We won't be bricking it against Accrington...At home Monday 18th April 3-0'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Re: We won't be bricking it against Accrington...At home Monday 18th April 3-0'clock

Post by jmjhb » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:03 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:56 pm
Reading 4 Swansea City 4

If that stays the same, we're playing Derby next season.

*edit: It did. Can't fault their effort all considered.
League One will be bigger than the Championship at this rate.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: We won't be bricking it against Accrington...At home Monday 18th April 3-0'clock

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:15 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:01 pm
Managed to overcome another set-piece concession, and another wobble under physical pressure.

Bod really starting to look quite the player now.

Subs changed the game (back) in our favour.

Win in front of a Fun Day crowd - maybe we'll get a few next-gen fans starting.

Good lads.
Yeah. Brimming with confidence right now. I could've envisaged a 1-2 without the subs.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:20 pm

Our tempo in the first Half was very slow and that played into the hands of Accrington. We also lacked quality with Kachunga completely out of the game and making up numbers, Xavi looking lost, Dapo playing with a hangover until he scored, and Jones exposed and passing badly. At least Charles who I have been less than impressed with recently putting in a shift.

Second Half, Accriington changed tactics and started to load our box with 4 or 5 players when they attacked an duly equalized. After that, I thought they would go on and win in before Evatt saw enough of some players, and brought on quality. Had an instant effect with the tempo increasing to what we are used to with DadBod and Baka giving our midfielders something to hit with their effective running. DadBod is not a L1 player which is now very obvious. He scored 2 glorious goals in his short time on the pitch and looked formidable with Baka. Credit to the team for fighting back after a poor start. Bye to Xavi. Not what we are looking for.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:30 pm

As I said. Bod number one up front. It’s just who plays with him. As it stands probably Baka as the two are a bit of a handful together.

But Bod is a class above our other strikers and it’s standing out now.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:58 pm

Top-half finish confirmed.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:23 pm

Accy were unlucky - or maybe just showed their lack of quality. They had some great chances and failed to take them.

The ref was shocking, but got the red right. I thought their second "goal" was offside and a foul on Trafford, so I've no issue with that one from the lino either. It looked to me like John had a foul given against him for standing still and Dapo got two-handed shoved off the ball at one stage and waved off. Just awful.

In the end we made changes and the quality of player showed. We clearly need more in the middle of the park and at the back next season, though. A decent team put 3-4 past us if we play like that defensively.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:40 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:23 pm
Accy were unlucky - or maybe just showed their lack of quality. They had some great chances and failed to take them.

The ref was shocking, but got the red right. I thought their second "goal" was offside and a foul on Trafford, so I've no issue with that one from the lino either. It looked to me like John had a foul given against him for standing still and Dapo got two-handed shoved off the ball at one stage and waved off. Just awful.

In the end we made changes and the quality of player showed. We clearly need more in the middle of the park and at the back next season, though. A decent team put 3-4 past us if we play like that defensively.
Yep to this. Ref awful.

And I will keep saying it. We won’t win automatic promotion without better defenders (we all accept that) but crucially a better midfield. I’m not convinced Morley is a starter in the role he’s playing now if we want to be considered serious contenders. He doesn’t impact the game enough off the ball. To get the best out of him he needs more presence in there with him. And MJ looks like he’s never played before and frankly we left midfield abandoned.

Dempsey and Lee help. But you only need eyes to know we need more presence in there. More physical domineering presence someone who can get round the pitch. And that for me will be the big deciding factor. Can we strike the right balance in midfield.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:40 pm
Dempsey and Lee help. But you only need eyes to know we need more presence in there. More physical domineering presence someone who can get round the pitch. And that for me will be the big deciding factor. Can we strike the right balance in midfield.
It's nouse as well. I think Dempsey and Sheehan in front of three big centre backs would be very interesting, but we're clearly still figuring out how to play this 4 system and if we play it a lot next term we definitely need a much more mobile (and generally better) Williams.

Morley is very young and he's still learning every game. His lack of a left peg is increasingly obvious and also increasingly problematic, but he's very, very good for his age. He's well worth his place.

For me we need a Championship-level player adding to the centre of the park and another at the back.

I enjoyed Baka and Bod together today, but I still think we're maybe one top striker short.

Not a game that's changed my mind on anyone.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:02 pm

Kachunga is looking less useful with every passing game.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:16 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:02 pm
Kachunga is looking less useful with every passing game.
He's another that doesn't look fit yet. Kachunga and Amaechi just haven't had a run of games to get back yet. At least we've seen decent stuff from Kacha. Ameachi we'll not see the best of at any stage before summer.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:42 pm

Good to get that one off our back. Just Burton now who we need to give a good pasting.

Shows you can’t just beat proper powerful forwards sometimes. I like Kachunga but I wouldn’t be sad to see him upgraded. Ameachi has been so unlucky - he won’t look back on this season fondly at all. Great to get him a start but did anyone honestly think he’d come out of the cold, rip it up and earn himself another season. He’ll end up somewhere else next season and I wouldn’t bet against him being one of those players we see again and think how did he become so good?!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:48 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:40 pm
It's nouse as well. I think Dempsey and Sheehan in front of three big centre backs would be very interesting, but we're clearly still figuring out how to play this 4 system and if we play it a lot next term we definitely need a much more mobile (and generally better) Williams.

Morley is very young and he's still learning every game. His lack of a left peg is increasingly obvious and also increasingly problematic, but he's very, very good for his age. He's well worth his place.

For me we need a Championship-level player adding to the centre of the park and another at the back.

I enjoyed Baka and Bod together today, but I still think we're maybe one top striker short.

Not a game that's changed my mind on anyone.
I think we are ok up front if Charles gets his act together. 4 strikers is enough. There are also goals in them.

If we can add another then great but I’m not sure we would carry 5 and I don’t believe Dapo is a number 10.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:56 pm

I agree that Xavi hasn't played many games but from what I have seen, he is nowhere as good as we hoped he was. Still very young so lets hope he develops into a good footballer. We don't have the luxury at Bolton to give him more time to develop a better understanding of the game which at the moment he seems lacking. Morley is a good young player, always looking for a pass forward and plays with composure. With Sheehan and Dempsey and Lee, I am not concerned about our midfield as I am with our Defense. Need a couple stronger players in the heart of our defense and wing backs if we want to go up. I also pray that with a pre-season, Charles will start banging them in again. If not, we will need one more front man.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:00 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:42 pm
Great to get him a start but did anyone honestly think he’d come out of the cold, rip it up and earn himself another season.
Judging by Twitter, yes, some did. I thought he was positive for the limited games and injury issues he's had. If it were his 20th game of the season you could be highly critical.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:11 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:00 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:42 pm
Great to get him a start but did anyone honestly think he’d come out of the cold, rip it up and earn himself another season.
Judging by Twitter, yes, some did. I thought he was positive for the limited games and injury issues he's had. If it were his 20th game of the season you could be highly critical.
I don't think I'd say he was "bad" or "poor", just not seen enough from him to say "would be great to get him back, next year" especially with what is now a fairly crowded squad.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:24 pm

Yeah that's definitely a player in there. But I'm not sure I'd be going back in. Not on a loan anyway.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:11 pm
I don't think I'd say he was "bad" or "poor", just not seen enough from him to say "would be great to get him back, next year" especially with what is now a fairly crowded squad.
Yes. As I've said before, I'd not be shocked if we got him back as I think the staff rate him, the other lads like him and if we sorted him out he'd be worth millions. He's 3.5 years younger than Dapo, so there's a lot of time to work on him if Evatt still thinks he's as good as he has said previously.

Also won't be surprised if he just goes in summer and we shake hands on a bad season for him.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:58 pm
Top-half finish confirmed.
Well done Ian Evatt and the squad.Very creditable season end to a shaky beginning. Some astute inclusions, not the least Fossey and Bod, and a seemingly happy camp. All good signs to continued improvement all round. :pray:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:19 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:16 pm
Well done Ian Evatt and the squad.Very creditable season end to a shaky beginning. Some astute inclusions, not the least Fossey and Bod, and a seemingly happy camp. All good signs to continued improvement all round. :pray:

ae:)
Yup, all of this. You can only view this as having been a positive season, despite the fact that it could (and maybe should) have delivered a play-offs place.

The fact we played so badly for so long due to injuries and we're still close-ish to that top 6 should encourage us greatly. With good recruitment we have to believe that next season will be special.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:34 pm

I tell you what is fecking dull
All these little teams who were quite happy to see us slide down the leagues getting the monk on - ‘celebrating that goal like they have just won the league’ - every feck* week.