The Pessimist's Guide to 22/23

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: The Pessimist's Guide to 22/23

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:03 pm

Critchley gone to Villa. Evatt to Blackpool as his replacement.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:48 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:03 pm
Will definitely happen and we'll get Phil brown to replace him. Just for Bruce.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:22 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:48 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:03 pm
Will definitely happen and we'll get Phil brown to replace him. Just for Bruce.

Brownie with or without BSA? And wee Sammy too perhaps?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:46 pm

Their first signing could be freebie Luca Connell, now released by Celtic!
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:09 am

2 weeks to Portugal. No RWB.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:25 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:09 am
2 weeks to Portugal. No RWB.
And we need two. And another LWB to cover John.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:23 pm

It's interesting to see Marc Iles get increasingly less bullish about Evatt staying and start blocking people for pointing out his previous errors.

So that's Evatt gone then.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:23 pm
It's interesting to see Marc Iles get increasingly less bullish about Evatt staying and start blocking people for pointing out his previous errors.

Domed.

I don’t think Evatt will go but I do think some of the ‘why would he go there’ sentiments are wide of the mark. Blackpool are a good summer and a bit of luck away from a stab at the premiership. Ok a big ask. An unlikely one. But Bolton are still well short of that.

I’m also not as convinced that FV can match Evatts expectations in terms of financing players. I know he says otherwise but this summer is a bigger test as signings are only worth it if they are making us better. And you feel in many cases that means parting with cash. And arguably for established sorts not younger ones necessarily.

I don’t think he will go personally but if he will go anywhere then Blackpool must be close to the top of a realistic list given the history.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:51 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Domed.

I don’t think Evatt will go but I do think some of the ‘why would he go there’ sentiments are wide of the mark. Blackpool are a good summer and a bit of luck away from a stab at the premiership. Ok a big ask. An unlikely one. But Bolton are still well short of that.

I’m also not as convinced that FV can match Evatts expectations in terms of financing players. I know he says otherwise but this summer is a bigger test as signings are only worth it if they are making us better. And you feel in many cases that means parting with cash. And arguably for established sorts not younger ones necessarily.

I don’t think he will go personally but if he will go anywhere then Blackpool must be close to the top of a realistic list given the history.
The fact that he's played there before and has ties to the club presumably must make it a tempting proposition. Whatever contact that Evatt has had with Blackpool surely must give him pause for thought.

Evatt has done well in his time so far at Bolton and we look certain to challenge for the top of the table next season. I would imagine that would be reason enough for him to carry on at Bolton, at least for this coming season. Getting promoted through all the leagues surely must be an interesting challenge for him.

That being said, what are the odds of Evatt rocking up at Blackpool with Baptiste in his backroom staff.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Domed.

Agreed with this - similar average attendances as well really - their 12k to our 15k. It’s not as far fetched as some make out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:36 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:38 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Domed.

The fact that he's played there before and has ties to the club presumably must make it a tempting proposition. Whatever contact that Evatt has had with Blackpool surely must give him pause for thought.

Evatt has done well in his time so far at Bolton and we look certain to challenge for the top of the table next season. I would imagine that would be reason enough for him to carry on at Bolton, at least for this coming season. Getting promoted through all the leagues surely must be an interesting challenge for him.

That being said, what are the odds of Evatt rocking up at Blackpool with Baptiste in his backroom staff.
Look certain is stretching it a bit. If we bring the right quality of players in for the right positions I think we are right up there. But it’s a tough and competitive division. A few weeks ago we looked likely to bring back Fossey and Trafford. Now both of those have question marks over them.

It’s not impossible for someone to think Blackpool offers a more immediate rise up the leagues. I’d also argue that any championship glass ceiling applies as much to us as to them unless FV find significant investment.

I don’t think he will go yet. Personally. I think he wants to see the job through here. But Blackpool obviously have a tie to him and that might make it a little more tempting than say Luton or similar. I still think he will stay because there is untapped potential here and I suspect that excites him. He also knows he has full backing here. Ten hard results at Blackpool and you might be under real pressure and hanging on to your job week by week.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:22 pm

Iles latest "reassuring" piece is about as close to "He's gone if they call" as you can get. "Happy and focused on the job"....if I was working on the backroom staff I'd be expecting a new boss within the week.

Honestly, a lot of the time it's just that Marc writes in a certain way and he communicates a lot he doesn't intend to; but if a proper paper published that about a Prem manager they'd be gone.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:36 pm

Iles has just recycled some old quotes into an article cos people have been on his back all day. I suspect Ian is on holiday - wether his agent is feeling out the salary and budget on offer I’m not sure!
I think there’s more chance of a promotion next season with us - unless it’s a wild offer (which he may use to get a match from Sharon) I think he will stay.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:38 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:36 pm
Iles has just recycled some old quotes into an article cos people have been on his back all day. I suspect Ian is on holiday - wether his agent is feeling out the salary and budget on offer I’m not sure!
I think there’s more chance of a promotion next season with us - unless it’s a wild offer (which he may use to get a match from Sharon) I think he will stay.
He is on holiday.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:06 pm

Yeah but he's gone on holiday to Blackpool...followed by a week in Filey.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:42 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:22 pm
Iles latest "reassuring" piece is about as close to "He's gone if they call" as you can get. "Happy and focused on the job"....if I was working on the backroom staff I'd be expecting a new boss within the week.

Honestly, a lot of the time it's just that Marc writes in a certain way and he communicates a lot he doesn't intend to; but if a proper paper published that about a Prem manager they'd be gone.
He's had a reet sulk at some harmless joshing about his 'Cotterill or Adams' tweet before Parky's appointment. Bit sensitive if you ask me.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:08 pm

Just had a look at the league table, we're behind both Accrington and Barnsley...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:42 pm

I think he'd be bonkers to go to Blackpool, but sometimes bonkers things happen in football.

I've mentioned it before but my pet theory is any move as a manager is a big risk, and if you cock up one of the steps you could ruin your whole career, so best to minimise steps on the ladder as much as possible.

From Barrow to where he realistically wants to be, established prem manager with a chance of a big club or England is probably two moves, maybe one if close to miracles happen. He said when he came here he'd had interest from smaller L1 teams. But with us he can realistically go to the Champo and from there either a bottom half Prem team or one of the Champo clubs with aims of establishing themselves as a Prem team.

I think there's pretty equal chance of us or Blackpool becoming established Prem teams in the next 5-6 years. A small but v unlikely chance. So if he went to Blackpool he'd still need another move from there, and with it more risk.

He's well backed here, and credit in the bank if there's a tough spell. I'm sure he'll be targeting promotion next year (as well as some profile raising cup runs) Is it worth the risk to go to a "smaller" club albeit a league up? Where he'd have some credit in the bank with the fans from his playing days, but probably not enough to survive a really bad spell.

If I were him I'd be waiting for a bigger ship to board.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:42 pm
I think he'd be bonkers to go to Blackpool, but sometimes bonkers things happen in football.

I've mentioned it before but my pet theory is any move as a manager is a big risk, and if you cock up one of the steps you could ruin your whole career, so best to minimise steps on the ladder as much as possible.

From Barrow to where he realistically wants to be, established prem manager with a chance of a big club or England is probably two moves, maybe one if close to miracles happen. He said when he came here he'd had interest from smaller L1 teams. But with us he can realistically go to the Champo and from there either a bottom half Prem team or one of the Champo clubs with aims of establishing themselves as a Prem team.

I think there's pretty equal chance of us or Blackpool becoming established Prem teams in the next 5-6 years. A small but v unlikely chance. So if he went to Blackpool he'd still need another move from there, and with it more risk.

He's well backed here, and credit in the bank if there's a tough spell. I'm sure he'll be targeting promotion next year (as well as some profile raising cup runs) Is it worth the risk to go to a "smaller" club albeit a league up? Where he'd have some credit in the bank with the fans from his playing days, but probably not enough to survive a really bad spell.

If I were him I'd be waiting for a bigger ship to board.
This. Not sure bonkers. He has ties there higher division. So not go as far as saying bonkers. But not a sound career move for reasons you highlight.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:26 am

Just been speaking with my (non-Bolton fan) M.D who asked me about the link - I said I can't see it happening

His words were "Yeah, but he's only a decent run away from being in the mix for Premier League Play-offs, then anything can happen"

And he's right you know.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"