Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:56 pm
I guess a good yardstick would be TTA, he's been involved in 48? this season? :D
We didn't have a single player who started 40 games last season and Fossey has known fitness issues.

Even if he did start 40 games, which seems a stretch, that'd still leave 10+ games for Barky at RWB, in addition to those he starts as an attacker.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:13 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:21 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:12 pm
If we don’t sign Fossey, then perhaps, but if we do then he’s the starting right wing back.
We'll play 50+ games next season. How many of those would we expect Fossey to start?

The squad is about having options. Barky can start plenty of games over a season without having to be seen as just "a striker", "a winger" or "a wing back."
I’m with you here. The lack of utility players who can cover a number of positions has been a weakness. From what I know I don’t think he’s ideal as a wing back but we could use cover and also he can play across the front three. As you say he’s played at a high level.

If some weeks he’s wing back and others in the front three or even up front it doesn’t matter if he’s got the quality.

I suspect there will be a queue for him at our level.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:15 pm

Naby Sarr among six released by Huddersfield... (also Fraizer Campbell, midfielder Carel Eiting and goalkeeper Jamal Blackman, defensive midfielder Alex Vallejo and midfielder Reece Brown)
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:51 pm
NABY SARR (Huddersfield)
6ft 6in but a ball player, left-sided Sarr is out of contract this summer. He has been nosed out of the Terriers team this season by Tom Lees and Matty Pearson. Has played 98 tier-two and 54 tier-three games since joining Charlton in 2015, shifting to Huddersfield in summer 2020, whence Carlos Corberan said ““He has good physical attributes that fit the demands of Championship football, and at the same time, he feels comfortable on the ball.”
A Charlton podcaster said “a fantastic passer of the ball and has great vision... his ability to drive the ball forward and start attacks is one of his stand out strengths... he will have supporters on the edge of their seats. He has a fantastic ability to carry the ball forward, he can take on his man and is a great finisher as well. He can leave you with your heart in your mouth when he takes on opposition players in his own half but I think people underestimated his ability as 9 times out of 10 he would pull it off.” Lee Bowyer said he was one of the best finishers at Charlton. Even scored a free-kick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PX_LLRyTnE
Indeed, he's scored two in his last three, and it's not beyond belief that he could earn another contract. But with Huddersfield eyeing promotion, he may choose to move on – he's 29 in August so it's no time to be kicking his heels. Whether he'd drop a division (and whether we could afford him) are two other questions.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:18 pm

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:15 pm
Naby Sarr among six released by Huddersfield... (also Fraizer Campbell, midfielder Carel Eiting and goalkeeper Jamal Blackman, defensive midfielder Alex Vallejo and midfielder Reece Brown)
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:51 pm
NABY SARR (Huddersfield)
6ft 6in but a ball player, left-sided Sarr is out of contract this summer. He has been nosed out of the Terriers team this season by Tom Lees and Matty Pearson. Has played 98 tier-two and 54 tier-three games since joining Charlton in 2015, shifting to Huddersfield in summer 2020, whence Carlos Corberan said ““He has good physical attributes that fit the demands of Championship football, and at the same time, he feels comfortable on the ball.”
A Charlton podcaster said “a fantastic passer of the ball and has great vision... his ability to drive the ball forward and start attacks is one of his stand out strengths... he will have supporters on the edge of their seats. He has a fantastic ability to carry the ball forward, he can take on his man and is a great finisher as well. He can leave you with your heart in your mouth when he takes on opposition players in his own half but I think people underestimated his ability as 9 times out of 10 he would pull it off.” Lee Bowyer said he was one of the best finishers at Charlton. Even scored a free-kick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PX_LLRyTnE
Indeed, he's scored two in his last three, and it's not beyond belief that he could earn another contract. But with Huddersfield eyeing promotion, he may choose to move on – he's 29 in August so it's no time to be kicking his heels. Whether he'd drop a division (and whether we could afford him) are two other questions.

Watched the championship play off final and he stood out to me as being particularly awful. I know it’s a higher level and Wembley and all that and he’s not played that much. And physically he looks the part. But he had a whiff of Santos lack of concentration minus the ability on the ball…

Harsh perhaps off one game….

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:21 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:02 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:56 pm
I guess a good yardstick would be TTA, he's been involved in 48? this season? :D
We didn't have a single player who started 40 games last season and Fossey has known fitness issues.

Even if he did start 40 games, which seems a stretch, that'd still leave 10+ games for Barky at RWB, in addition to those he starts as an attacker.
Yeah we need to sort out keeping them all up and running. TBF I wouldn't expect us to get the levels or lengths of injuries we got last season, in most seasons...I'd start to be concerned if we did. Not talking about the one-offs, more the recurrent.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:21 pm
Yeah we need to sort out keeping them all up and running. TBF I wouldn't expect us to get the levels or lengths of injuries we got last season, in most seasons...I'd start to be concerned if we did. Not talking about the one-offs, more the recurrent.
It's much harder to keep lads fit on the pitches at our level and without a multi-million a year medical department freezing and thawing them after games.

Very few outfield players managed over 40 starts in League One.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:21 pm
Presumably to BWFCi's delight, Evatt has spoken about trying to make us more like Klopp's Liverpool – off the ball at least, by which he presumably means running hard and pressing constantly. Last season we had players dropping and that needs addressing, but it's also possible that those very absences forced us into using players in the red zone, causing a negative spiral – let us never forget a midfield trio of Johnston, Thomason and Delfouneso.

I think the idea is not so much to have players starting 40+ times as to have better alternatives, ones which don't weaken the XI. They start, they beaver, they're subbed; or if not, they may not start the next one, because another damn good player steps up. Clearly that's a constant juggle but i think it's one we're chasing in a few positions. We got there in spring with forwards, and we have reasonably depth in central midfield. Wouldn't surprise me to see more rotation/resting everywhere forward of centre-back, and even there we might have options.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:49 pm

Looks like Dom Ball is off to Portman Road
Another summer of splashing the cash for Ipswich, they should be a real force next season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:16 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:27 pm
Very few outfield players managed over 40 starts in League One.
I make it 49 League One outfielders started 40+ games this season. But 12 of those were for play-off contenders, and after a long fight I've given up trying to find a site that both gives starting-appearance numbers and excludes the playoffs.

Anyway basically somewhere between 1.75 and 2 outfielders per team, on average, started 40+ league games.

I did accidentally discover along the way that Baka and Bod both scored five off the bench, more than any other L1 player last season.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:50 pm

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:16 pm
I make it 49 League One outfielders started 40+ games this season. But 12 of those were for play-off contenders, and after a long fight I've given up trying to find a site that both gives starting-appearance numbers and excludes the playoffs.

Anyway basically somewhere between 1.75 and 2 outfielders per team, on average, started 40+ league games.

I did accidentally discover along the way that Baka and Bod both scored five off the bench, more than any other L1 player last season.
I made it 46, but I'll trust your figures.

As you say, less than 2 per side on average.

We need a squad, that's for certain.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:15 pm

What we need is proper men. Like Nat. Shift down the pit, rinse with carbolic and cold water, omnibus to the game and a hat-trick.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:15 pm
What we need is proper men. Like Nat. Shift down the pit, rinse with carbolic and cold water, omnibus to the game and a hat-trick.
Good idea. A preseason down in the mines should really get the lads ready

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:19 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:49 pm
Looks like Dom Ball is off to Portman Road
Another summer of splashing the cash for Ipswich, they should be a real force next season.
Can't say it shocks me. Very different budget we're operating on.

There's a reason Ipswich are favourites for promotion.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:57 am

Mar wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:38 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
He forgot cups of sugary tea to recover. Dinosaur.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:52 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:57 am
Mar wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
He forgot cups of sugary tea to recover. Dinosaur.
Nah, real men wold have a pint of Magees before the game, and an I.P.A and a Woodbine at half time. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:01 am

Mar wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Don't forget running them up and down Winter Hill...

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:01 am
Mar wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

With a rucksack full of bricks.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:45 pm

Somewhat surprisingly to me, Neil Critchley leaves Blackpool for Villa, where he'll replace new QPR manager Michael Beale as the brains behind Stevie Me's concrete hairdo.

Blackpool will surely ask about Evatt, but IMO he'd be daft to consider it. They're in the division above but we have more headroom, as well as bread buttered to his taste.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:02 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:06 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mar wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Attaboy. Seriously though. It would feel strange to me, to target a signing who couldn't play most of a season if required. The fact they then don't, because they pick up the odd injury or you choose to rotate some is fine, but that's different to signing someone where you think the upper limit might be 25...

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:02 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:06 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mar wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Attaboy. Seriously though. It would feel strange to me, to target a signing who couldn't play most of a season if required. The fact they then don't, because they pick up the odd injury or you choose to rotate some is fine, but that's different to signing someone where you think the upper limit might be 25...
I think its on the same lines of logic as signing Jan Kirchoff. Quality player with an injury record means he's a risk but that level of quality is cheapened by the number of games he can play without incurring an injury.

Imagine signing someone along the lines of Eidur Gudjohnsen but he can only play 10 games or so. It'd be a step up in quality for those ten games and could help massively.

Not ideal of course but certainly not a negative signing. It'd be about managing the players fitness and availability ala Ledley King.

That being said, if we're setting ourselves up for a business model of buying players with a view to selling then it doesn't do us many favours having their bad injury record.