Released/Retained List 2022

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Released/Retained List 2022

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 04, 2022 9:14 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:11 am
Speculation of course but perhaps Baps doesn’t have designs on coaching? He may have other interests. I imagine he’s made a bit of money from the game and perhaps has investments or property plans when he retires?
He didn't. Certainly when he was first here he had no intention of staying in the game after his playing career and from a conversation I had recently that was true until more recently, but seeing the end of your career can change your mind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed May 04, 2022 9:26 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 8:50 am
The_Gun wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 8:45 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 6:26 am
Santos says he wants to stay and talks on a new contract are positive. I'll be thrilled if we can get him signed on for a decent amount of time. He's been an absolute beast this season and his physical attributes give us so many tactical options.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... ract-club/
Yeah I was also very pleased to read that this morning. If we can bring in Iredale, Fossey (if we're confident he's not a perma-crock) and maybe another young CB, we'd be looking pretty good at the back for next season.
Maybe but I think I’d like an upgraded RCB too. We can see Iredale as an upgrade on Gordon plus a replacement/upgrade for Baptiste. I guess we still have Gethin and Aimson but I think I want one more boost.
I'd say a younger centre back with potential who won't expect to start every game. I'd imagine if we bring Iredale in and are going to play with three CBs then Iredale, Santos and Jones will be the starters, with Johnston and Aimson as back-ups. I'm happy that Jones is good enough to play the starting RCB role in a promotion chasing side, so I'd be looking to bring in a high-potential youngster to develop and have as another rotation option.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 04, 2022 9:32 am

On RCBs: fair point - promising youngster might be a good idea. But I am also aware that our leaky defence is THE main area for improvement - will one signing suffice?

On Baps - cheese please. Oh no sorry on Alex Maldini - again, yeah fair - which might explain Evatt’s comments about him having “too much to offer to be lost to the game” or whatever it was.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed May 04, 2022 9:35 am

Wed May 04, 2022 8:46 am
brommers95 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:59 pm
Interesting the wording of "Defender Alex Baptiste and midfielder Andrew Tutte have not had their playing contracts renewed, while full-back Liam Gordon and forward Nathan Delfouneso – who is finishing the season on loan at Bradford City – have been released."

To me that suggests Baps and Tutte are staying around in some sort of coaching capacity.
Ilesy is wondering this too. Well, to “help out with” the B team - which could be a playing role I suppose, if that was enough for them, with an eye to a coaching career.
Experienced pros playing for/coaching under 23 sides has become a bit of a 'thing' this season. Paul McShane for Man United, Gary Dicker for Brighton and Olly Lancashire for Southampton have all taken on coaching roles at those club whilst featuring as a player in some games, acting as a sort of 'live coach' if you will.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed May 04, 2022 9:38 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:03 am
Wed May 04, 2022 8:50 am
Maybe but I think I’d like an upgraded RCB too. We can see Iredale as an upgrade on Gordon plus a replacement/upgrade for Baptiste. I guess we still have Gethin and Aimson but I think I want one more boost.
I'd strongly support us looking into getting Olowu and Martin (on loan from Norwich) from relegated Doncaster.

Olowu is the only centre half who has had Bodvarsson in his pocket this season, which led to Bod playing off the fullbacks to get free. He's fast, strong, good one on one and his Arsenal education means he's capable of much better football than Donny played.

Martin's deal expires next summer and Norwich have been reluctant to offer him new terms thus far. Their relegation may change that, but if we want another option who can affect the final third (with Xav going) I'd suggest he'd be an excellent pick up.
+1 for the Josh Martin recommendation :oyea:

Wouldn't count towards the 22 player limit for next season either.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 04, 2022 9:58 am

Cheers for the link, Brommers - funnily enough I read a couple of Dan Storey pieces this morning (on the Champo).

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed May 04, 2022 10:07 am

That 'support player' concept is an interesting one. I can definitely see the value in keeping experienced pros like Baptiste (and maybe Tutte) around to act as mentors to the younger players and help maintain and enhance the club's culture.

As DSB has previously mentioned, the 'jobs for the boys' mentality is not one I'd be happy for us to embrace, but at the same time I think there's a lot to be said for continuity and establishment of a proper, long-term identity within the organisation.

There are some notable recent examples in the PL (Arsenal, United) where big, successful clubs seem to have the lost the cultural values which helped them in getting to the top, and are now scrabbling around trying to build back these standards behind the scenes.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 04, 2022 11:22 am

A new Santos deal would be massive. Still only 26, and has missed a lot of football. He's got everything to be a premier league player nevermind championship (obviously has to keep improving, but attributes wise). Club captain with options buying in sends great signals too.

Assuming Iredale gets done I'd want another Gethin type. Half full back, half centre back. Add a Wilson/Fossey type, and a keeper, and I'd be happy we've got what we "need", then it's about upgrades.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 04, 2022 11:42 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:22 am
A new Santos deal would be massive. Still only 26, and has missed a lot of football. He's got everything to be a premier league player nevermind championship (obviously has to keep improving, but attributes wise). Club captain with options buying in sends great signals too.
You'd assume both parties would want 3 years. For us it gives us some protection, for Santos it gives him stability. It also offers Santos the chance to got for another long term, more lucrative contract at 29/30 when he's in his prime as a centre back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 04, 2022 12:08 pm

Yeah, my uninformed reckon would be 3 years with a modest but decent fee if we don't go up.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 04, 2022 2:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:22 am
A new Santos deal would be massive. Still only 26, and has missed a lot of football. He's got everything to be a premier league player nevermind championship
Since the various threads on here have become almost an "All roads lead to Rome" circus ,the really relevant question (emphasis question).. seems to be "will next season be (for us) vastly different to the one just closed? . Every Division One team will surely be looking to improve their game, team and position and even I have seen enough to know that the standards here are pretty decent in general. Did our tenth spot truly clarify our level profoundly enough (because we didn't always deserve to win some games competently in truth, did we? ). Are Wigan and Rotherham, despite winning Div 1 top spots, good enough for the Championship?

Accepting it's an "only time will tell" situation all round, with as much certainty as a snakes and ladders board , I just hope pipe-dreaming includes not wearing too many false-feathers over a hard-headed reality mind set, and should my views be banished to the Pessimistic thread? (easily done)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 04, 2022 2:28 pm

:D they're fair points. Plenty games we deserved more than we got too. It's not a hard and fast rule but I think you tend to get what you deserve over a 46 game season.

I'm very optimistic for next year. We had a very tough first half for the season, but were pretty much on the pace for a full half season. None of our key players are at an age you'd think they'd drop off, plenty are young and should approve, and lots are relatively new joiners who should benefit from a full pre-season. Recruitment looks positive and targeted. Still a long way before pen hits paper but if Rico signs on, then we're not losing anyone key for less than good money.

There will be other good teams, but I expect to be right up there next year.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:52 pm

Five Academy graduates given first pro contracts: Max Conway, Elis Litherland, Lamine Toure, Arran Pettifer and Matty Tweedley.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... g-players/

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:06 pm

Tutte confirmed as B-team player-coach; Adam Senior, Fin Lockett and Luke Hutchinson extend pro contracts.

https://twitter.com/OfficialBWFC/status ... 0MEwL2qQVw

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:44 pm

Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:06 pm
Tutte confirmed as B-team player-coach; Adam Senior, Fin Lockett and Luke Hutchinson extend pro contracts.

Surprised to see Tutte confirmed as player coach. Would've thought he would've fancied his chances getting a first team contract elsewhere. Sensible move I guess if he's got a persistent injury causing him problems.

Doesn't specify Lockett & Hutchinson extensions but hopefully they're substantial. From what little i've seen they've both looked good.

As for Senior, its always nice having a local lad (who is a fan) representing the club.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:56 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:44 pm
Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:06 pm

Surprised to see Tutte confirmed as player coach. Would've thought he would've fancied his chances getting a first team contract elsewhere. Sensible move I guess if he's got a persistent injury causing him problems.

Doesn't specify Lockett & Hutchinson extensions but hopefully they're substantial. From what little i've seen they've both looked good.

As for Senior, its always nice having a local lad (who is a fan) representing the club.
I thought that about Turtle. He's only 32 I think, but maybe it is the injury and/or he doesn't fancy dropping back down.
The youngsters, great for them, wish them well but haven't a clue if they're any good!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:57 pm

*Edit Tutte, not Turtle.
Doubt his injury has impacted his pace that much. 🐢

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:02 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:57 pm
*Edit Tutte, not Turtle.
Hopefully the coaching responsibility will help him come out of his shell, though.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:08 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:02 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:57 pm
*Edit Tutte, not Turtle.
Hopefully the coaching responsibility will help him come out of his shell, though.
😜

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:45 pm

It being June 30, a moment's reflection: Matty Alexander, Alex Baptiste, Nathan Delfouneso and Reiss Greenidge are, as of tomorrow, unemployed.

Among others who served under Evatt: Harry Brockbank, Jamie Mascoll and Jak Hickman left their clubs this summer and still seem to be currently unattached.

It's a tough business.