League One, 2022/23

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: League One, 2022/23

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:05 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:52 pm
I've just noticed Ipswich Town captain Sam Morsy was arguing with his own supporters at full-time last night.

They haven't won very many recently either.
One of the huge advantages we have this season is that the fans are not sat there demanding promotion. It's obviously what we all crave, but there's not a lot of toxicity at the minute (none after two 5-0s, but even generally).

Pressure is a killer, especially for lads playing at this level who are often very talented but short on mentality.

Here's to the Ipswich fans turning very sour very quickly. It'll be the same at Hillsborough if they lose a few. Both sets of fans have been an absolute nightmare to play in front of in the past.

We're still mostly happy to exist and see ourselves as on the up, rather than stagnating. I'll take any small edge we can get at this stage.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:09 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:05 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:52 pm
I've just noticed Ipswich Town captain Sam Morsy was arguing with his own supporters at full-time last night.

They haven't won very many recently either.
One of the huge advantages we have this season is that the fans are not sat there demanding promotion. It's obviously what we all crave, but there's not a lot of toxicity at the minute (none after two 5-0s, but even generally).

Pressure is a killer, especially for lads playing at this level who are often very talented but short on mentality.

Here's to the Ipswich fans turning very sour very quickly. It'll be the same at Hillsborough if they lose a few. Both sets of fans have been an absolute nightmare to play in front of in the past.

We're still mostly happy to exist and see ourselves as on the up, rather than stagnating. I'll take any small edge we can get at this stage.
1 win in 7 I believe - Against Lowly Morecambe

We've got them on the 11th March
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:59 pm

QPR are apparently speaking with Gareth Ainsworth regarding their vacant manager position. Wish they'd started these talks a few days ago, but it would be a significant blow for a promotion rival in Wycombe if he did leave.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:29 am

Ainsworth now looking very likely to join QPR. A positive development for us, I’d say.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:51 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:29 am
Ainsworth now looking very likely to join QPR. A positive development for us, I’d say.
Shame it didn't happen last week.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:12 pm

They've gone from wanting to appoint Evatt, through two other managers and to Ainsworth.

You have to wonder if they know what they want.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:51 pm

Ainsworth appointment confirmed by QPR.

Ghost - see also Leeds. Plenty of it about.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:28 pm

Ainsworth leaving Wycombe is very good for us. He’s an outstanding manager.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:30 pm

Bloomfield in at Wycombe, their longest serving player including 10 years under Ainsworth. Suppose it gives continuity but it's a bit like giving the job to Nolan or Jussi after Big Sam left.

Just realised he was assistant there. Very much a Sammy Lee appointment then.
Last edited by jmjhb on Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:51 pm

Or Everton with Dyche.

There's no point trying to revolutionise your club's footballing image with a sub-par coach. Ainsworth and Dyche are better coaches than the people they've replaced.

Leeds look like they're trying to limp through to the 49ers takeover and are just hoping they stay up to maximise the sale value.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:50 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:30 pm
Bloomfield in at Wycombe, their longest serving player including 10 under Ainsworth. Suppose it gives continuity but it's a bit like giving the job to Nolan or Jussi after Big Sam left.

Just realised he was assistant there. Very much a Sammy Lee appointment then.
The just need to badge it as " that was our succession plan" what could possibly go wrong!

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:57 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:48 pm

Or Everton with Dyche.

There's no point trying to revolutionise your club's footballing image with a sub-par coach. Ainsworth and Dyche are better coaches than the people they've replaced.

Leeds look like they're trying to limp through to the 49ers takeover and are just hoping they stay up to maximise the sale value.
Hmm, I rate Critchley very highly but don't think the QPR job was right for him at all.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:20 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:57 pm
Hmm, I rate Critchley very highly but don't think the QPR job was right for him at all.
Yeah, that's fair. I think Critchley is limited, but he's a good sort and hopefully he proves me wrong.

I also don't think Ainsworth is "outstanding", but again he's a decent bloke and I hope he does well.

I think Ainsworth would probably do better walking into most situations than Critch would and he may do alright with that QPR squad. Ainsworth loves Dykes, if that sentence isn't too provocative.

I don't think either of them is a Prem manager in the making, but we'll fine out if I'm wrong.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:36 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:20 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:57 pm
Yeah, that's fair. I think Critchley is limited, but he's a good sort and hopefully he proves me wrong.

I also don't think Ainsworth is "outstanding", but again he's a decent bloke and I hope he does well.

I think Ainsworth would probably do better walking into most situations than Critch would and he may do alright with that QPR squad. Ainsworth loves Dykes, if that sentence isn't too provocative.

I don't think either of them is a Prem manager in the making, but we'll fine out if I'm wrong.
I don’t think he’d make a premiership manager either but I think he’s one of the best at this level. The job he’s done with Wycombe has been outstanding. I’d have him here should we ever need a manager any day.

But he’s not the right image for a premiership club and that’s just the way it goes. His only hope is promoting someone there and he’s sort of got that chance now.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:18 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:48 pm

Or Everton with Dyche.
Aye - although not so much that per se as Everton's total scattergun approach to manager hires under Moshiri. Koeman to Allardyce to Silva to Ancelotti to Benitez to Lampard to Dyche - the only replacement in any way similar was Benitez when Ancelotti flitted, and even that was ill-advised and ill-fated.

Lots of clubs do it, and England used to do it too - replacing Hoddle (icy) with Keegan (passionate, English) with Eriksson (foreign, icy) with McClaren (English, chummy) with Capello (foreign, sgt-major) etc and so on. It always screams of a lack of planning.

On Ainsworth - he has done very well on limited resources. He'll have to do so again now in a tougher league. That's what managers do. I wish him no real ill will but I'm glad he's gone. Let's just hope there's more drop-off than Plymouth experienced when losing a manager upwards a division...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:54 pm

His Wycombe side got away with a lot less of the dirty stuff in the Championship and they struggled to cope. He'll have a higher quality of player at QPR, but it's about whether he can adapt to use them. Does he need the leg-breaking tackles, blatant fouls in the box and general shithousery to overcome tactical failings, or did he just use those things to make up for a lack of quality? I don't know the answer to that. He knows his football and he's done a phenomenal job at Wycombe, so we'll see how it goes. What he certainly has going for him is understanding how to stop other teams doing what they want to do.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:22 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:54 pm
His Wycombe side got away with a lot less of the dirty stuff in the Championship and they struggled to cope. He'll have a higher quality of player at QPR, but it's about whether he can adapt to use them. Does he need the leg-breaking tackles, blatant fouls in the box and general shithousery to overcome tactical failings, or did he just use those things to make up for a lack of quality? I don't know the answer to that. He knows his football and he's done a phenomenal job at Wycombe, so we'll see how it goes. What he certainly has going for him is understanding how to stop other teams doing what they want to do.
There's a couple of bits there that reflect some comments on the match day thread, is there actually some notable history of broken legs dished our by Wycome under his management? (don't actually know).

As to the other bit, blatant fouls in the box, you expect to have a higher incidence of penalties than other teams, not sure about that either? If I look at our two penalty shouts, bottom line is they weren't blatant enough to convince the ref, so that's "risk/reward" most defenders tug/pull in the box...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:34 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:54 pm
The most important by a long way quality in a manager is their man management abilities. I reckon Ainsworth had those in spades.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:22 pm
There's a couple of bits there that reflect some comments on the match day thread, is there actually some notable history of broken legs dished our by Wycome under his management? (don't actually know).

As to the other bit, blatant fouls in the box, you expect to have a higher incidence of penalties than other teams, not sure about that either? If I look at our two penalty shouts, bottom line is they weren't blatant enough to convince the ref, so that's "risk/reward" most defenders tug/pull in the box...
Dunno, but Ainsworth said after the game where Blackburn destroyed them (Wycombe gave away a pen and a got a red) that they would need to "adapt" things. They still got 4 reds that season playing "clean" football. By contrast they've had one red playing their normal game this season in League One. They've conceded 2 pens this season, it was 5 in their Championship season whilst trying to do things differently.

They toned down that side of things, still got penalised for stuff they get away with at this level and were relegated. So the question isn't really whether they give away more pens, because we know they don't in League One - the point made by many managers at this level is that they get away with it. The question is can Ainsworth win when his lads aren't making those fouls to prevent goals. Evatt and others feel his sides need that to compete.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:19 pm

Well yeah, but getting away with it is part of the risk/reward...If they do it and they get promoted, they won't give a shiny shite :-)