Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 11, 2022 8:27 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:55 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 8:54 pm
To be fair, 'he' has been accurate on the release time of two tweets in January. So it's someone with access to the media department, then.
Yeah thanks. I’d not been following closely or much at all just noted he seemed to get a few things right. But obviously the context is lots of things wrong too.

It’s probably Lee Anderson.
"Confirm" a rumour. Emphasise any "correct" link. Move on quickly from anything wrong. It's not unlike Clinton Baptiste cold-reading.
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:00 am
He signed a long term deal last summer and I am told he is well thought of still, so a permanent deal seems unlikely (not impossible, as Millwall do sell). I'm also told Millwall loaning him to Orient was conditional on him playing regular football, so that makes me look at it a bit suspiciously. I have zero personal knowledge on this one (others on here may know more), I'm going entirely off some texts with a mate down there.

Anyway, Alex Mitchell is the latest link...
He's variously described as "tall", "towering" and "6ft3", so that's the first tick. Born 7 Oct 2001 and thus underage, so that's another. One Orient fan analysis describes him as "not the most expansive on the ball", but then he was playing for a Kenny Jackett team so he probably wasn't encouraged to unleash his inner Santos. Perhaps interestingly he was playing in a back three for Orient, having played in a back four for Millwall's youth teams.

In spring 2021 Millwall loaned him to Bromley, where he impressed Lions boss Gary Rowett: "He has done really well for a young centre-back, to go and play non-league and handle the physicality of it. But Alex is like a man already – he has already got the physicality of a man. He has got a great attitude, like so many of our young lads have... if you handle one level well then there are always opportunities to see if you can handle it at the next level or come back and be in the first-team here. If a player does well then I never ever want to disrupt that... [going] back into the U23s, it feels like a step back for them in terms of their development because they have tasted first-team football and playing on Saturday at three o’clock... Ultimately you want to create momentum, keep it going and give them that league experience as well.”

So off he went to Orient. Millwall wouldn't let him play in the FA Cup just in case they needed to recall him, but Rowett always intended him to stay out: “We just wanted to leave that option. We spoke to Kenny [Jackett] the other day, we had a good conversation. He is really pleased with Alex and it is about where we see him after January. The plans at the moment are not to recall him, but we need to leave that open... The intention for all the loan players is hopefully they stay out and play football but you have to leave that little leeway.”

In December, Orient were just outside the play-offs, but stuttered badly and fell to lower mid-table. During that blip, Mitchell picked up an injury in Feb which required an op. He returned in April.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 11, 2022 9:04 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:50 pm

It's really important at this level. As is having ties to an area. Iredale's partner is fairly local.
Talking of which, I'm sure I read somewhere that Iredale's Scottish. Doesn't sound it to me.
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 11, 2022 9:14 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:04 am
Talking of which, I'm sure I read somewhere that Iredale's Scottish. Doesn't sound it to me.
Born there. Moved to NZ as a kid, then to Oz. Came back a few years ago to have a crack at being a footballer.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 11, 2022 9:24 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:14 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:04 am
Born there. Moved to NZ as a kid, then to Oz. Came back a few years ago to have a crack at being a footballer.
Ahhh. Mind you, I was born in Staffordshire, and I'm yet to call anybody "Mi duck".
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 11, 2022 11:28 am

Interesting to see that Watford's managerial tombola has suggested Forest Green's Rob Edwards, with Adam Leventhal - an Athletic writer well-connected at Vicarage Road - saying talks are at an advanced stage.

The manager leaving might tip a player or two into thinking FGR's arc might have reached its zenith, too. Among their players mentioned in these threads are stellar right wingback Kane Wilson - out of contract and almost certain to leave anyway - plus left winger/wingback Nicky Cadden (Ghost's fancy) and centre-back Udo Godwin-Malife (Brommers blog).

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 11, 2022 11:31 am

Could add Ebou Adams to that list.

It's not impossible that Kane Wilson now ends up at Watford.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 11, 2022 11:34 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 11:31 am
Could add Ebou Adams to that list.
Another out of contract. Either FGR don't know what they're doing, or the players are actively ready to leave the stepping stone.

Adams was linked last month with Cardiff, which is a lot nearer for him, but has received a contract offer from Blackpool, which isn't.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 11, 2022 2:18 pm

FGR's owner had no idea their manager was going to Watford. He's livid. Likely to be even more annoyed if Rob starts taking his players.

It's genuinely awful behaviour from their manager. Given them no time to prepare.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed May 11, 2022 2:19 pm

It's Dale Vince, so my sympathy is somewhat limited

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 11, 2022 4:49 pm

This time it's Jacob Mendy of Boreham Wood.

A few on here will probably have seen him in the FA Cup. Big, solid, athletic lad who sees the game well. Looks a league player, but League One is a huge step up from non-league.

Anyway, it's that EFL account again so could just be made up.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 11, 2022 6:02 pm

T'gaffer: "things change hourly, never mind daily in a transfer window so we’re always doing what we can to make the best decisions for this football club.... I'm very busy. I might get an hour off but other than that I am full tilt – first team, B team, recruiting staff and players, pre-season planning – there’s lot to do.”

Plus more on Iredale and the Portugal trip.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... -addition/

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 11, 2022 7:35 pm

Marc Iles is discussing rumours around Cole Stockton. Seems to be saying in another tweet that the fee puts us off, but we are in for a striker.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 11, 2022 8:19 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 6:02 pm
T'gaffer: "things change hourly, never mind daily in a transfer window so we’re always doing what we can to make the best decisions for this football club.... I'm very busy. I might get an hour off but other than that I am full tilt – first team, B team, recruiting staff and players, pre-season planning – there’s lot to do.”

Plus more on Iredale and the Portugal trip.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... -addition/
I am a bit curious as to why a Fossey announcement is taking a while, given the rumours that "most things were agreed" a ways back...You might have thought if that was the case, it'd have been out of the door quicker than Iredale...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 11, 2022 8:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:19 pm
I am a bit curious as to why a Fossey announcement is taking a while, given the rumours that "most things were agreed" a ways back...You might have thought if that was the case, it'd have been out of the door quicker than Iredale...
My working assumption has been that he's not yet fit enough to do the medical. He was doing assessments at Fulham using a low-G treadmill. Until he can run freely he can't do all the tests and as there's no rush they're not going to push him.

Like I say, it's an assumption. I've no idea how far along he is now, but I do expect him to sign once he is fit.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 11, 2022 8:42 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:26 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:19 pm
My working assumption has been that he's not yet fit enough to do the medical. He was doing assessments at Fulham using a low-G treadmill. Until he can run freely he can't do all the tests and as there's no rush they're not going to push him.

Like I say, it's an assumption. I've no idea how far along he is now, but I do expect him to sign once he is fit.
Gotcha. Sounds very plausible/likely... :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 11, 2022 8:55 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:42 pm
Just have to hope his surgery went well. I want to see the daft bastard back doing his flips and ripping fullbacks to pieces.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 11, 2022 9:04 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:55 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:42 pm
Just have to hope his surgery went well. I want to see the daft bastard back doing his flips and ripping fullbacks to pieces.
With his knee, I'd fine the bugger for doing back flips... :-)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 11, 2022 10:42 pm

He was on the grass last week doing sprints and agility work on and around the floor ladders
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 11, 2022 11:09 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:42 pm
He was on the grass last week doing sprints and agility work on and around the floor ladders
Yeah, I saw that. They said he was ahead of schedule, which is always promising. The recent flood of rumours would seem to indicate that all parties are confident it'll happen. Fulham's meds won't be springing any surprises on us and we'll have been kept in the loop and assessing him as he goes. Should be fine.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu May 12, 2022 3:34 pm

Nahki Wells will supposedly be allowed to leave Bristol City for nothing this summer (still has a year left on his current deal).

Signed for £5m in 2020 so will be on serious ££££££ and would have to take a serious pay cut wherever he goes.

Not suggesting he’s a realistic target or we’d even be interested, but worth highlighting there’s a solid link between him and Chris Markham, with the two of them both at Huddersfield between 2014 and 2017…