Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:22 pm

Trafford's only 19. Obviously tough to get in at City but as long as they want to keep him which I can't see they wouldn't I'd be imagine he's happy to bide his time.

Like Ghost I'd rather we were looking at someone for keeps, but I'd be happy enough to have another loan next year. He's done really well and you'd think will only improve.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:41 pm

On the Iredale link. If we can get him and a really attacking LWB/winger in then I will feel very confident about that flank.

Iredale and Cadden, for example, would make me very confident that our left side could survive anything short of a nuclear attack.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:49 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:13 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:08 pm
Think on though, this was exactly the position with Ben Amos too. Let's just hope we remember not to gamble the farm this time.
Amos is generally regarded as having had a blinding season in Wigan's (probably) title winning run and has done well generally since leaving us.

The fact that transfer can go wrong can't put you off buying players. We have got to make money trading players if the club is to be financially viable in the long term. We can't avoid it.
I don't disagree. My point here is though that the wages we agreed to pay Amos were far more than (a) We could comfortably afford, and (b) he was worth at that time - hence our desperation in trying to loan him out. I'm quite clear (I think) in actually advocating that we do buy Trafford if he's available, whilst hoping we've learned from the (seemingly identical) Amos situation though when doing so.
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:49 pm
I don't disagree. My point here is though that the wages we agreed to pay Amos were far more than (a) We could comfortably afford, and (b) he was worth at that time - hence our desperation in trying to loan him out. I'm quite clear (I think) in actually advocating that we do buy Trafford if he's available, whilst hoping we've learned from the (seemingly identical) Amos situation though when doing so.
I think we can be fairly confident that we won't be breaking the wage structure for anyone these days. I could be wrong, but I think that's been said enough times to trust it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:07 pm

Just keeping track of where the squad for next season seems to be. Which of the U18s outfield players are we likely to throw in? We now need to consider the B team when we think about the summer window and squad depth.

Screenshot 2022-04-10 200128.png
Screenshot 2022-04-10 200128.png (63.67 KiB) Viewed 1606 times

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:14 pm

Re Trafford - presumably there’s an option where he could sign for us and city retain a decent sell on if he’s way down the pecking order? We can develop him with football and city stand a better chance of getting a fee at a later date than him running his contract down.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:16 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:14 pm
Re Trafford - presumably there’s an option where he could sign for us and city retain a decent sell on if he’s way down the pecking order? We can develop him with football and city stand a better chance of getting a fee at a later date than him running his contract down.
You'd also imagine they'd retain an option to re-sign him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:04 pm

Ghost: I take it you’re assuming Hutchinson and Senior will be offered, and sign, contract extensions. They’re due to expire in summer I believe.

Interesting - that word again - to see which of the other young uns they offer an extension to. Considering we’ve got a B team to fill you imagine the bar might be lower than they may have feared.

Might also depend what players local academies are turfing out - but if they were born before 1.1.2001 they’re overage and would require registering if they were to play first-team. For some, that might be a carrot to dangle - play well in autumn and we might register you in January. Not the tastiest carrot but I’m assuming these are lads walking through the exit door and they may not find they have a million options. I guess they could sign for Rochdale.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:12 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:07 pm
Just keeping track of where the squad for next season seems to be. Which of the U18s outfield players are we likely to throw in? We now need to consider the B team when we think about the summer window and squad depth.
I think we can probably add the following youngsters to the B team list. I don't know the overage rules of the Youth Alliance League but I guess they're getting too old for under-18 football:
- Finlay Lockett* (turned 19 today)
- Jay Fitzmartin* (turns 20 in September)
- Arran Pettifer (turns 19 in October)
- Max Conway (turns 19 in September)
- Mitch Henry (turns 19 in September)

*Assuming they sign contract extensions as their current deals expire in June

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:22 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:04 pm
Ghost: I take it you’re assuming Hutchinson and Senior will be offered, and sign, contract extensions. They’re due to expire in summer I believe.
I think so. Hutchinson I expected to be offered something anyway after what was said about him. Senior I think will now we've not gone up and are doing this B team. Could be wrong on either or both, obviously.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:48 pm

Yeah I’d say they both fit the profile. Brommers’ list too, though I fear for Fitzmartin, as he’s a year older (in “football years”). Still underage for two seasons though so it might depend how he’s done at Stalybridge. As I say, plenty spaces to fill, and Evatt’s quotes about this Wanderers generation being somewhat let down by the career-development options might just give them a better chance of getting an extension - but youth football is a necessarily brutal funnel, and if those in charge think we’re better off with other options, then so be it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:26 am

Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:48 pm
Yeah I’d say they both fit the profile. Brommers’ list too, though I fear for Fitzmartin, as he’s a year older (in “football years”). Still underage for two seasons though so it might depend how he’s done at Stalybridge. As I say, plenty spaces to fill, and Evatt’s quotes about this Wanderers generation being somewhat let down by the career-development options might just give them a better chance of getting an extension - but youth football is a necessarily brutal funnel, and if those in charge think we’re better off with other options, then so be it.
I want players in the first team who have been developed by this football club. However, I don't want sub-standard players in the squad on sentiment.

Our development system was crap and run by the wrong people. We now basically don't have one. Hopefully this summer we can start to create a new one. It sounds like we can't do a proper job yet, but we can begin to make the first lot of mistakes so we make fewer later.

I'm excited by it.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:49 am

Transfer rumour confirmed in the Bolton News;

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... er-rumour/
Last edited by sonicthewhite on Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:56 pm

Looks like Nigel "Are You An Ostrich?" Pearson is up to his old tricks again. Expect a few out the Ashton Gate door this summer.

https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/foot ... er-3649285

Ghost's old fancy Tyreeq Bakinson mentioned in passing, although he's already fled the Robins' nest and hopped on a passing Tractor, amid acrimony. https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... ol-6528897

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:18 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:49 am
Transfer rumour;

Jack Iredale was mentioned in January as a possible Preston recruit - interestingly, at wingback not LCB. He seems to be more of a left-back than a left centre-back, but has filled in at centre-back a fair few times for Cambridge this season. If he's comfortable at LWB too, then that would be nice.

Trouble is, Preston might still want him. So might Wigan, who were linked in January until Tom Pearce renewed his contract. If they're after him, and Preston are, it's a tough ask to beat two Champo clubs - but equally, sign of a good player I suppose.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:49 pm

Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:18 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:49 am
Transfer rumour;

Jack Iredale was mentioned in January as a possible Preston recruit - interestingly, at wingback not LCB. He seems to be more of a left-back than a left centre-back, but has filled in at centre-back a fair few times for Cambridge this season. If he's comfortable at LWB too, then that would be nice.

Trouble is, Preston might still want him. So might Wigan, who were linked in January until Tom Pearce renewed his contract. If they're after him, and Preston are, it's a tough ask to beat two Champo clubs - but equally, sign of a good player I suppose.
I’m fairly certain that there isn’t a player I’d sign who could play LCB and LWB in an Evatt side. So it’s one or the other. LWB needs to be far stronger going forwards than defensively. And needs a lot of pace. And mobility. And an engine.

Recruit for the role properly. Or don’t bother. I will keep saying this because it’s folly trying to sign good LBs and play them at wing back. Folly.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:19 pm

Wasn't Fossey allegedly signed as a RB? :-)
Last edited by Worthy4England on Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:23 pm

I'm wondering how Gethin feels about this absolutist demarcation

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:27 pm

Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:23 pm
I suspect he's a) not spotted it and b) couldn't give a shit!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:40 pm

Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:23 pm
Do we know of any rules changes for next season regarding squads etc? I'm wondering if we're working under the assumption that the rules they threw together last summer will be the same ones they go with again.