A Vale of tears in The Park? Port Vale away Sat 13th Aug.3-0 'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: A Vale of tears in The Park? Port Vale away Sat 13th Aug.3-0 'clock.

Post by The_Gun » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:28 am

Of course it’s disappointing to drop points due to a refereeing decision, especially against one of the weaker sides in the division. However, as has been widely noted, we’ve done well to dig in and take something out of the game.

It’s important that we take all three points against Morecambe on Tuesday, and I’m slightly concerned about fatigue after yesterday’s exertions. We’re going to need Johnstone, Williams, Iredale et al to combat those shithouses.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:34 am

One piece of positive news for us ahead of Tuesday is that we almost certainly won’t have to face Stockton, as he’s seemingly off to Fleetwood.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:41 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:07 am
Last season he was too soft. This season mentally weak. What's lined up for next season? Too tall.

He was yellow carded twice for minor incidents. No other player was and there were plenty of similar tackles, hands etc.

League One is League One. No player is perfect because if they were they wouldn't be here. Expecting perfection is beyond ludicrous.

Out of x amount of fans you seem to be the one who thinks Rico is poor. "Happens too often". We've conceded one goal in a team in which he's been a part of. You're always waiting for the mistake and yesterday sadly he made your day.
X amount of fans come on. There are plenty of fans who call santos out. He’s obviously a very good player but he’s by no means the player some make him out to be.

He is mentally weak and soft. Both those things. He has superb games but he also has too many games like yesterday where he lumbers around and looks a liability that the opposition can target for fouls and just general sloppiness.

He let the team down yesterday. He knew full well that he had to tread carefully yet his first yellow card is pure petulance. There is no reason to do it. He’s the captain and in doing that he put himself on a tightrope.

You can ignore it because it’s inconvenient if you like but I’d rather we addressed what we can control and be better at than worry about a referee we can do nowt about.

Santos just has to cut that out of his game and show more focus and more determination.

I’m wanting high standards because he’s physically capable but needs to sort it out in his head at times.

Aimson came on and was superb second half. No fuss, no theatrics or fancy stuff but did a job backs to the wall. He’s not by any means in the same level of quality as Santos is but he just focussed on getting the job done.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:46 am

Seen the Bod penalty claim and if that’s not a penalty then I don’t know….

However I guess the referee is blind to it a bit as the arm comes round.

And I’ve not been Johnston’s biggest fan but this season that boy is on another level. Definitely been in the gym looks stronger and defensively I’m salivating at how he’s playing. A joy to watch. Thought he was superb yesterday. And isn’t shrinking away from it any more as he would have last season. Stood up and took them on. Moved up a level and it shows.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:22 am

The first Santos booking is brainless, he needs to look at that and cut it out. He was also in the refs ear a lot after that and had one of those final warnings (where the ref got MJ over because you can't get the captain over to tell the captain to shut up). So getting himself where anything else was going to be a red was absolutely Santos' fault.

I don't really blame for the second one though. He can't then not defend at all (perhaps Evatt should have taken him off, per TD's call!). Even he doesn't get tight and they turn with a 2v2 and score, he's getting slaughtered for not defending. It looked like one of those 6 of one half a dozen of the other, they had hold of each other Santos let go their forward realised he wasn't getting there so chucked himself to the floor. I thought it was weird at the time as the ref had a good long look and didn't give anything, we carried on for a few seconds and then he did. So thanks to the 4th official for that nonsense. They need to sort out what they can and can't do. Already drives me insane when refs 40 yards away give free kicks for things 2 yards away from a lino, but now 4th officials half watching the game are giving stuff?! A farce.

But really good character. A point with 10 men for 50 mins is good at any time, in that heat on that gigantic pitch, superb.

Do agree with BWFC-I that Aimson was v good. Exactly what you need in those circumstances, it's good to have one who loves defending. Johnstone as well. Ridiculous save by Trafford too, who was also v good at coming plucking things out of the sky and snaffling up balls over the top in that last 15 mins.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:27 am

This might prove controversial but, having watched it again, I don't think the goal that never was was clearly over the line. It goes behind their goalkeeper's back rather than being just out of his reach as the frozen image makes it appear.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:30 am

Trafford is just amazing. Can’t believe we have him. Can’t kick straight but what you gonna do?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:40 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:27 am
This might prove controversial but, having watched it again, I don't think the goal that never was was clearly over the line. It goes behind their goalkeeper's back rather than being just out of his reach as the frozen image makes it appear.
The photo isn't great because it's off the floor so makes it look clearer than it was. I only saw the one real time replay and it didn't look in to me. There were bodies around too. They're the ones I don't think you can blame refs for, you see it or you don't and if you're not sure you can't give it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:45 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:30 am
Trafford is just amazing. Can’t believe we have him. Can’t kick straight but what you gonna do?

"Trafford is just amazing. Can’t believe we have him" . Same as yours but without the fault. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:57 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:45 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:30 am

"Trafford is just amazing. Can’t believe we have him" . Same as yours but without the fault. :D

He’s a Man City future keeper. He won’t need to kick it much.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:54 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:27 am
I've slowed down the footage and watched it multiple times over - it's impossible to tell. If it was over the line, it seems it would have only been millimetres over. Hard to blame the ref and lino for not giving it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:25 pm

Until you remember the refs a wanker who probably supports Tranmere, blame away!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:33 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:54 pm
Hard to blame the ref and lino for not giving it.
I'm not finding it too hard to blame 'em to be fair.... :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:15 pm

Traff, Dads, Bonz, Rico, do feck off with this shit!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:15 pm
Traff, Dads, Bonz, Rico, do feck off with this shit!
I see that Aimson's nickname (as used by Jimothy Trafford Esquire) is 'Slim'

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:42 pm

Whether the ball was over or not is a bit irrelevant. The refereeing display was shocking and his default was just to give Port Vale every single decision possible.

The fact is that I don’t believe you can referee how he did without having some sort of agenda. It looked decidedly deliberate to me and I’m convinced that’s exactly what’s going in the letter bolton have or are writing.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:25 pm

It's quite relevant.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:25 pm
It's quite relevant.
Not really because given even with stills and replays it’s impossible to confidently say one way or the other then a goal can’t be given in real-time.

It was never being given without the goal-line tech.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:01 pm

For what it's worth, I was disputing the claim, made by many, that it was two feet over. If it was, the linesman would surely be capable of making a judgement.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:16 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:01 pm
For what it's worth, I was disputing the claim, made by many, that it was two feet over. If it was, the linesman would surely be capable of making a judgement.
It’s clearly not 2ft over and I don’t think anyone can conclusively say either way from the video and picture evidence we’ve seen.

My gut is that it hasn’t gone in because the way it’s cleared off the line. But I think we are talking small margins either way.