Trotters v Charlton - Time for the Sorting Hat - (H) 15:00 3rd Sept

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Trotters v Charlton - Time for the Sorting Hat - (H) 15:00 3rd Sept

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:24 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:00 pm
Worth saying that Evatt got the midfield selection bang on today. Doubt it'll shut up the nay-sayers and "selection bingo" commentators, but maybe it should. Maybe, just maybe, someone who sees these lads every day in training knows better than us how to play them...?

Thomason was excellent. 9/10. Constantly showed for it, got his foot in, closed down well, and played some great passes.
Forum discussion cancelled because the Manager's always right? Can't see that occurring... :-)

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:31 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:24 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Worth saying that Evatt got the midfield selection bang on today. Doubt it'll shut up the nay-sayers and "selection bingo" commentators, but maybe it should. Maybe, just maybe, someone who sees these lads every day in training knows better than us how to play them...?

Thomason was excellent. 9/10. Constantly showed for it, got his foot in, closed down well, and played some great passes.
Forum discussion cancelled because the Manager's always right? Can't see that occurring... :-)
I know, I know. It'd just be nice to see some of the more critical individuals admit, for once, that they were wrong...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:53 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:31 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:24 pm
truewhite15 wrote:

I know, I know. It'd just be nice to see some of the more critical individuals admit, for once, that they were wrong...
If we lose does that mean you will admit Evatt got it wrong?

I think the midfield selection today worked well and I’m delighted it did and happy I was wrong. But I still feel we are changing too much too often and when it works it’s great but we’ve lost the past two league games with odd selections so I’d prefer a little more stability in starting line ups to emerge. You don’t need the same 11 week in week out but for some consistency we need to establish a little more consistency in what we are turning out.

I thought Thomason had a very good game but 9/10 is a bit high. An 8. Very good energy but occasionally wasted the ball and notably was absolutely dead on his feet for the last twenty minutes.

Lee was superb. As was Charles. I don’t think we have clicked into gear yet. At times we switch it on and look unplayable but those periods last a short time and then we look a bit ponderous again. But we are definitely going to be a handful for anyone here. Got to be honest and whilst we won and played well I’m not convinced the system didn’t hold us back at times today as it was noticeable how their wide mean in their front three found a lot of space and early second half they pinned our wing backs in.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:54 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:52 pm
How was George Thomason? A lot of v favourable shouts on twitter but would appreciate some perspective from those who could see the game.
Man of the match for most sat around me. I tended to agree.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:23 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:54 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:52 pm
How was George Thomason? A lot of v favourable shouts on twitter but would appreciate some perspective from those who could see the game.
Man of the match for most sat around me. I tended to agree.

Him or Lee for me. Toss up.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:23 pm
Him or Lee for me. Toss up.
Yup, Honourable mention to Bradley as well, who was knackered after about an hour and somehow kept running and making things happen.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:41 pm

Could only half follow the live text today, as is sadly becoming too regular an occurrence. Happy to eat my words when it comes to Thomason - sounds like he’s had an excellent game today. I’ve been a doubter, but I have to admit that it seems the work he’s done over the summer is really starting to pay off. I love seeing young players coming through, and George could be a valuable asset for us if he stays on this trajectory.

Also, COYFWM! Great win for us and I’m hopeful we can go and take three points from Cheltenham next week as well. Blimey, we don’t half have some tough games coming up after that though, eh?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:52 pm

After his start to the season, are people still of the opinion that Johnston can't defend? I think he's been excellent for the most part and covered for some very iffy play from Iredale today.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:08 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:52 pm
After his start to the season, are people still of the opinion that Johnston can't defend? I think he's been excellent for the most part and covered for some very iffy play from Iredale today.
You mean apart from giving a goal away and their lad having him on toast all game? Have been impressed with him this season but thought today he was absolutely all over the show.

Santos looked back to his best as the game went on. Jones was also solid. Personally thought Iredale had a really good game and had to help Johnston out far more than you’d want.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:08 pm
You mean apart from giving a goal away and their lad having him on toast all game? Have been impressed with him this season but thought today he was absolutely all over the show.

Santos looked back to his best as the game went on. Jones was also solid. Personally thought Iredale had a really good game and had to help Johnston out far more than you’d want.
I think the in first 5-10 minutes of each half we looked half awake. The lot of them. But for me the issues down the left were almost all on Iredale, who couldn't decide if he was coming or going.

I though Johnston mostly dealt very well with being left completely isolated.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:19 pm

What I will say is I took my little lad with me today and he had an absolute blast. Loved every second of the game and described us as being "majestic." Bought himself a new shirt with his birthday money and had his first proper "fall in love with the game" match day.

He's been to games before, but I think this was that match that he'll remember when he's older - like most of us have from when we first started going.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:26 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:13 pm
I thought he was turned inside out at least twice in five minutes by Rak-Sakyi – and had the loanee been more accurate or Trafford less awake, we could have encountered big trouble and a lot more BWFCi posts on this thread. :mrgreen:

That's not to say Iredale shouldn't have been there to help him out – but that's always the problem with wingbacks, especially against high width like Charlton's 4-3-3. Iredale crossed for Bradley's equaliser in a goal created and scored by wingbacks, but the position's attacking responsibilities (especially under Evatt) mean there will always be a chance of opponents getting in behind them. And every time Rak-Sakyi ran at Johnston my arse was going ten bob - threpenny bit.

I don't mind Johnston. He seems a good lad and could be a good footballer. I'm just not entirely sure he's a centre-back, even in a three.

Also interesting to see Evatt's postmatch quotes that they decided to go man-for-man. Considering their 4-3-3, either he just meant in midfield (where I too thought Tomo had his best game yet) or he meant the whole idea was for Johnston to go 1v1 with Rak-Sakyi. Whatever the plans, it worked, and we can all be glad of that.

I will be interested to see if Owen Beck is in the 18 for either of next week's away games. With Sheehan and Isgrove coming back to fitness, and Bod back soon, we're going to see some familiar faces sat in the stands. I make it a 24-man squad now (including two goalkeepers and three underage outfielders - the Liverpool WBs plus Thomason). So if everyone's well it'll be five outfielders sat with Dixon in their club tracksuits. And to bring it back to LCB, if Beck's as good as Bradley I think there may be games against taller forwards and longer ballers where Iredale's in the three, Johnston's on the bench and John's in the stands.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:27 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:19 pm
What I will say is I took my little lad with me today and he had an absolute blast. Loved every second of the game and described us as being "majestic." Bought himself a new shirt with his birthday money and had his first proper "fall in love with the game" match day.

He's been to games before, but I think this was that match that he'll remember when he's older - like most of us have from when we first started going.
Really nice to hear. Long may he love the Whites, and long may they treat him well for doing so. He might just be joining at an exciting time... :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:29 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:08 pm

I think the in first 5-10 minutes of each half we looked half awake. The lot of them. But for me the issues down the left were almost all on Iredale, who couldn't decide if he was coming or going.

They play a 433 Evatt makes a big play about how the gameplan is to leave the centre backs one on one. That’s how we play. Johnston was all over the show made an absolute howler for their goal and looked a complete liability all afternoon. Did score to make up for it. Fair play.

I wouldn’t at all blame Iredale who surely when Beck is up and running goes into the left hand side of that back three. To me Iredale looks a really class act - he’s not a wing back but asking a 6ft defender to pound up and down the line is always going to be a tall order.

Jones coped really well down the other side and Bradley offers a lot less protection than Iredale does. A considerable amount less.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:29 pm

What I like about Thomason is his positive intent - he's constantly looking to move it forward. By no means is he the finished package but he played very well today and long may it continue.

As an aside, I thought Evatt's post-match comments were very interesting. My first thought on reading today's teamsheet were that Evatt was stamping his authority and the things he said after full-time have given me no reason to think I was wrong.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:30 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:19 pm

Absolutely fantastic.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:29 pm
They play a 433 Evatt makes a big play about how the gameplan is to leave the centre backs one on one. That’s how we play. Johnston was all over the show made an absolute howler for their goal and looked a complete liability all afternoon. Did score to make up for it. Fair play.

I wouldn’t at all blame Iredale who surely when Beck is up and running goes into the left hand side of that back three. To me Iredale looks a really class act - he’s not a wing back but asking a 6ft defender to pound up and down the line is always going to be a tall order.

Jones coped really well down the other side and Bradley offers a lot less protection than Iredale does. A considerable amount less.
This'll be one of those game of opinion things. I thought their right winger was terrific, but when he got at Johnston was when I'd been sat there a few seconds earlier yelling at Iredale to actually move to get back. He switched off way too much for me, especially in the second half.

I really rate Iredale. I thought today was his worst game for us by a distance. From the first minute he didn't know who he was supposed to be picking up from their throw ins. It took Thomason to tell him where to stand and then when their lad ran off him he just stood there until Johnston bollocked him.

That being said, I think it was his ball in for Bradley's goal and he did some good stuff going forward.

I don't think it was a case of "just leave the defenders one on one, that's how we play." He didn't do his job defensively far too many times.

I'll take any dissent on that though, as I've not watched the game back and as such I'm not wedded to that opinion.
Last edited by GhostoftheBok on Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:36 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:38 pm
Miles Leaburn is big Carl’s lad

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
On that count I'd say "Not today." Bradley got back and tracked runners, to the point he was running on fumes by the hour mark.

My "ideal" 11 has Iredale in it, but Bradley was comfortably better in both directions for me today.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:42 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

This'll be one of those game of opinion things. I thought their right winger was terrific, but when he got at Johnston was when I'd been sat there a few seconds early yelling at Iredale to actually move to get back. He switched off way too much for me, especially in the second half.

I really rate Iredale. I thought today was his worst game for us by a distance. From the first minute he didn't know who he was supposed to be picking up from their throw ins. It took Thomason to tell him where to stand and then when their lad ran off him he just stood there until Johnston bollocked him.

That being said, I think it was his ball in for Bradley's goal and he did some good stuff going forward.

I don't think it was a case of "just leave the defenders one on one, that's how we play." He didn't do his job defensively far too many times.

I'll take any dissent on that though, as I've not watched the game back and as such I'm not wedded to that opinion.
See my opinion is that if you are asking a wing back to get in and protect the wide centre backs from their wide man in a 3 you are playing the wrong system. Evatt said we went man for man which means Iredale’s ‘man’ is their right full back.

If Iredale is doubling up you are ending up with a back five and will be too deep. I don’t think you can expect your wingbacks to protect the centre backs. It’s why Evatt continually says we ask centre backs to defend one on one in large areas because this system demands that especially against a 433.