Never going back again? Sat 30th April 12:30pm KO Fleetwood (H)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Never going back again? Sat 30th April 12:30pm KO Fleetwood (H)

Post by dave the minion » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:15 pm
"Goal of the season" - he's scored a 45 yard tackle lads
Served their keeper right that did - he was playing so high - Neuer-esque - all game for no reason whatsoever!!

Loved the Fleetwood fans joining in the Icelandic goal celebration at the end!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:26 pm

Patchy game but we have the firepower now.

Played very well in patches and very poorly in parts. I guess classic end of season stuff. Wanted a bit more from the first half and we stepped it up second.

Nice for Charles to get his goal(s) and Bod came off the bench to once again show he’s a level above the rest of our attacking players in just about every way. What a find.

James Trafford we want you to stay. Do we ever. Superb today.

Important summer ahead with big decisions to be made. Watching Dapo today I’m not confident he’s here next season. Looked half hearted at best to me.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:41 pm

Dapo kind of always “looks” half-hearted because he plays in a languid style. Watching him at Cheltenham he seemed very far from unbothered. We’ll see but I rarely buy the idea that a player makes his future obvious in the shape of his shoulders.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:46 pm

Medicals are a waste of time but you can see the future in Dapo's gait :D ?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:30 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:41 pm
Dapo kind of always “looks” half-hearted because he plays in a languid style. Watching him at Cheltenham he seemed very far from unbothered. We’ll see but I rarely buy the idea that a player makes his future obvious in the shape of his shoulders.
Exactly, he's often frustrating at times as it looks as though he could quite easily shift up a gear. There was a moment in todays match where he took on about three people and then crossed a lovely ball which ended up in a corner for Bolton. Definitely a quality player.

Todays result was really good. For the players to be as professional as they have been these past few weeks speaks volumes as to how well setup the club is at the moment. It should stand us in good stead for next season.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:55 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:43 pm

Served their keeper right that did - he was playing so high - Neuer-esque - all game for no reason whatsoever!!
Thought of him, ( Neuer ) always glory-hunting as twelfth man. I may be being unkind, but...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:58 pm

That was a fitting end to the season.

Daft moments, loads of entertainment, some frustration, Charles doing Charles things and all the fun of the fair. I loved it.

A good day out.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:59 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:48 pm
Great goal, shite from Johnstone.

Come on Gillingham.
Horrifically harsh on Johnstone there, Blu. That's a little like saying that Dabizas was at fault for Bergkamp's.

It was a marvellous goal, coolly and brilliantly finished. I honestly can't remember the last time I applauded the other side scoring against us.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:26 pm
Watching Dapo today I’m not confident he’s here next season. Looked half hearted at best to me.
So did Nathan Blake. Just sayin' ;)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:12 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:42 pm
Thomasson showing in the 2nd half that he is more effective playing higher in midfield than in front of the defence where he plays too many safe passes behind him. He had a good game silencing those who say he is not good enough. He is a good promising young player. Looking forward now to the strengthening of the team for next seasons challenge.
100% this. By far and away the best 45 minutes he's had for us. There's a player in there, Evatt.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:45 pm

Dapo looked like the only one trying to get us going in the first half - whether he channeled it right I dunno, we looked lopsided as per!

Miles better second half, thought we deserved the win. Nice to be sorting their not really that bothered when they equalised.

I know I got shot down suggesting we extend JDBs contract but he’s a championship striker for me so I’d be extending it. Top class - first name on the team sheet next year.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:49 pm

Thought Thomason was very good, but I’m still not convinced hes good enough - needs a season on loan in league two for me, which may be difficult given Lee and Dempsey look like they are gonna spend a lot of time injured.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:59 pm

Great goal, shite from Johnstone.

Horrifically harsh on Johnstone there, Blu. That's a little like saying that Dabizas was at fault for Bergkamp's. It was a marvellous goal, coolly and brilliantly finished. I honestly can't remember the last time I applauded the other side scoring against us.
Only seen the highlights (several times) , but yes, a totally class goal. Can't be denied.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:10 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:45 pm

I know I got shot down suggesting we extend JDBs contract but he’s a championship striker for me so I’d be extending it. Top class - first name on the team sheet next year.
Reminds me of Frank Worthington the way he gets over the ball to shoot. Too many lean back and try to curl everything in. Charles is another who isn't afraid to put his laces through the ball.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 01, 2022 8:37 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:41 pm
Nah not saying he wants to be away or whatever more that I just don’t think he’s enjoyed it as much recently here. He doesn’t look quite the same player. Probably the role he’s been asked to play that I don’t think he enjoys as much.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 05, 2022 8:29 pm

As an aside. How come L1 wrapped up a week before every other bugger? (Nowhere else it fits and doesn't need a thread)...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 05, 2022 8:57 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:29 pm
As an aside. How come L1 wrapped up a week before every other bugger? (Nowhere else it fits and doesn't need a thread)...
I don't know this for sure, it's my sleuthing suspicion, but I think it's because the last May bank holiday has been moved for the jubilee. Normally the play off finals are that weekend, Sat-Mon.

Can't do that you year so they're across two weekends. League One Sat 21, then Champo Sat 28 and League Two Sun 29.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 05, 2022 9:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:57 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:29 pm
I don't know this for sure, it's my sleuthing suspicion, but I think it's because the last May bank holiday has been moved for the jubilee. Normally the play off finals are that weekend, Sat-Mon.

Can't do that you year so they're across two weekends. League One Sat 21, then Champo Sat 28 and League Two Sun 29.
Yeah. That was my first thought, then I talked myself out of it as I thought they normally went L2 Sat, L1 Sun, Champo Mon, so even if you pulled them all forwards, it would still be L2 that would move...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 06, 2022 12:13 am

I had that in my head too but then I checked (told you I'd sleuthed) and the Champo has been the Saturday for ten years at least.

Guess it's easier for the travel? And better pitch?

So assume they thought: Champo priority, the usual Saturday, league 1 second the previous Saturday, league 2 third, the original Sunday. School day after.

Could be barking up the wrong tree mind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 06, 2022 6:37 am

I am content with the level of sleuthing. :-)