Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by dave the minion » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:23 am
I couldn't give a monkey's where he says he thinks we should finish when judging success this season.

Even leaving aside that he's a gobshite generally (*our* gobshite, mind) he's all into the management pseudo-bollocks on setting high standards and pressure being a privilege and all that.

I'd have us in the "behind the top 2, better than the rest" pack along with MK Dons, Plymouth, Peterborough, Barnsley, Wycombe and maybe Oxford, Portsmouth and Derby.

That's a top ten there. I think top two would be a fab achievement. Top six - good, slightly better than par. Top 8 - ok, slightly below par. Top 10 frustrating and disappointing. Outside top 10, failure.
100% where I am. I'll bet you an internet pound that we finish 7th - not quite "good, slightly better enough than par", but a bit better than "OK".
At that point, assuming we keep the core of a team, then I think we can realistically class anything the following season less than top 6 a failure.
Just because Evatt wants us to be Prem in 5 years doesn't mean we have a right to be and anything less is failure. I mean, I "want" to not have to work my nuts off 5 days a week, but I don't consider the fact I have to to pay the mortgage a failure!!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:27 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:17 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:23 am
I couldn't give a monkey's where he says he thinks we should finish when judging success this season.

Even leaving aside that he's a gobshite generally (*our* gobshite, mind) he's all into the management pseudo-bollocks on setting high standards and pressure being a privilege and all that.

I'd have us in the "behind the top 2, better than the rest" pack along with MK Dons, Plymouth, Peterborough, Barnsley, Wycombe and maybe Oxford, Portsmouth and Derby.

That's a top ten there. I think top two would be a fab achievement. Top six - good, slightly better than par. Top 8 - ok, slightly below par. Top 10 frustrating and disappointing. Outside top 10, failure.
100% where I am. I'll bet you an internet pound that we finish 7th - not quite "good, slightly better enough than par", but a bit better than "OK".
At that point, assuming we keep the core of a team, then I think we can realistically class anything the following season less than top 6 a failure.
Just because Evatt wants us to be Prem in 5 years doesn't mean we have a right to be and anything less is failure. I mean, I "want" to not have to work my nuts off 5 days a week, but I don't consider the fact I have to to pay the mortgage a failure!!!
Why would keeping the same group together and finishing 7th then necessarily lead to the season after being a failure if top 6 was missed? The form we showed with this group second half was top 6 possibly even better. We’ve added some improvements to the squad in that we have better backup defensive options at the very least.

So I don’t really see why we’d not be thinking of seriously challenging the top 6. And if we aren’t I’d question how we ever would given that I doubt we will significantly improve on the group of attacking players we currently have at our disposal. And a future season would likely be a rebuild after we had to sell one or two.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:26 pm

Given how different we were pre and post Jan, failing to make playoffs would definitely be a failure.
We've just had 6 months of playoff form. To not make them would be a backwards step.
Not necessarily a sackable one, but definitely a step back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:03 pm

^^ He better not lose to Salford on Tuesday...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:03 pm
A week Tuesday….

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:06 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:03 pm
A week Tuesday….
Yeah, I had us playing Ipswich last Tuesday...Must buck up. 😉

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:31 pm

One time Bolton target Anthony Hartigan signs for......... Mansfield.

Perhaps not the move he was hoping for.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:34 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:31 pm

Oh dear, nevermind. Has Fossey rocked up anywhere yet?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:20 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:34 pm
The_Gun wrote:

To my knowledge he is in the Premier League with Fulham :wink:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:08 pm

The_Gun wrote:

Mansfield were also after Ryan Broom, who did well for Plymouth on loan from Peterborough last season. He refused to speak to them. Perhaps he's been. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:13 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:20 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
The_Gun wrote:

Something a bit strange, have his twitter/Snapchat accounts been closed or did I imagine that?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:13 pm
irie Cee Bee wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:20 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Has Fossey rocked up anywhere yet?
Something a bit strange, have his twitter/Snapchat accounts been closed or did I imagine that?
You’re not wrong - Twitter account @marlonfossey_ is down. Dunno about Snap.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:58 pm

Interesting after todays match as to people's thoughts on Fossey v Bradley.

I loved watching fossey last year , electric pace but slightly suspect defensively.
Bradley from watching him today is clearly a cut above, I was surprised when IE stated earlier that Bradley was always the number one pick back in January but now I see why.

Young Conor will never be our player, neither will Trafford, but would we give up a Bradley loan for a Fossey permanent?
The team is trying to advance up the football pyramid and there is no doubt that should we achieve our promotion aim half a dozen of the current squad would be moved on next year. When we as a team are in transition then players like Bradley and Trafford are invaluable in our quest for advancement, who knows next year if championship football is achieved we could be signing real quality players of our own.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:52 am

Loans are part and parcel. Not like we never had any in the Prem, Sturridge and Wilshere spring to mind, but there were others where it's less certain they were a huge improvement. I'm sure we'd all like players to be "ours" but from the first two games Bradley looks to be a decent fit, drawing the pengy last week and assist for the first, this. Given we had some doubts about Fossey's fitness and for whatever reason the contractuals (which we'd been told were pretty much "done" by Feb) fell over. I'm happy enough that we have what looks to be a good 'un.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:05 pm

Indeed, but for evey Sturridge and Wilshire, there's an Ostomebor, a Boyata and a Miyaichi. 😉
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:05 pm
Indeed, but for evey Sturridge and Wilshire, there's an Ostomebor, a Boyata and a Miyaichi. 😉
Yeah, there was a reason I didn't start the "WTF loans list" 🤣🤣

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:16 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:58 pm
Interesting after todays match as to people's thoughts on Fossey v Bradley.

I loved watching fossey last year , electric pace but slightly suspect defensively.
Bradley from watching him today is clearly a cut above, I was surprised when IE stated earlier that Bradley was always the number one pick back in January but now I see why.

Young Conor will never be our player, neither will Trafford, but would we give up a Bradley loan for a Fossey permanent?
The team is trying to advance up the football pyramid and there is no doubt that should we achieve our promotion aim half a dozen of the current squad would be moved on next year. When we as a team are in transition then players like Bradley and Trafford are invaluable in our quest for advancement, who knows next year if championship football is achieved we could be signing real quality players of our own.
Bradley is obviously a very good player and will be a better player than Fossey in his career.

I think with the injuries it’s safer to have Bradley. In any given situation who do I think would be more effective for us? Probably Fossey as he has that pace and running power that is very hard to deal with.

But that’s how it is. And the hint from Evatt is that his injury perhaps persists this summer and is why he is still at Fulham.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:40 pm

Loans are crucial to a side wanting promotion. I haven't got time for a deep dive but Wigan borrowed two defenders who gave them half a season each; Rotherham got 82 games out of three loanees; Sheff Wed an astonishing 167 out of their nine. We simply can't afford - competitively or financially - not to examine those kind of options.

As I've said, there are two types of loans: wunderkinder we're unlikely to keep unless their ideal career trajectory dips (Bradley, Trafford), and slightly older ones for whom that's already happened (Dapo, Fossey). I hope we can pick up a couple of the latter this month and/or Jan, because they can become financial assets. There is a risk in being a shop window – we managed to keep Dapo but clearly Fossey fancied gearing up a division - but it's the main way I can see our financial plan working.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:11 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:05 pm
Yeah, there was a reason I didn't start the "WTF loans list" 🤣🤣
We should do that.

John Gregory
Mike Ring
Martin Pike

🤣
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:04 pm

Moreno, Ballista, Big Mario (rather than Super Mario), the Premier League's first Mexican..