Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:46 pm

I think Evatt has said that Sadlier could work on either side as wingback - he's certainly said that about Isgrove.

IMO Sadlier's best position is the same as Dapo's - cutting in off the left in the 4-2-3-1 we don't play any more.

Personally I think we are unlikely to hire a LWB unless someone unarguably brilliant - a first-team upgrade - becomes available.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:26 pm

Been reading that Marlon Joseph (Fossy to you) had knocked back a move to Rotherham. He was stated as making £580 a week which, in today's price rise gallop, is hardly the earth for a class footballer. Despite all I'd love him to come back here. Won't happen I know, but I can wish and hope. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:21 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:26 pm
Been reading that Marlon Joseph (Fossy to you) had knocked back a move to Rotherham. He was stated as making £580 a week which, in today's price rise gallop, is hardly the earth for a class footballer. Despite all I'd love him to come back here. Won't happen I know, but I can wish and hope. :(
The hint from Evatt in the podcast is he did is that maybe there are some ongoing injury issues with Fossey, it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s failed a fitness test somewhere. Evatt said he couldn’t go into it.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:25 pm

Surely Fossey is on more than 580 a week. That's 30k per annum, or have I misunderstood?
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:27 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:25 pm
Surely Fossey is on more than 580 a week. That's 30k per annum, or have I misunderstood?
That's where my maths went, too :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:44 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:25 pm
Haven't Arriva bus drivers just reached a similar settlement?
May the bridges I burn light your way

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:16 pm

We’ve got the Ulster Cafu now, lads. Far superior to that impoverished yank.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:56 pm

Apology. I read the details on a Salary Site link, but checking that was when he was age 20. I should have known better. :oops:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:27 am

I had a dream last night that Spurs offered £1.9m and three of their players on loan for Declan John. Woke up ecstatic about that, until realising it was merely a figment of my imagination.

More dream updates when I get them.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:41 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:27 am
I had a dream last night that Spurs offered £1.9m and three of their players on loan for Declan John. Woke up ecstatic about that, until realising it was Spurs.

More dream updates when I get them.
Helped you out a bit there....

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:47 pm

On the bright side, maybe today’s performance might encourage Evatt to be more active in the transfer market…

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:53 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:47 pm
On the bright side, maybe today’s performance might encourage Evatt to be more active in the transfer market…
As I said in the match thread, it'll be interesting to see how we react. Not just in this game but in general.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:38 am

brommers95 wrote:
It's difficult. I don't think Evatt has been under any illusions as to the gap. It could push us, but you have to assume we were already looking. I'm not sure we're going to throw any more money at things. Mostly because I don't think we have it. It's hard to see what changes.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:58 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:38 am
brommers95 wrote:
It's difficult. I don't think Evatt has been under any illusions as to the gap. It could push us, but you have to assume we were already looking. I'm not sure we're going to throw any more money at things. Mostly because I don't think we have it. It's hard to see what changes.
I suppose the reaction could be a sale to facilitate incomings - possibly in Jan.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:45 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:58 am
I suppose the reaction could be a sale to facilitate incomings - possibly in Jan.
I don't think we'll sell anyone we didn't intend to sell based on a basically par start to the season.

We are operating a long term policy and most of the lads have the length of deal we want them to have.

What we need are the kinds of players we missed out on. Planned transfers that haven't happened.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:16 pm

Given our success with Traf and Bradley – not to mention impending transfer deadline and disappointing weekend result – I'm gonna have a quick peep at big clubs' dev sides for players we might realistically borrow. First up, Citeh.

Defensive midfielder Claudio Gomes (23/7/00) played 32 times for Barnsley last season. At PSG (from whence he joined Citeh) he was likened by team-mates to Ngolo Kante, although at 5ft 11 he has also played in defence. Whether Citeh would want him to drop down a division from his last loan is a big question – he was linked with Celtic over summer. Doesn't seem to be wanted by City so this could be a Dapo-style taster loan.

Finley Burns (17/06/03) - powerful, composed, towering (6ft 5in) centre-back who was given his first-team debut last September in City's 6-1 win over Wycombe. In January they sent him to Swansea, but it was perhaps a touch too ambitious and he only played three times – despite a 95.4% pass accuracy on his debut. Contracted to 2027, so this would be a borrow – but, as with Traf and Bradley, a Wanderers promotion could lead to another deal next season.

Yeboah Amankwah (19/10/00) - tall (6ft 4in), ball-playing centre-half who was, like Traf, loaned to Accy last season. Unlike Traf he did quite well there and stayed the season, playing 27 games and picking up two yellow cards (one on Dapo just before half-time in the game at Accy). Right-footed Londoner of Ghanaian stock. Seems to be out of contract at the end of the season.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:39 pm

Is it very likely we sign another centre back after bringing in Toal? I'd say City would want assurances on game time if they sent us either Burns or Amankwah, and we're not really in a position to offer that.

Claudio Gomes sounds more like what we need, although he might be reluctant to drop down to our level, and he's also apparently being paid £22k a week, so we'd need City to keep paying most of that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:19 pm

'ey nobody said these were LIKELY signings :mrgreen:

Burns might be the sort of commanding figure Callum Doyle proved to be for Sunderland last season on loan from City (at age 18). We're all talking about wanting game-changingly good players and he might maybejustmaybe be that for us. It's all guesswork and futurology. There might be players I've never heard of that are suddenly decreed loanworthy and change some club's season irrevocably for the better.

It's all been very softly-softly on Toal – Evatt talking of projects and long-term and patience. Wouldn't even astonish me if he's on loan in D4 by spring. But obviously I hope he's in and the real deal.

Amankwah – No idea if he's any good. If he's been at City a while he presumably ticks a lot of Evatt boxes so like I say he's more of a potential Dapo - falling off the big-club conveyor belt. Burns, by contrast, has evidently been adjudged to have a higher ceiling - but being funnelled out by a big club didn't stop Dapo doing damage for us.

I saw that Gomes wage figure and I'm not sure I believe it - <shocked voice> "that's a million a year, Maurice" - but yeah, I guess it's possible These Days. Just a name that might be an option if nobody wants him. (A related problem is whether Citeh would subsidise wages for loanees they're trying to get rid of, rather than 'develop'.)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:34 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:19 pm
'ey nobody said these were LIKELY signings :mrgreen:

Burns might be the sort of commanding figure Callum Doyle proved to be for Sunderland last season on loan from City (at age 18). We're all talking about wanting game-changingly good players and he might maybejustmaybe be that for us. It's all guesswork and futurology. There might be players I've never heard of that are suddenly decreed loanworthy and change some club's season irrevocably for the better.

It's all been very softly-softly on Toal – Evatt talking of projects and long-term and patience. Wouldn't even astonish me if he's on loan in D4 by spring. But obviously I hope he's in and the real deal.

Amankwah – No idea if he's any good. If he's been at City a while he presumably ticks a lot of Evatt boxes so like I say he's more of a potential Dapo - falling off the big-club conveyor belt. Burns, by contrast, has evidently been adjudged to have a higher ceiling - but being funnelled out by a big club didn't stop Dapo doing damage for us.

I saw that Gomes wage figure and I'm not sure I believe it - <shocked voice> "that's a million a year, Maurice" - but yeah, I guess it's possible These Days. Just a name that might be an option if nobody wants him. (A related problem is whether Citeh would subsidise wages for loanees they're trying to get rid of, rather than 'develop'.)
When we were in the premiership a young kid came through the academy and towards the fringes of the first team squad. They were on in excess of £11k per week at the time. A decade and a half ago at Bolton. Their contract was flaunted with a few of the academy lot who were pretty miffed as said player wasn’t believed to be that great and it turned out thusly. But £22K for someone at city 15 years or so later? Well believe that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:46 pm

When does the window "slam shut" is it the end of August?