Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:59 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:26 pm
Kasumu a key player for MK Dons? Didn't he start about a dozen games last season?
23 appearances, chased by Champo sides, I'll take it where I can find it :D

Very happy to see potential opponents weakened, especially without transfer fees (tho they might get development buttons for him)

Any assessment of promotion hopefuls' strengths and weaknesses needs to take into account our lack of significant losses compared to most of the challengers

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:20 pm

Max Wilcox appears to have left our U18s to join Brentford B.

Hadn’t particularly seen him talked up, but Brentford obviously know what they’re doing, so maybe we’ve lost a good un there.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:28 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:20 pm
Max Wilcox appears to have left our U18s to join Brentford B.

Hadn’t particularly seen him talked up, but Brentford obviously know what they’re doing, so maybe we’ve lost a good un there.
We're due a fee if we didn't want him to go. It's worth noting Brentford are scrambling to rebuild a development system they scrapped, so it may be they're offering a few deals out to make sure they have bodies in place to start that process.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:11 pm

The fact he signs on 1 July suggests an end-of-contract thing. As Ghost says, we're due a small bag of coins if we offered him a contract which he refused.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:23 pm

I’ve asked the question to Iles on Twitter about whether we’re due any training compo, so hopefully we’ll get an answer on that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:26 am

Not sure quite where to put this, but George Johnston - who has come back stronger after hitting the weights over summer - sees himself as a centre-back.

"I don’t think I am as versatile as Jack [Iredale] in that sense, he is more of a left wing-back than I am, but I am comfortable playing anywhere across the back three. I’m left-footed, so maybe better on that side, but if I got shifted across, I could cope."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:54 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:26 am
Not sure quite where to put this, but George Johnston - who has come back stronger after hitting the weights over summer - sees himself as a centre-back.

"I don’t think I am as versatile as Jack [Iredale] in that sense, he is more of a left wing-back than I am, but I am comfortable playing anywhere across the back three. I’m left-footed, so maybe better on that side, but if I got shifted across, I could cope."
Saw him in a photo and credit to the lad for beefing up. Will no doubt help him and I think he’s most naturally a centre half in a back three.

I hope he learns to time his jumps better as I think as well as physicality which he’s clearly worked on his size means he needs to be better at that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:54 am
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:26 am

Saw him in a photo and credit to the lad for beefing up. Will no doubt help him and I think he’s most naturally a centre half in a back three.

I hope he learns to time his jumps better as I think as well as physicality which he’s clearly worked on his size means he needs to be better at that.
Yeah - positioning and heading for me was where he needed some work. But all hope is not yet lost!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:54 am
Yeah - positioning and heading for me was where he needed some work. But all hope is not yet lost!
Considering his manager is a former centre-back, his first-team coach is a former centre-back, and his assistant manager is a former right-back who also played at centre-back despite only being 5'10", you'd imagine they'd be able to help. Or you'd hope so.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:14 pm

Johnston had a decent second half of the season. It was a harsh learning curve and he was dropped for a bit, but he came back from it and showed he can defend. He's bulking up and that's important.

He can be part of a promotion push, but we still need a top centre back. All this "I can play on the right of a three" worries me a bit.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:02 pm

Yeah that’s the bit that caught my eye - it’s not going to be a regular thing I hope. But say we are playing Morecambe he might be a bit more useful than Aimson on the right hand side. Overlapping then cutting in onto his left a la Gary Cahill!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:17 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:02 pm
Yeah that’s the bit that caught my eye - it’s not going to be a regular thing I hope. But say we are playing Morecambe he might be a bit more useful than Aimson on the right hand side. Overlapping then cutting in onto his left a la Gary Cahill!
Not for me, Manish.

I mean, maybe he's a better fit (with the ball) than Aimson, if Iredale locks down LCB. But it's still an uncomfortable fit. Those outside centre-backs need to be able to open themselves up while receiving the ball at pace, recycling quickly to a man in front of them – whether that's LWB, a midfielder or an alley-ball through to a forward.

Johnston played a number of those last season up what Guardiola (and therefore presumably Evatt) calls the "half-spaces" - the inside-left channel, in old money. It's about speed of thought and limb, and if you're having to compensate for being on your wrong foot, it takes longer and is less likely to work.

You also have, in a proper overload situation, the tactic of the outside centre-back overlapping the wingback (yes, the "overlapping centre-backs" made famous by Sheffield United). But I can't imagine that Johnston bombing down the right will be the source of many goals. One decoy run, maybe, but after that, nah.

Just compare him in your mind's eye to Gethin in that role. Hmm.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:56 pm

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... e-24363650

Bodvarrson nails it. If we want to go up we need to be able to do the ugly stuff and scrap a number of games out. You need that side to your game in this league and to play when it’s possible to.

His higher level experience telling. But he’s bang on.

If we don’t add a couple to help with this I fear that top two will be out of reach again.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:27 pm

Heh. I knew you'd love that

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:36 pm

Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:17 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:02 pm
Not for me, Manish.

I mean, maybe he's a better fit (with the ball) than Aimson, if Iredale locks down LCB. But it's still an uncomfortable fit. Those outside centre-backs need to be able to open themselves up while receiving the ball at pace, recycling quickly to a man in front of them – whether that's LWB, a midfielder or an alley-ball through to a forward.

Johnston played a number of those last season up what Guardiola (and therefore presumably Evatt) calls the "half-spaces" - the inside-left channel, in old money. It's about speed of thought and limb, and if you're having to compensate for being on your wrong foot, it takes longer and is less likely to work.

You also have, in a proper overload situation, the tactic of the outside centre-back overlapping the wingback (yes, the "overlapping centre-backs" made famous by Sheffield United). But I can't imagine that Johnston bombing down the right will be the source of many goals. One decoy run, maybe, but after that, nah.

Just compare him in your mind's eye to Gethin in that role. Hmm.
In my hypothetical Gethin was injured…Johnston might have an advantage over Aimson in certain games. He will in Evatts mind I’ll bet. But I’d rather we upgraded on the position full stop.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:45 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:36 pm
In my hypothetical Gethin was injured…Johnston might have an advantage over Aimson in certain games. He will in Evatts mind I’ll bet. But I’d rather we upgraded on the position full stop.
Fair enough. In the "attack vs defence" hypothetical we might just not bother with the third centre-back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:46 pm

Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:27 pm
He’s right. No team has been promoted without being able to dig results out one way or another. And in this league that needs some ability to scrap and deal with a physical threat.

The two automatically promoted sides last season show that. You could even argue that of the play off sides bar Wycombe Sunderland were the least good at playing football. But they ground out results when it mattered.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:46 pm
He’s right. No team has been promoted without being able to dig results out one way or another. And in this league that needs some ability to scrap and deal with a physical threat.

The two automatically promoted sides last season show that. You could even argue that of the play off sides bar Wycombe Sunderland were the least good at playing football. But they ground out results when it mattered.
Glad you liked it. So far up your alley I'm surprised he didn't finish with "and would it KILL YOU to play a big man in midfield?!" :mrgreen: :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:22 pm

Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:46 pm

Glad you liked it. So far up your alley I'm surprised he didn't finish with "and would it KILL YOU to play a big man in midfield?!" :mrgreen: :lol:
Given he’s in the group and isn’t just going to say thing contrary to discussions in training and given a few seem to have bulked up considerably over the summer my guess is that Evatt is thinking exactly this way too.

He’s a smart bloke. He will have analysed the league. He knows we can win a lot of games playing our game. But not all games and sometimes we need that more physical edge.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:21 pm

One for G.G.Here. Arsenal right back, Brooke Norton Cuffy, 18 and plays for England under 19's. Current value about 300,360 k. Skilled ball player, pacy and worth a punt I.M.O.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?