Time to Steel 3 points but it won't be on a Weds - Sheff Weds (H) Sat 20th Aug @3.00pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time to Steel 3 points but it won't be on a Weds - Sheff Weds (H) Sat 20th Aug @3.00pm

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:46 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:34 pm
Yes indeed, Santos is a liability at the moment and would not surprise anyone to see him on he Bench. However, he is not the reason why we lost. We were inferior to a better team.
Apropos of nowt much. Liverpool fan who watched it because his son's in the u19's said "Santos was a problem"....I'm guessing like Port Vale, maybe not his finest...is this going to be the third season running where he doesn't wake up until after Christmas?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time to Steel 3 points but it won't be on a Weds - Sheff Weds (H) Sat 20th Aug @3.00pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:53 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:25 pm
Aye, I'd be dropping him too. Tough call but sends the right message.
The message has already been sent. That’s why it’s infuriating. He got a place back without earning it and that sends out negative messages all round. Horse has already bolted.

Needs strong management from Evatt. Has to be behind closed doors but I think something needs saying and quite bluntly.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:06 pm

He's your Captain and best defender. He wasn't faultless for Port Vale but he was also hard done to. Aimson did well enough that it was a decision to make, but it's not like he was amazing, Morecambe are wank. I wasn't surprised he started Santos and I would have too. But I'd be taking him out for a couple of weeks. Make him win his place back.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:23 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:06 pm
He's your Captain and best defender. He wasn't faultless for Port Vale but he was also hard done to. Aimson did well enough that it was a decision to make, but it's not like he was amazing, Morecambe are wank. I wasn't surprised he started Santos and I would have too. But I'd be taking him out for a couple of weeks. Make him win his place back.
Best defender can be put to bed now. He’s not and never will be. He’s superb on the recovery. But that’s because he needs to be. He is not a great defender and never ever will be.

When he’s at his best he gets away with being an average defender with other qualities.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:23 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Best defender can be put to bed now. He’s not and never will be. He’s superb on the recovery. But that’s because he needs to be. He is not a great defender and never ever will be.

When he’s at his best he gets away with being an average defender with other qualities.
Do enlighten me. Who is?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:46 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:42 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Do enlighten me. Who is?
As an out and out defender Jones and Aimson are better. If you are talking actual marking, tracking runs, positional sense then those two plus maybe Johnston. And I’ve not been johnstons biggest fan but he’s improved massively and proven me wrong.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:46 pm
irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:42 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Do enlighten me. Who is?
As an out and out defender Jones and Aimson are better. If you are talking actual marking, tracking runs, positional sense then those two plus maybe Johnston. And I’ve not been johnstons biggest fan but he’s improved massively and proven me wrong.
If Aimson and Jones are now considered to be our best defenders, the Santos has certainly gone way backwards, and we will be leaking goals like a basket of water with holes in it this season. I still believe Santos is our best defender based on how we play. I concede that he has a mistake in him each game but he still is our best followed by Johnston.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:58 pm

Santos possibly proved himself to be peak league one today, maybe we should have sold in the summer - who knows? He’ll need to shape up else we won’t get promoted with him, we’ll move on from him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:57 pm

Worth looking at overall areas we’ve looked less than ideal in so far this season. Chance creation is one. For the ball we have our final ball and decision making in the final third isn’t great. I think this is partly the system. We don’t have those quality players in pockets in this system and rely on the wingbacks. And midfield lacks that cutting edge to play through teams.

I’d also say our press. Sheffield Wednesday had the superior press today and effected more transitions. I thought their centre halves were good at dealing with the physicality we had up front and that meant it became a question of who had the more mobile and strong midfield and they did.

It’s been notable in all games bar Wigan that we aren’t as effective on the press as we could be given the style we have. Port Vale was hot and we were down to ten men. So fine. Morecambe sat in but I still think at times we weren’t aggressive enough. Like last season if a team can match our press we struggle. If they better it we almost always lose.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:47 pm

Santos made a shocking error today, that will happen occasionally given the way we play. I'll not be giving up on him just yet, ta.

He's previously been described by one poster on here as not good enough for non league. Since then he's been made club captain, selected for the divsional team of the year and praised by opposition supporters up and down the country. He'll be reet.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:01 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:47 pm
Santos made a shocking error today, that will happen occasionally given the way we play. I'll not be giving up on him just yet, ta.

He's previously been described by one poster on here as not good enough for non league. Since then he's been made club captain, selected for the divsional team of the year and praised by opposition supporters up and down the country. He'll be reet.
He was shocking against Port Vale. Cost us then. Cost us today. In a league where you won’t have much margin for error if you want to go up if your supposed best defender and captain is this dodgy yet still great Id suggest that we examine what our ambitions are,

A centre half who has a brilliant two games then a stinker is no good. This is a league about consistency.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:01 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:47 pm

He was shocking against Port Vale. Cost us then. Cost us today. In a league where you won’t have much margin for error if you want to go up if your supposed best defender and captain is this dodgy yet still great Id suggest that we examine what our ambitions are,

A centre half who has a brilliant two games then a stinker is no good. This is a league about consistency.
Change the f*cking record, for God's sake. Bet you were punching the air when he made his error - anything to be right, eh?

:zzz:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:02 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:10 pm

Change the f*cking record, for God's sake. Bet you were punching the air when he made his error - anything to be right, eh?

:zzz:
This. ^^
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:40 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:30 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:20 pm
A nice write up for the know-nowters like me of Bolton's play from a schematic and tactical perspective for your pre kick-off perusal. https://totalfootballanalysis.com/team- ... is-tactics

Some nice words said. Feel free to blame me when we lose 2 nowt 👍
Sorry, friends.
I’m blaming Sonic for not letting me start the thread :mrgreen:

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:40 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:30 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:20 pm
A nice write up for the know-nowters like me of Bolton's play from a schematic and tactical perspective for your pre kick-off perusal. https://totalfootballanalysis.com/team- ... is-tactics

Some nice words said. Feel free to blame me when we lose 2 nowt 👍
Sorry, friends.
I’m blaming Sonic for not letting me start the thread :mrgreen:
That kettle needs some serious descaling if you ask me.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:03 pm

Any excuse:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:19 am

Not exactly ideal. A performance like that going into the Villa game and then away at Plymouth...eeeeee.

We've seen one genuinely good team performance in the league thus far, for me, against Wycombe.

No league goals from our much-vaunted strike force.

I'm not sure what to make of us yet.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:16 am

As to the Santos "debate" - fecking hell.

He was awful yesterday. He was stupid against Vale. However, he was superb last season and terrific against Wycombe. No number of good displays will ever convince Insane that Santos is a good player and every bad game will be a vindication.

You can either drop him as a consequence of two awful displays or you can try to play him into redemption. Insane can't make that judgement, because he thinks Santos is incapable of the latter. Evatt will have to make that call, based on what he sees behind the scenes. He'll either get it right or he won't.

What is clear at this stage is that Toal needs to be good. Every player in that defence (and 11) needs a kick up the arse. Personally, I'd play Aimson. I think Evatt needs to show the entire first team that anyone can be dropped. I won't second guess his call, though.

I don't think the summer provided the impetus to the squad that was needed, in terms of quality coming in in all compartments and pushing everyone to up their game. Maybe dropping Santos could have some impact in that area. From the outside we can't know. It might well be better to play him through and not risk making it feel like some kind of mini crisis - which it is not.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:05 am

Far from convinced at Bakayoko as a starter - think we need to get Bodvarson plus Charles a run now, stop rotating the front two.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:20 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:16 am
As to the Santos "debate" - fecking hell.

He was awful yesterday. He was stupid against Vale. However, he was superb last season and terrific against Wycombe. No number of good displays will ever convince Insane that Santos is a good player and every bad game will be a vindication.

You can either drop him as a consequence of two awful displays or you can try to play him into redemption. Insane can't make that judgement, because he thinks Santos is incapable of the latter. Evatt will have to make that call, based on what he sees behind the scenes. He'll either get it right or he won't.

What is clear at this stage is that Toal needs to be good. Every player in that defence (and 11) needs a kick up the arse. Personally, I'd play Aimson. I think Evatt needs to show the entire first team that anyone can be dropped. I won't second guess his call, though.

I don't think the summer provided the impetus to the squad that was needed, in terms of quality coming in in all compartments and pushing everyone to up their game. Maybe dropping Santos could have some impact in that area. From the outside we can't know. It might well be better to play him through and not risk making it feel like some kind of mini crisis - which it is not.
I think Santos is a super old fashioned sweeper at this level. He’s just not a superb defender and never ever has been. In games where you can play a sweeper where teams are unable to better your press and press themselves he looks superb. As one on one and in recovery he’s very good.

As soon as though a team presses effectively and has enough movement up front then you need a defender not a sweeper. And that is always for me where he’s come up short. You can go back to those games last season and he struggles positionally and makes mistakes in them too.

I’d contrast it with SW defence who I thought looked rock solid yesterday and gave them a platform to really play from.

Our midfield might in fairness be part of the issue as again Wednesday bettered is in there and clearly we need another quality midfield player as any combo we have isn’t quite good enough. And that might allow us to more effectively break the press and give Santos the ability to be a sweeper more often.