Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:05 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:36 pm
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:35 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:25 pm
Yep, agree with pretty much all of that. Except the bits where you called him "Ireland" rather than "Iredale" :D
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:18 pm
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:12 pm
It may be New Signing Fever but right now I would think (guess) that our first-choice back four would be John-Iredale-Santos-Jones
I think the fact we went for a player as serious as Tucker suggests that Iredale is a left back in a back four for Evatt (as much as I rate him at centre half).

Iredale, Tucker, Santos, Jones would have been a big, physical back four, with Jones as the "little guy" at over 5'10" and the rest all over 6'2". All of them athletic and good on the ball.

An ideal Evatt defence.

Then in a 3 you'd have Iredale, Santos, Tucker as a massive, quick, talented unit with John and Bradley offering really good attacking options wide.
Don't be downhearted. Someone else might turn up. And it's quite possible Iredale was signed for his versatility. Why, he even has two surnames....
Three if you count Deraile :shock:

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:15 pm

Interesting, I’m not saying he’s coming back here but he’s still a Fulham player as it stands.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:20 pm

Fossey is a curious one. Has Evatt got cold feet on his injury record? Or indeed has he regressed over the summer in that regard?

Does Evatt genuinely rate Bradley higher?

Is the talk of an offer from the Midlands for Fossey and to Fulham that blew us out of the water true?

As above. He’s still at Fulham as it stands.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:39 pm

Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:10 pm
...and some will be losing their key players from last season, like MK losing Twine and Darling. Wycombe's veterans are a year older (and the keeper's gone to Wednesday); Oxford have lost goalscoring midfielder Mark Sykes to Bristol City.

Wednesday seem to be doing OK though – don't seem to have lost anyone and Vaulks is a good freebie at this level – and Ipswich have picked up Freddie Ladapo and Dom Ball without losing anyone. Plymouth, too, haven't lost anyone and have added Pat Butcher, but in their case let's see whether Schumacher can maintain Lowe's work in his first full season.

I still think loanees will have a big bearing on who finishes in the top six, again. MK borrowed a Spurs striker who hit double figures. Wednesday had a Burnley goalie playing 47 times. Sunderland had a City centre-back, a Spurs winger and a 13-goal Everton striker. Rotherham got 38 games from a Huddersfield centre-back, Wigan 27 from a Newcastle centre-back. I ain't above seeking similar benefits.
MK may lose players, but the additions they've made so far (and are rumoured to be close on) are really good.

Ipswich look like they might have finally got their shit together, which is deeply concerning and I'm hoping for some kind of twist there. Financially they are likely to get whoever they aim for, so we need to hope for some of the intangibles being well off.

I don't personally like loans when they're just short term gap plugging, but we're not doing that. We know we can't compete financially, especially if we go up, so we're building relationships with the biggest clubs in the country to try and give us an edge at almost no cost. It's just excellent stewardship.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:15 pm

Evatt on Fossey:
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... e-quashed/
There are absolutely no hard feelings. I have had conversations with Marlon this summer and everything has been transparent and honest. He respects that, and we respect him hugely.

It wasn’t meant to be, but I believe nothing you are destined for will ever pass you by. It hasn’t worked out for Marlon this summer but I honestly wish him good luck and I hope he does well.

From our perspective, though, I am happy to be signing Conor and I am sure the supporters will see very quickly what an excellent player he is. As much as Marlon became an iconic figure in our squad, I do believe Conor will do the same. We move on, things move on in football.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:15 pm

He's been listening to Worthy :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:35 pm

I think becoming as iconic as Fossey is a stretch, even if he's amazing. Fossey played well, but the love people have for him is about his character as much as his ability. The big hair, the flips, the rolls, etc. It was about his joy on the pitch.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:55 pm

Brommers has been in the video library again.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:35 pm

Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:15 pm
Evatt on Fossey:
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... e-quashed/
There are absolutely no hard feelings. I have had conversations with Marlon this summer and everything has been transparent and honest. He respects that, and we respect him hugely.

It wasn’t meant to be, but I believe nothing you are destined for will ever pass you by. It hasn’t worked out for Marlon this summer but I honestly wish him good luck and I hope he does well.

From our perspective, though, I am happy to be signing Conor and I am sure the supporters will see very quickly what an excellent player he is. As much as Marlon became an iconic figure in our squad, I do believe Conor will do the same. We move on, things move on in football.
It's very strange with Fossey and it would be nice to get some clarity on it. It would seem that there is more to the situation than meets the eye.

I suspect that Fulham may be playing hard ball in terms of how much they can get for the player. The quotes i'd read previously suggest that we'd moved on as a result of Fulham playing hard ball. However, with a quote like above mentioning it not working out for Marlon this summer, would suggest that either our position to sign him hasn't worked out or a move to the likes of Rotherham hasn't worked out, or even to another suitor. Either way, it's intriguing to see that he's still looking for a club.

Us signing Conor certainly gives us a much better bargaining position as we're not desperate for a player of Fossey's services. Fossey hasn't been particularly forthcoming about where he wants to be next season. The fact that he's had conversations with Evatt over the summer would suggest he's happy to entertain the idea of coming back show a positive sign.

That latest tweet, however cryptic it maybe, might just be his (and his agent's) way of saying that he's still on the market.

I'd like to think that we're still keen on signing him as I believe he could play a few positions and signing one player shouldn't rule out signing another. I don't think we should be breaking the bank but I think that it'd be a nice move for us. We struggled for cover last season when we were missing players.

I'd like to think we're aiming for at least 2 per position (with other players providing additional cover):

GK: Trafford, Dixon
LB: John, Iredale
CB: Johnston, Aimson
CB: Santos, Jones
RB: Bradley, Isgrove
CM: Dempsey, Sadlier, Darcy
CM: Lee, Morley
CM: Thomason, Williams
LW: Dapo, Sheehan
RW: Bakayoko, Kachunga
ST: Charles / Bodvarsson

Now, i'm not expecting us to necessarily play 4 at the back or even those to be their exact positions, but it does show that we can have adequate cover for positions should we get an injury.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:23 pm

Evatt saying Traf signed a new City contract before being loaned out, just in case anyone was considering us signing him permanently..,

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:34 pm

Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:55 pm
Brommers has been in the video library again.
I must say I'm quite excited by the introduction of the B Team. Okay it's unlikely (m)any of them will turn into starting-quality first team players but it at least gives us a chance of uncovering a decent player who's slipped through the cracks.

Not to mention it gives us some new signings to liven up pre-season :mrgreen:

I also watched a bit of Lynford Sackey and Nelson Khumbeni after they were announced.

Sackey is a really explosive athlete, who looks like he can run all day. His positional play and touch didn't seem great but coach him up a bit and he could do a job at wing back.

Nelson seemed to be the polar opposite - a holding midfielder with a really nice touch, weight of pass and awareness, but looked like he was running through treacle.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:07 pm

That's going to be the issue with the Bs. Lads who have some ability, but glaring holes elsewhere. Khumbeni is a bit like MJ, in that he has a lot to like but his lack of pace means he can only ever play one role on a pitch. Sackey looks like the lad who wins you U18 games and then comes completely unstuck once he hits the much more experienced and intelligent U23s scene.

I really, really hope they make the B team games accessible. I'd love to see them broadcast them on the Youtube channel, for example. It'll be fascinating to see what the coaches can do with them.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:11 pm

They could easily bang them on the clubs iFollow channel - Leeds for example you get the academy matches included with an annual LUTV subscription.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:22 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:07 pm
That's going to be the issue with the Bs. Lads who have some ability, but glaring holes elsewhere. Khumbeni is a bit like MJ, in that he has a lot to like but his lack of pace means he can only ever play one role on a pitch. Sackey looks like the lad who wins you U18 games and then comes completely unstuck once he hits the much more experienced and intelligent U23s scene.

I really, really hope they make the B team games accessible. I'd love to see them broadcast them on the Youtube channel, for example. It'll be fascinating to see what the coaches can do with them.
Was hoping the same 🤞🏻

I think the interest from the fans is there.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:28 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:11 pm
They could easily bang them on the clubs iFollow channel - Leeds for example you get the academy matches included with an annual LUTV subscription.
I don't think the club can add or take away anything on the iFollow without League Approval. Do any other clubs have reserve games on their iFollow?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:41 pm

Sheffield Wednesday's acquisition of Michael Smith (and probably his team mate Iheikwe in short order) looks like a game changer for them. Precisely the profile of player they wanted for the role with a proven record of excellence at this level.

It's a marathon not a sprint, but rival clubs are looking like doing phenomenal business this window. We have our work cut out to keep pace.

I'll say once again, the people saying we can basically just go again with what we have are dead wrong. We need at least a couple of absolutely exceptional signings if we want to give Evatt a fighting chance.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:56 pm

I see Sheffield Wednesday have signed Michaels Smith and Ihiekwe.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:57 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:41 pm
Sheffield Wednesday's acquisition of Michael Smith (and probably his team mate Iheikwe in short order) looks like a game changer for them. Precisely the profile of player they wanted for the role with a proven record of excellence at this level.

It's a marathon not a sprint, but rival clubs are looking like doing phenomenal business this window. We have our work cut out to keep pace.

I'll say once again, the people saying we can basically just go again with what we have are dead wrong. We need at least a couple of absolutely exceptional signings if we want to give Evatt a fighting chance.

You beat me to it. Ihiekwe has now just been confirmed.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:07 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:57 pm
You beat me to it. Ihiekwe has now just been confirmed.
Annoyingly good business from them so far this window. Hating every second of it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:14 am

You will have teams doing this every year. Ipswich were the ones signing all these top players last season. Sometimes it doesn’t work out.

I think you can list our four strikers and no team has four as good.

I do think there is work to do behind them and wouldn’t disagree that we are still two or three players of real quality short of the top 2 or having a chance of it.

Top six though I think we can challenge for with another centre half or midfield player who can do the defensive stuff through the door to stiffen us up a bit.