Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:03 pm

I also read it as something of a "not at that price" bargaining move.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:03 pm
I also read it as something of a "not at that price" bargaining move.
Entirely reasonable read. Especially with it being accompanied by "I'll be in the office just in case."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:38 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:54 pm
More words from IE.

“I think we’ve ally strong squad and pound for pound have amazing value in our squad and I do believe that we’ve got a very good squad of players in all areas that are capable of doing special things. We have to go out there and prove that, but for now if I don’t think the market value outweighs or trades off with what I think we’ve got in the building already then the answer will be no and we’ll walk away and that’s at the stage we’re at right now.”

Sounds like he’s pretty happy with his lot and it’s only if something exceptional within budget comes up.
I hear (read) that slightly differently.

For me the emphasis falls on the caveats.

If a manager tells me they have a great squad, pound for pound, I don't hear that they think they will be competing at the very top.

I don't think Evatt is despairing and I think he'll feel like he's improved the depth at the back enough to have dealt with one issue.

I think he's fully aware of the issues in other areas, though, as he's talked about them last season and it's still the same players this season. Sheehan coming back in may solve one very specific issue he had and I hope he stays fit.

If we do no more business we'll be fine, but we're unlikely to be exceptional. Being 2-5 players off isn't a disaster and we've done enough business to keep the wolf from the door until January, when we can reassess, as you said previously.
Evatt is basically saying that to improve on a very strong squad that he’s already picked he’d have to spend over the odds and he doesn’t want to. I don’t think trying to read much more than that into is is worth it. Unless Evatt who asserts twice ‘that’s the honest truth’ is a real big liar.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:54 pm

From the BN: Speaking to Ian Evatt about the potential for more business, I think a few expensive loans have been laid on the doorstep but he is reluctant to push the boat out that far. Said a couple of times this afternoon that it is NOT a lack of finance, but more a moral decision.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:24 pm

Forget morals we need to get promoted!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:33 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:24 pm
Forget morals we need to get promoted!
Well, if Sharon and the board think so, they can advise him to spend...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:42 pm

Evatt is basically saying we don’t want some big time Charlie’s on £25K a week contracts rocking up and ticking a box here before they go back for their big move or premiership minutes.

It makes sense. Might be good players but do they really want to be here and develop with us and help us or is it more they are being told to and would cost a lot for someone who is just here because their club wants them to get minutes.

I don’t think we need those types.

Evatt is a bit silly for saying we are turning them away. But anyway. He’s probably right. It would be different if proven quality at this level was available and we could do it but chose not to.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:45 pm

I think this might be the latest example of a media management mis-step from Evatt.

Also, although it's impossible to be certain without knowing who the players in question are, I do also wonder if he might be in danger of being too clever by half in his approach to what he refers to as "moral" and "cultural" considerations. I'm not claiming he is being - he's in charge and will have more information available to him than any of us will - but I'm just wondering.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:14 pm

I doubt we should forget how close we came to going pop. If he thinks the investment ain't going to deliver the returns, I'd rather that than running up a bill and landing 7th...

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:14 pm
I doubt we should forget how close we came to going pop. If he thinks the investment ain't going to deliver the returns, I'd rather that than running up a bill and landing 7th...

I haven't forgotten. I'm in strong agreement with the idea of running the club responsibly, both financially and with regard to squad harmony, and have no problem if that means any progress the club makes is impacted as a result.

I just think it's possible to adopt that mentality and also be too cautious about it, and I wonder if that might sometimes be the case with Evatt.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:28 pm

Fuller quotes in a new Ilesy story in which the manager mentions the "absolute rock star money" some loan-offered players are on.

I do worry about football finance and our club. I'm trying to enjoy these days of optimism, winning more than we lose and most of all having a club to follow.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:36 pm

For what it's worth, my point was about Evatt possibly overthinking the moral and cultural aspect rather than the financial considerations.

It was in response to the Iles quote posted above.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:44 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:36 pm
For what it's worth, my point was about Evatt possibly overthinking the moral and cultural aspect rather than the financial considerations.

FWIW, I'm not having a go at you Nicko.

I just don't think we can have a Rioch-like rise through the divisions without huge financial risk, and that's a sad thing. I also agree with BWFCi – it's sad "small" clubs are kept in their place by turnover ratios. Then again, we were a small club that lived the dream and it nearly killed us. There's no easy answers.

But right now, if i were Sharon, I'd be wondering - is there a wonderkid who can get me promoted? Can I trust the manager to make sure he's not a Billy Big Bollocks?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:44 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:36 pm

FWIW, I'm not having a go at you Nicko.

I just don't think we can have a Rioch-like rise through the divisions without huge financial risk, and that's a sad thing. I also agree with BWFCi – it's sad "small" clubs are kept in their place by turnover ratios. Then again, we were a small club that lived the dream and it nearly killed us. There's no easy answers.

But right now, if i were Sharon, I'd be wondering - is there a wonderkid who can get me promoted? Can I trust the manager to make sure he's not a Billy Big Bollocks?

No problem. I didn't think you were, I just thought I needed to clarify what I meant.

I haven't based my opinion solely on what he said today, it's just something I have a suspicion about generally. I could be completely wrong.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:42 pm
Evatt is basically saying we don’t want some big time Charlie’s on £25K a week contracts rocking up and ticking a box here before they go back for their big move or premiership minutes.

It makes sense. Might be good players but do they really want to be here and develop with us and help us or is it more they are being told to and would cost a lot for someone who is just here because their club wants them to get minutes.

Evatt is a bit silly for saying we are turning them away. But anyway. He’s probably right. It would be different if proven quality at this level was available and we could do it but chose not to.
Isn't it a bit of a stretch to say I'm reading too much into what Evatt said by just describing what "pound for pound" means and then launch into parsing his statement the way you just have?

What you seem to want to say is that you can only make a judgement about what he's said if it aligns with Insane's reading of it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
I think we all agree with that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:57 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:26 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

I haven't forgotten. I'm in strong agreement with the idea of running the club responsibly, both financially and with regard to squad harmony, and have no problem if that means any progress the club makes is impacted as a result.

I just think it's possible to adopt that mentality and also be too cautious about it, and I wonder if that might sometimes be the case with Evatt.
I'm sure lots of things are "possible" and wasn't suggesting anyone had forgotten. :-)

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:11 pm

Think we've already done our business and can't see any more business being done in this transfer window. Can't say i'm disappointed. Would be nice to have something pending or a little bit of interest in a player thats out of our league but we've got a good squad and can't imagine we'll be breaking the bank to change that.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:47 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:55 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:42 pm

Isn't it a bit of a stretch to say I'm reading too much into what Evatt said by just describing what "pound for pound" means and then launch into parsing his statement the way you just have?

What you seem to want to say is that you can only make a judgement about what he's said if it aligns with Insane's reading of it.
This is what he said. So I don’t think I’m reading much into that at all. He’s more or less said it in words there.
“We have taken one or two loans of course, which we think will improve us. But when you start taking loans from players and clubs that are on absolute rock star money, there has to be a reason why.”

“Some deals just seem too good to be true and as much as they might improve the team initially, culturally it might do a huge amount of damage to what we have worked hard to build on the training ground and in and around the football club,”

“I like who we are, I love what we have become and I want us to keep improving and progressing.

“I know the fans want that more than ever but I am sure if you ask them, they would want us to do it responsibly and respectfully, and I think that is what we are doing.”

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:55 pm

Looks like my predicted signing Macauley Bonne is heading for Charlton. Pity, I fancied he'd be our sort of signing.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?