotton grow high.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:29 pm

Good thing about Bradley is that as an under 21 player he doesn’t count towards the squad cap.

As it stands we still have 3 spaces to play with and that’s before moving any of the current lot on (Darcy being a prime candidate to be loaned out, very interesting that he’s not travelled to Portugal).

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:34 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:21 pm
I think we need a physical, athletic ball winning midfielder - Williams struggled in both systems at the back end of the season
Yep, was just re-running through our options again and came to a blank on defensive mid. We've got seemingly plenty of "engine room" players who might do a job there, but none of the "destroyer" type who you'd ideally want, other than MJ.

To use one of Evatt's favourite phrases 8s include Lee, Sheehan, Dempsey, Morley; 4s are MJ; 10s are Lee, Sheehan, Dapo and (at a push) Jon Bod.

We're also still short a back-up left-back if we're going with 4 at the back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:41 pm

Here's a Conor Bradley video that Brommers clipped up the other day.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:41 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:34 pm
Yep, was just re-running through our options again and came to a blank on defensive mid. We've got seemingly plenty of "engine room" players who might do a job there, but none of the "destroyer" type who you'd ideally want, other than MJ.

To use one of Evatt's favourite phrases 8s include Lee, Sheehan, Dempsey, Morley; 4s are MJ; 10s are Lee, Sheehan, Dapo and (at a push) Jon Bod.

IF we were in for Matt Butcher (Plymouth's local reporter feels very strongly that we were) then the "physical mid" type we're looking for seems to be a box-to-box sort rather than a sitter.

I think the left back option in a 4 is set. Iredale as the all-rounder, John as a very attacking option and Johnston in an emergency seems enough.

In a 3-5-2 the LWB looks like being John, with Sadlier and Iredale as very different and not entirely convincing options. I think that's where you could convince me we're short (I wanted Nicky Cadden, personally), but it's maybe not worth investing in.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:42 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Ireland and John, unless we think John can only function as LWB. He's certainly better there but he's not unconscionable at LB.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:46 pm

Happy with another signing - we’ve gone from loaning players from Lincoln and Peterbrough to City and Liverpool so that’s a real positive.

For me I’d like a pure midfield destroyer to sign ideally as an upgrade to MJ, that would give us some real competition then. Probably another wide / number ten style hybrid as well but we are looking good, on paper at least.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:42 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Ireland and John, unless we think John can only function as LWB. He's certainly better there but he's not unconscionable at LB.
Pretty sure i'd heard Dapo mention in an interview that John was the best at the club. Pretty good praise from someone who is used to dribbling at opponents. Could imagine John would be able to do the job without issue.

Good to see that preview had some attacking intent. Would imagine that the role is going to be pretty much the same with a new member of staff filling that position.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:52 pm

John’s numbers, particularly post October (I think he stated the season injured / unfit - Covid?) we’re pretty good from memory. One of the best on the league IMO.