All change for Crewe? PJ Trophy Group Stages. Crewe Alexandra (H) 7pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

All change for Crewe? PJ Trophy Group Stages. Crewe Alexandra (H) 7pm KO

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:41 am

Anyone else bothering?

A dreadful tournament but some interest here in hopefully getting a first glimpse of Toal and seeing Sheehan & Isgrove's progress back from injuries.

Despite the restrictions on changes, perhaps a B teamer or two may be spotted as well.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: All change for Crewe? PJ Trophy Group Stages. Crewe Alexandra (H) 7pm KO

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:04 am

Ha, that’s word for word the thread-title kicker I was going to do, including the question mark :mrgreen:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:24 am

:D Interest in games can be gauged by how late we start our match threads.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:08 am

After setting off and gathering speed, the Evatt express has slowed noticeably of late. With no points to change tonight, will he change the crew at Crewe?

There's a case for making sweeping changes, from front to back. Criticised for the League Cup goals he conceded, Dixon may now find himself only appearing in Pizza Cup games. Eoin Toal could appear at the back with Will Aimson, while it might be useful to give Jack Iredale a go at LCB.

In midfield, MJ Williams got a rare day off at Plymouth. Another option would be George Thomason, who could make only his second start of the season – his first, against Salford, ended with first go of the soap – while Josh Sheehan is finally fit for first-team duties. So is Lloyd Isgrove, who could play right wingback, while the LWB slot could be occupied by Declan John – if he has recovered from the Achilles problem he picked up in the warm-up at Plymouth, where he continued this season's clockwork-regular habit of starting every alternate game then being benched – or Kieran Sadlier, who replaced Iredale for the final 15 minutes at Home Park and promptly added three shots, with his two on target doubling Wanderers' total of accurate efforts.

If John is fit Sadlier could also be tried as the No.10 or the second striker, possibly behind Amadou Bakayoko, who has only started one of the last four games. Dion Charles, having played the full 90 twice last week, might be rotated out with Saturday's visit of Charlton in mind. But with Jon Dadi Bodvarsson still injured, Evatt could also turn to Dapo Afolayan, who got a mere 15 minutes at Plymouth. Playing Afolayan and Sadlier off Bakayoko could also

So yeah, it's possible Evatt could make 10 changes - only Iredale surviving, and even he playing a different position:

Dixon; Toal, Aimson, Iredale; Isgrove, Sheehan, Thomason, John; Sadlier; Afolayan, Bakayoko.

...or a "6 and two 8s" pinned by MJ:

Dixon; Toal, Aimson, Iredale; Isgrove, Sheehan, Williams, Thomason, Sadlier; Afolayan, Bakayoko.

Of course it's also very possible Evatt will making his stuttering principal actors practice their lines off-Broadway. After big crowds vs Wednesday (22k), Villa (20k) and Plymouth (14k), it's a long way down to a Pizza Cup knockabout at Crewe: last season their home games in this understandably derided trophy attracted 925, 598, 699 and 771 spectators.

Bolton are massive everywhere we go, so that might be a bumper four-figure attendance tonight. But more important than the audience is the cast on the pitch. Whether Evatt shuffles his deck or rearranges his deckchairs, he would hope to beat a fourth-tier team who currently sit 7th, three places below the Salford team Bolton beat 5-1 in the League's proper Cup, but have only scored 8 in 6 league games, have conceded 6 (plus four at Grimsby in the League Cup) and have only won one since Saturday 6th August.

As for changing line-ups, here's a thing. Crewe were Evatt's second-ever opponents at Bolton. The team that day was Crellin; Brockbank, Delaney, Taft; Hickman (Jones), White (Comley), Sarcevic, Gordon; Crawford; Delfouneso (Miller), Doyle.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:14 am

BTW - the rules about who you can change are thus:
‘Full Available Strength’ means the EFL Club must include at least four Qualifying Players in the 10 outfield Players named in the starting 11 on the Team Sheet.

7.4 Qualifying Player means any Player who:
7.4.1 had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);
7.4.2 subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;
7.4.3 is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;
7.4.4 has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or
7.4.5 is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy.
The bold would cover most of the above names. Certainly six, I'd say (without checking).

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:36 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:08 am
it's a long way down to a Pizza Cup knockabout at Crewe: last season their home games in this understandably derided trophy attracted 925, 598, 699 and 771 spectators.

Bolton are massive everywhere we go, so that might be a bumper four-figure attendance tonight.
Oi! I nearly choked on mi brew when I read that. A moment of panic until I checked my ticket.
We're definitely at home this evening.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:14 am

So, effectively, what are the chicken-bone chuckers predicting for this one? A casual indifference might apply (just in case we lose and can say we weren't that bothered) or, as D.S.B's thread title says an "All change for Bolton" rallying cry if we should win handsomely? The Railway Children ( epitome of our youthful innocence) now all sport beards and tattoos (even the girls)and ooze aggression on the field of dreams; Meanwhile at physio junction the Santos fuseliers (bet you didn't know Santos is a name for a religeous wooden statue in Spain and Mexico, the pitch-forkers will have a field day with that one :lol: ) cast lots as to who gets a game. I really want to see Jon Dadi and Dion both fit up front as our strike force,but not tonight apparently. We might not even resemble promotion pioneers, saving the big guns for Saturday?

Anyway, single goal win or a panful of steam and sulphur walloping? (not winning is not an option) For me, 3-0 The Whites.

COME ON YOU WHITES... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:18 am

Whilst I think we should be going for the win this evening, I wouldn't be starting too many important first teamers with an important game against Charlton coming up on Saturday. It's likely Crewe will make plenty of changes, so we should be able to win without risking our key men.

Even though MJ got a rest at the weekend I wouldn't be playing him from the off tonight. Maybe give him half an hour at the end of the game. I think we can certainly expect Thomason to start, and perhaps the lad Khumbeni might get a chance.

It's very likely Dixon will get the nod in goal, although I'd be tempted to go with Hutchinson myself. If Dixon is going to be our back-up for the rest of the season then it makes sense to keep him happy, but I'd also like to see Hutchinson be given the opportunity to prove himself in the first team.

Dixon

Toal Aimson Iredale

Isgrove John

Khumbeni

Thomason Sheehan

Baka Carty

Perhaps unlikely that we see two B teamers start, but I'd personally like to see the better ones given their chance, and I'd rather not play the likes of Dapo and MJ at this stage of the pizza cup.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:36 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:18 am
Perhaps unlikely that we see two B teamers start, but I'd personally like to see the better ones given their chance, and I'd rather not play the likes of Dapo and MJ at this stage of the pizza cup.
Wouldn't astonish me to see Khumbeni play, but I think Thomason and Sheehan are nailed-on starters, so there's only the one midfield space left.
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:36 am
Apologies. Hope the brew's OK.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:49 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:24 am
I have to confess, I'll look for the result after the game and then see what side we put out, but that's about it.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:59 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:49 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I have to confess, I'll look for the result after the game and then see what side we put out, but that's about it.
I'm reckoning you'd have been at that chippy, had it been away!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:14 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:59 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:49 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I'm reckoning you'd have been at that chippy, had it been away!
Correct :D

On that front, I must make a concerted effort to get there on Saturday early enough to pick one of the chicken tikka naans with garlic fries I keep seeing. Might even see if I can get Morag to drop me off so I can wash it all down with a couple of wet ones :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:36 am
The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:18 am
Wouldn't astonish me to see Khumbeni play, but I think Thomason and Sheehan are nailed-on starters, so there's only the one midfield space left.
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:36 am
Apologies. Hope the brew's OK.
Thomason seems nailed on, and Sheehan very likely if he’s fit enough. Given MJ didn’t play on Saturday it’s not unlikely he starts, but I don’t think that would be sensible given that he absence of first team cover for him.

Tonight is the perfect opportunity to give the B team lads a go, unless they’re way off the standard required.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:38 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:27 pm

Tonight is the perfect opportunity to give the B team lads a go, unless they’re way off the standard required.
Is that wise or are we not bothered about progressing in the Cup? The B boys don't seem to be breaking many pots at their own level, do they? A win does much for mood and confidence, so I'd be after one. Just a view.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:38 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:27 pm

Is that wise or are we not bothered about progressing in the Cup? The B boys don't seem to be breaking many pots at their own level, do they? A win does much for mood and confidence, so I'd be after one. Just a view.
I want to win tonight and I think we should aim to win the whole competition, but at the same time a mix of our first team with a sprinkling of the better B team players should be able to beat Crewe’s reserves.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:02 pm

Khumbeni has already been on the bench twice, coming on once, so he's clearly not a million miles from suitability. Given he's in an understaffed position (defensive midfield) and the transfer deadline is Thursday, it's possible to say it would actually be daft *not* to play him and see if he's up to muster. BWFCi's grapevine has him impressing the coaches, so let's see if he's some sort of answer.

Khumbeni sat behind Thomason (youthfully exuberant and has also played in that slightly deeper role) and Sheehan should be a reasonable mix - Khumbeni the sitter, Thomason the runner, Sheehan the passer. We may well have two 'attacking' wingbacks in Isgrove and Sadlier, so it's not like we'll lack options.

I assume we can make five subs, although it's worth noting Sheehan and Isgrove might not last the distance and we may want to rest out say Dapo for the last half-hour.

There is also, though, a world in which Evatt takes essentially the same players and redeploys the back four. Same centre-midfield trio; Baka up top with Dapo to his left and Sadlier to his right. Iredale LB, Aimson/Toal, then OK Izzy isn't really a right-back but it's basically a training/fitness game for him and with Iredale LB you could see the return of the wonky Wanderers - Iredale tucks in, Izzy bombs on overlapping Sadlier who cuts inside.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:14 pm

Covered by DSB above but just a visual reminder of who counts as a Qualifying Player for tonight's game:
Loads of room for rotation, while still playing a side strong enough to beat Crewe. Impossible to predict what Evatt is actually going to do though. Didn't he say there'd be a lot of changes before the PJT game last season against Rochdale and then proceed to play a full strength side?

I'd guess at the starting lineup being the following:

.............Carty.............Bakayoko

.....................Sheehan.............

Sadlier...Thomason...Khumbeni...Isgrove

.........Iredale......Toal.......Aimson......

.......................Dixon....................

Would like to see Hutchinson given a start but think Dixon will get the nod. Have a sneaking suspicion Carty will start to see what he's about after scoring two in two for the B Team.
Last edited by brommers95 on Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:32 pm

Completely forgot about Sadlier, but I would also start him tonight, maybe up front playing off Baka.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:07 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:32 pm
Completely forgot about Sadlier, but I would also start him tonight, maybe up front playing off Baka.
So did Evatt, etc and so on

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:08 pm

Sadlier is gonna be knackered playing that formation! :shock:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle: