Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 25, 2022 10:40 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:05 pm
Gary Cahill released by Bournemouth. Getting on a bit now, but would he be worth a punt?
This got me thinking this morning - a thoroughly theoretical question to while away a moment:

If you could have any of our former players back, at his Wanderers peak (ie you can't have a world-class Shilton etc), who would it be?

I think in terms of where we need to improve, peak Cahill might be just about perfect for this team – strong in both boxes, confident on the ball.

I guess we might get more of an uptick from someone like Anelka ripping this division apart, but it feels like a new Gaz would strengthen us where we need it most (assuming Traf and Foz return).

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed May 25, 2022 11:00 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:40 am
truewhite15 wrote:
Gary Cahill released by Bournemouth. Getting on a bit now, but would he be worth a punt?
This got me thinking this morning - a thoroughly theoretical question to while away a moment:

If you could have any of our former players back, at his Wanderers peak (ie you can't have a world-class Shilton etc), who would it be?

I think in terms of where we need to improve, peak Cahill might be just about perfect for this team – strong in both boxes, confident on the ball.

I guess we might get more of an uptick from someone like Anelka ripping this division apart, but it feels like a new Gaz would strengthen us where we need it most (assuming Traf and Foz return).
N'Gotty and Hierro
Jay Jay and Djorkaeff

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed May 25, 2022 11:10 am

Traf has made the England U21s squad, which is great for him, but also indicates his good form has not gone unnoticed and perhaps doesn’t bode well for our chances of getting him back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 25, 2022 11:10 am

truewhite15 wrote:

I think it’s a great question and there are loads of shouts. And frankly I think the two you’ve named in terms of maximising points make most sense.

You could argue perhaps peak McGinlay most suited to this team and a guarantee of 30 goals at this level or thereabouts. Anelka perhaps in league one might not fancy it as much….bit tongue in cheek of course.

If I was forced to pick I’d abandon what we need most though and just say Speedo as it would mean he was still with us…..

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 25, 2022 11:11 am

Eidur Gudjohnsen
Tal Ben Hiam
Per Frandsen
Gudni Bergsson
Frank Worthington
Peter Reid
Andy Walker
Steve Thompson
Jason McAteer
Keith Branagan
Jay Jay Okocha
Kevin Davies
Gary Speed
Nicholas Anelka
Michael Ricketts
Neil Cox
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 25, 2022 11:45 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:43 am
I did wonder why we were looking at someone the wrong side of 30 at Bala Town.
It's the 4 year deals for Benson and Hedges that has me confused.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed May 25, 2022 11:49 am

We're in need of a new keeper for next season if we don't manage to get Trafford back.

I do wonder if it would be in our interests to look at the likes of Loris Karius as an option. Suspect he may still have property nearby given he was still under contract with Liverpool and despite spending the last few seasons in Turkey and Germany there's the potential for him and his family to want to settle somewhere.

He's only 28, so there's the potential for long term. He's well experienced and he knows a similar system to our own. We all know the well documented mistakes so I suspect he's in need of a second chance.

Whether he'd be interested in dropping to league one is another story, but given our trajectory and manner in which we play it may just be somewhat of a phoenix rising from the flames style situation akin to our own.

For reference purposes:

2021-22 P5 2 clean sheets, 5 conceded
2020-21 P32 8 clean sheets, 46 conceded
2019-20 P35 6 clean sheets, 49 conceded

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 25, 2022 12:00 pm

Okocha by a mile for me.

We need a player like him and football is about entertainment. Peak Okocha in League One would be about the best thing I've ever seen.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 25, 2022 12:15 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:10 am
Traf has made the England U21s squad, which is great for him, but also indicates his good form has not gone unnoticed and perhaps doesn’t bode well for our chances of getting him back.
Perhaps, but I also noted that when the club Twitter account asked its followers yesterday which goals they'd like to see clips of, he nominated Dapo's from his assist :D

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Wed May 25, 2022 12:21 pm

The_Gun wrote:
That would be a shame

Is he not 6th choice at City?
So still looking for suitable loan placement
Unless some of the other five move on
What goes around may still come around

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 25, 2022 12:26 pm

The_Gun wrote:
It'll be fine.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 25, 2022 12:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:11 am
Eidur Gudjohnsen
Tal Ben Hiam
Per Frandsen
Gudni Bergsson
Frank Worthington
Peter Reid
Andy Walker
Steve Thompson
Jason McAteer
Keith Branagan
Jay Jay Okocha
Kevin Davies
Gary Speed
Nicholas Anelka
Michael Ricketts
Neil Cox
Great selection, but since its personal choice, I'd of course have Nat, and also add Fernando Hiero, Alan Thompson and Kevin Nolan.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed May 25, 2022 12:31 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:26 pm
The_Gun wrote:
It'll be fine.
I note that bar one of the other keepers every other member of that U21 squad was playing Prem or Championship last season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 25, 2022 1:29 pm

Liam Gordon signs for Walsall - good luck, Flash.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 25, 2022 1:54 pm

Nat or Anelka for me. They'd score 60. Guaranteed promotion.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Frank Drebin
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frank Drebin » Wed May 25, 2022 2:05 pm

The thing we’re missing atm is a no nonesense cb. I’d have Radhi Jaidi alongside Santos, scores from set pieces too.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed May 25, 2022 2:22 pm

Wed May 25, 2022 1:29 pm
Liam Gordon signs for Walsall - good luck, Flash.
Seen that, good luck to him. He needs a run as first choice to see if he can make it.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed May 25, 2022 4:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:11 am
Eidur Gudjohnsen
Tal Ben Hiam
Per Frandsen
Gudni Bergsson
Frank Worthington
Peter Reid
Andy Walker
Steve Thompson
Jason McAteer
Keith Branagan
Jay Jay Okocha
Kevin Davies
Gary Speed
Nicholas Anelka
Michael Ricketts
Neil Cox
There's a few in that list that I think would genuinely end up making us change how we'd play next season. Can't imagine SKD being a good signing for the type of football we play but a really good signing for another option. Likewise I think Okocha would try too much in a league one situation.

Struggling to think that Anelka would fit right in but I would see no reason as to why he'd score a silly amount of goals. Likewise Ricketts.

Suspect the no nonsense midfielders would be useful in our current iteration. Frandsen, and Speed.

That being said, if I had to pick only one. It'd have to be Okocha, for the entertainment value alone.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed May 25, 2022 4:51 pm

Not sure whether this increases or decreases our chances of getting Trafford back on loan…

I could certainly see a situation where Nick Pope is sold this summer, Burnley look for a new no.1 in the Championship and just maybe they’d look in Trafford’s direction with the obvious City link.

I wouldn’t have thought Burnley would see him as a starting Championship keeper just yet, especially for a team who’d expect to be in the upper echelons, but you can never rule anything out in football.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 25, 2022 5:13 pm

Maybe one of, a Jim McDonagh in nets, a Paul Jones in the defence or even a Kev Nolan in midfield and of course Frankie up front.