Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:31 am

Is it too early to talk about summer recruitment plans? Never!

With the summer transfer window looming large on the Winter Hill horizon where do you think we need to invest or improve?

For me it boils down to the following;

GK - Trafford has been good and I wouldn't be averse to another 12 month but failing that a new keeper would need to have more experience.

CB - Two strong CB who are also comfortable on the ball with one being a left footer. For me Aimson needs moving on and Baptiste will be retired.

LB/LWB - Someone who can push John and who isn't afraid to get forward. Must be able to play either position. Gordon can go.

RB/RWB - Fossey, Fossey or Fossey. Failing that a clone of Fossey. When everyone is fit I think Izzy will be back-up for this position.

CM - A hard tackling, hard working CM who can put the tackles in, break up play and get around the pitch. I like MJ but his lack of pace is a problem at times so an upgrade on him would be good. Morley and Dempsey are good enough for the other CM position. Tutte should be released.

AM - We need an out and out no10. Dapo isn't bad but it's not his position and apart from Lee no-one else has made the position theirs. Wide players would obviously be Dapo and Sads with again Izzy being a back-up. Amaechi can go back to Germany as his time here hasn't been a success.

Forwards - This is where on paper we seem to have an abundance of riches. But only on paper. Dad Bod and Charles should be first choice next season and with a full pre-season under their belts should do well. I'd keep Baka as back-up. Kachunga doesn't seem to have a fixed position and can be versatile but I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if he was released. Really hasn't done enough for me and has seemed to struggle in this system. Obviously if a decent striker/upgrade on the ones we have became available then we should pursue it.

As always the above is just my opinion and if any genuinely good upgrades became available, regardless of their position, we'd be foolish not to go for it.
Last edited by sonicthewhite on Tue May 10, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:41 am

Probably worth pinning the contract states here. It's not going to be the summer clear-out we've become used to. Most of the names we can release are already half-forgotten.

JUNE 2022
*James Trafford (10/10/02) (six-month loan from Man City; contract length unknown)
Marlon Fossey (9/11/98) (six-month loan from Fulham, where he's contracted to 2023)
Alex Baptiste (31/1/86)
Reiss Greenidge (10/8/96) - loaned to tier-5 Barnet for the season
Liam Edwards (2/10/96) - loaned to tier-6 Southport for the season
Liam Gordon (15/5/99)
Andrew Tutte (21/9/90)
*Xavier Amaechi (5/1/2001) – loan from Hamburg, where he's contracted until 2023
Nathan Delfouneso (2/2/91) - loaned to tier-4 Bradford for the season

Young pros elapsing June 2022:
*Matthew Alexander (7/5/02) - youth loan to tier-7 Lancaster City for the season
*Luke Hutchinson (1/9/02)
*Adam Senior (20/1/02)
*Jay Fitzmartin (14/9/02) - youth loan to tier-7 Stalybridge Celtic
*Fin Lockett (20/4/03)

JUNE 2023
Joel Dixon (9/12/93)
Ricardo Santos (18/6/95)
Will Aimson (3/6/94)
MJ Williams (6/11/95)
Kieran Lee (22/6/88)
*George Thomason (12/1/01)
Josh Sheehan (30/3/95)
*Ronan Darcy (4/11/00) – (loaned to Scottish third-tier Queen's Park for the season)
Lloyd Isgrove (12/1/93)
Elias Kachunga (22/4/92)
Amadou Bakayoko (1/1/96)
Jon Dadi Bodvarsson (25/5/92)

JUNE 2024
Gethin Jones (13/10/95)
George Johnston (1/9/98)
Declan John (30/6/95)
Kyle Dempsey (17/9/95)
Kieran Sadlier (14/9/94)
Dapo Afolayan (11/9/97)

JUNE 2025
*Aaron Morley (27/2/00)
Dion Charles (7/10/95)

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:50 am

Unfortunately it's a hard 'no' from me on Fossey, purely because of his injury history. He seems to have chronic knee problems, and I don't think we can afford to take a risk by making a player with that profile one of our key signings. Best of luck to the lad, but there will be plenty of other options out there, and for me we should be looking elsewhere.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:21 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:50 am
Unfortunately it's a hard 'no' from me on Fossey, purely because of his injury history. He seems to have chronic knee problems, and I don't think we can afford to take a risk by making a player with that profile one of our key signings. Best of luck to the lad, but there will be plenty of other options out there, and for me we should be looking elsewhere.
ooooooooh BWFCi's not gonna like that at ALL

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:28 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:21 am
The_Gun wrote:
ooooooooh BWFCi's not gonna like that at ALL
I mean it’s up to the medical team and experts to make a judgement there. No point signing a player who is always likely to break down but we don’t have enough information to know whether that’s the case. So I will leave it to them.

All I know is that we need that direct, strong, quick type of player in our team. Ideally a couple and it’s not negotiable. We need those that get down the outside and stretch teams and for that they need strength, pace, power and then a direct edge that stops them being like every other player we seem to sign who continually wants to cut back inside and slow the game down. That for me has to be the identikit of players we sign. Rather than more fiddlers who move the ball nicely but need someone else to provide the thrust. We have too many of those and very little, actually, no thrust. You need ball carriers but ones who drive with purpose and have that burst of acceleration and then do something with the ball.

We lack them without Fossey and If he’s a no go then we need others with those qualities. As a priority. Fossey was our best player. Our most critical player. But if he’s hardly fit then that’s no good. But I don’t want anymore attacking signings of players who turn round and fiddle round. We need people to put the afterburners on, stretch sides and then deliver the ball in. And those sorts are rare and expensive. But without them evatts side won’t be troubling the top spots.

That’s the piece that is missing from the team.

And a midfield and defence that can cope against better sides.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:50 am

I totally get that view on Fossey. We’ve had way too many injuries this season - either the medical department needs sorting out or we need to sign some more robust players.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:02 am

The_Gun wrote:
I don't wish to be rude, Gun, but me and my optimism are waiting on a more/better informed opinion.
May the bridges I burn light your way

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:05 am

Yeah look, I’m no medical expert, but from what I can tell his youth career was decimated by injuries, and he’s never been able to put together an extended run of games as a senior pro.

Our recruitment team can make a more informed decision in the summer, but it could be argued that his injury scuppered our chances of going up this season, so I’m sure they’ll have some reservations.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:44 am

Here's a point: If Fossey has a history of bad knee injuries, he was surely disguising it very well till this last one. He was like an india-rubber man literally bouncing back off the turf when he went down. At that point, possibly the fittest man in the team. Surely it's up to the medical department to sort him out? For me, (opinion)the finest and most exciting prospect of a footballer since J.J. Okocha. I'm backing him to recover and want to play for us as long as Fulham let him go. It's a "Yes" from me. Come on Foss... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:54 am

Mavies was an excellent footballer, when he wasn't injured. I think like The-gun, there are enough questions around his injury proneness for the medical team to need to take a serious look. When you're loaning a player, that's a different set of "things to check" I would think than if you're making a purchase. Especially if there was anything like a significant bar bill to pay Fulham (should they want to let him go, and Fossey would actually want to come here)

I don't think Fossey's injury scuppered our chances of going up this season. He's been out for what? 3 games? We won one of them, we got a draw v Pies away (which wouldn't necessarily have been a bad outcome with Fossey in the team) and we drew with Pompey at home. So the max points we've dropped is 4.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:14 pm

Anyone who can't reliably stay fit is baggage we can't carry at this level. That's especially the case at right wing back, where our back up (or who we assume will be back up) now has a recurring hamstring issue.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:17 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:14 pm
Anyone who can't reliably stay fit is baggage we can't carry at this level. That's especially the case at right wing back, where our back up (or who we assume will be back up) now has a recurring hamstring issue.
I’m not sure staying reliably fit is a measurable thing or even something a player has much control over.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:17 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:14 pm
I’m not sure staying reliably fit is a measurable thing or even something a player has much control over.
No, but you can take a view on the "story so far" - as it's a matter of record...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:38 pm

As DSB mentioned in another thread, Dapo, Santos and Dempsey may not play again for us this season after picking up hamstring injuries last night. I am going to guess that if that is indeed the case, then that rather uneventful home draw with Portsmouth will prove to be the last time we see one, or both, of Dapo and Santos in a Bolton shirt.

Hope I'm wrong, but I see it as doubtful that we retain both, and I'd actually say it's Santos we're most likely to lose. There are still plenty of teams in the division above with money to spend, and given he'll only have a year to run on his contract, I think a relatively cut price summer deal for a centre back coming into his prime will appeal to a few.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:42 pm

It's a sensible reality that we might lose saleable players. A very delicate balance.

I like them both but I get the feeling Rico could leave the bigger hole in Evatt's plans. We already need, by universal agreement, at least some defensive strengthening this summer. Losing our rock would be a huge blow to the manager.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
We do medicals for a reason. Some players are sicknotes and you try to avoid them.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:07 pm

Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:42 pm
It's a sensible reality that we might lose saleable players. A very delicate balance.

I like them both but I get the feeling Rico could leave the bigger hole in Evatt's plans. We already need, by universal agreement, at least some defensive strengthening this summer. Losing our rock would be a huge blow to the manager.
As a club, we need to sell players. It's the model we are aiming for. Unfortunately, a lot of fans haven't got the memo and it looks like there will be a lot of moaning when we do sell our best players - as at some stage we must.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:10 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:04 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
We do medicals for a reason. Some players are sicknotes and you try to avoid them.
I guess the thing in Fossey's favour is Evatt said in the press we'd still be interested (post injury)...albeit that might have been before a clear picture of injury extent

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:16 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:07 pm
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:42 pm

As a club, we need to sell players. It's the model we are aiming for. Unfortunately, a lot of fans haven't got the memo and it looks like there will be a lot of moaning when we do sell our best players - as at some stage we must.
I guess it'll be interesting to see what the balance is between how much Evatt would get to invest from any sales vs how much would be paying the leccy bill...much tougher sell to fans if say 75% of a sale went into "non-players" than if it's going back into squad.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:10 pm
I guess the thing in Fossey's favour is Evatt said in the press we'd still be interested (post injury)...albeit that might have been before a clear picture of injury extent
I think that we all want him back if they assess he can stay fit. Sheehan also has a history with knee injuries, but he stayed fit for 3 1/2 years until that freak one for us. If we could get a couple of normal seasons out of Fossey he'd be a huge player for us.