Up for the Cups in 22/23

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Up for the Cups in 22/23

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:54 pm

Quick thread starter - we've got Crewe and Tranmere in the Sherpa Van...

U21 opponents could be Everton, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, City, Rags, Newcastle or Wolves. Which one (and home/away deets) will be sorted Thursday afternoon. (League fixtures also come out Thursday, so well done to the EFL for managing to overshadow its own competition.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Up for the Cups in 22/23

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:02 pm

Wouldn’t be right not playing Crewe! And that gives our friends from the Wirral a chance for a cup final…

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:04 pm

Will we get to play away at Crewe? There's a marvellous chippy over the way from Gresty Road, see?! :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:42 pm

I *think* it's usually one home and one away for the other proper clubs, and the U21s at home, so two home and one away.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:42 pm
I *think* it's usually one home and one away for the other proper clubs, and the U21s at home, so two home and one away.
This is so. Therefore, it's either Bruce's chippy or Half Man Half Biscuit's backyard.

Wider point for the thread: I say this most years but I would like us to have a proper pop at the cups this year. I suspect we will get a lot of rotation anyway so it's not as if the first-team also-rans should be playing in the trophies. And as I've said before, cup runs are a good way to reach the hearts of Bolton fans.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:42 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:55 pm
And as I've said before, cup runs are a good way to reach the hearts of Bolton fans.
I think it would be now. We were obviously having it too good though back in 2004 when a frankly embarrassing 16,302 pitched up for the Villa home leg.

The woodwork was veritably creaking with folk crawling out of it for Cardiff tickets however.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:42 pm
And as I've said before, cup runs are a good way to reach the hearts of Bolton fans.
I think it would be now. We were obviously having it too good though back in 2004 when a frankly embarrassing 16,302 pitched up for the Villa home leg.

The woodwork was veritably creaking with folk crawling out of it for Cardiff tickets however.
Indeed. And those not there missed one of the great games at the Reebok.

The second leg was one of the most nail biting games I’ve sat through.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:42 pm

Attendance-wise, we can be a bit of a weird club. Take for instance 99/00 - the season we lost in three semis. League Cup Semi against hated Tranmere, only 13,000 on. A month later we host Charlton in the FA Cup and top 20k. Come the play-offs, it's back down to 18,000...

But a decent cup run has made heroes of managers in the past. Evatt's certainly making progress and I'm sure he'd take 'only' winning promotion but a cup run might raise the love levels a lot.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:01 pm

I think we’re due a ‘cupset’ this year - as in we’ll be on the right side of one. We’ve been down here long enough to have been forgotten about, we’ll get a lower premier league team with their eye elsewhere in the cup and beat them.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:02 pm

Good for profile boosting too, if we think he's into that :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:04 pm

I'd love a run in the FA / League cup
Couldn't give less of a sh*te about the Pizza one, as I'm against the inclusion of Premier League u23 squads

Bolton fans though... Half of them will be annoyed that we're not sacrificing cups for League placement and won't to cup games out of protest
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:14 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:04 pm
Couldn't give less of a sh*te about the Pizza one, as I'm against the inclusion of Premier League u23 squads
Genuine question (because I understand your antagonism): would you go to Wembley if we got there? Or the semi? Or neither?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:43 pm

I'd like to see us compete in the cups for once. Go past the first couple of rounds of the FA or the League for the first time in what feels like forever.

But the FA Trophy is one that we can compete in and actually win. I couldn't give a toss if it's the lowest profile tin of the lot. It's about time we had something to properly celebrate.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:49 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:43 pm
I'd like to see us compete in the cups for once. Go past the first couple of rounds of the FA or the League for the first time in what feels like forever.

But the FA Trophy is one that we can compete in and actually win. I couldn't give a toss if it's the lowest profile tin of the lot. It's about time we had something to properly celebrate.
I'm hoping for the same push to win this. Might be tinpot but it'll be our tinpot should we win it, and we all know how well the Sherpa Van Trophy is remembered.

As for Crewe and Tranmere, good set of fixtures that. The last one, i'm hoping will be Everton's youth, but quite honestly I don't take the inclusion of the youth teams seriously. Win or lose, the fixture is only a showpiece for the big teams and their stockpiling of talent. Reduce their youth capacity and maybe we'd see some of that talent filtering into smaller clubs as opposed to teams having decent players not actually playing in the leagues.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:51 pm

Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:53 pm

But a decent cup run has made heroes of managers in the past.
If we're ever having a whip-round for a Bruce Rioch statue...... :)

That's pretty much what I meant about 'now'. Our stock appears to be growing and I'm sure plenty of the current stay-aways would be back if we could put a few noses out of joint again.

The lack of home support for the European games absolutely baffled me. It meant sooooo much to have qualified for the first (and what could have been the only time for all we knew) in our lives and folk couldn't be arsed with it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:25 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
But the FA Trophy is one that we can compete in
It's really not, mate - the FA Trophy's for the top four tiers of non-league :mrgreen:

The English Football League Trophy, formerly the Associate Members' Cup, known variously for sponsorship reasons as the Freight Rover Trophy, Sherpa Van Trophy, Leyland DAF Cup, Autoglass Trophy, Auto Windscreens Shield, LDV Vans Trophy, Johnstone's Paint Trophy, Checkatrade Trophy, Leasing.com Trophy and Papa John's Trophy – now that's where the glory's at. :pissed:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:42 pm

On topic…it’s a year to focus on promotion for me. Last year we had a good opportunity to really get a good run to Wembley together but I think this season focus has to be league over papa johns nonsense.

However I’d take a Wembley league cup final. Sure.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:08 pm

Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:25 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
But the FA Trophy is one that we can compete in
It's really not, mate - the FA Trophy's for the top four tiers of non-league :mrgreen:

The English Football League Trophy, formerly the Associate Members' Cup, known variously for sponsorship reasons as the Freight Rover Trophy, Sherpa Van Trophy, Leyland DAF Cup, Autoglass Trophy, Auto Windscreens Shield, LDV Vans Trophy, Johnstone's Paint Trophy, Checkatrade Trophy, Leasing.com Trophy and Papa John's Trophy – now that's where the glory's at. :pissed:
Bollocks. Wrong tinpot tin.

Bugger it, let's win that one an' all.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:56 pm

Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:14 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:04 pm
Genuine question (because I understand your antagonism): would you go to Wembley if we got there? Or the semi? Or neither?
That's why I don't want to be in, so I don't have to wrestle with my conscience :-)

I reckon I'd turn out for Wembley though, yeah
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:38 pm

We've got Salford City at home in the first round of the Carabao Cup. Tie to be played Wednesday 10th August.

Boring tie but at least we have a good chance of winning.