B Team Thread 22/23 Season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

B Team Thread 22/23 Season

Post by brommers95 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:22 pm

May as well give them their own thread this season. A place to put the latest B Team transfers, results and general news etc.

Would be good to get the thoughts of anyone who happens to go to one of the games.

Squad not shaping up too badly. There's currently 15 players signed up and I'm sure there'll be a few more additions over the next few weeks (as well as being supplemented by the most promising under 18s over the course of the season).

Thrown together in a rough lineup below:

Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 20.16.18.png
Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 20.16.18.png (73.61 KiB) Viewed 8571 times

I've put together some clips of ex-United lad Connor Stanley and ex-Canary Nelson Khumbeni for anyone interested.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: B Team Thread 22/23 Season

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:28 pm

Are the B Team due to play their home games at Leyland?
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:46 pm

Well done, Brommers. I was hoping someone would bother keeping track for me. I really appreciate it.

To my eye we look a couple of defenders and a mid short. Assuming the aim is the 18 mentioned previously.

It's being done exactly how I'd hoped we'd approach it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:28 pm
I wish.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:28 pm
I think it’s just Lostock but not 100% on that.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:00 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:46 pm
Well done, Brommers. I was hoping someone would bother keeping track for me. I really appreciate it.

To my eye we look a couple of defenders and a mid short. Assuming the aim is the 18 mentioned previously.

It's being done exactly how I'd hoped we'd approach it.
Nae bother, will be interesting to see if any of these lads stake a claim for the first team.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:01 pm

Are they all on twelve month contracts, do we know?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:01 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:54 pm
I think it’s just Lostock but not 100% on that.
I asked someone at the club when the idea was first dropped and they said similar. Probably Lostock, but not 100% settled and some games might be elsewhere. I assume it's all settled now, but haven't seen any information. I'd be very interested to know if anyone else has.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:06 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:00 pm
Nae bother, will be interesting to see if any of these lads stake a claim for the first team.
Providing us with the weird situation where the worse our season is the more interesting the B Team will be.

I imagine it'll be like it was when Sam was here, where any first teamer the fans turn on will face the "We've better players in the reserves, give them a go!" treatment from people who never watch the reserves.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:53 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:01 pm
Are they all on twelve month contracts, do we know?
Contract lengths don’t seem to have been announced but I would imagine so.

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:06 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:00 pm
Providing us with the weird situation where the worse our season is the more interesting the B Team will be.

I imagine it'll be like it was when Sam was here, where any first teamer the fans turn on will face the "We've better players in the reserves, give them a go!" treatment from people who never watch the reserves.
I’m interested to see whether Sithole or Carty becomes the next Connor Hall/Jamie Thomas/Alex Samizadeh :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:18 pm

Bs gaffer Matt Craddock talks up Connor Stanley - the diminutive 10/winger who Evatt drafted up to the early senior squads when Baka was injured.
He is a Man United product and Connor technically is fantastic. We are doing a lot of work with him at the moment because he gets in really good positions to break the lines and sometimes will play back in, rather than playing forward and getting at people. I think what we saw tonight in flashes was that bit and that is what I am really pleased about.

I will keep harping on about it but that is what our job is. We have got to look at individual players and how we can make them better, and that was one thing that we have been talking with Connor about and he showed that today, so I was really pleased with him. He just showed off how technically good he is.

He probably had a couple of chances to get a shot off in the first half, which he didn’t. But he will learn from that and I was really pleased with his performances today, he looked a real handful.

We've got players that have come from different areas, different clubs, they’ve played different styles. It takes a little bit of time to try and get them up to speed with what we want and how we want to play. But they are all trying. They are all listening when we do videos, and we do a lot of work in training.

I think in flashes tonight it looked like what a Bolton Wanderers team is about, and that is the pleasing thing for me because that is our job. It is going to take time but I think we are seeing flashes, and I keep saying it – the flashes in the pan, we need to make those last longer and happen more often. If we can do that, that means we are making all the players better.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... n-24538791

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:34 pm

Do we know what kind of fixture list the B’s will have? Seems to me to be an opportunity for I follow or turnstile monies either way?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:43 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:34 pm
Do we know what kind of fixture list the B’s will have? Seems to me to be an opportunity for I follow or turnstile monies either way?
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2022/april/ ... -in-place/
the ‘B’ team model will allow further flexibility in choosing extra games to be fitted alongside the core fixture calendar of the Central League. This season, the Whites were able to benefit from playing Premier League opposition in the shape of Burnley in the Central League Cup.

And moving forward, they will now be able to hand-pick additional opposition from senior teams to Under-23s sides, and teams across academy category ranges, to build a bigger games’ programme and give young players a better opportunity to move towards a first-team career.

Manager Ian Evatt said: “Our first team is improving all the time and in turn the gap between the first team and the U18s is becoming bigger and bigger.

“So how do we bridge that gap and give our U18s and younger players a longer time to mature, to get stronger physically, tactically, technically and mentally?

“This will enable us to do that and having a ‘B’ team will give us the flexibility – alongside the Central League programme – to play against all different types of opposition and they can develop accordingly.
Last year the Central League included six teams - us, PNE, Fleetwood, Accy, Huddersfield and Walsall. The Central League Cup started with groups, adding Burnley, Rochdale, Carlisle, Morecambe, Lincoln, Grimsby and Rotherham.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:59 pm

Can somebody explain how this model works economically at our level?
I have no idea how much we pay players at this level so I am guessing
But 15 players plus coaching staff can’t be far off £1million per year.

How do we recoup that?
Is it savings on future transfer fees (which we have rarely paid in recent years)?
Or is it fees earned when we sell them on?
Or are they just an expense?

How many have to come good for this to be a wise investment?
I can see It probably makes sense at championship level where £1m does not buy very much and one player every few years would be worth it, but I struggle to see how it adds up for a league 1 team.

Or maybe this is our version of spending like a championship club before we actually get there?
What goes around may still come around

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:43 pm

I think there are still minimum amounts you have to spend to enter the U23s leagues (which I think are based on the different academy levels rather than a merit up/down tiered system). My reckon is that this is cheaper than joining those, but more expensive than what we were doing before in the central league. We haven't really had a U23s since The Before Times so we were always going to have to recruit to one.

So my reckon is the cost angle is overplayed. 15 players + staff was always going to be what e needed to pay for to have something between U18 and first team.

We've still got the U18s. As always the end of that is a decision point where most are let go. The ones kept on will join the U23s (like Senior and Hutchinson).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:38 pm

B team one nil down at Southport. Work in progress an all that. Would be nice to have something to shout about though

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:15 pm

So let me get this straight we’ve specifically recruited a B team so we can lose to non league teams all year? Super.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:19 pm

Not convinced I'd be expecting a team largely put together in the last couple of weeks to automatically click...are you expecting them to produce first teamers by end Sept?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:28 am

We also haven't recruited then to be a team. Obviously 90% of them will fail, it's about whether we can get one or two who can contribute to the first team squad, which would be nice and, being generous to Brocky the second time it's happened other than desperation since...I don't even know. Joey O'Brian? Probably a case Rob Holding would've made it anyway...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:28 am

It’s worth bearing in mind that in addition to this team having been hastily cobbled together, it’s also a bunch of under 20s (plus Tutte) playing vs mens sides.

Think about how relatively badly the Premier League U23s do vs lower league teams in the pizza cup - and they’re the best youngsters in the country.