League One, 2022/23

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Re: League One, 2022/23

Post by jmjhb » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:14 pm

3 home games in a week is, honestly, fantastic

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:15 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:14 pm
Only if we win them.

Win those three and I think we’ve got enough. But winning three back to back is a big ask.

Haven’t won a home game for a while. Good time to start.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:17 pm

2 wins out of those 3 would probably be enough

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:46 pm

jmjhb wrote:
My overdraft is putting its jacket on
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:23 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:46 pm
jmjhb wrote:
My overdraft is putting its jacket on
Turn the heating off for 2 hours. Sorted!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:23 pm

The what?!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:08 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:50 pm
Would be good to win the game in hand. :-) That'd make a bit of a cushion...
Two full rounds of games first (Tue/Sat). Then Tuesday week (25th) is the leveller: we host Accy,
Plymouth host Bristol Rovers, and Barnsley - who are only 3pts and two goals behind South Yorkshire rivals Sheff Wednesday - host… Ipswich.
Tuesdays fixtures are intriguing
Like today, Other than Ipswich, all of the top 9 teams are away- and by definition all are at teams below them - several with lots to play for.
Could possibly be some turn-ups on Tuesday - Like today at Burton Cambridge, Bristol,
Just hoping Burton are not one of them this time round
We have a dreadful record there - hope we can do better this time
What goes around may still come around

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:09 pm

We need to be strong at Burton, will doubtless be a shite pitch and they will just try to kick us off the park. Them and Morecambe are the most anti football teams in this league by a mile.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:51 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:23 pm
The what?!
:lol:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:54 pm

bw@bw wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:12 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Two full rounds of games first (Tue/Sat). Then Tuesday week (25th) is the leveller: we host Accy,
Plymouth host Bristol Rovers, and Barnsley - who are only 3pts and two goals behind South Yorkshire rivals Sheff Wednesday - host… Ipswich.
Like today, Other than Ipswich, all of the top 9 teams are away- and by definition all are at teams below them - several with lots to play for.
Could possibly be some turn-ups on Tuesday - Like today at Burton Cambridge, Bristol,
The strange thing is, folk will argue that our competitors have easy games against teams below them, except us, who have a really tricky game....they all need winning. :-)

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:18 am

I'll eat my hat if 7 points from our remaining 5 games is not enough to secure a play off place. That would give us 78 points, Derby would have to win all 4 of their games to get to 81 #notgonnaappen
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:52 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:54 pm
bw@bw wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:12 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
The strange thing is, folk will argue that our competitors have easy games against teams below them, except us, who have a really tricky game....they all need winning. :-)
I’d say Tuesday we’ve got the toughest game of the three in some ways. A bogey ground for us. Never won there. Burton’s last two home games they’ve beaten Sheffield Wednesday and Barnsley. And they have the sort of play for set pieces - put it in the box style that we traditionally struggle with let alone with a makeshift back three that lacks height across the team.

Derby have a toughie at Exeter who are playing well if not getting the rewards - struggling for goals.

Peterborough have Accrington who must surely be dispirited after losing to Fleetwood in what looked a must win for them. But still if Accy score first it becomes a grind.

I’d be delighted with a point at Burton to take into the three home games which I suspect will be the make or break run.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:00 pm

I think looking at the match threads, our toughest fixture is always the next one..the case is usually made around us not going to win it unless Evatt does x or y...

It wouldn't be a huge surprise if we lost on the run in...plenty around us also doing that, we're still not really at "must win" yet, although I'm fairly sure by Feb, some had us down for must wins and hopefully we never quite need to get there. :-)

Whilst it's exciting, if we get to Play Offs, I'm not thinking we're favourites against any of them over two legs. But you never know (Not sure how many would've picked Sunderland from final 4 last season, know I certainly didn't)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:47 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:00 pm
I think looking at the match threads, our toughest fixture is always the next one..the case is usually made around us not going to win it unless Evatt does x or y...

It wouldn't be a huge surprise if we lost on the run in...plenty around us also doing that, we're still not really at "must win" yet, although I'm fairly sure by Feb, some had us down for must wins and hopefully we never quite need to get there. :-)

Whilst it's exciting, if we get to Play Offs, I'm not thinking we're favourites against any of them over two legs. But you never know (Not sure how many would've picked Sunderland from final 4 last season, know I certainly didn't)
I did pick Sunderland out…..;)

The thing for me is. Get there and win a ticket. I think most think we are a bit short against whoever finished third and fourth and should we get there we are in a decent psychological position of having nothing to lose.

It would be a shame if injuries stopped us from getting there or took away any realistic chance in them.

But getting in would I think represent a decent season and the cup win tips it into very good territory.

We then have the template we need to push on from next season.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:47 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

The thing for me is. Get there and win a ticket. I think most think we are a bit short against whoever finished third and fourth and should we get there we are in a decent psychological position of having nothing to lose.

It would be a shame if injuries stopped us from getting there or took away any realistic chance in them.

But getting in would I think represent a decent season and the cup win tips it into very good territory.

Doesn't count if it's the evening of the game 😂

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:41 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:47 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Doesn't count if it's the evening of the game 😂
It was before the play offs had started! Just fancied them.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:29 pm

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 19.52.24.png
Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 19.52.24.png (62.24 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Fascinating little side-stories in the remaining fixtures for the play-off chasers.

Posh have to host East Anglian rivals Ipswich - themselves locked in an endlessly revolving game of musical chairs for automatic promotion - and finish at Barnsley, although from our POV it's possible by then that the Tykes will be mathematically certain to finish 4th and will rest/rotate players, or at least have less to play for.

In between those games, Posh host Bristol Rovers - who then finish their season by hosting us.

The Pirates aren't the only ones playing multiple contenders. This Saturday, Accrington trek to Portsmouth (led by their old boy Colby Bishop) before coming back to God's country to visit us.

Speaking of Pompey - seven points and a dozen goals behind, their hopes are merely mathematical, but they too can have a big say. Even beating Accy this Saturday won't be enough if two of us, Posh and Derby win – but Pompey then travel to Derby, and finish the season at Wycombe.

As for Derby themselves, this weekend they host niggly old Burton – the much-patronised local rivals (11 miles away, not unlike us from United) who would thus take bags of pleasure from pricking their neighbours' pomposity. And after also hosting Pompey, Derby then finish the season at... Sheffield Wednesday.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 pm

I think 6 or 7 points has a decent chance (not guaranteed but nothing is) of being sufficient. If Peterborough beat Ipswich then I guess that might be a bit low but still.

Win the three home games and I think we can go to Bristol Rovers and experiment a bit. We can but dream….

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:34 pm

Wycombe finish with 3 home games too. It's certainly plausible that they could get maximum return on those and finish the season on 77 points, meaning us and Derby would need 2 more wins to finish ahead of them.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:36 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:34 pm
Wycombe finish with 3 home games too. It's certainly plausible that they could get maximum return on those and finish the season on 77 points, meaning us and Derby would need 2 more wins to finish ahead of them.
No they don’t. Their last game is away to Portsmouth.

It’s us Derby and Peterborough. Don’t think anyone else has a chance now.