Heroes and Villans: Aston Villa (H, Lge Cup 2) Tue 23 Aug @7.45pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

What's your prediction?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:15 pm

Bolton win by 3+ goals
No votes
Bolton win by 2 goals
8%
Bolton win by 1 goal
No votes
Bolton win on penalties
No votes
Villa win on penalties
8%
Villa win by 1 goal
8%
Villa win by 2 goals
50%
Villa win by 3+ goals
25%

Total votes: 12

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Heroes and Villans: Aston Villa (H, Lge Cup 2) Tue 23 Aug @7.45pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:47 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:39 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:29 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:28 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:25 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:19 pm
Can't blame the goalie for failings in front of him.
Sadly TD on this showing you can.

1st goal if not impeded then his positioning was responsible for them scoring directly from the corner.

2nd, catches Ings trailing leg. Penalty.

3rd. Positioning and offering about 1.5meters of space for the lad to knock it in.
Blaming Dixon for the second is absolutely nonsense. 1 and 3 sure. But he is what he is. A backup keeper signed from Barrow. We could and should have better but it’s an Evatt blind spot.
Go away.

I could put blame on Aimson as he's the one allowing Ings to remain onside but that would really bother you.
That would be as nonsense as blaming the keeper.

We were cut open but it was offside and I’m not even convinced that if you ignore that fact that it’s a penalty. But we know Dixon is rubbish. But that wasn’t his fault.
He keeps him onside as the ball is played through. Step up and the linesman calls it offside. He doesn't, Ings goes through and Dixon catches his trailing leg.

The only 2 players involved in the lead up to the penalty.

They scored from is so I'd say they're directly responsible. I bet your blaming Santos.
Have you ever played football? Cos the whole ‘if he steps up’ thing is utter nonsense. Every single goal should be offside by that logic. And he is in fact offside - so not sure what you want Aimson to do. Run the other way? By the way what is Santos doing for that goal? Why is he so badly out of position?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:50 pm

Thought our passing at the end of a decent move was woeful. Some really good breaking chances only for the ball to be a fraction ahead of where it needed to be. Some more calmness on the ball and it might have paid dividends.

Dixon had a tough night, compounded by three mistakes as far as I can tell. Corner, leaving his knee in to give away the penalty and then the bad positioning for the third. He made up for it slightly with a fair few decent saves but by that point the damage was done.

Had we not conceded from the corner I suspect Aston Villa would've been a bit more exposed on the counter. As it stood, they didnt have to rush.

1-4 is a harsh score line. Quite thought we had a good game in that first half and the quality ended up being a telling factor. Banana skin avoided by Steven G by treating this as a threatening tie where he had to play first teamers.

Santos stood out for the majority of the match, tailing off near the end. Perhaps my MOTM. Wouldn't be surprised if he started having some higher level suitors, not as a first choice player but definitely as decent cover.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:52 pm

I thought overall that was pretty positive. We were at least the equal of them for the first half, and only a shit goal conceded direct from a corner shifted the momentum in their favour.

It’s worth remembering that five of their players cost them more than it would cost to buy our entire club.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:47 pm
DJBlu wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

1st goal if not impeded then his positioning was responsible for them scoring directly from the corner.

3rd. Positioning and offering about 1.5meters of space for the lad to knock it in.
Blaming Dixon for the second is absolutely nonsense. 1 and 3 sure. But he is what he is. A backup keeper signed from Barrow. We could and should have better but it’s an Evatt blind spot.
Go away.

I could put blame on Aimson as he's the one allowing Ings to remain onside but that would really bother you.

We were cut open but it was offside and I’m not even convinced that if you ignore that fact that it’s a penalty. But we know Dixon is rubbish. But that wasn’t his fault.
He keeps him onside as the ball is played through. Step up and the linesman calls it offside. He doesn't, Ings goes through and Dixon catches his trailing leg.

They scored from is so I'd say they're directly responsible. I bet your blaming Santos.
Have you ever played football? Cos the whole ‘if he steps up’ thing is utter nonsense. Every single goal should be offside by that logic. And he is in fact offside - so not sure what you want Aimson to do. Run the other way? By the way what is Santos doing for that goal? Why is he so badly out of position?
There it is, you're a drain, a boring one at that.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:01 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:47 pm
DJBlu wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Go away.

There it is, you're a drain, a boring one at that.
You are berating a centre back for playing someone offside but not playing someone offside. And a keeper for giving a penalty away that might not even have been one. Yet our big centre half is doing what during this passage of play?

He leaves the gap.

I don’t think anyone is individually at fault for the second. We were cut open but he was offside and then is awarded the softest of penalties.

Another day the flag goes up and we’d move on. I still think Villa would have won as we were flagging a bit by then anyway.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:02 pm

Just sack the dopey c*nt. He's conceded a corner and it's not the worst thing he's done.

1-1 against a (n appallingly managed) Prem team for an hour until a double official feck up. Got to take confidence. Cash aside that's their best available team. At least it wasn't a catastrophe.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:07 pm

It is what it is.

We were competitive in the first half and then in the second the gulf in ability between the two clubs really began to take hold; the speed of thought and the movement was more than we could cope with. We might possibly have avoided such a lop-sided scoreline had we not played with such a high line but fair play to Evatt for sticking to his principles.

I won't complain about the penalty. If it's offside it's offside by a matter of inches and Dixon has to make a challenge. I was disappointed to see him start, though, and am even more disappointed now at full-time. It feels like such a self-inflicted wound.

I just hope we get a result on Saturday.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:15 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:07 pm
It is what it is.

We were competitive in the first half and then in the second the gulf in ability between the two clubs really began to take hold; the speed of thought and the movement was more than we could cope with. We might possibly have avoided such a lop-sided scoreline had we not played with such a high line but fair play to Evatt for sticking to his principles.

I won't complain about the penalty. If it's offside it's offside by a matter of inches and Dixon has to make a challenge. I was disappointed to see him start, though, and am even more disappointed now at full-time. It feels like such a self-inflicted wound.

That bit about principles. When there's an obvious gulf, I think trying to "out-football" the gap between the teams is always going to be trickier than the "get in their faces, throw everything on the line and try and nick one" approach, but we're not really set up for that...(not a criticism of Evatt, just my opinion)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:15 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
It is what it is.

That bit about principles. When there's an obvious gulf, I think trying to "out-football" the gap between the teams is always going to be trickier than the "get in their faces, throw everything on the line and try and nick one" approach, but we're not really set up for that...(not a criticism of Evatt, just my opinion)
Forget a gap in quality the obvious problem with the way Evatt wants to play is you need to be that much better to do it than to play as an example how Wigan did last season. It’s more demanding on players physically and mentally and requires better players. It’s why for example Wednesday who I don’t think have better players than us were a more effective unit because they could condense the game and then press when needed. Our game is reliant on being that much better than the opponent.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:20 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
It is what it is.

I just meant in the sense of it being a bold and brave approach.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:18 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
It is what it is.

Forget a gap in quality the obvious problem with the way Evatt wants to play is you need to be that much better to do it than to play as an example how Wigan did last season. It’s more demanding on players physically and mentally and requires better players. It’s why for example Wednesday who I don’t think have better players than us were a more effective unit because they could condense the game and then press when needed. Our game is reliant on being that much better than the opponent.

I'd agree with this and I think it's reflected in our results.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:26 pm

Considering we're signing players from Rochdale, Gillingham, Accy and Derry (as opposed to Barcelona, Roma, Sevilla and Marseille) I think we do a decent job of playing good football. It certainly gives me more pleasure than much of what we've had in the past decade.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:29 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:26 pm
Considering we're signing players from Rochdale, Gillingham, Accy and Derry (as opposed to Barcelona, Roma, Sevilla and Marseille) I think we do a decent job of playing good football. It certainly gives me more pleasure than much of what we've had in the past decade.
Don’t really care how we play. All that matters is getting out of this league and that’s the benchmark. Well top 6 as I think more than that is just down to the gods.

I just want us to give ourselves the best chance of that. Don’t care about losing tonight and we gave it a go. But we need to play to maximise our chances of promotion.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:30 pm

Disappointing end after we'd done so well in the 1st half. The gap in quality is so high you cant afford to have anyone doing less than a 9/10. Our passing, movement and in some cases, bravery, were all sub par in the 2nd half.

Kachunga was at his frustrating worst for that great opening at the start of the 2nd half, where in the end, he didn't even get a shot off. I'd have preferred to see Sadlier come on for him then and be given a chance in that role. Why keep Dion on for the whole game too? He looked done in by the hour mark.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:09 pm

Highlight according to my mate watching it at work was a crowd shot pre game showing a full screen Burnden Paddock folding his arms and looking moody.
Unfortunately I missed this as I drove over for the game 😁.
Played ok for a bit but never felt we had much of a chance against a full strength Premier League side. Seeing the two team sheets was a sobering moment.
Dixon is miles off the kind of quality we need and starting Kachunga in midfield was a bit Owen Coyle.
I don't see us as a cup side really. There's not that kind of urgency and fire in the side. We're neat, professional and tend to win the games we should. Not the kind of side to dig out an upset.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:09 pm

Not read the thread, but I assume I'm not alone in thinking Joel Dixon just needs to quietly go away and not bother me ever again.

No other complaints, to be honest. They just have better players.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:32 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:09 pm
Highlight according to my mate watching it at work was a crowd shot pre game showing a full screen Burnden Paddock folding his arms and looking moody.
Unfortunately I missed this as I drove over for the game 😁.
😂 I thought we gave a decent account of ourselves in the first half, goal aside. For all Dixon’s failings with it, how the feck did the ref or lino not spot Aimson being dragged into the back of the net by Mings to prevent him having any chance of clearing it? It was as blatant a foul as you could wish to see.

Least said about the second half the better, but I wonder how things might have turned out had Kachunga not turned back inside, when he had clear sight of goal! I really want to like the lad, but he’s just a bit well, shit! Probably would still have lost had he scored, but we might have pushed them a tad closer. The other things for me were Trafford not starting, when he’s light years ahead of Dixon and the lack of and lateness of subs. Doubt we’ll be seeing Charles at Plymouth. He was looking to the bench well before the end to be subbed off.
Last edited by Burnden Paddock on Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:11 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:09 pm
Not read the thread, but I assume I'm not alone in thinking Joel Dixon just needs to quietly go away and not bother me ever again.

No other complaints, to be honest. They just have better players.
Think the overall summary was pretty much he could have done better with some he let in, but they could've easily been replaced by the same amount and more with ones where he made decent saves..

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:46 am

Funny one innit - the third, wtf was he doing?

I suppose the question is what would the score have been with Trafford in net? My gut is we lose but not 4-1. So for me that’s the end of Joel Dixon…if he wants first team football I’d look for a 1 in 1 out before the end of august.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:11 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:46 am
Funny one innit - the third, wtf was he doing?

I suppose the question is what would the score have been with Trafford in net? My gut is we lose but not 4-1. So for me that’s the end of Joel Dixon…if he wants first team football I’d look for a 1 in 1 out before the end of august.
Always thought we'd lose to be honest, the class gulf is too wide, but less a corner that took everybody by surprise and a penalty , 2-1 wouldn't have been so very bad. Much depends on how we rally now. If, and it's a sizeable "if", by the time we do we most likely will have an entirely different team, ( that might be the case even if we gain promotion) so just do the task in hand and let the future take care of itself. I'm still humming "To be(at) a Pilgrim" :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?