Released/Retained List 2022

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Released/Retained List 2022

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 03, 2022 2:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:11 pm
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2022/may/wa ... epartures/

And here we go. As expected. Alongside confirmation Xav ain’t coming back (not sure that was unexpected at all either).
Aye - not unsurprising.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 03, 2022 2:20 pm

I thought Matty Alexander was the next Lev Yashin?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 03, 2022 2:34 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:20 pm
Yet another gone from the team that played the Coventry game.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 03, 2022 2:41 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:34 pm
Tue May 03, 2022 2:20 pm
Yet another gone from the team that played the Coventry game.
Ah sorry yes, it's Hutch that's eclipsed him. Not quite four months younger...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue May 03, 2022 2:42 pm

No mention of Tutte - has he got another year left?

Edit: ignore that, I just completely missed his name in the article

Hutchinson and Lockett the only two youths who seem to be rated by the club, so no surprise there. It will mean we’ve got a real dearth of players between the ages of 18 and 22, though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 03, 2022 2:57 pm

For clarity, incorporating today's announcement:

TO BE RELEASED
Alex Baptiste
Andrew Tutte
Liam Gordon
Nathan Delfouneso
Reiss Greenidge
Liam Edwards
Matty Alexander
Jay Fitzmartin
Xav Amaechi (loanee "will not be returning")

CONTRACT EXTENSIONS TRIGGERED
Finlay Lockett
Luke Hutchinson

CONTRACT EXTENSION OFFERED
Adam Senior

RETIRING BUT STAYING ON AS COACH
Matt Gilks

----
CONTRACTED TO JUNE 2023
Joel Dixon
Ricardo Santos
Will Aimson
MJ Williams
Kieran Lee
*George Thomason (underage for season 2022/23)
Josh Sheehan
Ronan Darcy
Lloyd Isgrove
Elias Kachunga
Amadou Bakayoko
Jon Dadi Bodvarsson

CONTRACTED TO JUNE 2024
Gethin Jones
George Johnston
Declan John
Kyle Dempsey
Kieran Sadlier
Dapo Afolayan

CONTRACTED TO JUNE 2025
Aaron Morley
Dion Charles

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue May 03, 2022 2:59 pm

Interesting the wording of "Defender Alex Baptiste and midfielder Andrew Tutte have not had their playing contracts renewed, while full-back Liam Gordon and forward Nathan Delfouneso – who is finishing the season on loan at Bradford City – have been released."

To me that suggests Baps and Tutte are staying around in some sort of coaching capacity.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 03, 2022 3:07 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:59 pm
Interesting the wording of "Defender Alex Baptiste and midfielder Andrew Tutte have not had their playing contracts renewed, while full-back Liam Gordon and forward Nathan Delfouneso – who is finishing the season on loan at Bradford City – have been released."

To me that suggests Baps and Tutte are staying around in some sort of coaching capacity.
Yeah, I wondered why the need for the elegant variation. Unless we've just immediately cut ties with Delf & Gordon - paid 'em up & p*ssed 'em off - while the other two hang around until the end of June.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 03, 2022 3:10 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:59 pm

Perhaps it means there are coaching offers on the table IF either can’t get fixed up elsewhere. It could say we’ve offered them coaching roles so I suspect they are exploring options for now.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 03, 2022 3:13 pm

Wonder if Tutte is retiring?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 03, 2022 3:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:10 pm
Perhaps it means there are coaching offers on the table IF either can’t get fixed up elsewhere. It could say we’ve offered them coaching roles so I suspect they are exploring options for now.
Yeah, that sounds feasible. And we will need some new coaches. But I hope we get the best folks for the job, not just jobs for best mates.

Said before - Evatt hired Atherton, with whom he'd never played, as his No.2 so he's capable of hiring fresh blood. I wasn't quite so impressed with hiring Sam Hird as a first-team coach (and sometime Reserves gaffer) so it'll be interesting to see if we hire a fresh voice this summer for the Bs.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 03, 2022 3:34 pm

The only one I'm mildly surprised at is the release of Liam Gordon. Whereas I'm fully onboard with the idea that we need players who can get us up and keep us up, I thought that Gordon showed this season that he can provide decent cover when he came in for John.
We'll still need a squad.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 03, 2022 3:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:34 pm
The only one I'm mildly surprised at is the release of Liam Gordon. Whereas I'm fully onboard with the idea that we need players who can get us up and keep us up, I thought that Gordon showed this season that he can provide decent cover when he came in for John.
It suggests we have better alternatives in mind. I didn’t dislike Flash, seems a good lad, but I never really got the impression there was a Championship player in him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 03, 2022 3:57 pm

Tue May 03, 2022 3:14 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:10 pm
Yeah, that sounds feasible. And we will need some new coaches. But I hope we get the best folks for the job, not just jobs for best mates.

Said before - Evatt hired Atherton, with whom he'd never played, as his No.2 so he's capable of hiring fresh blood. I wasn't quite so impressed with hiring Sam Hird as a first-team coach (and sometime Reserves gaffer) so it'll be interesting to see if we hire a fresh voice this summer for the Bs.
Yeah agreed, coaching is a skill. It’s not something everyone is equally good at. And keeping folks he’s managed or played with before around cos they are ‘good guys’ doesn’t really do much for me. Gilks another example. Great bloke. Is he the best keeping coach around we could get? No idea. He might be. But I think a balance of a few of these sorts but also some external recruits where we pick the best coaching/sports science experts we can would be better.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 03, 2022 4:20 pm

Tue May 03, 2022 3:54 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
It suggests we have better alternatives in mind. I didn’t dislike Flash, seems a good lad, but I never really got the impression there was a Championship player in him.
No, and I'm not really saying there is, but we will need players as back-up, and in that regard I thought he was very decent squad material. I'm not sure how many players better than Gordon there are who'll come in on that basis - unless, of course, we're really pushing the boat out for someone capable of giving John a run for his money, which would be very nice, of course. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 03, 2022 4:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:20 pm
Tue May 03, 2022 3:54 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
No, and I'm not really saying there is, but we will need players as back-up, and in that regard I thought he was very decent squad material. I'm not sure how many players better than Gordon there are who'll come in on that basis - unless, of course, we're really pushing the boat out for someone capable of giving John a run for his money, which would be very nice, of course. :)
I thought he was a good lad who tried hard and had pace. But I also think he’s not getting in any squads in the top 6 of this league this season. So I think it makes sense that we find alternatives. Especially as I don’t think he’s ever a wing back ever….a traditional LB maybe.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 03, 2022 4:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Aye. It wasn't the clearest-cut decision - he's better than Greenidge, more reliably upright than Tutte - but we are now getting to the point of needing a few upgrades here and there. As you say we need a squad - John hasn't got the best injury record - but we need it to be competitive rather than cover. Gordon could do a job there but we need people pushing the first XI and/or offering different options.

Basic test now for all squad players: "Is this lad promotion material?"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue May 03, 2022 4:49 pm

Tue May 03, 2022 4:32 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Aye. It wasn't the clearest-cut decision - he's better than Greenidge, more reliably upright than Tutte - but we are now getting to the point of needing a few upgrades here and there. As you say we need a squad - John hasn't got the best injury record - but we need it to be competitive rather than cover. Gordon could do a job there but we need people pushing the first XI and/or offering different options.

Basic test now for all squad players: "Is this lad promotion material?"
Not entirely sure he is better than Greenidge to be honest, more that he stuck around long enough to learn exactly how we play. Greenidge seemed to leave before we really hit our stride in terms of the squad knowing exactly what they were doing. Physicals he should be up there with Santos but probably didn't like bench warming and chose different pastures.

Credit to Gordon though, covered well but like most parts here it was abundantly clear he was cover for the main squad and didn't look to be getting games any time soon. I think it makes sense to get a challenger. Gordon may have been able to do that but its a sensible approach to look elsewhere given that he's not managed to convince when he's been at the club.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue May 03, 2022 5:13 pm

Gordon vs Greenidge.. hard to compare as they played different positions. But to my mind, Greenidge was nowhere near being a L1 player in his position while Gordon has shown promise that maybe he COULD be one given his age. Not surprised that they both have been released as we have to make space for better players to come in where we are weak and exposed to help us get promoted next season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 03, 2022 5:57 pm

Aye, it's possible that Gordon benefited from more coaching for longer, but Greenidge looked historically hapless. That foul throw. Then again, Santos didn't look great early days, as in Prufrock's deathless description of his display at Colchester being the worst he'd seen at any level good enough to feature a referee.

It will be interesting to see where they end up - both this summer and "eventually". I would be surprised if Liam gets a third-tier offer. Morecambe, maybe?