Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 10, 2022 4:55 pm

If we played a back four then Beevers and Santos could be a great pairing.

Not in a back five like.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue May 10, 2022 5:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:48 pm
Take the point but 2 overage outfield players per position is a lot at this level, especially when we now have versatility between systems. And even that would leave you two more spots to 22.

Putting it this way, I'd be very very surprised if we finished this window with 10 defenders (6xCB +4xFB) as well as Sadlier and Isgrove. I'm not *that* worried about running out of room. I think we'll be expecting several players to be cover for several positions.

Even now, if say if the gun forward became available I think we'd try to move Isgrove or Kacha on, just from a happy squad size perspective, rather than registration issues. And I v much doubt Darcy will be registered unless we happen to have a space.

I know we bumped up against numbers last year but that was mainly due to churn of lots of players not up to it, I'm hoping we don't need to see that this summer!
I can confirm that I am available.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 10, 2022 6:19 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:48 pm
Even now, if say if the gun forward became available I think we'd try to move Isgrove or Kacha on, just from a happy squad size perspective, rather than registration issues. And I v much doubt Darcy will be registered unless we happen to have a space.
As was mentioned the other day, Tom Barkhuizen is in need of employment and you'd think he'd be a natural Championship upgrade on Izzy. Plus with the links to Evatt it is fun to speculate we might have an interest

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 10, 2022 6:45 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:21 pm
Oh, also, for those (like me) who take note of past relationships in the game - it was Markham who did the work to get Izzy to Huddersfield. He strongly believed he could play Premier League football, from what was said at the time.
Iredale was "straight on the phone" to Gethin when he heard we were interested.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... rers-move/

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 10, 2022 6:50 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:45 pm

It's really important at this level. As is having ties to an area. Iredale's partner is fairly local.

League One footballers earn more than the average bloke on the street, but not so much that relocating isn't an issue. Partners can't just quit jobs, kids can't get private tutors to follow them around the world, etc.

You'd imagine we'd have a shot at Barkhuizen if we wanted him for those reasons. He's based locally, his family is rooted here and he knows people at the club.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 10, 2022 6:56 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:50 pm
Tue May 10, 2022 6:45 pm

It's really important at this level. As is having ties to an area. Iredale's partner is fairly local.

League One footballers earn more than the average bloke on the street, but not so much that relocating isn't an issue. Partners can't just quit jobs, kids can't get private tutors to follow them around the world, etc.

You'd imagine we'd have a shot at Barkhuizen if we wanted him for those reasons. He's based locally, his family is rooted here and he knows people at the club.
Although he has been linked (last month) with a move to Belgium.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/t ... d-23665013

Bloody Belgians, bagging our Barkhuizens and trousering our Traffords.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 10, 2022 7:25 pm

Someone called "Agent McGee" on Twitter has linked us with an unnamed Prem U21 forward on loan and Twitter is now playing a guessing game.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 10, 2022 7:30 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:25 pm
Someone called "Agent McGee" on Twitter has linked us with an unnamed Prem U21 forward on loan and Twitter is now playing a guessing game.
Attention junkie.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 10, 2022 7:55 pm

Tue May 10, 2022 7:30 pm
Attention junkie.
Certainly looks that way. Tis the season for it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 10, 2022 8:05 pm

Just to play a little game that Ghost might like…

It’s Sunday 12th August, 2012. Barely 18 months before, Blackpool were Premier League; now, having been beaten in the Play-Off final by West Ham, they’re hoping to go one better – but first, they start their campaign with a Sunday League Cup game at home to fourth-tier neighbours Morecambe.

It’s an experienced backline. Ian Evatt, 30, is Blackpool’s longest-serving player; although he doesn’t know it yet, this will be his last season with the Tangerines. Alongside him at centre-back is Alex Baptiste, who had been vocal in his contempt for Sam Allardyce’s Wembley victors: “They just hoof it and hope for the best.” He, too, is in what turns out to be his final Blackpool season before flitting to Bolton, who seem a better bet. Behind them is goalkeeper Matt Gilks, who’s just ticked into his 30s.

It doesn’t go well: the Shrimps go ahead within six minutes. Ian Holloway makes a half-time substitute, but Blackpool don’t score. Indeed it’s Morecambe who score again. Before the hour, Ollie makes another change, but Blackpool still don’t score. With 15 minutes left, he plays his final card: off goes thirtysomething Gary Taylor-Fletcher, who always had the whiff of the pub car park about him, and brings on a teenage academy product called Tom Barkhuizen. Two minutes later, Baptiste reduces the arrears, but Morecambe hold on to win.

It’s the only time Evatt plays alongside Barkhuizen, but the kid plays alongside Baptiste eight times in total, Gilks 16 times and Nathan Delfouneso nine times. Barkhuizen never makes the grade at Blackpool and instead goes to Morecambe, initially on a brief loan. In his first full season there, 2015/16, Barkhuizen plays 40 games and scores 10. He’s not the top scorer, though – that’s another summer freebie, sent from Coventry: a bloke called Shaun Miller.

Small world, football.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 10, 2022 8:15 pm

I certainly prefer that kind of thing to people on Twitter naming all the best loan signings on Football Manager and DMing Alan Nixon.

In other news, leggy and skilful midfield runner Panutche Camara has been made available for transfer by Plymouth because he's rejected a bumper new contract and they can't afford to let him run his deal down.

Now that's a player Evatt could make something of. Not sure he's what Evatt would feel we need, but he's really entertaining.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 10, 2022 8:30 pm

That McGee bloke seems to have got a lot right about us. Claims to live in Dubai. And seems to interact with our ex players. No idea who he is whether he’s just a good guesser or what. But has a history of predicting even exactly when we announce a deal. But we will see over time.

I’m too old for all the twitter guessing shenanigans now.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 10, 2022 8:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 8:30 pm
I’m too old for all the twitter guessing shenanigans now.
Na, you're never too old for shenanigans.

I'm considering guessing the young German forward Fuller Schiit I just made up and will probably say plays for Arsenal. No doubt someone will have seen him play really well at some point.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 10, 2022 8:54 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 8:15 pm
I certainly prefer that kind of thing to people on Twitter naming all the best loan signings on Football Manager and DMing Alan Nixon.

In other news, leggy and skilful midfield runner Panutche Camara has been made available for transfer by Plymouth because he's rejected a bumper new contract and they can't afford to let him run his deal down.

Now that's a player Evatt could make something of. Not sure he's what Evatt would feel we need, but he's really entertaining.
Bit behind my paywall, tomorrow.

Apparently, we were after Matt Platt last summer :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 10, 2022 8:54 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:

Yeah, he's good. But you imagine they'd want a bob or two for him.

BWFC_Insane wrote:
That McGee bloke seems to have got a lot right about us. Claims to live in Dubai. And seems to interact with our ex players. No idea who he is whether he’s just a good guesser or what. But has a history of predicting even exactly when we announce a deal. But we will see over time.
Said Baptiste would be captain, and he wasn’t.
Said we’d get Jackson Irvine, and we didn’t.
Said Crellin would be sent back in January, and he wasn’t.
Hinted we’d get Omar Abdulrahman, and we didn’t.
On the day Sarcevic left, strongly hinted that someone else would immediately be out the door too (after widespread speculation Doyle would go too), but they didn’t.
A week later, when Comley was paid off, tried to make out this was “the other one”.

And that's just the undeleted tweets.

To be fair, 'he' has been accurate on the release time of two tweets in January. So it's someone with access to the media department, then.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 10, 2022 9:04 pm

Tue May 10, 2022 8:54 pm

You'd also imagine he might get an offer from a bit higher up.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 10, 2022 9:10 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:04 pm

You'd also imagine he might get an offer from a bit higher up.
Like from his old boss up the M61?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 10, 2022 9:18 pm

Tue May 10, 2022 9:10 pm
Like from his old boss up the M61?
A Lowe blow to our transfer plans you mean?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 11, 2022 7:00 am

A new link this morning which might make a degree of sense (though the account is, to my eye, a chancer). We had folk buzzing around Millwall a fair bit at the start of the year. Obviously we picked up Dad Bod, but we were also looking at Billy Mitchell. The link is to the other Mitchell, Alex, who is a centre half who was on loan at Orient (a loan which was regarded as a success).....and that is the sum total of my knowledge about his playing ability.

He signed a long term deal last summer and I am told he is well thought of still, so a permanent deal seems unlikely (not impossible, as Millwall do sell). I'm also told Millwall loaning him to Orient was conditional on him playing regular football, so that makes me look at it a bit suspiciously. I have zero personal knowledge on this one (others on here may know more), I'm going entirely off some texts with a mate down there.

Anyway, Alex Mitchell is the latest link...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 11, 2022 7:55 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Said Baptiste would be captain, and he wasn’t.
Said we’d get Jackson Irvine, and we didn’t.
Said Crellin would be sent back in January, and he wasn’t.
Hinted we’d get Omar Abdulrahman, and we didn’t.
On the day Sarcevic left, strongly hinted that someone else would immediately be out the door too (after widespread speculation Doyle would go too), but they didn’t.
A week later, when Comley was paid off, tried to make out this was “the other one”.

And that's just the undeleted tweets.

To be fair, 'he' has been accurate on the release time of two tweets in January. So it's someone with access to the media department, then.
Yeah thanks. I’d not been following closely or much at all just noted he seemed to get a few things right. But obviously the context is lots of things wrong too.

It’s probably Lee Anderson.