Wycombe to bury you, not praise you. Wycombe (h) Sat 6 Aug @3pm.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Wycombe to bury you, not praise you. Wycombe (h) Sat 6 Aug @3pm.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:40 pm

After the patient pass-masters, the absentee long-ballers.

MK Dons excepted, Ipswich were last season's passiest third-tier team, averaging the second-highest number of passes per sequence (we were third) and the second-lowest direct speed of attack (we were third-lowest).

Having weathered that particular type of storm, this weekend the one and only Wanderers welcome Wycombe, a very different type of opponent. Last season they averaged the fastest attack speed (almost twice ours) and the lowest number of passes per sequence.
Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 17.09.10.png
Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 17.09.10.png (324.13 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
These guys don't hang around and ball-hog. They get it – not very often: almost always one of the lowest possession rates - and they get it forward. And it works. Last week they won 3-0 at home against Burton, who as we found out last season are hardly Cruyffian. Burton had 57% possession. They also had a 3-0 deficit before 3.30pm.

It wasn't a one-off. Here's some more stats from last season, showing the areas where teams had more than 55% possession (blue) and less than 45% (red). First, Bolton and Ipswich:
BW IT possession.jpg
BW IT possession.jpg (47.61 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
Then, Burton and Wycombe:
BAWW.png
BAWW.png (46.75 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
They are going to let us have the ball, and when they get it, they're not going to fanny around. So what do we do?

Evatt said openly in the pre-match press conference what many had already surmised: that with a stronger squad at his disposal, he was more likely to go horses-for-courses.
Every game offers something completely different and we are fortunate enough at the moment to have different players with different attributes to deal with different teams. That will be the case moving forwards. Wycombe provide a completely different challenge to what Ipswich did so that team will most likely be different....

We do due diligence on every opposition and understand their strengths and weaknesses and try and pick a team to combat that. Wycombe provide a completely different test to Ipswich as I’ve said, so we need a certain type of player to be able to deal with that. We’ve got flexibility and fluidity within the system, but within our philosophy that will always remain the same, but there’s small tweaks and changes that we can make to be able to deal with Wycombe’s strengths and weaknesses.
Wycombe's strengths are literal - height and aerial power - plus experience in bucketloads: theirs was easily the oldest average XI last season. As I've said in a previous post, they've lost some experience - bumptious bit-parter Bayo Akinfenwa, knowledgeable centre-back Anthony Stewart, goalkeeper David Stockdale.

The latter, who kept more clean sheets than lost last season, is arguably the biggest miss: Wycombe have yet to replace him, and with Man United apparently dragging their feet on loaning them Nathan Bishop, they gave 21-year-old Tyla (yes, Tyla) Dickinson his debut last time. Their only other option is Josh Blunkell, signed in summer from eight-tier AFC Sudbury. Let's hope United keep them hanging on a while yet.

They still have plenty of nous: left-back Joe Jacobson is one of the division's set-piece experts, Sam Vokes still a muscular threat up top. They also have plenty experience of beating us: four games played, four games won, all to nil. I suspect we are a better team than we were for last season's games, but the question is who exactly gets in the team.

Although no slouch on the ball, Jack Iredale has presumably been brought in to negate precisely this kind of opponent and could well replace George Johnston, who was heavily involved in possession at Ipswich but remains a potential liability at set-pieces – Wycombe's strength and our Achilles heel. With more possession expected, Evatt might also drop Dapo to 10 and bring in Bodvarsson - another big lad for defending set pieces. Making way could be Lee or even MJ Williams, although that would be a six-footer sacrificed.

It will be interesting – and hopefully thrilling - to see how Conor Bradley fares in a game when we will have majority possession. There's an outside chance Evatt will gamble on replacing him with Sadlier, although with five subs available it might be an early show of the hand. But such things are now possible. Unlike at Ipswich, we have to show we can change games for the better. Unlike at Ipswich, we have to show we can avoid set-piece concessions. Unlike at any point in history, we have to prove we can breach and beat Wycombe. To not do so would be distinctly underwhelming; but a win should be celebrated not as some divine right, but as a statement that we can take on and beat physical teams. It's a big game. Is Evatt the hunter, or will the knives be out for him?

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Wycombe to bury you, not praise you. Wycombe (h) Sat 6 Aug @3pm.

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:21 pm

You write some great stuff on here, enjoyed reading that, thanks.

For me Johnson was one of only a few players to play well last week I wouldn't be dropping him.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:31 pm

I’m sure one of Iredale and Aimson will come into that back 3. And it won’t be for Santos.

Would like to see Sadlier get some game time but I think he will start on the bench. Not an opponent you want to fall behind to - need to score first!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:44 pm

I’d bring in Iredale and Bod for Johnston and Dapo respectively. Sadlier for Bradley too for me because I think what we do with the ball will be critical. Evatt probably unlikely to do the later but the first two I’m expecting.

An excellent post DSB. In the podcast Evatt did recently he did actually talk about Dapo and the number 10 role and explained his 360 awareness isn’t quite what you need for that position. He may well play him there as obviously he’s an option. But I feel he prefers him up front. I suspect he’s a first sub for this one.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:46 pm

Think Bod will be in. Tend to agree more likely for Daps then Lee.

I can see the Iredale for Johnstone. It makes sense. But I'm going rogue and saying it will be for John. Firstly John's pathetic performance on sat can't have gone unnoticed. Plus Johnstone v John gives more height.

But also our plan seemed very much to be paid through Johnstone. *Everything* on Saturday from Trafford did, and that came from us not Ipswich. And he played well. I think he's more ink then pencil currently. Not enough that I'd be aghast if he'd out, like.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:38 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:46 pm
Think Bod will be in. Tend to agree more likely for Daps then Lee.

I can see the Iredale for Johnstone. It makes sense. But I'm going rogue and saying it will be for John. Firstly John's pathetic performance on sat can't have gone unnoticed. Plus Johnstone v John gives more height.

But also our plan seemed very much to be paid through Johnstone. *Everything* on Saturday from Trafford did, and that came from us not Ipswich. And he played well. I think he's more ink then pencil currently. Not enough that I'd be aghast if he'd out, like.
That’s a good point. Wouldn’t be surprised if he put Iredale in for John. You are right it’s more likely than for Johnston. For me it would be a bit negative for home though.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:06 pm

My turn this time: we'll shit 'em. You're welcome.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:36 pm

tell you what, shoudl be a good turnout at the Unibol too. Tried to buy tickets tonight and getting a few seats together was tougher than I thought it would be.............

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:53 am

Spartan2 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:21 pm
You write some great stuff on here, enjoyed reading that, thanks.

For me Johnson was one of only a few players to play well last week I wouldn't be dropping him.
Thank you.

I thought Johnston did well too, barring that crap late cross. However, he will be identified as a weakness. They will play on him. Deep crosses from Jacobson on the left, Vokes pulls onto him… that’s how they scored the winner at theirs last season, albeit from the other side, with Vokes towering over flat-footed Baptiste.

If we had Iredale and Johnston playing, I’d consider Johnston at LWB. He sees the game well. But it’s not something we’ve planned for. Could also play Sadlier at LWB. But I think he will stick with John.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:29 am

Iredale is listed as either being 184cm (6ft), or 190cm (6ft 3). Does anyone have an idea of which, if either, is accurate?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:33 am

A good crowd + difficult opponents usually = poor performance & defeat. C'mon lads, surprise me!

2-0 win to the one & onlys.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:51 am

End of the day if they have a young lad whose just made his debut in nets we should be working out how best to score - couple of early goals and it’s a much easier proposition. Shoot from distance and work the angles to create decent chances.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:05 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:51 am
End of the day if they have a young lad whose just made his debut in nets we should be working out how best to score - couple of early goals and it’s a much easier proposition. Shoot from distance and work the angles to create decent chances.
Well, the classic thing to do would be to drop balls right on top of him and bully him. But Wycombe are probably the league's best team at defending that avenue of attack, and we're probably one of the worst at executing it. If Burton couldn't do that, we won't be able to.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:09 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:33 am
A good crowd + difficult opponents usually = poor performance & defeat. C'mon lads, surprise me!
Fully agree, although I also thought the same when we played Sunderland last season.....

It'll be reet!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:30 am

I really hope we send a cross or two in that doesn't encourage the keeper to come for it. We need to attack from further out occasionally Far better chance at times going in on a ball with force than the jump and hope on the spot method. Take a lesson from Dennis Law and Jergen Klinsman lads and jump early, it pay off rather then being bullied by defenders. Vary it too, and bang a few in low and hard. Anything is better than predictable efforts that don't beat the first man. Let's get back to being the One and Only Wanderers. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:12 am

We’ve played Wycombe four times in our history. And lost four times.

Surely we must change this on Saturday? I wouldn’t be shocked if it was a draw. But hope we can break the shackles and score first and then go on and win.

The key as ever will be coping with their direct physical game and DEALING WITH SET PIECES. They are the sort of side that you can’t let them score from a corner as once they do they are hard to break down and are very happy camping in and breaking on you winning the odd set piece and of course knowing you have a weakness there.

I think Saturday will tell us a lot about how this season will go and how Evatt can prepare a side for these sorts of tests. I’m positive we can get a result.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:18 am

I feel quietly confident about this one. Wycombe will be in the play-off mix come the end of the season, in my opinion and I think we have the tools to cope better than we did last season

I can see Jones and John both being replaced by Iredale and either Toal, or Aimson to give us a bit more height / strength in defence
Bradley will keep his spot I reckon, for his energy and I think Dempsey will come back in

Line-up in my opinion:-

------------------.....Trafford
Bradley.. Aimson.. Santos.. Johnson.. Iredale
...........................Williams
-----------------Dempsey....... Lee
..............Bodvarsson.... Charles
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:12 am
We’ve played Wycombe four times in our history. And lost four times.

Surely we must change this on Saturday? I wouldn’t be shocked if it was a draw. But hope we can break the shackles and score first and then go on and win.

The key as ever will be coping with their direct physical game and DEALING WITH SET PIECES. They are the sort of side that you can’t let them score from a corner as once they do they are hard to break down and are very happy camping in and breaking on you winning the odd set piece and of course knowing you have a weakness there.

I think Saturday will tell us a lot about how this season will go and how Evatt can prepare a side for these sorts of tests. I’m positive we can get a result.
Agree with most of this but want to add a point to the bold.

As with last weekend, there will understandably be a great temptation to over-extrapolate from the result. If we can beat Buggardly Old Wycombe and draw with Ipswich, we're on course for 92 points, right? If we lose to Bloody Wycombe Again and only scrape a draw at Ipswich with a slightly fortunate pengy, we're set for 23 points, right?

Worth remembering that last season we drew both our opening two league games 3-3, but we didn't end up collecting 46 points while scoring and conceding 138 goals. The lessons that can - with hindsight - be drawn from those two games is that our defence was leaky and our attack potent, but none of us could foresee the injury plague, The Sarcevic Thing, or that by spring we'd happily be watching a rotating goalscoring attack of four strikers none of whom were Doyler. "Things change," as the song goes, "but a pattern is present, a formula remains."

If on Saturday we fall prey to the same old weakness - a set-piece concession dictating the destiny of a promotion six-pointer - then I will be anxious. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but neither would it herald the dawn of a new era bursting with crucial clean sheets.

If, on the other hand, we get through it - defending astutely, scoring, beating them - then again I won't be running down the bookies throwing the mortgage money on a runaway title charge. Part of that is hard-earned scepticism about our defending - just because we kept out an ageing Wycombe side once wouldn't mean we were impregnable forever. It will take a wee while for me to get the clean-sheet confidence I had in Parky's first season, because of the evidence of large swathes of Evatt's reign. But all we can ask for is progress.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:56 am

Sure I don’t think it’s any more than an indicator. Wycombe are likely to be top half and stylistically the exact sort of team we struggled against last season. If we win it’s a big sign we can get better.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:56 am
Sure I don’t think it’s any more than an indicator. Wycombe are likely to be top half and stylistically the exact sort of team we struggled against last season. If we win it’s a big sign we can get better.
Aye. As I say, last season we'd have lost against Ipswich. So if we can avoid losing those away six-pointers (like we usually didn't last season, winning 1pt at the top 7) and win the home ones (like we usually didn't last season - W1 D2 L4 at home v top 7) then we'll be on the right course, but with a long way to sail.