Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Mar » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:19 pm

Would be interesting to see the crossing success percentages for Bradley / Fossey. I think Bradley's better at coming inside with is dribbling ability whereas Fossey seemed better at getting wide and crossing in.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:28 pm

Mar wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:19 pm
Would be interesting to see the crossing success percentages for Bradley / Fossey. I think Bradley's better at coming inside with is dribbling ability whereas Fossey seemed better at getting wide and crossing in.
It certainly would, but WhoScored don't seem to do crossing. That's sort of what I went looking for... :mrgreen:

Particularly annoyingly, they split assists into crosses etc, but not non-assists.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:31 pm

Screenshot_20220901-123033_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220901-123033_Chrome.jpg (296.14 KiB) Viewed 1303 times

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:58 pm

Cheers Worthy. A lot more crosses, and more assists (TBF Bradley seems to score more himself).

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:22 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:58 pm
Cheers Worthy. A lot more crosses, and more assists (TBF Bradley seems to score more himself).
Yeah, my mental tally for Bradley has him on 1 penalty that he won and 1 goal and 1 assist in 6 games, which I'm fine with...can't recall if he also put the cross for Baka v Plymouth, which Baka contrived to miss..

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:22 pm
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:58 pm
Yeah, my mental tally for Bradley has him on 1 penalty that he won and 1 goal and 1 assist in 6 games, which I'm fine with...can't recall if he also put the cross for Baka v Plymouth, which Baka contrived to miss..
Fink that crosser was Iredale, but then I'd had a few of Argyle's lovely Atlantic Pale by then
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:46 pm

Apropos of wild guesses, mine is Macauley Bonne. Don't know why, he just seems the type we need up front.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:51 pm

Iles noting interweb rumours we're after Charlie Savage, the son-of-a-gun I mentioned here. Defensive midfielder. But still rated "unlikely".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:46 pm
Apropos of wild guesses, mine is Macauley Bonne. Don't know why, he just seems the type we need up front.
Apparently a cert to o back to Ipswich. His boyhood club
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:09 am
I’m not being funny but since going into league one Evatt has signed Dapo, Kachunga, Baka, Charles, Bod.

Are you honestly saying we need another striker? I get they’ve all started the season with their own issues but that’s 5 strikers all signed by Evatt for the level we are currently at. For two places. How many do you want?
I want 4, but I want better.

I'm not basing that on the start to the season, the start of the season was what I saw as potentially happening with the lads we had in - which is why I wanted a top player in.

Like I say, if we do the business we need to do someone will have to leave.

Ty Simpson just signed for Huddersfield, which knocks one off my list pf hopefuls. We still need to improve by one in attack and one in midfield.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:03 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:52 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
East Anglian Daily Times reported yesterday that McKenna would prefer other targets. Like I say, 11 of Bonne's 12 Ipswich goals last season came under Paul Cook - under McKenna he got he one in 21 appearances.

That said, some of McKenna's targets are going elsewhere - George Hirst to Blackburn, for example. And they have just let Ty Simpson go, as Ghost notes, so there's a space.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:34 pm

Heard we're being linked with Charlie Savage from Utd's youth team. Get the impression that would be us doing Man Utd a favour as I suspect we're interested in players that have already been involved in the style of play Evatt is used to, whereas I think Man Utd don't have that approach.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:39 pm

Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:03 pm
boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
East Anglian Daily Times reported yesterday that McKenna would prefer other targets. Like I say, 11 of Bonne's 12 Ipswich goals last season came under Paul Cook - under McKenna he got he one in 21 appearances.

That said, some of McKenna's targets are going elsewhere - George Hirst to Blackburn, for example. And they have just let Ty Simpson go, as Ghost notes, so there's a space.
They've just signed Panutche Camara for 500k dunno how much that leaves them in the piggy bank.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:46 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:39 pm
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:03 pm
boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

They've just signed Panutche Camara for 500k dunno how much that leaves them in the piggy bank.
They've spent big this summer. Again.

Pan Camara impressed me for Plymouth last season, decent midfielder of the big and bustling type many of us would like Evatt to add, but they listed him when he refused an extension. Argyle have done well to get that money for him but I guess Ipswich see it as a price worth paying.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:16 pm

Evatt says not much is happening. I think we are done. It’s not Evatts style to pull a random late signing off. I think anyone we seriously wanted would have emerged by now.

Squad is better than the one we ended last season with. So I think that’s good. That one was showing automatic promotion form. As noted our strikers seemed to carry it but they haven’t started in the same rich vein of form. But we have 5 which to some extent mitigates drop in form. I feel as would many we are a centre mid and real experienced centre half away from a real auto promotion shot. Would have liked the midfielder as the CB is a pipe dream given Evatt and how he sees it.

Probably have to wait till January for a fresh look at midfield options. And striking options if we haven’t managed to get a few existing ones up and running by then.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:16 pm
I think we are done. It’s not Evatts style to pull a random late signing off. I think anyone we seriously wanted would have emerged by now.
Even on a transfer deadline day you’re still a fun prevention officer :grin:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:33 pm

Evatt staying at the stadium late just in case, says Ilesy: “Sounds like some pretty big deals have been suggested - but he says he is weighing up their potential impact both on his current squad and the financial situation at the club.”

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:33 pm

Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:27 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:16 pm
I think we are done. It’s not Evatts style to pull a random late signing off. I think anyone we seriously wanted would have emerged by now.
Even on a transfer deadline day you’re still a fun prevention officer :grin:
Only how I see it. Easily could be wrong. Just think we are done now. Bar something amazing coming up. Evatt talking about walking away from deals that are too high to remain sustainable which to me is usually code for ‘we tried but we will go with what we’ve got’.

I don’t think it’s an entirely bad thing. We are stronger than we ended last season. Most would have taken that going into the summer. We maybe just are one or two fewer than is ideal. But most clubs will be there or thereabouts also come 11pm tonight.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:54 pm

More words from IE.

“I think we’ve ally strong squad and pound for pound have amazing value in our squad and I do believe that we’ve got a very good squad of players in all areas that are capable of doing special things. We have to go out there and prove that, but for now if I don’t think the market value outweighs or trades off with what I think we’ve got in the building already then the answer will be no and we’ll walk away and that’s at the stage we’re at right now.”

Sounds like he’s pretty happy with his lot and it’s only if something exceptional within budget comes up.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:54 pm
More words from IE.

“I think we’ve ally strong squad and pound for pound have amazing value in our squad and I do believe that we’ve got a very good squad of players in all areas that are capable of doing special things. We have to go out there and prove that, but for now if I don’t think the market value outweighs or trades off with what I think we’ve got in the building already then the answer will be no and we’ll walk away and that’s at the stage we’re at right now.”

Sounds like he’s pretty happy with his lot and it’s only if something exceptional within budget comes up.
I hear (read) that slightly differently.

For me the emphasis falls on the caveats.

If a manager tells me they have a great squad, pound for pound, I don't hear that they think they will be competing at the very top.

I don't think Evatt is despairing and I think he'll feel like he's improved the depth at the back enough to have dealt with one issue.

I think he's fully aware of the issues in other areas, though, as he's talked about them last season and it's still the same players this season. Sheehan coming back in may solve one very specific issue he had and I hope he stays fit.

If we do no more business we'll be fine, but we're unlikely to be exceptional. Being 2-5 players off isn't a disaster and we've done enough business to keep the wolf from the door until January, when we can reassess, as you said previously.