Opening day Blues or all White on the night? Ipswich (A) Saturday 30th July. 3pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Opening day Blues or all White on the night? Ipswich (A) Saturday 30th July. 3pm KO

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:34 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:04 am
Early days, away at Ipswich. Work to do but that was the 30th July, let’s see where we are at the end of August.

Out of all the midfielders I’m most concerned with Dempsey - we spent a long time chasing him for him to be constantly injured or poorly disciplined. Any news on what supposedly kept him out?
Scrapping in Carlisle whilst pissed, presumably. :?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Opening day Blues or all White on the night? Ipswich (A) Saturday 30th July. 3pm KO

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:03 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:34 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Early days, away at Ipswich. Work to do but that was the 30th July, let’s see where we are at the end of August.

Out of all the midfielders I’m most concerned with Dempsey - we spent a long time chasing him for him to be constantly injured or poorly disciplined. Any news on what supposedly kept him out?
You think it might have been an internal disciplinary rather than the suggested "slight knock?" or are you suggesting he got injured in the beer battle? :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:54 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:03 am
The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:34 am
officer_dibble wrote:

You think it might have been an internal disciplinary rather than the suggested "slight knock?" or are you suggesting he got injured in the beer battle? :-)
He played in the subsequent friendly v Huddersfield (and helped us probe for the equaliser)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:49 pm

I was expecting us to get pumped in this, so delighted to come away with a point

Something to build on for Saturday. Wycombe looked very strong in their opener, but I do fancy us
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:50 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:37 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:27 am
Many thanks for that. Although much of it hadn't really occurred to me (hence the question) I found myself nodding in agreement as I read through it. Are we to take it that it's something of a message to the board also (although I'm not aware of them not backing him at any point)? Or maybe management of expectations?
There is a long form interview with Evatt on the Radio Manchester The Wanderer podcast. It’s really very very good and I’d recommend it.

He talks at length about a number of topics and I’d suggest it’s more useful than trying to read between quotes or internet whispers.

To me if just sounds like a manager who has awoken to the reality of the league they are in and also learned to tone it down a bit. We had a manager for years in Allardyce trying to make the noises that he wasn’t supported in the market or unable to match ambitions and Evatt sounds in entirely the opposite camp. He very explicitly states that no club could pull him away from here as he has everything he needs and full autonomy.

He also conceded that this summer is the first time he’s missed out on ‘a couple of targets’ and goes into detail about Fossey who presumably was one of those two and essentially says he wanted championship football before saying his injuries complicate anything.

The podcast is worth a listen. I don’t think Evatt suddenly doesn’t believe. I just think he’s had the realisation that this league is not straightforward. Indeed he talks about back to back promotions from league two into the championship being virtually impossible given the nature of clubs coming down from championship now. He makes the point that January was all about this season and getting things in place then and being settled was critical to him.
Started listening to this during this morning's commute. Some of the quotes have already been surfaced and it's hardly the toughest of interviews - some of the questions go on for nearly a minute while the questioner tells Evatt how wonderful he is - but it's worth a listen, unless you're allergic to Evatt's manner (in which case you might turn off after literally 30 seconds with the introductory "This country, honestly" quote).

One thing I've not seen reported is Evatt's confirmation that some (I think he may even say "several") squad members came here despite more lucrative offers elsewhere. Might help explain Barky, Tucker, Butcher - indeed this summer's general "disappointment". Seems to me we are on an awkward cusp of only wanting players who improve the squad (obvious, but that's now harder than it has been for years) but finding ourselves outbid for them. Let's see what the rest of August brings.

Also interesting to hear that Liverpool "came to us" regarding loan players rather than the other way round. As I say, with the nation's top two teams lending us lads, you wonder who else might be eyeing us up as a finishing school. For instance, I think Ten Hag might find us suitable for junior Rags.

The podcast is listenable here and presumably wherever you usually get your podcasts - found mine easily on the iPhone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06rr2 ... /downloads

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:58 am

He makes the point that we don’t want players who are only interested in the money. Which I think is a fair one. I read it as Evatt wants to build a side that believes in the mission of the club rather than one of people here because we paid a little more than their other option.

I think he’s right. We aren’t going to compete on finances in the championship. So let’s compete on other stuff.

There is more than a hint of Allardyce in his view on caring for players beyond football.

I don’t like Evatt’s nonsense quotes but feel he’s striking a much better balance now with how he handles it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:58 am
He makes the point that we don’t want players who are only interested in the money. Which I think is a fair one. I read it as Evatt wants to build a side that believes in the mission of the club rather than one of people here because we paid a little more than their other option.

I think he’s right. We aren’t going to compete on finances in the championship. So let’s compete on other stuff.

There is more than a hint of Allardyce in his view on caring for players beyond football.

I don’t like Evatt’s nonsense quotes but feel he’s striking a much better balance now with how he handles it.
For clarity, I fully agree that we shouldn't be hiring players by paying more. As you say, that wouldn't work in the division above, so there's not a fat lot of point in starting it now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:14 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:50 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:37 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:27 am
Many thanks for that. Although much of it hadn't really occurred to me (hence the question) I found myself nodding in agreement as I read through it. Are we to take it that it's something of a message to the board also (although I'm not aware of them not backing him at any point)? Or maybe management of expectations?
There is a long form interview with Evatt on the Radio Manchester The Wanderer podcast. It’s really very very good and I’d recommend it.

He talks at length about a number of topics and I’d suggest it’s more useful than trying to read between quotes or internet whispers.

To me if just sounds like a manager who has awoken to the reality of the league they are in and also learned to tone it down a bit. We had a manager for years in Allardyce trying to make the noises that he wasn’t supported in the market or unable to match ambitions and Evatt sounds in entirely the opposite camp. He very explicitly states that no club could pull him away from here as he has everything he needs and full autonomy.

He also conceded that this summer is the first time he’s missed out on ‘a couple of targets’ and goes into detail about Fossey who presumably was one of those two and essentially says he wanted championship football before saying his injuries complicate anything.

The podcast is worth a listen. I don’t think Evatt suddenly doesn’t believe. I just think he’s had the realisation that this league is not straightforward. Indeed he talks about back to back promotions from league two into the championship being virtually impossible given the nature of clubs coming down from championship now. He makes the point that January was all about this season and getting things in place then and being settled was critical to him.
Started listening to this during this morning's commute. Some of the quotes have already been surfaced and it's hardly the toughest of interviews - some of the questions go on for nearly a minute while the questioner tells Evatt how wonderful he is - but it's worth a listen, unless you're allergic to Evatt's manner (in which case you might turn off after literally 30 seconds with the introductory "This country, honestly" quote).

One thing I've not seen reported is Evatt's confirmation that some (I think he may even say "several") squad members came here despite more lucrative offers elsewhere. Might help explain Barky, Tucker, Butcher - indeed this summer's general "disappointment". Seems to me we are on an awkward cusp of only wanting players who improve the squad (obvious, but that's now harder than it has been for years) but finding ourselves outbid for them. Let's see what the rest of August brings.

Also interesting to hear that Liverpool "came to us" regarding loan players rather than the other way round. As I say, with the nation's top two teams lending us lads, you wonder who else might be eyeing us up as a finishing school. For instance, I think Ten Hag might find us suitable for junior Rags.

The podcast is listenable here and presumably wherever you usually get your podcasts - found mine easily on the iPhone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06rr2 ... /downloads
Ten Hag can keep his fcuking rags for my money...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:14 pm
I’ll have whoever’s best for us. I’d take another Willie Morgan or Tony Dunne. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:41 pm

Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:06 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
I’ll have whoever’s best for us. I’d take another Willie Morgan or Tony Dunne. :D
I console myself on permanent signings, that they've seen the light and repented. Loans is much more difficult! :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:41 pm
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:06 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
I console myself on permanent signings, that they've seen the light and repented. Loans is much more difficult! :-)
Where on earth do you stand on Ben Amos then? 🤔
May the bridges I burn light your way