‘sal ford a reason: Salford (H, Lge Cup) Tue 9 [email protected]

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Predicted result

Poll ended at Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:29 pm

Bolton by 3+
23%
Bolton by 2
23%
Bolton by 1
31%
Bolton on pengies
No votes
Salford on pengies
No votes
Salford by 1
23%
Salford by 2
No votes
Salford by 3+
No votes

Total votes: 13

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

‘sal ford a reason: Salford (H, Lge Cup) Tue 9 [email protected]

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:29 pm

Wondered about Salford and Port Vale, our next two opponents.

By Opta’s ‘style’ matrix Port Vale were bang average for D4 last season - black and white quartered badge right in the cross-hairs - and Salford were similar: perhaps slightly more passes per sequence and very slightly less direct speed than the average, but nowhere near as intricate as Swindon (bottom right) or as hyper-direct as Sutton (top left).
Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 13.47.20.png
Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 13.47.20.png (310.47 KiB) Viewed 966 times
Vale scored the division’s second-most goals from open play (Salford 13th), from only thee 11th-most shots (Salford 10th). Vale were also shy of building direct attacks (defined as one that starts just inside their half, “has at least 50% of movement towards the opposition's goal and ends in a shot or a touch in the opposition box”) - only Scunny and Barrow had fewer, so long-ball they ain’t. Salford were 8th-lowest in that table. Only three teams had fewer shots than Vale from open play – Salford were, again, 8th in that table – so they were efficient at maximising open-play chances,
salf vale.png
salf vale.png (46.27 KiB) Viewed 966 times
In terms of areas of control, they’re fairly standard too - blue boxes (55%+ possession over the season) in their bit, ceding possession in the other half. Neither team pressed particularly hard - Vale were 8th hardest pressers, Salford 11th - although Vale led the division in total high turnovers, shot ending high turnovers and were joint second for goals from high turnovers, so our defenders better not be too asleep on the ball.

We’ll leave Vale for later in the week. Salford, oh Salford. Their latest manager is Neil Wood, a 39-y-o who was previously Man U’s U23 boss. Last season they finished 10th, having finished 8th the previous season and 11th their debut season, so they are - for all the Class of 92 hullabaloo - bog-standard D4 fodder.

They’re yet to concede a goal this season, beating Mansfield 2-0 - last season’s 13-goal top scorer Brandon Thomas-Asante grabbing the second – despite only having 38% possession and three shots on target. Then they got a 0-0 at Swindon, who were down to 10 men for much of the game after narky blurt Harry McKirdy eared himself a second yellow.

NEVER MIND THEM, WHAT ABOUT US?

But who might we pick? Evatt might be tempted to rotate and we have the deepest squad he’s ever managed, but there are reasons not to suspect mass changes.

Let’s do the easy changes first though, and it’s a 1-2-3 in old money: I’d expect Joel Dixon to play the cup games (unless and until Wembley beckons), Conor Bradley’s young legs might be rested to allow Kieran Sadlier a start at RWB, and Declan John will probably rotate back in at LWB.

In the back three, you could make a case for rotating in each case. Fans would love a first peep of Eoin Toal at RCB, where Gethin might be allowed the night off. In the middle, Santos played through a painful foot injury against Wycombe so Aimson could come in – and leave the passing to the outside centre-backs. At LCB, Iredale could get some more time to bed in, although Johnstone has been so crucial to our attack-forming that he’d have to hit the ground running. I doubt Evatt would make all three changes, but one or two is likely.

In midfield, it’s also not quite as easy as “three in, three out”. If we were rotating you’d expect Thomason and Lee to come in – Sheehan, like Isgrove, was pencilled in for a B game this midweek so I doubt we’ll rush him back for this – but would we use Lee’s allotted minutes for the week in a cup game? Tomo is a likely starter, but would we drop MJ?

What we could see is MJ and Tomo in midfield with Dapo dropping to 10, although he’s been playing well up front. Bod could get a first start alongside Baka - Charles is out, probably until after the weekend Vale game - and Kacha is another option.

There’s a possibility we’ll get one or two B lads on the bench - maybe Connor Stanley, perhaps Adam Senior – but I would consider them more likely to play in the Pizza Trophy (Aug 30, Sep 20, Oct 18).

Bear in mind also that the League Cup allows five subs too (six if the semi/final goes to extra time), and that casts a different complexion on cup games. Previously managers had to make a fine judgement call on how much to rotate/weaken. Now they can have some big hitters on the bench to save the day, they might just be tempted to rotate a bit more.

(Quick couple of other notes: earlier KO time than the previously standard 8pm, threatening Rioja’s chippy tea; straight to pengies with no extra time, except in semis/final).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: ‘sal ford a reason: Salford (H, Lge Cup) Tue 9 [email protected]

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:09 pm

Toal is injured. Came with an injury, still injured at least as of last week.

My predicted team for Tuesday…

Dixon
Sadlier
Jones
Aimson
Iredale
John
MJ
Thomason
Lee
Bod
Kachunga

I think we will go with that. I can’t see him not playing all those who missed out Saturday and are fit.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:17 pm

Is this one of those matches where there's no bastard way of watching it unless you can get to the stadium?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:39 pm

Should be an iFollow link, as it's Football League

Got freebies for this, through the Sky VIP app, which is a nice little bonus!

Expecting a much changed side and absolutely no idea how the game will go.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:00 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:39 pm

Carabao cup games weren't on iFollow last season, so unless that's changed it's a live text job.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:18 pm

Evatt confirms Dion is out for Salford, Vale and Morecambe – back for Sheff Wed a week on Saturday.

v Salford, he will "pick a team that we think is capable of winning the game." That means changes.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... e-24701042

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:09 pm
Toal is injured. Came with an injury, still injured at least as of last week.

My predicted team for Tuesday…

Dixon
Sadlier
Jones
Aimson
Iredale
John
MJ
Thomason
Lee
Bod
Kachunga

I think we will go with that. I can’t see him not playing all those who missed out Saturday and are fit.
I think I'd go for the same predicted lineup, with probably two or three B teamers on the bench mixed in with our usual starters.

The league cup clearly won't be a priority, but it would be nice to put together a run in at least one of the cups, and it would be great to get a match against a big PL team at some point this season. Also we can't be going out to this tinpot outfit.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:33 pm

I think he'll go a bit stronger. Cup runs are good for a manager's profile and all...

My prediction:

Traf
Jones
Aimson
Iredale
Sadlier
Morley/Dempsey
MJ
Thomo
John
Baka
DadBod
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:47 pm

Evatt:
"A good game for us. A tough game, I have watched a fair bit of them over the weekend. Some nice patterns, in-possession team. They have got some good players, they look like they are well coached. So I think it will be a good challenge, a good test.”

“Every game has a different challenge. We have done a lot of work on Salford. We will have a look at what we feel are their strengths and weaknesses and then pick a team accordingly. We have got a fantastic squad of players with very little drop off, so as I said we will look at it and pick a team that we think is capable of winning the game.”

“Football matches are football matches and it doesn’t really matter if it’s a pre-season friendly or a Carabao Cup match or a league match, you want to win every game you play and that’s the competitive edge, that’s why you’re in the game. We’ll have that same attitude and regardless of the team we pick, we feel it will be good enough to win the game.”

"I won’t make 11 changes."

“We’ve known for a few weeks now haven’t we that it’s Salford, so we’ve done a lot of work on Salford. They’re a different outfit this season to what they were when we played them in League Two. They’ve got that in possession style now, the academy style really, and I think it’ll be a good game. I think they’ve got some good players, they’ve always had good players. They spend money accordingly so it’s going to be a good challenge and a tough test but one we’re looking forward to.”

“I think they’ve got a new manager in place, their recruitment has been good, they’ve got good players. We know it’s going to be a tough game. They’re one of the fancied teams in League Two this season so a challenge and a test and everyone wants to come here and play here and raise their game here and play well, so I’m looking forward to the game because I think it’s another opportunity for us to show and implement what we’ve been working on in training. We want to win.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... d-24703255

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:54 pm

Just don't lose.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:13 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:39 pm

unavailable.png
unavailable.png (20.69 KiB) Viewed 883 times
Audio only.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:18 pm

There were streams for Barnsley tie last season - are they all on sky sports? I think we might make one too many changes, hopefully we’ll have enough. Can see a draw / pens again.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:22 pm

Looking forward to this. Shame about Toal missing. I expect Traf to be in goal and Aimson, Sadlier and Thomasson to all start. I expect they'll make one or two changes too and we should, hopefully, have too much for them.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:51 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:18 pm
There were streams for Barnsley tie last season - are they all on sky sports? I think we might make one too many changes, hopefully we’ll have enough. Can see a draw / pens again.

I think was because the match itself was selected for broadcast on overseas television channels. From memory, the camera angles were proper production quality rather than just one fixed camera.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:52 pm

I wonder if we might see the likes of Connor Stanley, Conor Carty, etc.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:13 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:51 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

I think was because the match itself was selected for broadcast on overseas television channels. From memory, the camera angles were proper production quality rather than just one fixed camera.
Good memory, I just remember the pens cos I could only remember us having one at burnden v Norwich and that stupid one at Wembley that was all Holdsworths fault.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:25 pm

We had a Reebok shoot out under Sam I think. Southampton maybe?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:09 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:51 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

Aye, for some reason that match seemed to be on DAZN Germany, but no such luck tonight. It's frustrating to be in this situation in 2022, and I'm sure the club would love to make it available if they could.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:22 am

Expecting a lot of changes for tonight's squad.
Don't expect Toal to be playing at this stage, is he even close to fitness?

I do wonder if the B-team players are eligible for this fixture. Surely they must be.
Might see the return of Senior, Tutte and some of the other stand outs.

Players who haven't started yet must be due a start (JDB, Kacha, Thomason, Aimson, Sadlier, Dixon) whilst I suspect a few that don't pick up injuries as much will keep their place (Johnston, Bradley?). Long term injuries are the ones that'll be interesting to see whether they can feature (Sheehan, Isgrove).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:24 am

Mar wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:22 am
Expecting a lot of changes for tonight's squad.
Don't expect Toal to be playing at this stage, is he even close to fitness?

I do wonder if the B-team players are eligible for this fixture. Surely they must be.
Might see the return of Senior, Tutte and some of the other stand outs.

Players who haven't started yet must be due a start (JDB, Kacha, Thomason, Aimson, Sadlier, Dixon) whilst I suspect a few that don't pick up injuries as much will keep their place (Johnston, Bradley?). Long term injuries are the ones that'll be interesting to see whether they can feature (Sheehan, Isgrove).
Sheehan and Isgrove already ruled out. B team fixture next week I think will be their come back game. And presumably only a half each.