Your Top 3 Upgrades To Take Us Forward

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Your Top 3 Upgrades To Take Us Forward

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 05, 2022 8:17 am

Thought it might be fun to see what people on here think are the three most important positions to upgrade ahead of next season. I think for the purposes of this we'd assume Trafford and Fossey rock back up, with Dapo and Santos staying on. So, assuming last season's squad stays together:

Which 3 roles/positions/players do we most need to improve? What do you think we need to add in that position for us to make meaningful progress? If we improved to the level you'd like, what do you think would be a realistic target for the team next season?

As much or as little detail as you like in terms of the whys and wherefores.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Your Top 3 Upgrades To Take Us Forward

Post by Mar » Thu May 05, 2022 9:51 am

I'd like to think that these would be fairly obvious, but here goes:

GK
DF
WB

GK
The goalkeeper is the main one for me. We've recruited and regretted over the past few seasons. Getting someone to hit the ground running would be a massive plus for us next season. Crellin and Dixon have both looked good in parts but have needed replacing after nervous periods in the season. Ensuring that we don't have that period would be helpful. Vaclav Hladky at Ipswich might be a good shout, stood out at Salford and he's seemingly playing second fiddle at Ipswich. Might fancy a move back up north. I'm hopeful we'll secure Trafford, but I suspect his Man City overlords will send him out abroad.

DF
We've missed Jones and John this season, and their absence has cost us. Finding someone to fill in when they are missing would definitely be beneficial to the squad. Santos may have been missed at the tail end of the season but I suspect that the opposition and lack of meaningful matches might make the partnership at the end of the season look better than it is. Harder opposition might cost us but for the most part I think we need someone who can contribute towards the attack. (perhaps Sadlier covering here might be the alternative). For what its worth I don't think our defence is in urgent need of change, had Doyle been putting away his chances last season it would've reflected a lot better on our defence last season as chasing the game certainly means more pressure on our defence.

WB
Kioso and Fossey both had notable impacts on our season on the wing. Getting another equivalent wide man should prove a good addition.

Note, I did consider MJ's position and presumed lack of cover there, but I'd like to think that we'd be covered well enough with Johnstone, Morley and Sadlier to account for that as less of a priority.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 05, 2022 10:58 am

If (as per the OP) we assume Traf, Foss, Dapo and Santos are aboard:

CB
CB
DM or possibly 10 or LWB2

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 05, 2022 11:09 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:58 am

CB
CB
Is about where I was :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 05, 2022 11:14 am

CB
CB
What do those players look like (skill set, level, etc) and if we got them what is a realistic target for next season, do you think?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 05, 2022 11:44 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 11:14 am

CB
CB
What do those players look like (skill set, level, etc) and if we got them what is a realistic target for next season, do you think?
Roughly speaking, the aim is:
Centre-backs who defend at least as well as Aimson but are at least as good on the ball as Johnston
A defensive midfielder with more mobility/pace than lovely MJ
LWB: it's tempting to get someone who does a different job to John - more defensive (Iredale?) or more attacking (Cadden?) - but we have to be a little careful not to overspecify, as John may not play 50 games next season.
The 10 is possibly the most mythical player in this theoretical team. Someone who can "unlock" etc. As I say it my be Sheehan. If we sign a 10 I don't know where Dapo plays...

Whoever we sign the target will be top six. If we sign these I don't think it would be made to target automatic promotion, but many clubs will.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 05, 2022 11:51 am

I thought we were a centre back short last year even with Baps. So two centre backs for me. One I assume will be Iredale. Then another Gethin sort on the right for me.

After that I don't think there's an obvious weakness, so would be more dependent on the quality of the player available than a weakness in a particular position.

Assuming then there was another 9/10 at this level, Dapo, Rico level player in every position but I could only have one... I'd be tempted by an MJ upgrade, but would probably go for a striker. We've got goals in the group up there, and the way we ask them to play means there will be a lot of rotation, but a top class forward I think would be the difference between being in the top 6 mix, and being big title contenders.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 05, 2022 12:29 pm

A centre back who reads the game and is rock solid and dependable with some experience.

A midfield player with real physical presence and an engine that allows them to get round the pitch and win the ball higher up. Someone who isn’t a midget.

A wing back who can cover either side and has genuine pace and likes to drive at teams.

If I can cheat and add a fourth it would be as Pru says another striker who can give us 4 out and out strikers to perm two from. That’s assuming we set out mainly as a 352.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 05, 2022 12:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 11:51 am
I thought we were a centre back short last year even with Baps. So two centre backs for me. One I assume will be Iredale. Then another Gethin sort on the right for me.

After that I don't think there's an obvious weakness, so would be more dependent on the quality of the player available than a weakness in a particular position.

Assuming then there was another 9/10 at this level, Dapo, Rico level player in every position but I could only have one... I'd be tempted by an MJ upgrade, but would probably go for a striker. We've got goals in the group up there, and the way we ask them to play means there will be a lot of rotation, but a top class forward I think would be the difference between being in the top 6 mix, and being big title contenders.
All this makes sense too - I know we're talking theoreticals, but it depends on availability. I'd rather have an 8-out-of-10 in any position than a 6-out-of-10 just because they're available. We have the squad depth to avoid that now. and be more selective.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 05, 2022 12:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:29 pm
A centre back who reads the game and is rock solid and dependable with some experience.

A midfield player with real physical presence and an engine that allows them to get round the pitch and win the ball higher up. Someone who isn’t a midget.

A wing back who can cover either side and has genuine pace and likes to drive at teams.

If I can cheat and add a fourth it would be as Pru says another striker who can give us 4 out and out strikers to perm two from. That’s assuming we set out mainly as a 352.
First two I can't argue with, although I still suspect you want Faye in both positions :mrgreen:

I hear you on the wingback cover but I would argue that finding someone genuinely two-footed who can do both sides is less likely than finding someone who can, say, play LB and LWB. Or maybe we already have, and he's called Sadlier. I think we'd be lucky to get better than that.

As for that extra striker - your last sentence is the nub. If we do revert to a back four then we're only playing one striker, unless this 4-2-2-2 thing works - and the experience of Hasenhuttl's Southampton and Rangnick's United suggests that while it can work sometimes, at others it can be vulnerable to a comic degree.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 05, 2022 12:48 pm

Thu May 05, 2022 12:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:29 pm

First two I can't argue with, although I still suspect you want Faye in both positions :mrgreen:

I hear you on the wingback cover but I would argue that finding someone genuinely two-footed who can do both sides is less likely than finding someone who can, say, play LB and LWB. Or maybe we already have, and he's called Sadlier. I think we'd be lucky to get better than that.

As for that extra striker - your last sentence is the nub. If we do revert to a back four then we're only playing one striker, unless this 4-2-2-2 thing works - and the experience of Hasenhuttl's Southampton and Rangnick's United suggests that while it can work sometimes, at others it can be vulnerable to a comic degree.
No to Faye in either. I’d say a Muamba sort would be ideal in this team. And for the trite option a Stuart Holden. And Bergson at the back. Or if that’s a little too trite then Florent Laville.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 05, 2022 12:53 pm

Thu May 05, 2022 12:40 pm
If you can cast your mind back without too much horror there was a stage about 18 months ago where I was prattling on about a 90s Italian thing that Evatt's approach seemed to be heading towards.

I'm back there again, in that those systems tended towards 5-3-2 against respectable foes and 4-2-2-2 when teams expected to be top dog in the match. In both cases very wonky.

I'd not be shocked if we went that way, though predicting Evatt's whims is the work of a clairvoyant more than an analyst.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 05, 2022 1:27 pm

Oh - nearly forgot - one of them needs to be Veloso (can't pass a transfer window without a mention)...

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu May 05, 2022 1:31 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 1:27 pm
Oh - nearly forgot - one of them needs to be Veloso (can't pass a transfer window without a mention)...
The striker being Leroy Lita

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 05, 2022 2:03 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 1:31 pm
The striker being Leroy Lita
Get in the pessimism thread where you belong :D