Opening day Blues or all White on the night? Ipswich (A) Saturday 30th July. 3pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Opening day Blues or all White on the night? Ipswich (A) Saturday 30th July. 3pm KO

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:02 pm

In the grand scheme of things, and maybe despite the performance, a solid point away at a tough ground against a strong team. Certainly not to be sniffed at. Will definitely need to be much better against Wycombe who just smashed Burton 3-0.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Opening day Blues or all White on the night? Ipswich (A) Saturday 30th July. 3pm KO

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:03 pm

I haven't seen a minute of it so I can't comment on what sounds like a poor performance, but I'd have taken the result before kick-off.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:03 pm

"A draw. It's not a win but it's not a loss either."

Where would be be without the commentary team.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:03 pm

We can pick apart what wasn’t a great performance but the result is very good. I wouldn’t want to see us play this way too many times but a point at Ipswich is very decent and our nearly 100 point and 100 goal title winning side also started with a 1-1 away draw.

Need to see improvement no doubt but better saying that with a point on the board than none.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:04 pm

Take a point there!

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:15 pm

We fought hard for this point. A well earned one against an excellent Ipswich side who played some wonderful football. We stayed in the game which is a good sign. We didn't play badly. We were away from home against a very good team and never dropped our heads. A decent start and by the way, unlike others, I thought the Ref had a good game.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:18 pm

Worth noting that two promoted sides won and Cambridge beat MK Dons.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:25 pm

Calmed down now. The draw is a decent result and said so before kick off.

It's the switch that flicked when we took the lead. We bossed the game until we scored then all of a sudden defended for 70 odd minutes.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:27 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:18 pm
Worth noting that two promoted sides won and Cambridge beat MK Dons.
Two promoted sides played each other, the other beat Fleetwood at home..Not sure I'd read much into that atm..

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:28 pm

We're also unbeaten in July in the league. Worth noting.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:33 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:28 pm
Wonder who'll get Manager of the Month?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:34 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:55 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:54 pm
I think a report will be going in against this ref. Again there with Jones. How is that a free kick to anyone?
Is he Barry Knight level of inept?
Mike Riley level of fair-play...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:52 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:25 pm
Calmed down now. The draw is a decent result and said so before kick off.

It's the switch that flicked when we took the lead. We bossed the game until we scored then all of a sudden defended for 70 odd minutes.
Equally, going behind sparked a very decent side into action, with a home crowd and possibly a few decisions behind them... :D

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:33 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:28 pm
Wonder who'll get Manager of the Month?
:lol:

Surely Gareth Ainsworth? Then he can be cursed at our place.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:57 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:56 pm
Declan John, if you lose it, get it back you lazy feck
I feel like he’s still not the player we got when he first signed. Seems slower, more hesitant.
He's quick enough going the other way the lazy f*cking c*nt.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:01 pm

Only watched a bit of it, but we did seem fortunate to take a point.

Trafford produced some excellent saves, but also some worrying moments. I think he may well be the best shot stopper in the division, but he’s not yet Ederson with his feet.

Bradley looks a player and I think will be a huge asset for us this season. Maybe might need to adjust to the physicality of the division, but quick and classy on the ball.

Dion and Dapo is a good combo and will be a nightmare for the poorer teams in the league.

John is a bit boom or bust. Moments of brilliance going forward, inter dispersed with sloppiness and soft defending.

MJ’s lack of mobility costs us when teams are breaking on us.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:30 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:01 pm

Trafford produced some excellent saves, but also some worrying moments. I think he may well be the best shot stopper in the division, but he’s not yet Ederson with his feet.

Bradley looks a player and I think will be a huge asset for us this season. Maybe might need to adjust to the physicality of the division, but quick and classy on the ball.

Dion and Dapo is a good combo and will be a nightmare for the poorer teams in the league.

John is a bit boom or bust. Moments of brilliance going forward, inter dispersed with sloppiness and soft defending.

Dion and Dapo could be a decent pair but as yet for me haven’t shown it. In the friendly and today I thought they were not great tbh.

Thought MJ was excellent today. Lee had one of the poorest games I’ve seen him have.

Bradley looks a good player but I’m not completely convinced he’s what we need this season. Time will tell.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:03 pm

Dion showed a little more in the 2nd Half but we need a lot more from him to keep DadBod and Baka out of the starting line up. Lee, MJ and Morley were excellent in the 1st half, but all 3 completely ran out of steam in the 2nd half. Declan must stop looking to play the ball backwards as his first option. Trafford's distribution was worrying. Santos, Jones and Johnston stood up manfully to the onslaught in the 2nd. They deserve a lot of credit. Dapo never really got going. Connor looks a player. He had Davis on toast in the 1st half but when Leigh came on for them on the left, he had less joy against a big strong attacking player. He will learn. Again happy that we went home with a point.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:30 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:01 pm

Dion and Dapo could be a decent pair but as yet for me haven’t shown it. In the friendly and today I thought they were not great tbh.

Thought MJ was excellent today. Lee had one of the poorest games I’ve seen him have.

Bradley looks a good player but I’m not completely convinced he’s what we need this season. Time will tell.
Larry_David_shocked.gif
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:23 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:03 pm
Dion showed a little more in the 2nd Half but we need a lot more from him to keep DadBod and Baka out of the starting line up. Lee, MJ and Morley were excellent in the 1st half, but all 3 completely ran out of steam in the 2nd half. Declan must stop looking to play the ball backwards as his first option. Trafford's distribution was worrying. Santos, Jones and Johnston stood up manfully to the onslaught in the 2nd. They deserve a lot of credit. Dapo never really got going. Connor looks a player. He had Davis on toast in the 1st half but when Leigh came on for them on the left, he had less joy against a big strong attacking player. He will learn. Again happy that we went home with a point.
All the criticism in this post could have been posted about a number of our performances in the tail end of last season.

Charles running a lot but not quite doing it, Dapo not quite turning it on, Trafford's distribution being worse than a Hermes driver, etc.

Another cheap goal against. Again struggling to create chances against a good side. Getting overrun in midfield once they found their feet.

Not really a surprise given that only one starter wasn't here last season.