‘sal ford a reason: Salford (H, Lge Cup) Tue 9 [email protected]

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Predicted result

Poll ended at Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:29 pm

Bolton by 3+
23%
Bolton by 2
23%
Bolton by 1
31%
Bolton on pengies
No votes
Salford on pengies
No votes
Salford by 1
23%
Salford by 2
No votes
Salford by 3+
No votes

Total votes: 13

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: ‘sal ford a reason: Salford (H, Lge Cup) Tue 9 [email protected]

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:08 am

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:15 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:07 am
Completely agree HG.
Lad just gets you goals. Reminds me a bit of Nolan or Stelios in the good old days - overall contribution questionable but they didn’t half pitch in with some important goals.

He isn’t a wingback, I’d like to see him on the wing or in a role behind the strikers but we don’t play with wingers at the moment and he’s in a hell of a queue to form part of that front 3.

Good problem to have but I’d like to keep him happy as he’s the type who will get us a goal when nobody is looking likely.
We’re not playing a front three at the minute. No number 10 we are playing the more traditional 1-2 midfield shape with two number 8’s.

HG has articulated the issue for Sadlier. He isn’t a great wing back. I think he is in the Nolan mould of not actually being brilliant unless you play him off a striker and get him into the box on the knock downs etc…he’s brilliant in front of goal. Top class. But rest of his game is sub par. That means that you have to play a system around him and we aren’t doing that.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:16 am

Really great to have so many scoring options and not just rely on a point man doing it.
Unless you have a Robert Lewandowski or such, seems like two up front has totally replaced the "give it to Nat" centre forward era. Seems also we've been practising shooting. Killer work up front and very impressive.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:17 am

As noted, there's 10 minutes of highlights at https://www.bwfc.co.uk/ifollow/latest-videos/ - you may have to be signed in to watch.

Some notes:
• Love that 60-yard ping from Sadlier (not Jones, as the weirdly quiet commentator says) onto Bod's chest at 1'35 or so. And they call us boringly tippy-tappy. :wink:

• Their goal came from Dixon's ping being cut out (2'00). Not his fault what happened thereafter, and those pings to get over the high press are often part of our plan. We just need to react better - John was bypassed, Johnston arguably backed off too far, and Dixon won't be happy to be beaten across him, though it was an accurate finish from a reliable striker.

• Equaliser (2'44) - credit to Lee for standing up the cross (Kacha taking advantage of his marker Jason Lowe crouching rather than jumping) but the chance came from the overload of Jonesy driving into the box and to the byeline as if he wasn't playing centre-back. Easy to forget how fluid our system is. When it works it's wonderful to watch.

• 2-1 (3'25): Call me a completist but there's only 12 passes here, I want to see the other 19 :D But what a lovely patient pattern of play. Dixon to Johnston and back again; Dixon ping to Jones on the halfway flag; inside to Tomo, back to Jones, out to Sadlier, inside to Kacha on the corner of the box, v quick layoff to Jonesy but there's no way through so we recycle to Tomo, back to Jonesy, same ball again to Kacha on the corner an this time he turns his man and drives to the byline. As he drives, Bod runs towards the near post - but brilliantly halts his run, leaving his defender flying onwards; Kacha is cute enough to see this and pulls back for Bod to sweep in. It's a beautiful goal.

• Also good to see Bod, who seems a very good team player, immediately turning to his mate Kacha to thank him for the assist. Not all players do this - Dempsey for example went off on a solo celebration or two v Wycombe - and it's not always necessary (not having a go at Demps) but I always think it shows good unselfish team spirit from the scorer.

• Iredale is starting to get it. With John ill, we needed him to come on - and the first highlight of the second half (4'33) is him not just stealing possession (admittedly from a woeful pass), but immediately playing a 25-yard pass to the feet of a front man *and* continuing his run on into the box, initially underlapping the in-possession Kachunga and then, as Kacha drives inwards, adjusting outwards to give us another option (inc crossing). Kacha fires into the side netting but in that clip Iredale does several things right: he's learning fast.

• 5'52 - Iredale's lovely flick-turn sends his man for a burger; looks up, knocks it across, Sadlier leathers in and the game's won. Shot deflected but was on target. He's some 'standby', that lad.

• But... next highlight (6'37) is us losing possession high up the pitch on the right, and them exploiting the gap in behind - Sadlier is committed to attack and Jonesy, backing him up, gets bypassed by a simple ball down the line. Sads sprints back well but can't get there in time; Jonesy's out the picture and Aimson doesn't get across as swiftly as Santos might, and they curl in a dangerous cross that might have been finished by a better team. (Decent save by Dicko, but a fourth-tier flop of a shot TBH.) With such attacking wingbacks (whoever they are - it's tactical as well as attitudinal) we are going to get pinpointed down the flanks.

• Bradley's goal for 4-1: start watching at 7'23 and you see Bradley sprint infield to the inside-right channel to challenge their man. This forces a poor pass intercepted by Johnston, who assesses his options. Bradley, still in that 'half-space' channel, finds a yard and demands the ball to feet. Johnston finds him, Bradley turns and makes the goalkeeper wish he was a bin-man. Iredale's hands-on-head 'oh my god' celebration with the lad sums it up.

• Imagine being 4-1 down at a club you'd like to imagine are local rivals - and this after being 1-0 up and dreaming of glory - and Dapo Afolayan comes on. What do you do? You certainly don't switch off. 11 seconds before he scores, Dapo is off the pitch again, having burst forward in the previous attack phase. As we recycle, he jogs back on, wandering into the hole behind our attack, with every Salfordian ignoring him. No.7 Ryan Watson is particularly guilty of ball-watching, although TBF if he'd dropped onto Dapo then Sexy Kieran would have been free too, having drifted off the No.3 Ibou Touray as the defender went towards the more immediate danger of the overlapping Bradley. Salford were by now just being pulled all over by a well-coached team of intelligent players. I imagine it's on loop at Worthy Towers.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:26 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:08 am
Highlightsd are here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYVGXbD9EE
Those are the quick highlights, TD. Get a brew and watch the 10-minute iFollow highlights at https://www.bwfc.co.uk/ifollow/latest-videos/ (sign-in prob required). :mrgreen:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:56 am
Just a note of caution on Sadlier. He's definitely a gifted footballer but I can see a similar scenario to his time at Rotherham playing out.
We know he doesn't like the WB position
and a few times in the first half last night he left Jones exposed by not tracking back. His crosses and distribution were lacking too.

He's a great attacking player and probably pleading for a place in midfield or up front but currently I'm not sure Evatt sees him as anything other than cover for Bradley or as an impact sub.
I have tactical reservations about Sads as WB, but I don't think he will be upset - and weirdly, perhaps, for the same reasons I have tactical reservations about him in that role.

He was generally unhappy at Rotherham, who play a very different style of football and ask very different things of their wingbacks. Here's Sadlier himself, talking at the arse-end of last season:
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... am-united/
People say I'm still playing in the same position but it’s not at all. Playing, training, it is a completely different style working the ball out from the back and playing different patterns. Me and Dec[lan John] are getting on the ball all the time, receiving it and knowing what is around us because we know what we are doing.

I'm getting possession all over the pitch and I am adding goals to it as well. It’s proof I can get forward into good positions and in the last few games I have had some really good chances from just being fit and getting forward. If you are fit, that position becomes a lot easier. I feel in good shape at the moment, and I am getting up and down.

It's good to adapt to different positions and it is not too much different to being a winger when you play a decent style of football. It has been good learning for me. Whatever formation we play now I feel like I can adapt.
Whether Sads can play WB against the better teams is up for debate; so is whether he can regularly get into the XI at the moment. I still think he was partly signed as cover if Dapo left - their idealised best position is drifting in off the left of a 4-2-3-1 - but we've changed and so have they. I don't worry that he's going to demand a move.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:57 am

Lovely win last night.

Shame to see Thomason sent off last night. On second viewing I thought it was harsh but I understand the ref's viewpoint on it. Hopefully it gets overturned. For me there's no real difference between the tackle Thomason did and the one Jason Lowe did on around the 27 minute mark on JDB (which wasn't booked). Both probably warrant yellows, no malice in either, just rash.

Regarding JDB's goal. There's 29-30 passes in that move and I think everyone got a touch.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:04 pm

Mar wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:57 am
Shame to see Thomason sent off last night. On second viewing I thought it was harsh but I understand the ref's viewpoint on it. Hopefully it gets overturned. For me there's no real difference between the tackle Thomason did and the one Jason Lowe did on around the 27 minute mark on JDB (which wasn't booked). Both probably warrant yellows, no malice in either, just rash.
Fair point, but a more contemporary comparison seems to be with the mortally wounded Luke Bolton's tackle on Dapo just before. He was already on a yellow, and even the Salford manager admits he could have walked:

“I think Bolts shouldn’t have been on the pitch anyway, should he? He should have got a second yellow, so I think he was lucky to get away with that. I'm not sure if it was a red. It was a late tackle but I think the lad went for the ball. It was just a bit mistimed.”

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:04 pm
Mar wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:57 am
Fair point, but a more contemporary comparison seems to be with the mortally wounded Luke Bolton's tackle on Dapo just before. He was already on a yellow, and even the Salford manager admits he could have walked:

“I think Bolts shouldn’t have been on the pitch anyway, should he? He should have got a second yellow, so I think he was lucky to get away with that. I'm not sure if it was a red. It was a late tackle but I think the lad went for the ball. It was just a bit mistimed.”
All being fair you could say that Thomason probably warranted sending off in the course of that match. If we consider the last one a yellow then his petulant kicking the ball away just before half time would warrant the other yellow. Either way a yellow is enough for the player to be a little bit careful with his tackles. A straight red is probably the most concerning thing, its as if the ref has seen something the rest of us haven't when he went in for that tackle.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:30 pm

Mar wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:10 pm
All being fair you could say that Thomason probably warranted sending off in the course of that match. If we consider the last one a yellow then his petulant kicking the ball away just before half time would warrant the other yellow. Either way a yellow is enough for the player to be a little bit careful with his tackles. A straight red is probably the most concerning thing, its as if the ref has seen something the rest of us haven't when he went in for that tackle.
Yeah. Difficult to tell from the camera angle but the ref might have seen Thomason fly in, perhaps judging him "out of control" (as the modern phrase has it), and with what might be deemed "studs-up" - although anyone who plays football knows you sometimes tackle/block with a flat foot, you don't always nip it away with your toe. Their lad reacting like he'd been electrocuted didn't help. I'm guessing the ref judged evil intent and found his arm reaching for his pocket before his brain had time to call a meeting.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:01 pm

Personally i wouldn’t be irking the FA with an appeal - it’s not like we need him for the next couple of games - it’s not guaranteed to be overturned IMO.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:08 pm

Just counted, that 2nd goal from possession to goal had 32 passes. Albeit one was a cross that made its way from the right wing to left. Silky.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:41 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:08 pm
Just counted, that 2nd goal from possession to goal had 32 passes. Albeit one was a cross that made its way from the right wing to left. Silky.
Where are you seeing full footage, Blu? Or is it <tap nose and wink>?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:10 pm

Looking at the end to end, "score a goal" process, I think they could do it in a lot less, thereby making themselves more time to score more goals....Jaysus.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:45 pm

Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:41 pm
DJBlu wrote:
The tapes have been released
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:50 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Full replay on www.bwfc.co.uk
watch.png
watch.png (396.32 KiB) Viewed 591 times

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:09 pm

thanks both!

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:31 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:45 pm
DJBlu wrote:
The tapes have been released

Beautiful. Dixons pass was awesome.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:58 pm

Disgraceful. Not a single 'ole' to be heard :lol:

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate