Shirty McShirtface: Help pick the Wanderers' kits for next season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Shirty McShirtface: Help pick the Wanderers' kits for next season

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:12 pm

Top right is fine until you consider that a sponsor has to go on it. And will inevitably overlap the sides of the stripe, thus ruining the effect.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:20 pm

I really don't care about kits much. But that looks no more than a school design project. Good lord.

Not one of those home strips is remotely acceptable.

The aways - look like the minimum amount of effort.

They should include the option of 'roll over this years kits' because none of those are any good.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:35 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:06 pm
Bottom left then top right are just about acceptable. The rest should be sent to Wigan!
Weirdly, a mate of mine wears a top like the top-right one (think it's Porto) when we play football, and it reminds me of 80s Wigan

Away shirts I'm not arsed about, green one's sort of OK, but those home ones are awful

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:36 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:12 pm
Top right is fine until you consider that a sponsor has to go on it. And will inevitably overlap the sides of the stripe, thus ruining the effect.
Hella good point.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:18 pm

Are they on drugs? Jeez...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:19 pm

The home shirts in particular are a very poor effort and the thing with these votes is, they've put 3 shit ones in front of us and when the final shit one comes out and people say it's shit, the club will say "Well you feckin chose it!!"

I really think the club needs to get a bit more input from supporters groups on this, as we do not play in stripes!!

Imagine if Liverpool stuck white stripes down the middle of their home shirt?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:23 pm

You do get the opportunity to leave comments... :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:25 pm

None of those home kits looks like a Bolton Wanderers kit.

What on earth are they trying to do?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:23 pm
You do get the opportunity to leave comments... :-)
An option I've taken. The thing is, most people will just shout into the vacuum on social media as opposed to putting their comments where they might actually make a difference, on the site itself...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:29 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:25 pm

This is the problem when you outsource kit design to Macron who don't care about you as a customer. Its not like Neil Hart has designed these himself.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:29 pm
This is the problem when you outsource kit design to Macron who don't care about you as a customer. Its not like Neil Hart has designed these himself.
No, but he (or someone at the club) has signed off on presenting those to the fans. It's difficult to square all the blurb about "embracing the traditions of the club" with these kinds of things.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:50 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:34 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
No, but he (or someone at the club) has signed off on presenting those to the fans. It's difficult to square all the blurb about "embracing the traditions of the club" with these kinds of things.
I doubt Macron just made it all up with no conversation, lobbed 6 into the web team and said "off you pop." I agree, someone inside has thought yeah we'll try that 6, from whatever they've been sent and still thought it was a good idea!

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:54 pm

I think they've just misread the room somewhat. It doesn't mean the board or Hart or whoever are incompetent or Satan-adjacent - they've had a look through our last few years of home kits, which have all been pretty safe, and thought that they might have a go at something more outlandish. Worth an attempt, I suppose, from a purely objective viewpoint.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:02 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:34 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Depends what the contract is. It might not be 'send us kit designs until we are happy'. It could be a specified time or limit on designs.

I'm not suggesting that the club have zero input just that we have outsourced this to Macron who clearly prioritise their bigger deals over us (and have done for a long time) and frankly I think its a poor deal for us (commercially though it might be great).

I've also been involved in these sorts of things and its not that easy to say 'these are awful try again' because usually they have fulfilled their contract and moved their resource on.

I'm not defending the powers that be here but merely suggesting that the major issue is Macron in all this.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:20 pm

To be fair - and whilst I think they are a very poor selection to choose from - they have at least tried to make them relevant to us rather than just identikit designs - the red away one has the lancashire rose all over it and the green one has our Elephant and castle emblem as the pattern....

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:09 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:50 pm
I doubt Macron just made it all up with no conversation, lobbed 6 into the web team and said "off you pop." I agree, someone inside has thought yeah we'll try that 6, from whatever they've been sent and still thought it was a good idea!
I have no idea what the process is now. It used to be that there was consultancy between club and provider.

It seems highly unlikely that Macron just email out pictures and say "pick one" with no feedback at all, but I suppose it's possible.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:04 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:09 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:50 pm
I have no idea what the process is now. It used to be that there was consultancy between club and provider.

It seems highly unlikely that Macron just email out pictures and say "pick one" with no feedback at all, but I suppose it's possible.
I *thought* Macron were one of the more club-specific kit designers. But I could be wrong, or it could have changed. Have they sent the same colourways to Palace, Blackburn, Stoke and Reading? It does feel like these – and even more so, this season's - are bespoke designs. It's just that they're gash.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:15 pm

From what I've seen, whereas with Adidas, Nike and the like clubs choose a specific template and colour appropriately, the Macron kits have a variety of templates that the buyer pieces together like a jigsaw - pick your choice of torso, collar, sleeves, cuffs etc. They also allow for shadow imprints (like you can see with the roses or the elephants on next seasons kit) and other touches like the "one and only Wanderers" stitching on the inner hem.

The stuff they've come up with for next season might not be the best example, but it's still infinitely preferable to the copy/paste jobs you get from the Big Three, for me.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:11 am

I’ll vote for a teal away kit all day long, wore it constantly in 96/97 with the best memories!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:52 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:25 pm

Simple; make money. Look at the price of a first team shirt. None of it is much about football as about finance, How many of our shirt designers have ever owned one or even been to a game? Too many beaks in the trough. What was ever wrong with this? Image
Attachments
a1958shirt.jpg
a1958shirt.jpg (28.71 KiB) Viewed 4194 times
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?