Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:18 pm
The worst ground I've ever been to
Oxford? The worst *new* ground I’ve been to (although props to Cheltenham for managing to build a stand that requires you to walk on the pitch).

I’m a crucial few years older than you so, like many, pre-Taylor Report I went to some proper shitholes. Death traps, indeed. But yeah, by modern standards the Kassam is awful.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:38 pm

Jon Mellish is being linked on social media.

No idea if it's true, but he's quite good at football.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:44 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:50 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Oxford? The worst *new* ground I’ve been to (although props to Cheltenham for managing to build a stand that requires you to walk on the pitch).

I’m a crucial few years older than you so, like many, pre-Taylor Report I went to some proper shitholes. Death traps, indeed. But yeah, by modern standards the Kassam is awful.
One or two older :D

I've been to plenty I think probably were death traps back in the day, but post Taylor report (and, my existence) are fine if ramshackle. Sometimes charmingly so.

But yeah, just... Why? Was the mad bastard going to finish it but ran out of money? Or thought if we need to expand it once my megalomania brings success it's easier to just build a fourth stand than "top up" four existing?

It's certainly not a Leitch. (If only we knew someone who'd recently done a long piece on football grounds, eh?)

Not to mention it being an arse end of nowhere out of towner with less then usual around it. Awful.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:23 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:44 am
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:50 pm
Prufrock wrote:

One or two older :D

I've been to plenty I think probably were death traps back in the day, but post Taylor report (and, my existence) are fine if ramshackle. Sometimes charmingly so.

But yeah, just... Why? Was the mad bastard going to finish it but ran out of money? Or thought if we need to expand it once my megalomania brings success it's easier to just build a fourth stand than "top up" four existing?

It's certainly not a Leitch. (If only we knew someone who'd recently done a long piece on football grounds, eh?)

Not to mention it being an arse end of nowhere out of towner with less then usual around it. Awful.
Ha! Yeah, it’s bad. I can sorta forgive the three-stands thing - didn’t Huddersfield do the same? - but the (away) stand itself is badly laid out. I’ve rarely seen a half-time crush like when we were at the Kassam, because poor design leaves minimal room for circulation to toilets/kiosks and (admittedly not an issue during design/build) the new need of going “outside” for a smoke. I queued for five minutes but couldn’t even get under the stand, so chocker was the exit. I gave up, glad I wasn’t gagging for a p!ss/pint/gasper, and wondering (1) how quickly that scene could turn ugly (2) how they got the design so wrong in the middle of a field.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:32 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:38 pm
Jon Mellish is being linked on social media.

No idea if it's true, but he's quite good at football.
Interesting. Started as a centre-back, converted to a hard-running midfielder with an eye for goal (he has subsequently also filled in up front). Very energetic and fit. Left-footed, so (although he has tended to play centrally) could be another cover option at LWB.

Certainly offers versatility - and a threat at corners, judging by this clipreel of his 16 goals from the season we were in that division, although that season Carlisle were unusually effective at set-pieces. Some right-footers too in this edit - doesn’t seem to be a swinger for standing on.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 am

Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:32 am
Interesting. Started as a centre-back, converted to a hard-running midfielder with an eye for goal (he has subsequently also filled in up front). Very energetic and fit. Left-footed, so (although he has tended to play centrally) could be another cover option at LWB.

Certainly offers versatility - and a threat at corners, judging by this clipreel of his 16 goals from the season we were in that division, although that season Carlisle were unusually effective at set-pieces. Some right-footers too in this edit - doesn’t seem to be a swinger for standing on.
An interesting link. Could be nonsense, of course. I think he's capable of playing in League One, but when I've seen him there have been glaring holes in his game. Certainly has Charles-like industry, though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:59 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 am
when I've seen him there have been glaring holes in his game
Such as? Not to decry your opinion, but to embellish my Mellish knowledge.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:20 am

Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:59 am
Such as? Not to decry your opinion, but to embellish my Mellish knowledge.
Limited experience talking here, but I'd say generally his technical play is lower than you might want in a midfielder. Similar issues to Sarce, I suppose; but with more upsides. Not the best touch in the world, passing progression isn't great etc.

My take was that he's a similar level of B2B mid as Sarce, a solidly League One DM and maybe a good League One CB but only in a 3.

Probably a CB in a three or a mid if we go back four for us, I'd assume. This is all going off probably a dozen games, though, so a strong pinch a salt may be required. I do know I enjoy watching him.

There's a player there for good coaches. However, like I say, not exactly a stellar source for the link.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:22 am

He would be MJ cover then?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:31 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:22 am
He would be MJ cover then?
Genuinely hard to say. It depends on the player Evatt sees - or Markham does. At the minute I think most people would say he'd be one we might turn to having missed out on Butcher. So can play box-to-box or cover MJ.

Personally, with the assumption that we are trying to elevate the team to a Championship level, I think good coaches could get a Champ-level wide centre half out of him; but that he might always be a League One mid in the same way Baka is always likely to be a League One striker.

I've not had a detailed enough look at him to know whether those technical issues are ones you can smooth out enough to go up a level. Brommers might have. I just saw him in games I watched for fun, or when I was primarily looking at other players.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:47 am

Interesting stuff, cheers Ghost. Did he strike you as too left-footed to play RCB? Our outside centre-backs are required to have a bit more about them than Yer Old-Fashioned Stopper so his skill set might fit - especially recovery? - but we already have two LCBs…

Side note: Iles described Iredale the other day as a potential defensive midfield, but the quotes didn’t really stand that up (Iredale mentioned LB, CB, LM and the usual “I’ll play anywhere I’m told”). A twist on the idea of Johnston as DM.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:34 pm

I think the Mellish thing is just some bullshit Twitter account link. I haven’t seen much of him but he’s not enough of a ball player for this team imo. A grafter, good physicality but gives the ball away too much.

Interesting to see that Ronan Darcy’s number from last season (30) has been taken by Arran Pettifer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:47 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:34 pm
I think the Mellish thing is just some bullshit Twitter account link.
What, good old TransferCentre9?

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?f=liv ... yped_query

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:04 pm

Everyone needs clicks...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:19 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:34 pm
I think the Mellish thing is just some bullshit Twitter account link. I haven’t seen much of him but he’s not enough of a ball player for this team imo. A grafter, good physicality but gives the ball away too much.

Interesting to see that Ronan Darcy’s number from last season (30) has been taken by Arran Pettifer.
Darcy perhaps got himself a deal elsewhere? Didn’t go to Portugal or feature last night.

Unless he’s injured.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:55 pm

Wasn't Darcy part of the "bedding in" team with the Bs?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:39 pm

MK Dons boss Liam Manning has admitted he is resigned to losing midfield powerhouse David Kasumu, who is out of contract. That would make it a trio of key players lost, one in each section - defender Darling, Kasumu and goalyman Twine.

If they come back from that, hats off.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:57 pm

Which defender, darling? (Can't beat a bit of Blackadder)

Darling, darling.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:57 pm
Which defender, darling? (Can't beat a bit of Blackadder)

Darling, darling.
Was thinking of him the other day when Harry left.

"Rather hoped I'd get through the whole show – go back to work at Pratt and Sons, keep wicket for the Croydon Gentlemen... marry Doris. Made a note in my diary on the way here. Simply says: 'Bugger.'"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:26 pm

Kasumu a key player for MK Dons? Didn't he start about a dozen games last season?