Time to Steel 3 points but it won't be on a Weds - Sheff Weds (H) Sat 20th Aug @3.00pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time to Steel 3 points but it won't be on a Weds - Sheff Weds (H) Sat 20th Aug @3.00pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:05 am

Thete are reasons to promote Aimson above Santos. But purely tactically I wouldn’t do it against Villa, who will likely have at least one fast and technically excellent forward - a Watkins, a Bailey, that sort of thing. I would back Santos over Aimson against that type. And if we drop Santos and Aimson gets toasted, that’s everyone rocked.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time to Steel 3 points but it won't be on a Weds - Sheff Weds (H) Sat 20th Aug @3.00pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:29 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:05 am
Thete are reasons to promote Aimson above Santos. But purely tactically I wouldn’t do it against Villa, who will likely have at least one fast and technically excellent forward - a Watkins, a Bailey, that sort of thing. I would back Santos I’ve Aimson against that type. And if we drop Santos and Aimson gets toasted, that’s everyone rocked.
Agree with this. The problem has been made yesterday when Aimson should have kept his place on form. Santos should have played Tuesday and then a decision made for Plymouth.

I’d play Santos against Villa as he’s more suited to that game than Aimson for sure. But it then leaves a problem for Plymouth which has become a very big game. Lose that and we look off the pace.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:56 am

Santos is a human being, not a programmed robot. He's a classic Yin and Yang example and no different than any other team member. Which player had an outstanding and error free game yesterday? We lost 2-0 at home is the reality in retrospect, but we're a fair way off pitchforks and bedsheets just yet. ("My Mama told me there'll be days like this" ...as the song goes)

Losing may well be a good thing so early. It will make us realise that every game is just far more easily lost than won and that we are one amongst many in ambition and desire. Santos had a bad day, he'll have good ones. COME ON YOU WHITES.. ... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:05 am

Well, I thought it was another reminder that we have yet to reach the standard of the very best. Their pressure neutralised our style of play very effectively and we had nothing to counter it.

I still think we need an injection of pace. We have no one who is especially quick.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:31 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:05 am
Well, I thought it was another reminder that we have yet to reach the standard of the very best. Their pressure neutralised our style of play very effectively and we had nothing to counter it.

I still think we need an injection of pace. We have no one who is especially quick.
It’s less raw pace and more we need another like Bradley who enjoys just running with the ball. We have one outlet. We need a similar outlet on the left hand side.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:28 pm

Well what a sh1t 24hrs. Settled down for an afternoon of Livescore and BN updates when the phone went saying the daughter had gone into hospital. So a quick dash to collect the grandkids and wait for the news. By the time I got 5mins to myself we'd lost 2-0. Bah!
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:42 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:28 pm
Well what a sh1t 24hrs. Settled down for an afternoon of Livescore and BN updates when the phone went saying the daughter had gone into hospital. So a quick dash to collect the grandkids and wait for the news. By the time I got 5mins to myself we'd lost 2-0. Bah!
Jeez man hope your daughter is ok. The football score is literally irrelevant in that scenario.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:04 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Hopefully she's ok.

As for the match, was at a wedding yesterday so completely missed it as it was happening. I've watched it back without the panic and knowing the score. We seemed like we gave as good as we got throughout the match, which I don't think was that much. Sheffield Wednesday didn't really have to try that hard and we didn't seem to try hard either.

Prior to the first goal I thought the match was even, maybe us edging it, then a calamity at the back and we're shellshocked.

The Santos mistake is not a new thing. He's done it in previous seasons and he'll do it again. Although i'm confident that he does more good than bad over the season. I'm sure he'll do good, yesterday wasn't a good day.

I'm sure the biggest problem we had yesterday was dealing with adversity, felt we needed something to go in our favour but didnt get it. Almost like a rallying cry that never came. Bit lethargic.

I do wonder how much of this had Aston Villa in mind for Tuesday.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:15 pm

My beef with Santos yesterday was the reaction. Like you say Mar, dealing with adversity. His body language afterwards was awful. I think the role of captain is overstated but if the lads were looking to him.for inspiration yesterday they would have found the opposite. Not that the rest of them are much better. They cave too easily.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:42 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:04 pm
As for the match, was at a wedding yesterday so completely missed it as it was happening. I've watched it back without the panic and knowing the score. We seemed like we gave as good as we got throughout the match, which I don't think was that much.
Interesting to hear that.

I had decades of watching matches dispassionately as part of my job. Obviously I can’t always manage it with Wanderers, where love and fear and hope and hate are deeply ingrained, but I do try. And the impression I got from yesterday - apart from the sickening stomach-lurch of That Three Minutes - was that it was two sided without much between them. True, maybe they’d have found more gears if they’d needed to. They’d have needed to if Bradley had taken his chance. Really not hard to imagine us keeping or extending that lead, and then there wouldn’t be the inquest.

But that didn’t happen. I said pre-season that I hoped we’d rid ourselves of the daft concessions and sadly we haven’t. But we can learn and move on.

Yesterday was a sickener but it’s not all entirely broken.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:33 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:15 pm
My beef with Santos yesterday was the reaction. Like you say Mar, dealing with adversity. His body language afterwards was awful. I think the role of captain is overstated but if the lads were looking to him.for inspiration yesterday they would have found the opposite. Not that the rest of them are much better. They cave too easily.
Not sure I'd call it caving too easily. We were still competing against the opposition. Sort of a stalemate if you would.

I think the only difference was the mistake and subsequent shell shock which cost us two goals.

If anything I thought our problem was a lack of galvanising when we needed it. We played like we were still at 0-0.

Im sure the players consider there to be plenty of season left and this is a blip of a game. Understandable I guess but I'd suspect if this was a must win match the players would be found an extra gear. Symptomatic of early season of course.

For everyone looking at us capitulating or not doing enough the stats paint a different picture. We were a threat and weren't clinical enough. Two chances for Bradley which I suspect on a different day would've seen us get a goal.

This is a far cry from Parkinsons relegation season or the capitulation from Hills or Lennons teams.

Were considering this to be a bad performance. If we perform badly and get more passes, more possession and more shots then I'll not think it as disastrous a performance as others may suggest.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:40 pm

Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:42 pm
Mar wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:04 pm
As for the match, was at a wedding yesterday so completely missed it as it was happening. I've watched it back without the panic and knowing the score. We seemed like we gave as good as we got throughout the match, which I don't think was that much.
Interesting to hear that.

I had decades of watching matches dispassionately as part of my job. Obviously I can’t always manage it with Wanderers, where love and fear and hope and hate are deeply ingrained, but I do try. And the impression I got from yesterday - apart from the sickening stomach-lurch of That Three Minutes - was that it was two sided without much between them. True, maybe they’d have found more gears if they’d needed to. They’d have needed to if Bradley had taken his chance. Really not hard to imagine us keeping or extending that lead, and then there wouldn’t be the inquest.

But that didn’t happen. I said pre-season that I hoped we’d rid ourselves of the daft concessions and sadly we haven’t. But we can learn and move on.

Yesterday was a sickener but it’s not all entirely broken.
This is where I was immediately after the game, and sleeping on it hasn't changed my perspective. The stats bear it out - yesterday was a game between two reasonably even sides, decided in a five minute spell where we contrived to beat ourselves as opposed to Wednesday battering us into submission.

Had Bradley taken his chance (manning the North East corner flag, I thought it was in and had the flag already up!) I firnly believe Wednesday would have had as tough a time breaking us down as we did breaking them down. We were our own worst enemy, and panic set in when trying to recover the situation leading to a frustratingly high amount of misplaced passes.

Yesterday was disappointing. But it's not worth throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Reset with a good performance next week vs Plymouth, and we'll be back on track.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:41 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Hope all's well, Sonic.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:50 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:33 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Not sure I'd call it caving too easily. We were still competing against the opposition. Sort of a stalemate if you would.

I think the only difference was the mistake and subsequent shell shock which cost us two goals.

If anything I thought our problem was a lack of galvanising when we needed it. We played like we were still at 0-0.

Im sure the players consider there to be plenty of season left and this is a blip of a game. Understandable I guess but I'd suspect if this was a must win match the players would be found an extra gear. Symptomatic of early season of course.

For everyone looking at us capitulating or not doing enough the stats paint a different picture. We were a threat and weren't clinical enough. Two chances for Bradley which I suspect on a different day would've seen us get a goal.

This is a far cry from Parkinsons relegation season or the capitulation from Hills or Lennons teams.

Were considering this to be a bad performance. If we perform badly and get more passes, more possession and more shots then I'll not think it as disastrous a performance as others may suggest.
Not a complete capitulation like you say but an impression that they didn't really believe they could get back. SW soaked it up pretty easily and should've scored a third with the best chance of the 2nd half.
I'm just disappointed, was looking forward to my first game of the season and just saw more of the same old weaknesses from last season. We all know they can play nice football and Wednesday seemed happy to let them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:03 pm

Mar wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

Football matches aren’t decided by passes or possession or even shots.

I think we were second best yesterday. Not massively so but noticeably so considering we were at home. Mistakes opened the game for them but I thought what was telling was they were better in the final third than we were and had a better press especially through the midfield.

On reflection someone said it felt like Rotherham and that’s probably it. They just felt like a well drilled and well organised team with quality in there whereas we feel like one relying on one or two pieces of individual brilliance to get over the line,

It’s far from bleak but with what we have up front we really should be at the very least in the top 6 but we need to improve what’s behind that if we are to seriously challenge for that.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:33 pm

I don't hear anyone saying we had a bad game. There is a Santos bashing, but for the most part, most are saying, including me, that were outplayed at home by a better team. We could have scored with Connor yes, but Gregory made a mess of an easier chance so quits. Thats football. We score and win or we score and then they attack with vigor and score 4. Who knows?!

It was noticeable to me from the Morecombe game that although we are happy with the midfield numbers we have, they are all at similar levels..Morely, Dempsay, Sheehan, Williams, Lee, Thomasson, and that level will not get us promoted..maybe a top 6 is the best we can hope for. Not a crisis, but given our ambitions this year, we may have to sell Dapo, the only ball carrier we have outside of Bradley, who is being played out of position as a forward, and spend on a midfielder who is better than what we have.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:04 pm

Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:05 am
Thete are reasons to promote Aimson above Santos. But purely tactically I wouldn’t do it against Villa, who will likely have at least one fast and technically excellent forward - a Watkins, a Bailey, that sort of thing. I would back Santos over Aimson against that type. And if we drop Santos and Aimson gets toasted, that’s everyone rocked.
Completely agree in terms of tactics, but then I'd almost always put Santos in ahead of Aimson tactically.

I have zero doubt Santos will play. Evatt will back his captain.

What I do think is what I've said previously. The summer should be used to kick squads a kick up the backside, regardless how good people think they are (and arguably especially if the squad thinks it is good). These lot look like they needed that freshen up and a bit of help against the better sides.

Again, I very much hope Toal is very, very good.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:18 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:33 pm
I don't hear anyone saying we had a bad game. There is a Santos bashing, but for the most part, most are saying, including me, that were outplayed at home by a better team. We could have scored with Connor yes, but Gregory made a mess of an easier chance so quits. Thats football. We score and win or we score and then they attack with vigor and score 4. Who knows?!

It was noticeable to me from the Morecombe game that although we are happy with the midfield numbers we have, they are all at similar levels..Morely, Dempsay, Sheehan, Williams, Lee, Thomasson, and that level will not get us promoted..maybe a top 6 is the best we can hope for. Not a crisis, but given our ambitions this year, we may have to sell Dapo, the only ball carrier we have outside of Bradley, who is being played out of position as a forward, and spend on a midfielder who is better than what we have.
BE-HAVE. That header? Prime Nat wouldn't have scored that.

Goals change games. We were fine until we weren't. That's how it goes.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:17 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:03 pm
Mar wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

No, but these are the quantifiable metrics that are being used by the best teams in world football to improve their output. Its a sign of progress that the bookies are using to determine how successful teams are going to be over a season.

As far as I can tell we've got a scientific approach in play to help us win football matches and we've been getting good at it. Saturday we didn't match our high standards but based upon the metrics that are being used to track how successful we'll be over a season we're still on the right track.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I think we were second best yesterday. Not massively so but noticeably so considering we were at home. Mistakes opened the game for them but I thought what was telling was they were better in the final third than we were and had a better press especially through the midfield.
I'd argue second best for a 5 minute spell. Not much in it.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:46 am

Mar wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:17 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mar wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

No, but these are the quantifiable metrics that are being used by the best teams in world football to improve their output. Its a sign of progress that the bookies are using to determine how successful teams are going to be over a season.

As far as I can tell we've got a scientific approach in play to help us win football matches and we've been getting good at it. Saturday we didn't match our high standards but based upon the metrics that are being used to track how successful we'll be over a season we're still on the right track.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I'd argue second best for a 5 minute spell. Not much in it.

Their incessant pressure and closing down nullified us. They were better for far longer than just a five minute spell.