Heroes and Villans: Aston Villa (H, Lge Cup 2) Tue 23 Aug @7.45pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

What's your prediction?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:15 pm

Bolton win by 3+ goals
No votes
Bolton win by 2 goals
8%
Bolton win by 1 goal
No votes
Bolton win on penalties
No votes
Villa win on penalties
8%
Villa win by 1 goal
8%
Villa win by 2 goals
50%
Villa win by 3+ goals
25%

Total votes: 12

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Heroes and Villans: Aston Villa (H, Lge Cup 2) Tue 23 Aug @7.45pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:15 pm

Cup games are funny things. When all is well it’s a chance to maintain momentum, to raise profile, to excite fans, or at the very least to rotate squad members or blood youngsters. But when all is not well it’s a hiding to nothing.

Although he won a couple of games in the FA Trophy with Barrow, they lost their two FA Cup games under him, to Chorley and Solihull Moors. With us, the first season was an almost total wash-out - home losses to Crewe in the FA Cup and Bradford in the League Cup (Evatt’s first competitive fixture), plus a poor Pizza Trophy campaign including another home loss to Crewe, a loss at Shrewsbury and a from-behind win against Newcastle’s kids.

Last season was marginally better: although Stockport did us on an FA Cup replay, we beat second-tier Barnsley on pens in the Leg Cup before succumbing the same way to Wigan. The Pizza Trophy campaign was markedly improved, with wins on Vale, Liverpool kids and Rochdale followed by a knockout win over Fleetwood before Joel Dixon’s error at Hartlepool more or less ended his active Bolton career.

Barnsley, then, Is the closest he’s come to a giant-killing, but a man as keen as he is on empire-building will know the potential of a cup run. Allardyce, Coyle, Rioch, Neal and many others back into history have felt the uptick of a cup-run feelgood boost.

Before the weekend that would have seemed an ancillary nice-to-have, but the spoke the Sheffielders shoved in the Wanderers’ wheel makes it now feel imperative to put up a good show. Certainly being outclassed by what will probably be a shadow Villa team – although they don’t play until Sunday, at home to West Ham – would be a further blow to a club, management and fanbase which often seems more emotive than coldly rational. As with that Stockport defeat, being live on TV can be a humiliating experience.

Given the big clubs’ propensity for rotation it’s difficult to know which Villa will turn up. What we do know is that being allowed five subs makes it possible to change course mid-game if the fringe fellas don’t cut the mustard. I would suspect we’re more likely to see a Buendia than a Coutinho, but Buendia was the best player in the Championship a couple of seasons ago, so it’s not like Gerrard will be stacking his team with kids whose squad numbers are five times their age.

Against Salford in the previous round Evatt made eight changes to the XI that had beaten Wycombe, but was proven right when he said he’d pick a team good enough to win. Pursuing the same end against Villa would presumably mean picking his strongest possible team, which could have a knock-on effect for Saturday’s long trip to Plymouth, who currently sit fifth thanks to three wins each inspired by goals from midfielder Finn Azaz - the Aston Villa property, soon to turn 22, who hasn’t played a single minute for his parent club. Such is the gulf Bolton face in this game. For a club which has spent much of the last few years portraying itself as a sleeping giant, a huge challenge awaits.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Heroes and Villans: Aston Villa (H, Lge Cup 2) Tue 23 Aug @7.45pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:38 pm

Would swap beating villa for three points at Plymouth. Not that I want to lose it’s just far less important.

Beating a full premier league side could be the making of this team but it will be half a side in all likelihood and it just doesn’t have the same impact it did back in the 90’s.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:58 pm

Villa have had a ropey start and their fans are unconvinced by Gerrard. Prem teams haven't had a midweek game yet either. Don't think they'll be absolute full strength, but also don't think it will be an XI changes job.

Will be very tough. I expect us to be pretty full strength, play quite well but lose, then hope they aren't all too shagged for a trauma-reminding trip to the south coast.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:12 pm

VillagafferStevieG:

"Listen, everyone will want to play in this game. I'm sure they will, especially after the feeling of losing [vs Crystal Palace]. We'll dust ourselves down from the result and we will be strong, we'll pick a strong team.
When the TV cameras come to games like this, we know what the outside world are after so we need to respect that and protect ourselves from that.
And we need to bounce back from this result (at Palace) and put ourselves in the next round. That’s the challenge for the players and we’ll treat this game with serious importance.
There will be changes, of course, because the game is close enough for us to try and freshen it up and energise the squad and the team. There won't be wholesale changes and there won't be, 'Oh it's the League Cup, let's make all kinds of changes'. We'll be strong."

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:21 pm

Yeah it seems likely Villa will put out a fairly strong team and only rest one or two. They don’t play until Sunday and I’m sure will want a strong response after a bad defeat at the weekend. Gerrard also won this competition three times as a player and Villa have a live chance of going all the way.

From our perspective it’s a great chance for the players to test themselves against top level opposition in front of a national audience. I expect us to be bang up for it, and as a minimum we should demand that we at least give a good account of ourselves. However, unless Villa decide to rest Mings and Konsa at centre back, where they’re particularly weak right now, I can only see a defeat by at least two goals.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:03 pm

If Gerrard weakens it too much and loses he's in bother with the fans. I think they'll be almost full strength so not holding out much hope, but it's a bonus game really. Will be interesting.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:18 pm

Hasn’t Gerrard got the ex Blackpool manager assisting him / waiting for him to be sacked?

Not arsed what team they play, we need to play well to bring back the positive vibes. Would like to see Sadlier play - maybe at 10, or even with Charles alongside a central Bodvarson, with MJ plus one other deeper and the wing backs. Can’t see the back five changing…maybe Dec John starting.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:21 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:03 pm
If Gerrard weakens it too much and loses he's in bother with the fans. I think they'll be almost full strength so not holding out much hope, but it's a bonus game really. Will be interesting.
Yep. I expect, given the increasing pressure Gerrard's under, any first teamers left out will be sat on the bench anyway for extra security. Cant see us beating them but would be good to give them a tough game.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:48 pm

Dad Bod out tomorrow.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... o-cup-tie/

I would start with Charles and Dapo given this news, because Baka is not very good.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:02 pm

Bod is a blow. Hope it’s not too long but he’s not looked himself yet this season.

Not sure I agree on Baka being poor he’s just not a target man despite his size he’s one who thrives down the channels and off the shoulder. For that reason I do think he often does better off the bench as we stop playing to feet so much and our best two strikers are Dapo and Bod for me.

It’s an area we could look at as Bod is the only one who really offers something different.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:10 pm

I confess a little apprehension about this one. I was hoping for Dadi Bod and Charles to both start, or at least play tomorrow. I'm not over happy about B teams (we used to call them Reserves) playing on the same day as the Sweet Caroliners, but I really rate Dad-Bod and Charles as our main strike force. Cup games are ever unpredictable (I always think of Yeovil for some reason) so just about anything can happen and Villa are a Premier side so must emerge as favourites , "bud erm"...as Mr Gerard may well say.... As ever, I'll stick with COME ON YOU WHITES!
:oyea: :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:40 pm

I think the funniest thing I've read on Villa forums was this little gem.

"It’s important to win against Bolton. The league seems gone already" - Oh the excitement of a new season, 3 games in....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:05 pm

JDB might be out "a couple of weeks" on IE's presser...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:26 am

I just want us to compete. We have a habit of freezing in the spot light. Enough of that. A good display is required - win or lose.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:50 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:26 am
I just want us to compete. We have a habit of freezing in the spot light. Enough of that. A good display is required - win or lose.
I wonder how much Saturday's disappointment will hit ticket sales? Sounds like it'll be the high teens anyway, which will make for some atmosphere if we can get the first goal. Looking forward to it.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:21 am

I'm a bit nervous we're going to get turned over. I know this competition doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but I still don't want to get embarrassed on national tv.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:25 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:21 am
I'm a bit nervous we're going to get turned over. I know this competition doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but I still don't want to get embarrassed on national tv.
You would generally expect a Prem side to turn over a L1 side....that's why it's called an upset, when it doesn't happen :-) We turned Salford over last round 5-1.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:47 am

Coutinho just behind Watkins and Ings - they'll run us ragged at the back. McGinn will boss midfield (possibly smacking in a splendid effort from distance for the measure), whilst Mings will be dominant for them at the back.

We'll lose, possibly 4-0, but at least Evatt will be able to use the experience as a yard stick.
May the bridges I burn light your way

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:03 am

Yeah, I'm expecting a loss but mainly looking forward to an entertaining game of football and no injuries, fingers crossed. Hopefully not too spent for the tricky away trip to Plymouth on Saturday :shock:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:45 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:25 am
The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:21 am
You would generally expect a Prem side to turn over a L1 side....that's why it's called an upset, when it doesn't happen :-) We turned Salford over last round 5-1.
Of the 24 fixtures in the Second Round last season, there were only three inter-divisional 'upsets' – Sunderland won at Blackpool, Rochdale won at Shrewsbury at Oldham beat Accy on pens – and all those winners were from the division immediately below their victims.

By contrast, hierarchy was ruthlessly asserted as Villa won 6-0 at Barrow, Arsenal 6-0 at West Brom and Southampton 8-0 at Newport. Other scare-scores from last season's competition (various rounds): Bournemouth 5-0 McDons, City 6-1 Wycombe, Brentford 7-0 Oldham, Arsenal 5-1 Sunderland.

This season there have been a lot more minor upsets, with a particularly notable bonfire of the Championship clubs claiming Wigan (beaten by Fleetwood), Stoke (Morecambe), Boro (Barnsley), Sunderland (Sheff Wed), Millwall (Cambridge), Cardiff (Pompey), QPR (Charlton), Luton (Newport), Swansea (Oxford), Blackpool (Barrow), Hull (Bradford) and Reading (Stevenage) – those last three being beaten by fourth-tier teams.

Add in Burton (Rochdale), Bristol Rovers (Crawley), Ipswich (Colchester) and Accy (Tranmere) and you have a lot more upsets this season – but still not many bridging the two-division gap we'd need tonight. Whether that will continue with this round's injection of of the 13 Premier clubs not involved in Europe, plus Watford and Burnley, remains to be seen.