No More of the usual, please - Morecambe (H) Tue 16 Aug @7.45pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Result prediction

Poll ended at Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:50 pm

Bolton by 3+
21%
Bolton by 2
36%
Bolton by 1
29%
Draw
7%
Morecambe by 1
7%
Morecambe by 2
No votes
Morecambe by 3+
No votes

Total votes: 14

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

No More of the usual, please - Morecambe (H) Tue 16 Aug @7.45pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:50 pm

In a first month of various interesting challenges for the Wanderers, perhaps the one with the least upside is Morecambe at home.

On paper, it’s a game Bolton should expect to win – against last season’s 19th-placed team who only survived by 2pts. But games aren’t played on paper, they’re played on grass and in the mind, and in each of those respects Morecambe are a huge bugbear to Evatt’s Bolton.

Four times the clubs have clashed, and each has been controversial. First, in February 2021 Morecambe contrived to get Evatt’s most eye-catching January signing, Marcus Maddison, sent off via a decision so egregious it was overturned within two days - but too late to stop Morecambe grabbing an equaliser against the 10 men. Two and half month later Wanderers went to the seaside and won 1-0 in another game marked by a red card – for Morecambe’s Kelvin Mellor, resulting in Evatt withdrawing Dapo Afolayan at half-time to avoid him being niggled into a second yellow.

Annoyingly Morecambe followed us up, and last February at theirs an incredibly fractious 1-1 included Ross Joyce sending off Rico (imagine that), a Traf penalty save, an immediate concession, a goalkeeper peppered with objects including a lighter, a game suspended for 10 minutes after suspected racial abuse, and most gloriously a 104th-minute Bolton equaliser. A month later at ours, Morecambe manager Derek Adams was booked, George Johnston’s brainfart presented a goal on a plate, and Bod’s 94th-minute equaliser gave Bolton a more than deserved point (80% possession, 25 shots to 4). Suffice to say these teams don’t like each other.

Morecambe are in the drop zone after a single goal and point from their opening three games - 0-0 home to Shrewsbury, 0-3 at Posh and 1-1 at home to Fleetwood – King Arthur scoring before a pleasingly late Fleetwood equaliser. Cole Stockton, who made the PFA divisional team last season after scoring 23 goals, has refused to sign an extension. Fleetwood have low-balled with an offer that’s in the six figures but not the half-million Morecambe are said to want.He phoned in sick on Friday morning and didn’t face Fleetwood but it remains to be seen if he will reappear to face a club regularly linked with him.

Four days after this, Wanderers host Sheffield Wednesday - join-top with 7pts from 9, and expected by many including this writer to be one of the title favourites. First, though, Bolton have to overcome Morecambe in what will be a week of contrasts. The trip to Port Vale became a successful exercise in self-preservation, but if the title pace is anything like last season, that’s two points dropped: more of the same against Morecambe would be a worry.

Whereas Bolton hunkered down at Vale, and will trade blows with Wednesday, they will expect to dominate the arena against Morecambe: under Adams, they are an exceptionally reactive side with a deep block – they registered 26% possession at home to Fleetwood, FFS.

That might give Evatt the chance to rest MJ Williams, and perhaps restore the more attacking wingback options of Declan John and Kieran Sadlier. There’s even a tactical argument for not replacing Santos with Aimson and reverting to a back two, although Aimson’s height will be needed at set pieces and Evatt will probably prefer to keep his outside centre-backs joining the play from either side to create overloads.

With Bod pushing for a start, it would be no surprise to see him join Baka up top with Dapo dropping to 10 to ask more questions of that low block. Morley and Dempsey have been the default free 8s running off MJ but these adaptable, intelligent players may be our deepest midfielders against Morecambe, which would leave us open to the counter but that may be a necessary tactical risk to avoid frustration.

What Wanderers need is an early lead, quickly doubled. Do that and Morecambe should blow themselves out. But if Bolton get drawn into a battle, it could cost them - not just tonight but also with the hangover to the Wednesday game.

The latest iteration of Evattball has produced a team willing and able to fight. That’s no bad thing, but good teams, like good parents, should choose their battles wisely. Perhaps it’s a good thing that Evatt – often passionate, frequently performative – will be serving his suspension in the stands rather than being drawn into Adams’ nonsense. We should be better than that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: No More of the usual, please - Morecambe (H) Tue 16 Aug @7.45pm

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:07 pm

We've had 4 tough games against Morecambe - 3, 1-1 draws and a 1-0 win (when iirc they were down to 10?). I'm not sure I've seen us perform at our best against them in 4 outings and they certainly don't make it easy for us to play against them. Hopefully, we can put in a better performance against them this time round. We're due one against them.

Oh and they're still not a "derby."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:09 pm

Yep good write up that. It feels like a bigger test than maybe it should. On paper obviously it should be a win. But we know the history. And can guess what it took out of the legs on Saturday.

Feels like a big game but I guess they all have that feel now, but whereas I think a point at PV wasn’t disastrous regardless of the scenario, and was positively super in the manner we got one, failing to beat Morecambe at home would scream that we still lack something to really allow us to take on the top of the table.

Not sure I believe that a number 10 is more effective against a deep lying side than two number 8’s with freedom but be interesting to see what Evatt decides on.

I expect Lee to play. Bod to play and maybe even Kachunga. If we are playing a number 10 then for my money try Sadlier there as his ability to bang a goal in could be crucial in what possibly could become quite an attritional match. Early goal for us and it makes it much easier.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:16 pm

I think we'll win this convincingly. They'll be bang up for it, and quality should finally tell. Not conceding first obviously vital. Vibes of Wycombe, and they're much better than Morecambe.

I wouldn't be tinkering too much, fitness allowing. I know we have a lot of Tuesday games but I expect big changes for the LDV vans, so they are your rest weeks. I'd probably only change Baka for DadBod (and Santos for Aimson) from the team that beat Wycombe. Would then expect Lee to come in for one of Dempsey/Morley on Sat.

Go strong and then use the five subs to rest people.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:40 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:16 pm
I think we'll win this convincingly. They'll be bang up for it, and quality should finally tell. Not conceding first obviously vital. Vibes of Wycombe, and they're much better than Morecambe.

I wouldn't be tinkering too much, fitness allowing. I know we have a lot of Tuesday games but I expect big changes for the LDV vans, so they are your rest weeks. I'd probably only change Baka for DadBod (and Santos for Aimson) from the team that beat Wycombe. Would then expect Lee to come in for one of Dempsey/Morley on Sat.

Yeah I expect Lee to play Saturday, against a good team and his old team.

I wouldn't be changing the wingbacks for the sake of it, or even for resting, but for the incomers' extra threat. I like what I've seen of Iredale but Declan got 7 assists and 5 goals last season. Bradley looks a superb player but Sadlier offers more in attack - specifically, if we pin them back, the ability to cut inside and find the spiders' nest.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:44 pm

Is Charles available for this one? If so, I'd be very tempted to start him versus the lumbering Ryan Delaney.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:40 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:16 pm

Yeah I expect Lee to play Saturday, against a good team and his old team.

I wouldn't be changing the wingbacks for the sake of it, or even for resting, but for the incomers' extra threat. I like what I've seen of Iredale but Declan got 7 assists and 5 goals last season. Bradley looks a superb player but Sadlier offers more in attack - specifically, if we pin them back, the ability to cut inside and find the spiders' nest.
I can certainly see the logic and wouldn't be aghast if we went that way, but I think sometimes trying to be "more" attacking can be counter productive. Sadlier is more front foot than Bradley, but what if that's partly because he starts higher and so maybe cuts off a passing route to get up the pitch. That sort of thing.

I think the main takeaway which you've also made before is it's nice to have the options. Iredale v John is interesting. John v Gordon...not so much.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:55 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:44 pm
Is Charles available for this one? If so, I'd be very tempted to start him versus the lumbering Ryan Delaney.
Last week we were told he's back for Sheff Wed.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:24 pm

Should win…score first will win. Nice early goal please!

Aimson in for Santos - they will let him have the ball and close everyone else down, but Jones and Johnston underlapping is a very different proposition for them to last season. Could also bring in John for santos - Iredale at Centre half. Might be a gamble but we’re going to have most of the ball…

They will kick us, a lot. If we can get a goal or two up I would be bringing anyone likely to get fired up or that has a knock off (Dapo, Dempsey?). Be a red card in this as ever!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:35 pm

If anyone is expecting a better bout of refereeing, don't get your hopes up. Tomorrows referee is Anthony Backhouse, the one that reffed the 7-1 at Accrington where Bolton were triple penalised (missing Earl for the rest of the match, the penalty and subsequent suspension) for a controversial foul in the opposition's box.

https://youtu.be/tmFKVgH0eZ4?t=19

It was a harsh decision that day.

He's also given a penalty against us against Crewe which he was a little more lenient that time, giving a yellow in the closing stages of the match:
https://youtu.be/8Gb2ol72Fgc?t=73

If you are thinking that perhaps the ref learned from his mistake, I suspect not. The 7-1 against Accrington came after the Crewe match, 20 mins and down to 10 men didn't help us in the 7-1 battering.

We've come off badly on 4 out of the 5 occassions he's reffed, losing 4 and winning 1 with a defeat coming against Exeter after Delfouneso left a trailing leg for the last minute free kick, stopping us gaining automatic promotion that day as well as any title chances we might have had. Other match that we lost was the Hartlepool EFL Cup tie where Dixon give them a gift of a goal late on.

This wasn't intending on being a ref rant, more just highlighting that its not looking good.

So here's a positive note, he has given us a penalty previous against Scunthorpe in a 2-0 win after Delfouneso was kicked in the face (no card given).

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:43 pm

"Shrimp boats is a coming"...says the song but they'll not be sailing up The Irwell They won't need buckets and spades here either, but they'll bring all the big guns for sure. A convincing win will bring a few smiles to the faithful and we won 't need "Bring me Sunshine" over the tannoy. We've had enough of that for a bit. Not seen who the ref is yet, but chances of a "friendly"one are slim. Our fame has spread long ago amongst the whistle puffers so...? Anyway, it's all in the lap of officialdom so, I'll settle for a COME ON YOU WHITES AND A 2-0 PREDICTION. ..... :oyea:

Edit, referee is Anthony Backhouse, make what you will of that given historical facts.

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:07 pm

Once upon a time there was a football referee. He was widely regarded as the best referee ever and earned the title of world's best for six consecutive years. No, it wasn't Mike Riley, Mike Dean, of even Uriah Heep. He was Italian and his name was Pierluigi Collina....oh for such a man in our leagues... :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:35 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:55 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:44 pm
Last week we were told he's back for Sheff Wed.
Confirmation from Evatt's press conference: "Dion will be back on Saturday, he is back training probably tomorrow. "

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:50 pm

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Dion start then!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:40 pm

Shame, as I imagine he’d be Ryan Delaney’s worst nightmare.

Dapo and Bod to start up top, Iredale to retain his place at LWB if fit enough, Lee to come in for either Morley or Dempsey. Maybe Toal or the young lad Toure to make the bench?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:57 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:40 pm

Dapo and Bod to start up top, Iredale to retain his place at LWB if fit enough, Lee to come in for either Morley or Dempsey. Maybe Toal or the young lad Toure to make the bench?
Interesting. Is Toure anywhere near first team? (Geuinely no idea)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:11 pm

They've had their luck against us. We've moved on.
Comfortable win.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:57 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:40 pm

Interesting. Is Toure anywhere near first team? (Geuinely no idea)
I only mentioned him because Evatt brought him on against Salford, and you’d think we’d want at least one centre back on the bench.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:16 pm

^^ Reasonable. Ta :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:08 pm

If Iredale’s LWB then we have a spare on the pitch already. If John’s rotated in, Iredale’s on the bench.