Time to Steel 3 points but it won't be on a Weds - Sheff Weds (H) Sat 20th Aug @3.00pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Time to Steel 3 points but it won't be on a Weds - Sheff Weds (H) Sat 20th Aug @3.00pm

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:52 am

Games are coming thick and fast and we've made a great start to the season. But this Sat sees one of the fancied and big teams of the division rock up at the UniBol. This will be a different affair to the Morecambe game but if we play like we did against Wycombe then they are there for the taking and the 3 points. Time to steel ourselves for a big game and one that if we win would be a major statement of intent for our promotion credentials. Who will Evatt go with to blunt their attacking edge and who will he entrust to sharpen our threat?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time to Steel 3 points but it won't be on a Weds - Sheff Weds (H) Sat 20th Aug @3.00pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:17 pm

For a man as superstitious as you, I'm surprised you didn't leave it to me to start the match thread... :mrgreen:

#pressuresoff #kettleson

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Time to Steel 3 points but it won't be on a Weds - Sheff Weds (H) Sat 20th Aug @3.00pm

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:17 pm
For a man as superstitious as you, I'm surprised you didn't leave it to me to start the match thread... :mrgreen:

#pressuresoff #kettleson
I cast the chicken bones. The answer was a pile of chicken bones :lol: It's dead at work and I was bored so feel free to add your ever insightful insights to the thread my friend :D
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:59 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:23 pm
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:17 pm

#pressuresoff #kettleson
I cast the chicken bones. The answer was a pile of chicken bones :lol: It's dead at work and I was bored so feel free to add your ever insightful insights to the thread my friend :D

The Wednesday come from their famously hilly city to the foot of Winter Hill for a Roses clash between two teams who finished last season in the ascendent. Who’ll be looking down at the end of the season? As ever, we won’t know in August, but matches like this will help us guess.

In last season’s third-tier stats, the Owls were 5th for open play goals scored (we were joint top) – but they had more shots from open play than us. They were third-best for goals conceded from open play – we were 11th-best.

They were 9th for set piece goals scored (we were 22nd) – interestingly, only three teams conceded more than them off set-pieces (we were 8th-worst in that table). If memory serves, MJ (MJ!) scored a late equaliser against them from a corner - after they’d scored from a corner, of course.
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 11.50.44.png
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 11.50.44.png (317.2 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
In the style matrix, they’re fairly close to the divisional average – their weirdly-eyelashed owl badge is more or less bang on the Direct Speed median, if slightly right of the passes-per-sequence benchmark. That doesn’t necessarily speak of mediocrity, but can encompass flexibility - ie sometimes they’ll go long or get it up the pitch.

Whatever they were doing, it worked. After a Jan 2nd loss at Shrewsbury they collected 48pts from their last 22 games, losing only to Oxford, Lincoln and Wycombe, to reach 85pts. But it was all for naught as they lost to Sunderland in the play-offs due to Patrick Roberts’ stoppage-time goal at Hillsborough - a season gone in a second.

I’ve looked at their summer transfers in depth here viewtopic.php?p=1137340#p1137340 - in short, at that point (late July), they’d only notably lost the loanee goalkeeper Bailey Peacock-Farrell and made a fair few decent additions: Rotherham striker Michael Smith and centre-back Michael Ihiekwe, Cardiff midfielder Will Vaulks, Bristol City midfielder Tyreeq Bakinson plus more. Since then they’ve also added Enfield’s Luke Cook, a name you can pronounce any way you like.

Their season began with a crazy 3-3 home draw against Pompey which did little to assuage fears that Peacock-Farrell had been adequately replaced by 36-year-old David Stockdale. To be fair, the auld fella then kept clean sheets in 1-0 wins at McDons and home to Charlton, but he couldn’t stop a 2-0 loss at a Posh side who dominated after Wednesday went down to 10.

They’ve been playing a 3-5-2 not unlike ours, although Ihiekwe and ex-Wimbledon centre-back Ben Heneghan have been joined by a different back-three partner in each of the four games. In the middle, Barry Bannan and Dele-Bashiru played the first three but were rotated out at Posh – I expect they’ll be back at ours. Marvin Johnson has played all four at LWB, while Paterson, Gregory and Windass have rotated up front.

This is the sort of game that last season we’d have drawn 1-1 or lost 0-1. So far this time we’ve been blessedly clear of defensive brainfarts, with only the irritating corner concession at Ipswich to wail about (although some teams are starting to play in behind our wingbacks, a trend to monitor carefully considering Salford scored from it before being bitch-slapped back down the motorway).

Wednesday were my pre-season title tips and they have plenty in the tank. But I’ve said before each game that a positive performance and result would build confidence, and it certainly seems to be coursing. Wycombe went away with their tails between their legs, but I fancied them to back off this season anyway. If we can whip Wednesday, I’ll start to think we’re set fair for a very promising season indeed.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:48 pm

Yeah, think this might be more indicative of "where we're at" than mebee the previous 3 games...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:48 pm
Yeah, think this might be more indicative of "where we're at" than mebee the previous 3 games...
Not sure. It’s a one off. And we could beat Wednesday handsomely but if we’d only got 3 points or so from first 4 wouldn’t mean too much.

Big game no doubt but had we not won last night I’d have been more concerned than if Wednesday beat us.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:11 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Not sure. It’s a one off. And we could beat Wednesday handsomely but if we’d only got 3 points or so from first 4 wouldn’t mean too much.

Big game no doubt but had we not won last night I’d have been more concerned that if Wednesday beat us.
I know what Worthy means though. If we're being hyper-critical we've beaten a woeful Wycombe, been slightly lucky to get two away draws and just about scraped past toothless relegation candidates Morecambe. But we can't ignore result forever and a win vs Wednesday might give even more belief.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:35 pm

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Big game no doubt but had we not won last night I’d have been more concerned that if Wednesday beat us.
I know what Worthy means though. If we're being hyper-critical we've beaten a woeful Wycombe, been slightly lucky to get two away draws and just about scraped past toothless relegation candidates Morecambe. But we can't ignore result forever and a win vs Wednesday might give even more belief.
Oh yeah. It’s possible we’ve got 8 from 12 against three teams who prove to be amongst the bottom 6. I get it. But don’t think anyone is getting carried away by it. Nor should we at any point really. This is a tough league. We are showing some good signs and some of the weaknesses have been mitigated or worked on. Others still persist, breaking down the deep lying team was more of a struggle than is ideal if we are honest.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:11 pm

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

That's the badger DSB, thanks. Ipswich at this stage of the season looks a good point away. Other three haven't had great starts and we've netted 7 points from 9 - that's pretty good, but a decent test for us is probably Sheff Weds :-) I think we've had a decent start, we're in 4th. 3 points on Saturday would get me thinking it was a good start.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:32 pm

Bradley to baka for a hat trick (of missed headers).
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:24 pm

Not giving a hoot about chicken bones except that they should be in a chicken, and with every respect for knowledge greater than mine, I prefer to leave the silver in the jewellers and not in the fortune tellers palms. So...a view..

Expect a fiercely contested affair with some decent football attached, but a bit of a pub-brawl unless the referee breaks recent whistle blowers trends and leaves his "I don't like Bolton" lapel badge at home. Ross Joyce from Middlesboro is the man whistling Dixie on Saturday, but you can read all about him in Wiki, so I won't bore you with details. We may not have reached full potential level yet, but we haven't lost, which is what counts.
Barry Bannen apparently hasn't been too well, and Old friend Windass is getting mention, so chew that chicken and spit the bones where they belong. Reading Runes? I'd rather read Jane Austen... :lol: COME ON YOU WHITES..!

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:56 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:32 pm
Bradley to baka for a hat trick (of missed headers).
Is it that they were all scored at the same end? :mrgreen:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:05 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:24 pm
Ross Joyce from Middlesboro is the man whistling Dixie on Saturday
Ross Joyce is the dude who sent off our captain and manager last Saturday. Pretty ballsy appointment that would be.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:47 am

All our players are presumably going to want to impress on Saturday to earn their spots for Tuesday's game vs Villa. I would therefore expect us to be even more fired up for this one than usual, and am hopeful of a big performance.

Their starting left back, Reece James, will be suspended, and I wonder whether Moore will drop George Byers after his display of petulance vs Posh? They have a strong squad anyway so should probably cope, but perhaps Bradley might get some joy vs their back-up on the left.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:05 am

Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:05 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Ross Joyce is the dude who sent off our captain and manager last Saturday. Pretty ballsy appointment that would be.
I got that by asking Google who was our ref for Saturday? Who then?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:10 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:05 am
Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:05 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
I got that by asking Google who was our ref for Saturday? Who then?
Tried again and now got Charles Breakspear. Not my week for much right.. :oops:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:54 am

Could go either way this one.

Club expecting a crowd of 22k plus, so should be a good atmosphere. Dion Charles back in the fold, so good news! We'll need his energy.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:01 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:47 am
Their starting left back, Reece James, will be suspended, and I wonder whether Moore will drop George Byers after his display of petulance vs Posh? They have a strong squad anyway so should probably cope, but perhaps Bradley might get some joy vs their back-up on the left.
Could be wrong but I *think* James was playing LCB for them - a position they're struggled with and rotated this season - see that video...

Whoever it is will have Dion snapping at them.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:47 pm

Yeah I had a browse on their forum earlier and a lot of their fans seem to be displeased with playing three at the back generally, and perhaps more significantly seem to think the left side is particularly weak. Good news for us.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:13 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:47 pm
Yeah I had a browse on their forum earlier and a lot of their fans seem to be displeased with playing three at the back generally, and perhaps more significantly seem to think the left side is particularly weak. Good news for us.
Interesting. Given their striking options you'd think they'd want two up front. Did they play a four or three during their big run in the second half of the season?