Time to Steel 3 points but it won't be on a Weds - Sheff Weds (H) Sat 20th Aug @3.00pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Time to Steel 3 points but it won't be on a Weds - Sheff Weds (H) Sat 20th Aug @3.00pm

Post by brommers95 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:46 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:13 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:47 pm
Yeah I had a browse on their forum earlier and a lot of their fans seem to be displeased with playing three at the back generally, and perhaps more significantly seem to think the left side is particularly weak. Good news for us.
Interesting. Given their striking options you'd think they'd want two up front. Did they play a four or three during their big run in the second half of the season?
I’m pretty sure they played 3 at the back for the majority of last season.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time to Steel 3 points but it won't be on a Weds - Sheff Weds (H) Sat 20th Aug @3.00pm

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:12 am

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:54 am
Could go either way this one.

Club expecting a crowd of 22k plus, so should be a good atmosphere. Dion Charles back in the fold, so good news! We'll need his energy.
Aye, saw nothing from Kachunga to suggest Dion shouldn’t get straight back in the side.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:59 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:12 am
boltonboris wrote:

Club expecting a crowd of 22k plus, so should be a good atmosphere. Dion Charles back in the fold, so good news! We'll need his energy.
Aye, saw nothing from Kachunga to suggest Dion shouldn’t get straight back in the side.
Kacha, after a quiet start looked decent against a division below, Salford side. But I am yet to be suitably convinced by him. Be interesting to see how we shape up. I actually think we're more likely to play 1 up front and 1 in the hole, to occupy Bannan and stop him picking the ball up in space. Maybe Lee will be pushed up to press him, so we can still use two up top? But then that's sacrificing Dapo (again), who really is due 90 mins
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:07 am

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:59 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:12 am
boltonboris wrote:

Kacha, after a quiet start looked decent against a division below, Salford side. But I am yet to be suitably convinced by him. Be interesting to see how we shape up. I actually think we're more likely to play 1 up front and 1 in the hole, to occupy Bannan and stop him picking the ball up in space. Maybe Lee will be pushed up to press him, so we can still use two up top? But then that's sacrificing Dapo (again), who really is due 90 mins
Yeah, Kacha felt pretty anonymous on Tues, I think I've mentally got him in the "fresh legs with 20 to go" bucket..

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:09 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:59 am

Just an observation, but I'm thinking Evatt seems to be shelving the "Never drop a winning side, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" dictum in favour of constant squad rotation to keep a high energy game going.. If so, I can see the thinking behind it as, with a better, improved squad he has to keep all the players happy with no divine right "Teachers Pets" considered against who's in form on the training ground. Kachunga can score goals, which is top priority always, but it isn't always the striker who wins games. With Charles fit again we should, effectively fear no one in this league now and I'm thinking Evatt's headaches are more in positive then negative mode.

We do need to watch defensive slackness and over-confidence, but again, we have strength in numbers now. The Villa game will be a massive pointer as to where we actually are, so bring it on. (after we beat Sheffield of course)... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:24 pm

I reckon it's back to Dapo/Dion. I would have expected Lee in midfield for his savvy but I guess he's goosed so it's back to MJ behind Demp/Morley.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:31 pm

Think MJ has to play. He’s too important for games like this.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:39 pm

I think it'll be Dapo and one of the big lads. Dion off the bench. They look v ropey on crosses.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:00 pm

Dapo and Baka I reckon. Dion might start though. Like Pru says the height seems useful given Wednesdays issues with crosses so far.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:10 pm

See they've signed another defender with a name crying out for a bad joke about a dodgy pub – Mark McGuinness

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:43 pm

I think its Dapo/Baka. They seem to work very well together. MJ a definite, Santos will be back with Iredale at LWB. Demps and Morley doing the work in Midfield. The others as you were.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:40 pm

After seeing the goals they concede I'd be annoyed if it wasn't JDB, his movement and heading ability are by far the best in the squad. I'd probably pair him with Dapo in his free role, or Dion. Baka to me still looks best utilised as an impact sub.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:04 pm

Tough game this and a good one to measure any improvement from last season. This fixture was the nearest we came to defeat in this unbeaten run, when we barely laid a glove on them until MJs last gasp equaliser. It'd be nice to see us create as many chances as we did in the Wycombe and Salford games, rather than the few we did in the others this season.

1-1 again.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:18 am

Anyone else who’s abroad not getting the option to buy the video match pass?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:36 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:18 am
Anyone else who’s abroad not getting the option to buy the video match pass?
Try incognito and maybe chrome...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:37 am

/clearing cookies.

It's poss being overly cautious and can see you've been on websites in the UK recently so thinks you're using a proxy.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:38 pm

Thanks all. Will try those.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:41 pm

Apparently we've the longest unbeaten streak in the EFL. Haven't lost a competitive fixture since March. I hope Fate and Lady Luck are out to lunch :shock:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:56 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:41 pm
Apparently we've the longest unbeaten streak in the EFL. Haven't lost a competitive fixture since March. I hope Fate and Lady Luck are out to lunch :shock:
You feeling kettle pressure?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:01 pm

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle: