We won't be bricking it against Accrington...At home Monday 18th April 3-0'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Re: We won't be bricking it against Accrington...At home Monday 18th April 3-0'clock

Post by brommers95 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:49 pm
Isn't Liam Coyle the ex-Liverpool lad that Wikipedia insisted we'd signed for about three years in succession?
Don’t know about the wiki thing but we did have him on trial last season:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/19262669.amp/

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: We won't be bricking it against Accrington...At home Monday 18th April 3-0'clock

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:30 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:34 pm
I tell you what is fecking dull
All these little teams who were quite happy to see us slide down the leagues getting the monk on - ‘celebrating that goal like they have just won the league’ - every feck* week.
Who's laughing now and how many of them would change places with us?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:52 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
All these little teams who were quite happy to see us slide down the leagues getting the monk on - ‘celebrating that goal like they have just won the league’ - every feck* week.
One of the weirdest things about football fandom. Worse even than that "living rent free" nonsense. Feels like it's recent but maybe not.

We'll crack on with polite applause shall we? I mean I remember celebrating N'Gog's goal at Reading and we were 7-0 down (and I f*cking hated N'Gog).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:37 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:52 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
One of the weirdest things about football fandom. Worse even than that "living rent free" nonsense. Feels like it's recent but maybe not.

We'll crack on with polite applause shall we? I mean I remember celebrating N'Gog's goal at Reading and we were 7-0 down (and I f*cking hated N'Gog).
Mrs G pointed out this recent trend to me on Twitter the other day. The day I stop celebrating a goal, particularly a winning goal, against anyone then it's probably time to do something else with my weekend!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:21 am

I can think of very few goals where I have just stood and clapped. I don’t get it, is it a reaction to not being in the ground a year maybe?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:29 am

On our strikers: I like Dad-Bod's ability to get a shot away at every opportunity. He isn't a ready- aim-fire striker but more of an Ivan Klassnic instantaneous "fire". Baka is a Jimmy Greaves type goal poacher and Charles needs a couple of goals to get him back on track, but Dad-Bod is an exciting find and I hope we can keep him, problem being his form will have been noticed by more than a few managers. Such is the price of success.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:45 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:29 am
On our strikers: I like Dad-Bod's ability to get a shot away at every opportunity. He isn't a ready- aim-fire striker but more of an Ivan Klassnic instantaneous "fire". Baka is a Jimmy Greaves type goal poacher and Charles needs a couple of goals to get him back on track, but Dad-Bod is an exciting find and I hope we can keep him, problem being his form will have been noticed by more than a few managers. Such is the price of success.
You'd like to think that with any of our players who have caught the eye of other clubs that there would a be a degree of loyalty to us as we took a chance on them when no one else did. Yes I know, there's no such thing as loyalty in football, but with this group of players it reminds me of the spirit that we used to have at the height of the Big Sam era. Obviously if they do decide to move on then good luck to them and feck em! :D
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:53 am

JDBs 18 month deal - worth another year this summer?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:55 am

Hmmm. I thought our "business model" was to uncover and sell, hidden gems, in which case you'd expect some to move on (not advocating selling Bod). If that's the case then we're going to lose a few on the road trip, unless someone comes in with a staggering amount for one of 'em...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:59 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:53 am
Not this summer. Maybe in autumn if he carries on like this. We extended a tranche of contracts last autumn - from memory Jones, Izzy, Lee, maybe others - when players had proven they could adapt to the new level; that seems sensible to me.

Obviously we know JDB can play at this level, and hopefully the one above; but it strikes me that both sides, club and player, wanted an 18-month deal which allowed them to suck it and see without too much exposure to risk - the club financially, JDB to another Millwall-style experience of being pushed to the margins.

Put another way: it's possible that he's on one of the higher wages, and that we didn't want to commit to 2.5 years of it; also that he didn't want to commit to 2.5 years in the third tier. If we start well, and he starts well, it could get extended - maybe even with a two-tier payment system, so he gets more if we're in the Champo than L1. But all that would take some agreement, so for now I suspect we'll see how it goes in the new term.

Nice to see him playing penalties with an 8-year-old girl against the stadium wall. Seems a nice lad. Evatt speaks highly of him. I don't think he'll want out.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:06 am

Absolutely - I think he’s bought into the club. We have history with Icelandic players! Be good to get the old scandi network redirected as well…the nExt per frandsen would be nice!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:11 am

Quite a few potential cult heroes in this lot. Baka was in the club shop meeting kids and teaching them how to do tricks as well apparently.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:27 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:11 am
Quite a few potential cult heroes in this lot. Baka was in the club shop meeting kids and teaching them how to do tricks as well apparently.
That's lovely to hear, too. Since that initial supermarket sweep of signing a full squad in a summer - which is always going to be a hit-and-miss affair, even with all the money and scouting in the world, which we didn't have back then - we appear to be doing our homework on personalities and signing "good sorts" off the pitch who show backbone on it. A bit of Cumbrian grit and get-on-with-it from Dempsey and Traf; Morley's cheeky streak of buggardliness like winding up away supporters; Fossey springing back up when hacked down; that sort of thing. I may have reservations over the ability and tactical awareness of one or two players (and the odd coaching blindspot too), but I don't see shirkers.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:53 am

Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:59 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:53 am
Not this summer. Maybe in autumn if he carries on like this. We extended a tranche of contracts last autumn - from memory Jones, Izzy, Lee, maybe others - when players had proven they could adapt to the new level; that seems sensible to me.

Obviously we know JDB can play at this level, and hopefully the one above; but it strikes me that both sides, club and player, wanted an 18-month deal which allowed them to suck it and see without too much exposure to risk - the club financially, JDB to another Millwall-style experience of being pushed to the margins.

Put another way: it's possible that he's on one of the higher wages, and that we didn't want to commit to 2.5 years of it; also that he didn't want to commit to 2.5 years in the third tier. If we start well, and he starts well, it could get extended - maybe even with a two-tier payment system, so he gets more if we're in the Champo than L1. But all that would take some agreement, so for now I suspect we'll see how it goes in the new term.

Nice to see him playing penalties with an 8-year-old girl against the stadium wall. Seems a nice lad. Evatt speaks highly of him. I don't think he'll want out.
I think its quite positive that the vast majority will stay. The players look happy so unless there is a substantial change there I think they'll want to stay. Money talks, as does the lure of the top flight but for the most part I think they'll want to stay around. Even Dapo getting mauled by adoring fans outside the ground was really genuine and nice to see.

There's the obvious few that I think would be heading for the exit door, Amaechi, which seems a shame given how his season has transpired with that injury. I thought he could be a key player but timing wise and recruitment wise means he's never really had a fair crack. Lads got talent clearly but the whole try hard thing seems to be ringing true. Kacha looks like another one that might be out the door, good player and would like to see him at the club next season but its easy to imagine he's not as happy as the rest, perhaps that's just the impression that he gives off and around the ground its a different story, hopefully thats the case.

Either way, I suspect we'll see extra bodies in midfield and defence at the expense of Amaechi, Baptiste, Tutte, etc. Can't imagine the front line will drastically change.
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:27 am
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:11 am
That's lovely to hear, too. Since that initial supermarket sweep of signing a full squad in a summer - which is always going to be a hit-and-miss affair, even with all the money and scouting in the world, which we didn't have back then - we appear to be doing our homework on personalities and signing "good sorts" off the pitch who show backbone on it. A bit of Cumbrian grit and get-on-with-it from Dempsey and Traf; Morley's cheeky streak of buggardliness like winding up away supporters; Fossey springing back up when hacked down; that sort of thing. I may have reservations over the ability and tactical awareness of one or two players (and the odd coaching blindspot too), but I don't see shirkers.
It would seem that we're signing good characters and ones that will fit well within the dressing room, but it would also seem that we may end up signing the odd player that may look like a good character but might have that negative element in them (Sarcevic for example). Take Dion Charles' signing, no sooner had we signed him and his dirty laundry was aired, hopefully that's a nice way of cleaning the slate and letting the lad make the best of his time here without further disruption as he's been good for us so far. Maybe we've got a blind spot in terms of recruitment or maybe that was evident prior to us signing and it's been highlighted early doors so as to not negatively effect us later, who knows. Whichever way we dress it up, the recruitment has been significantly improved.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:44 pm

You can go off people. Per the BN

"The former Reading and Wolves man has been impressed with the choreography but feels it would be improved with one addition.

“They need a drum, for me. They need some timing,” he laughed.

“When they get that I’ll join them and we’ll crack on, hopefully.”"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:52 pm

Agree with almost all your post Mar, but a small note:
Mar wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:53 am
I suspect we'll see extra bodies in midfield and defence at the expense of Amaechi, Baptiste, Tutte, etc. Can't imagine the front line will drastically change.
In terms of EFL squad limits, Amaechi is underage this season and is just about underage next season (he was born 5 Jan 2001 - a week earlier and he'd be overage).

The only players on the 20-man squad list Wanderers submitted in early February who aren't contracted beyond summer are Baps, Gordon, Tutte, Fossey and Fin Lockett (a slightly bizarre inclusion in the 20 considering he's underage and was seriously injured). Other players (Delf, Greenidge, Edwards) fall out of contract but don't free up spaces per se. Oh and that 20 didn't include Sheehan.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:11 pm

Fin Lockett…part of me wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the bench v fleetwood. He was hyped up pre injury wasn’t he?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:24 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:11 pm
Fin Lockett…part of me wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the bench v fleetwood. He was hyped up pre injury wasn’t he?
Yeah, by reputation he was the best youth player remaining at the club (over the age of 18 anyway), and was supposedly close to moving to Wolves.

I suppose the club will have been weighing up how much the injury impacted him before offering a new deal.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:30 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:11 pm
Well regarded, if I recall, but not Remember The Name.

Played the last half-hour in a young reserves squad v Huddersfield B on 29 March - he was our only outfielder on a pro contract. Can't find details of the 0-5 defeat to Fleetwood on 5 March but he made his first start and played 62 minutes on 12 April as another young team beat Walsall 5-1, and he's started again in the reserves game taking place right now.

IDK, maybe on the bench. If we're going to make a slightly 'emotional' sub on that day, could be Alex Maldini.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:49 pm

Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:52 pm
Agree with almost all your post Mar, but a small note:
Mar wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:53 am
I suspect we'll see extra bodies in midfield and defence at the expense of Amaechi, Baptiste, Tutte, etc. Can't imagine the front line will drastically change.
In terms of EFL squad limits, Amaechi is underage this season and is just about underage next season (he was born 5 Jan 2001 - a week earlier and he'd be overage).

The only players on the 20-man squad list Wanderers submitted in early February who aren't contracted beyond summer are Baps, Gordon, Tutte, Fossey and Fin Lockett (a slightly bizarre inclusion in the 20 considering he's underage and was seriously injured). Other players (Delf, Greenidge, Edwards) fall out of contract but don't free up spaces per se. Oh and that 20 didn't include Sheehan.
I understand your point and I get where you are coming from in relation to Amaechi but he's been on loan and can't imagine him wanting to come to us even if he was still underage and given we've got a relatively good set of options up front I can imagine us favouring loans in the defensive third of the pitch.

Lockett looked like he was likely to have more suitors so I can imagine that there is a few things in play there, first his likelihood of getting a deal that was suitable for his performance levels and two the relative disorganised nature of our setup. We've improved those and you would suspect a decent offer would be provided to him but I suspect that the offer he does want might not come to pass given his recent injury.