Steel the 3 points? Sheff Weds, Sat 9/4 at 3pm(h)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Steel the 3 points? Sheff Weds, Sat 9/4 at 3pm(h)

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:19 pm

With our playoffs hopes dashed many weeks ago with Fossey's injury, my focus is on how the team will shape up next season. Our Defensive 3 and Trotter played very well today. They deserve a lot of credit as they left everything on the pitch as we were outplayed by Wednesday who missed a few guilt edged chances. We never stopped trying and that tells a good story about our fighting spirit.

Our midfield and forward areas however were weak. Aside from Sadlier, we seemed devoid of anything attacking in the first half. The ref was also very poor and saw everything in Wednesdays favor.

Second half was a bit better from us but was surprised that Baka replaced DadBod. I would have hooked Charles who to me was very poor, and has been for weeks. We perhaps need to find a way to play to his strength which is running in behind the defense. Morely's passing stats will be low but he kept trying to pass the ball forward rather than playing safe to build up statistics.

Very happy that MJ scored. First half he really struggled but fought manfully in the second and deserved his goal earning for us a point we hardly merited, but will take based on the heart we showed.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:25 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:01 pm
Fair feck* to them again. Nothing to play for and three times in a week to come back and get points with late goals, despite injuries and some awful refereeing.

Obviously Santos and Dapo big misses. Performance was v mixed. But there's something about us as a group.
It's also thrice we've dug out results v top 10 teams, when for much of the season we'd lose (often to nil).

Imagine if we didn't keep conceding first.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:38 pm

Rotherham look like they’ve blown it.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:42 pm

They looked like they had a spare man free wherever the ball went. We looked laboured, poor passing, slow tempo. Felt sorry for Dion Charles who ran his nads off but got next to no service again.

However, if we can still get a point on a day like today, we've definitely got something about us.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:03 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:19 pm
Our Defensive 3 and Trotter played very well today.
😳 tell me we’ve not got that lump playing for us again

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:19 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:03 pm
irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:19 pm
Our Defensive 3 and Trotter played very well today.
😳 tell me we’ve not got that lump playing for us again
lol... thank God we don't!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:21 pm

We were not at the races. You could tell Kachunga and Dec were not fully fit. The back three might not be perfect normally, but it looks worse without the big man in there.

We really miss flying wing backs and that's obviously going to have to be a focus for the summer, along with better quality and depth in the back three.

I still feel we need something special adding to the attack if we want to take this league on next term. I really like where the squad is, but we are clearly short in key areas.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:28 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:21 pm
We were not at the races. You could tell Kachunga and Dec were not fully fit. The back three might not be perfect normally, but it looks worse without the big man in there.

We really miss flying wing backs and that's obviously going to have to be a focus for the summer, along with better quality and depth in the back three.

I still feel we need something special adding to the attack if we want to take this league on next term. I really like where the squad is, but we are clearly short in key areas.
We played a back four today.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:28 pm
I'm talking in terms of what to expect for next season and where we were good previously.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:41 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:28 pm
I'm talking in terms of what to expect for next season and where we were good previously.
Fair. But I think we need to decide on the system. The biggest problem today was we had nothing from the wide players who were both poor and midfield was too often overrun. No idea why Bod had to play the number ten role but it’s not his game. At all.

I’d say today was illuminating on a few levels yet we got a result. We only got a result cos Wednesday couldn’t hit a barn door but that’s life. However we learned a lot about the quality we lack in the squad and I think it’s clear there are a number who played today (I won’t name them but a number) who aren’t good enough if we have real designs on a promotion charge. And you don’t need to even look at form today or performance. You just know some of these aren’t where we need to be.

MOTM: MJ. Who was very good after the first twenty minutes. But midfield is a huge area of concern. If we really want to compete we’ve seen the standard in there from Wigan and Sheffield Wednesday. And we aren’t there. Nor are we defensively as you say. Or in wide areas. Lots to do.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:45 pm

I thought Sheffield Weds looked like a team who were in a different league to us.

That being said we showed real fight. They missed several chances but we also had good chances ourselves. The DadBod header was an absolute sitter in my book and Sadlier was unlucky with his effort in the first half that was well saved.

I see a lot criticism of Charles, I thought he was OK, his constant pressing does unsettle the opposition defence. When he has the ball in the final third I think he is trying a little too hard which is effecting his decision making.

MotM was MJ for me. Thought he played well, we would have struggled even more without him. Deserved the goal.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:48 pm

enrdentw wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:45 pm
I thought Sheffield Weds looked like a team who were in a different league to us.

That being said we showed real fight. They missed several chances but we also had good chances ourselves. The DadBod header was an absolute sitter in my book and Sadlier was unlucky with his effort in the first half that was well saved.

I see a lot criticism of Charles, I thought he was OK, his constant pressing does unsettle the opposition defence. When he has the ball in the final third I think he is trying a little too hard which is effecting his decision making.

MotM was MJ for me. Thought he played well, we would have struggled even more without him. Deserved the goal.
I think this post sums up my thoughts entirely. Charles was good in my view. He was on his own and clearly finds that tough. He he worked hard.

MJ once again this season left on his own in midfield with absolutely nothing next to him. It’s a problem. And todays game highlights perfectly that you need more in there. More ability to affect the game when the opposition have the ball. And Dempsey and Morley both have qualities that don’t address our underlying problem there.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:49 pm

I think a few are struggling for fitness. We've had lads who have missed stretches of the season and you can see it in them. Whether those players will be good enough with a full preseason next term is up to the coaching staff.

We have not adapted to to the loss of those interactions in the wide spaces we saw when we were flying. It's fine to say we have the flexibility to play 17 systems, but if you can only win when you play one of them it's a bit meaningless.

The summer will need to see us add more depth and more quality. What that looks like will depend on the vision the boss has for how we want to play, but we can't be in another position where a couple of injuries in key positions means we're a radically different side. Losing your best players will always impact you, but we're just poor at the minute.

Having said all that, we're unbeaten recently despite being poor and in a way that's a positive.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:48 pm
Charles was good in my view. He was on his own and clearly finds that tough. He he worked hard.
He was closer to being himself, but the team around him wasn't functional and that makes it hard for any striker to really play well.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:58 pm

I thought Santos's replacement today Aimson was solid. Didn't miss Santos too much. Gordon definitely makes us weaker so we need a stronger LB or LWB next season along with a CB to replace Baptiste. Getting back Fossey would really make us much stronger. So 3 defensive signing next season, 4 if we get a good offer for Santos.

A game of opinions. I thought Charles was not good today. He did not pose a threat. Doesn't seem to play well with back to goal and his control leaves a lot to be desired. He works hard but his running is predictable, and the opposing defenders know that if they stay close to him, and keep him facing his own goal when receiving the ball, they render him ineffective. We must find a way to play him in behind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:59 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:49 pm
I think a few are struggling for fitness. We've had lads who have missed stretches of the season and you can see it in them. Whether those players will be good enough with a full preseason next term is up to the coaching staff.

We have not adapted to to the loss of those interactions in the wide spaces we saw when we were flying. It's fine to say we have the flexibility to play 17 systems, but if you can only win when you play one of them it's a bit meaningless.

The summer will need to see us add more depth and more quality. What that looks like will depend on the vision the boss has for how we want to play, but we can't be in another position where a couple of injuries in key positions means we're a radically different side. Losing your best players will always impact you, but we're just poor at the minute.

Having said all that, we're unbeaten recently despite being poor and in a way that's a positive.
What you are trying to say is that without Fossey’s direct running, pace and power we don’t have much to threaten in behind. I think it was obviously a huge blow to lose who was without doubt our best player.

I think the problem beyond injuries is balance. We recruit too many similar players. And we lack therefore key ingredients. Evatt needs to learn to balance us better.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:59 pm
What you are trying to say is that without Fossey’s direct running, pace and power we don’t have much to threaten in behind. I think it was obviously a huge blow to lose who was without doubt our best player.

I think the problem beyond injuries is balance. We recruit too many similar players. And we lack therefore key ingredients. Evatt needs to learn to balance us better.
No, what I was trying to say is what I said.

We didn't just lose Fossey, we also lost the combination play of having a proper RWB and a RCB who was capable of running both ways off him. At the same time we started to lose the dynamism of Dec as he started to pick up issues.

When Fossey got hurt we had to choose between shifting Jones out wide and losing his attacking instincts from RCB or playing a winger out there. Neither was ideal. We'd have missed Fossey regardless, but the fact his injury meant totally rejigging how that flank functioned made it much worse.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:36 pm

Thought MJ, Aimson, Dad Bod were our best three today, we were far too open too often. We didn't really seem to use "width" and at times in first half Sads and Kacha were extras.

Not enough service up front and Charles and Bod did a lot of work for little reward. I don't get when we go long through the middle why we seem to target Charles rather than Dad Bod.

Don't specifically agree that last three weeks has been all to do with Fossey, like we'd have had 9 points if only he'd played. There are too many other tweaks to do against top half teams and I wouldn't have had us down for 9 points had everyone been fit. We improve v Plymouth from the 3-0, Wigan from the 4-0 and Sheff from the 1-0.

Of the rest in defence Geth and Dec had a tough day at the office. Johnston was generally solid. MF Morley was a bit lost at times, recycled pretty well and a great ball in for Dadi to score.

Great to see the timewasting fcukers reaction to conceding and their muppets treatment of Kacha not good. So feck the Yorkshire bastards.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:42 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:14 pm
Big away following upset for once - excellent. Get in there!

Absolutely this.

One thing (of many) I've been sick of over the last few years is large away followings coming to our stadium and having a day out at our expense. It felt great to shut them up, especially as they clearly thought they had it won.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:42 pm

A last minute equaliser to earn a point we, in a footballing sense, didn't deserve but it terms of heart and willing very much did?

Thank you very much.

As has been pointed out, it was tough going today, and they could arguably have been two or three nil up by half-time. In football, though, teams have to take their chances and they didn't. I'm delighted we made them pay.