Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:13 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:09 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:38 am
Good morning world, it's a brand new day... :D
All focus now shifts to games and the pressure is now entirely on the manager.

If we don't beat Charlton there will be howls.
I doubt there will be howls, just frustration.

Evatt certainly is safe in his position in the eyes of our fans and I don’t think he will come under pressure regardless, certainly not at this stage.

A few team selections aside he’s certainly grown on me much more this season. He’s learning - far from the finished article and maybe not as good as he thinks he is yet but then he’s seemingly aware of that and changing stuff up.

I wish he’d get someone with experience and know how to fix our attacking set pieces though.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:32 pm

If we lose a game, having made an iffy start, after Evatt said what many interpreted as "We turned down loads of amazing signings" there absolutely will be some howling. It's the nature of the fan base.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:42 pm

If you can't ignore a few people on Twatter and BN website then football management probably ain't for you...(not you, you, Manager, you). Only really a problem if it translates into the stands, as it did with Megson. That was toxic.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:42 pm
If you can't ignore a few people on Twatter and BN website then football management probably ain't for you...(not you, you, Manager, you). Only really a problem if it translates into the stands, as it did with Megson. That was toxic.
As Insane says, we're a distance off that; but things can escalate rapidly in footy and I think Evatt's latest utterances could bite him if he doesn't get results soon.

Too many of the gobby ones have seen it as complacency.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:56 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:32 pm
If we lose a game, having made an iffy start, after Evatt said what many interpreted as "We turned down loads of amazing signings" there absolutely will be some howling. It's the nature of the fan base.
Nature of noisy social media types but not the fan base. Evatt is popular.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:56 pm
It doesn't matter how popular a manager is, even Sam had moments where people were extremely unhappy at specific periods.

As has every popular player.

It won't be bedsheets and protests any time this season, but there will be issues if we don't get some wins soon.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:10 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:49 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:42 pm
As Insane says, we're a distance off that; but things can escalate rapidly in footy and I think Evatt's latest utterances could bite him if he doesn't get results soon.

Too many of the gobby ones have seen it as complacency.
Turn 'em off then. :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:11 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:05 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:56 pm
It doesn't matter how popular a manager is, even Sam had moments where people were extremely unhappy at specific periods.

As has every popular player.

It won't be bedsheets and protests any time this season, but there will be issues if we don't get some wins soon.
He has the fans onside and crucially Sharon onside. I don’t think there is anyone else for the job right now. We are dealing with Evatt refining his approach over time but for me that’s fine because it is refining.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:11 pm
He has the fans onside and crucially Sharon onside. I don’t think there is anyone else for the job right now. We are dealing with Evatt refining his approach over time but for me that’s fine because it is refining.
I'm not arguing with any of that, but you're acting like Evatt hasn't had issues here already. During the injury crisis last season we had the lads being booed off at times and fights at the away games between "Evatt out" and "Evatt in" lads.

Evatt will keep his job and navigate any issues, but he's not immune to peaks and troughs.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:46 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I'm not arguing with any of that, but you're acting like Evatt hasn't had issues here already. During the injury crisis last season we had the lads being booed off at times and fights at the away games between "Evatt out" and "Evatt in" lads.

Evatt will keep his job and navigate any issues, but he's not immune to peaks and troughs.
Seriously mate, Evatt has had fcuk all demonstrable issues, comparative with some others. Megson got booed when he was sat in the stand prior to to his first game and other than we beat United and Atletico, it didn't improve much. If this us a problem (for him, not you), then he might have a problem with his career objectives, but he doesn't strike me like that. There will often be more people saying you're wrong than you're right.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:46 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Seriously mate, Evatt has had fcuk all demonstrable issues, comparative with some others. Megson got booed when he was sat in the stand prior to to his first game and other than we beat United and Atletico, it didn't improve much. If this us a problem (for him, not you), then he might have a problem with his career objectives, but he doesn't strike me like that. There will often be more people saying you're wrong than you're right.
Indeed. We are a pretty nice fan base with most managers. You get an easy time here generally. He wouldn’t cope at many clubs if a few social media types is enough to upset him. I think he’s probably pretty thick skinned and has definitely for me toned down the rhetoric this season and it feels a lot less volatile, which is good.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
I'm genuinely baffled as to why you two have read me as saying Evatt won't cope with pressure. I'll have to reread what I wrote. It's two of you, so it's clearly me wording it badly.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:47 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:11 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
I'm genuinely baffled as to why you two have read me as saying Evatt won't cope with pressure. I'll have to reread what I wrote. It's two of you, so it's clearly me wording it badly.
I don't think it's one post, Ghost, you post quite a lot about what Twitter/BN posters who are "anti" everything are saying. Most of us don't don't actually give a feck about social media :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:13 pm
I wish he’d get someone with experience and know how to fix our attacking set pieces though.
Still not confident on our defensive set pieces either, meself.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:37 am

Oh god no. It sort of went unremarked on that Plymouth got a shot away from about 8 yards from a corner rolled in on the ground to the near post from a corner. Ipswich-esque. We're criminally bad at them.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:20 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:37 am
Oh god no. It sort of went unremarked on that Plymouth got a shot away from about 8 yards from a corner rolled in on the ground to the near post from a corner. Ipswich-esque. We're criminally bad at them.
Let's hope we can make that past tense and we've learned a lesson. Luis corners, just like Roberto Carlos free kicks aren't a priority in the instruction manuals..but they happen. Maybe we should take a lesson from the Boy Scout's "be prepared" for anything.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:05 am

Prufrock wrote:
Evatt's rationale, aside from just not liking practicing set pieces, seemed to be that we'd get more benefit from drilling general play stuff.

I'm kind of fine with that, but we're at the stage now where the patterns and things are fairly well executed. As you'd expect from a manager two years into a gig. We need those marginal gains now and of all of them, set pieces are the least marginal.

If we want to compete with better teams this season, to get out of the division, we have to get serious about things like that.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:13 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:05 am
Prufrock wrote:
Evatt's rationale, aside from just not liking practicing set pieces, seemed to be that we'd get more benefit from drilling general play stuff.

I'm kind of fine with that, but we're at the stage now where the patterns and things are fairly well executed. As you'd expect from a manager two years into a gig. We need those marginal gains now and of all of them, set pieces are the least marginal.

If we want to compete with better teams this season, to get out of the division, we have to get serious about things like that.
Aye, I can see it's partly balance, we just have it a bit wrong atm. I don't expect us to become the absolute best at them (though it does seem an odd blind spot given how good e.g. City, Liverpool, Arsenal etc are at them), but not be hair tearingly awful. Especially especially given how much he talks about not conceding the first goal.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:22 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:13 am
Aye, I can see it's partly balance, we just have it a bit wrong atm. I don't expect us to become the absolute best at them (though it does seem an odd blind spot given how good e.g. City, Liverpool, Arsenal etc are at them), but not be hair tearingly awful. Especially especially given how much he talks about not conceding the first goal.
It's a bit trite, I know, but any team that plays with 3 centre backs and a big holding midfielder should really be better at set pieces than we are. The issue is arguably that two of our back three are below 6' and it may be that if Toal, Aimson and Iredale started getting into those wide centre back positions that we'd naturally improve - even if the coaching didn't.

It was Aimson who nodded in vs Charlton last time, wasn't it?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:45 am

Interview with loanee Conor B. Pretty generic but here is your content fill.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62975667
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.