All change for Crewe? PJ Trophy Group Stages. Crewe Alexandra (H) 7pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: All change for Crewe? PJ Trophy Group Stages. Crewe Alexandra (H) 7pm KO

Post by Mar » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:48 pm

Well a frustrating night becomes a damn sight less frustrating.

Nice link up play with Sadlier and Kachunga, and for the first time we get a 2 goal cushion. Well deserved.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:48 pm

Unlike Dixon my reserve brewer delivers :pissed:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:49 pm

There we go. Target hit. Accuracy, power. In it goes. I’ve always said: if you score, that’s probably going to be a goal.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:50 pm

Now it's time to make room for that last brew. BRB :wink:

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:51 pm

Strike when the kettle is hot I say :lol:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:51 pm

We've been great at times tonight. Scoreline does not flatter us whatsoever.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:58 pm

Game of opinions Mar. We huffed and puffed for nearly 80 minutes at 1-1. Last 10 we tried to be more incisive and about 5 times quicker. Poor 80. Great 10. Of folks playing more than 60 mins, I 'd probably give Thommo motm.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:58 pm

Not seen a thing bar their goal but I’d suggest it presents some challenges for selection. Charles must start Saturday presumably. Sadlier - no idea if he played well or not but he seems to score when he does and that is what we lack right now.

Sounds like Sheehan looked good too and Toal sounded solid.

Saturday will be an interesting team sheet and maybe even a new one to add in to the mix by then….

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:01 pm

And as the sun sinks behind Winter Hill....we breathe a sigh of relief and sleep easy. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:58 pm
Not seen a thing bar their goal but I’d suggest it presents some challenges for selection. Charles must start Saturday presumably. Sadlier - no idea if he played well or not but he seems to score when he does and that is what we lack right now.

Saturday will be an interesting team sheet and maybe even a new one to add in to the mix by then….
Charles looked very sharp against a team that was a bit knackered. Sads had a good game as did Sheehan, but lacking a bit of inspiration in final third for 80 mins for me..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:04 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Charles looked very sharp against a team that was a bit knackered. Sads had a good game as did Sheehan, but lacking a bit of inspiration in final third for 80 mins for me..
Honestly all season I’ve felt we lack something in the final third. We look a bit flat and clueless when we get there. Need a spark and I’m not convinced we have that spark in the squad. No idea what that would be though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:14 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Honestly all season I’ve felt we lack something in the final third. We look a bit flat and clueless when we get there. Need a spark and I’m not convinced we have that spark in the squad. No idea what that would be though.
Yeah, we had 10 crosses in first half, 3 were successful. It was like getting excited when Arsenal used to dominate to the edge of the box, then nowt much happened, to trouble the scorer...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:28 pm

We play some nice, passing football but without any kind of tempo it can and does get immensely frustrating. We tore into them for the first 10 and a combination of poor finishing (Baka & Daps) and poor final ball (Jones, Sadlier, Iredale) meant we were only 1 up when we should have been out of sight.

Shocking error from Dixon surrenders the lead then we toiled for the next hour. Tempo increased again with the introduction of Charles, Bradley and Kachunga and we finally put the game to bed.

Thomasson easily my MotM. Toal looked comfortable. Sadlier was heavily involved in the 1st half, went missing for the 2nd then scores a very well taken goal. Dapo out of sorts. Aimson solid and niggly at the back and like Dapo, guilty of killing momentum too often by going backwards or sideways.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:30 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:28 pm
We play some nice, passing football but without any kind of tempo it can and does get immensely frustrating. We tore into them for the first 10 and a combination of poor finishing (Baka & Daps) and poor final ball (Jones, Sadlier, Iredale) meant we were only 1 up when we should have been out of sight.

Shocking error from Dixon surrenders the lead then we toiled for the next hour. Tempo increased again with the introduction of Charles, Bradley and Kachunga and we finally put the game to bed.

Thomasson easily my MotM. Toal looked comfortable. Sadlier was heavily involved in the 1st half, went missing for the 2nd then scores a very well taken goal. Dapo out of sorts. Aimson solid and niggly at the back and like Dapo, guilty of killing momentum too often by going backwards or sideways.
Yup. Pretty much exactly what I watched :-)

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:14 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Absent a new signing, I think the best we can do is play Sadlier higher up the pitch as we have tonight or change it so we play our best player in his best position again (Dapo; wide left).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:34 pm

The thing is passing the ball is good but when you get into the final third you need a method to create a chance. I feel that our method is sideways and hope the opposition lose discipline but better teams do not. I feel we need a way to threaten in behind from the final third and that probably needs pace and/or some quality real quality of delivery from out wide.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:21 pm
Yeah, we had 10 crosses in first half, 3 were successful.
Thought you didn’t give a shit what the stats say? :mrgreen:

Job done, bit of confidence restored, some players rested, Toal introduced. Sadlier goal and assist. Sheehan the “new signing”?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:13 pm

Out of interest - who started the second half as skipper when Geth went off?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:20 pm

Seems we needed a bit of self-confidence and belief. Just let's get Jon Dadi fully fit now, our defence organised and put the hammer down from the off. We have a strong squad and we don't seem far off the mark. A few wins and who knows..? :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:26 pm

BorsdaneWhite wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:49 pm
I’ve always said: if you score, that’s probably going to be a goal.
That has to be a Keegan-ism, no? :D
May the bridges I burn light your way