Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:47 pm
This is what he said. So I don’t think I’m reading much into that at all. He’s more or less said it in words there.
He also said, word for word, "pound for pound" and talked about performance vs cost - having previously talked about the difficulty of competing directly with teams who can spend like Sheff Wed or Ipswich can.

Unless we want to pretend that that part of his utterances had no actual value and he was just talking for the sake of it :conf:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:12 pm

I can't honestly say I have much interest in a schism in the Church of Evatt over textual interpretation, so we might as well just see how we go.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:21 pm

I wonder what sort of player we’ve been offered? I mean I came into the last fortnight of the window wondering about borrowing centre-backs from Blackburn and Stoke, and here we are batting off Pelés by the dozen.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:21 pm
I wonder what sort of player we’ve been offered? I mean I came into the last fortnight of the window wondering about borrowing centre-backs from Blackburn and Stoke, and here we are batting off Pelés by the dozen.
It depends if we lose the next game or not. If we lose then we'll have turned down world class players and if we win they will have been lads who wouldn't have made much of a difference.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:27 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:47 pm
This is what he said. So I don’t think I’m reading much into that at all. He’s more or less said it in words there.
He also said, word for word, "pound for pound" and talked about performance vs cost - having previously talked about the difficulty of competing directly with teams who can spend like Sheff Wed or Ipswich can.

Unless we want to pretend that that part of his utterances had no actual value and he was just talking for the sake of it :conf:
Pound for pound was in relation to their relative value for the money they would cost compared to what we have now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:31 pm

My take on Evatt's words, actual or percieved, is that he wouldn't fancy taking someone on [insert your own multiplier] 5 times our wage that was only 10% improvement...as much not to spread discontent and knob waving, than owt else...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:31 pm
My take on Evatt's words, actual or percieved, is that he wouldn't fancy taking someone on [insert your own multiplier] 5 times our wage that was only 10% improvement...as much not to spread discontent and knob waving, than owt else...
...but he's going to stick around in the hope that he can get one of them at a much reduced wage percentage is how I read it.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:43 pm

Would be nice to have signed a b team player just to day weve signed someone

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:27 pm
Pound for pound was in relation to their relative value for the money they would cost compared to what we have now.
"I think we’ve got good balance everywhere and pound for pound I think we’re getting really good value from the squad."

He's talking about the relative quality of the squad we have now. At this stage you've just made a mistake and are hoping people can't read.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:48 pm

Mar wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:43 pm
Would be nice to have signed a b team player just to day weve signed someone
I rather like the B team.

Obviously I want the lads to kick on and start dragging themselves up the division. If they don't, though, there are a couple in the Bs I'd not mind having a look at over the next few months.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:11 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:27 pm
"I think we’ve got good balance everywhere and pound for pound I think we’re getting really good value from the squad."

He's talking about the relative quality of the squad we have now. At this stage you've just made a mistake and are hoping people can't read.
“I think we’ve ally strong squad and pound for pound have amazing value in our squad and I do believe that we’ve got a very good squad of players in all areas that are capable of doing special things. We have to go out there and prove that, but for now if I don’t think the market value outweighs or trades off with what I think we’ve got in the building already then the answer will be no and we’ll walk away and that’s at the stage we’re at right now.”
I can read and more than a single line taken out of context. And it’s clear what Evatt has said. Crystal clear.

Sorry it doesn’t fit with your narrative but there it goes.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:23 pm

Kachunga, Bakayoko, Afolayan, Charles, Bodvarson. Probably the reason I.E. hasn't rushed to sign front men. They'd have to be considerably better than what we have without any added expense. Makes sense.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:30 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:56 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:14 pm
I doubt we should forget how close we came to going pop. If he thinks the investment ain't going to deliver the returns, I'd rather that than running up a bill and landing 7th...
I think we all agree with that.
Indeed, however, I'm struggling to accept that there isn't an affordable goalkeeper out there somewhere who's better than Dixon.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:23 pm
Kachunga, Bakayoko, Afolayan, Charles, Bodvarson. Probably the reason I.E. hasn't rushed to sign front men. They'd have to be considerably better than what we have without any added expense. Makes sense.
p.s. Swap an "l" for an "i" and Marc Illes becomes miracles. Just thought I'd mention that. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:34 pm

Sometimes, it's difficult not to snigger. Dieing, jilted Leeds at lunchtime after agreeing terms, rocked up at Nice (I think) and has just failed his medical...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:59 pm

And we bid farewell to another Transfer spectacular . I suppose it's been decent, so bring on the dancers and on with it.. :oyea:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:28 am

So - Bonne passed a medical at Charlton but deal fell down at very last minute for some unexplained reason. Maybe QPR wanted a replacement that fell through?

Either way good they missed out and I guess shows that even if we had been in for him it wouldn’t have worked out.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:38 am

Good morning world, it's a brand new day... :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:28 am
So - Bonne passed a medical at Charlton but deal fell down at very last minute for some unexplained reason. Maybe QPR wanted a replacement that fell through?

Either way good they missed out and I guess shows that even if we had been in for him it wouldn’t have worked out.
Hard to know, other than that it'll mean the link comes back in January whether we are in for him or not.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:09 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:38 am
Good morning world, it's a brand new day... :D
All focus now shifts to games and the pressure is now entirely on the manager.

If we don't beat Charlton there will be howls.