Trotters v Charlton - Time for the Sorting Hat - (H) 15:00 3rd Sept

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Trotters v Charlton - Time for the Sorting Hat - (H) 15:00 3rd Sept

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:25 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:00 pm
If you can't target three points off the team in 21st with one win in 7, we should pack up. I'm ok with the adage "there's no easy games" etc. But if there are any aspirations you'd hope this one was in the mix as an away bonus.

I wouldn't think it criminal to get 6 from the next 12, and 8 might indeed be a push, but we can always talk down the possibility...
Didn't say I wouldn't target it. Just sayin' they'e not *terrible* at home. But yes, we should be good enough to win it. I'll remind you of that next Saturday when the jitters set in.... :mrgreen:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:08 pm

Maybe we should take a leaf from the Lionesses manual. Played 19 games in The World Cup qualifiers ,won 19 lost none scored 108 goals and conceded 3. Also played Spain and Germany in friendlies and drew both. Some record hey?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:08 pm
Maybe we should take a leaf from the Lionesses manual. Played 19 games in The World Cup qualifiers ,won 19 lost none scored 108 goals and conceded 3. Also played Spain and Germany in friendlies and drew both. Some record hey?
It’s a stunning record but that’s a bit like saying we should take a leaf out of Man City’s book and sign Erling Haaland to lead our attack…

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:13 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
It’s a stunning record but that’s a bit like saying we should take a leaf out of Man City’s book and sign Erling Haaland to lead our attack…
Not unless he wears a bra.... :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:31 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:13 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Not unless he wears a bra.... :lol:
Well, he has a pony tail
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:29 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:05 pm
I'd love it - love it if we can rustle up eight points from the available 12 to help us get back on track.
Biggish ask.
Hear what your saying, yet seemingly far more achievable after being broken down into individual tasks.

A bit like the old 'not eating an elephant at one sitting' part of every single, dreary management training course that you, I, or anyone else has ever sat through. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:47 pm

We are capable of winning every game this season. There isn’t a game we shouldn’t go into thinking we can win this. Of course we won’t win every one but the mentality has to be that we can and should go anywhere expecting to put in a performance that could well earn us the points.

For me what we need to start seeing is consistency both individually and the team. You watch the sides that go up and that’s what they have usually. A consistent performance level repeated week in week out. I think back to say the Todd side that lost to Watford and that side in its day was by far the best in the division. It had the best players too. But it wasn’t consistent it could be brilliant then the next week all over the place. And when it mattered a very consistent if less talented Watford did the business.

We have bags of talent but we need to show a consistent level now - not from January onwards but now. If we do that we’ve got a chance a real chance. If we remain hot and cold then usually those are the sides that just miss out.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:37 pm

I know what you mean. This isn't a grumble or complaint, but I do worry a bit when there's a prevailing notion that 10th or 11th is easy to come back from. I'd much rather be close to top 6, much more than 10th/11th and thinking "If only we could go on a post Dec run." Realistically, whilst our post Dec was great last year, we never looked like catching top 6.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:47 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:37 pm
I know what you mean. This isn't a grumble or complaint, but I do worry a bit when there's a prevailing notion that 10th or 11th is easy to come back from. I'd much rather be close to top 6, much more than 10th/11th and thinking "If only we could go on a post Dec run." Realistically, whilst our post Dec was great last year, we never looked like catching top 6.
I think this league has shown you can’t fall too far behind. We want to be on top of this and not playing catch up because I look at it and think the league will split like last year and if you aren’t in that top group even the form we finished with won’t be enough.

Got to be in and around top 6 from now on and that’s why I believe we need to see that sort of consistency of performance. We need to start seeing an 8/10 each week rather than a 6 one week then a 9 then next.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:36 pm

On what I've seen so far, I'd say we probably are around the 7th/8th best team in the division. Portsmouth, Ipswich, Peterborough, Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday all look better than us so far. Barnsley seem to be getting used to their manager now and they've had a couple of really notable results too.

We're decent. A good watch and some talented players undoubtedly. I do think those occasional errors at the back and not getting enough shots in compared to the amount of approach play, means we're unlikely to win away at (m)any of those listed and we're not good enough to go up this year.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:14 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:36 pm
On what I've seen so far, I'd say we probably are around the 7th/8th best team in the division. Portsmouth, Ipswich, Peterborough, Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday all look better than us so far. Barnsley seem to be getting used to their manager now and they've had a couple of really notable results too.

We're decent. A good watch and some talented players undoubtedly. I do think those occasional errors at the back and not getting enough shots in compared to the amount of approach play, means we're unlikely to win away at (m)any of those listed and we're not good enough to go up this year.
We dominated Plymouth and have a far far better group of players than they do.

The others minus Barnsley will be challengers for sure. There is absolutely no reason we can’t go up with this squad. It needs managing right. It needs to find consistency. The defence probably means top two is maybe a step too far. But I’m not having that there are 7 teams with better squads. Maybe better organised and more consistent, but we have the players it’s about getting the best out of them more often than not.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:14 pm

The others minus Barnsley will be challengers for sure. There is absolutely no reason we can’t go up with this squad. It needs managing right. It needs to find consistency. The defence probably means top two is maybe a step too far. But I’m not having that there are 7 teams with better squads. Maybe better organised and more consistent, but we have the players it’s about getting the best out of them more often than not.
And lost. Plymouth I think are very similar to us but a year further ahead and Schumacher has carried on Ryan Lowe's earlier work very well. I can't see us doing what they did at Derby yesterday on the back of a good home win v us.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:34 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:22 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:14 pm

And lost. Plymouth I think are very similar to us but a year further ahead and Schumacher has carried on Ryan Lowe's earlier work very well. I can't see us doing what they did at Derby yesterday on the back of a good home win v us.
We lost because of our inconsistency but player for player they aren’t close as the 90 minutes demonstrated. Our job is to be consistent. I don’t think many can touch the quality we have in the squad, certainly not Plymouth. But we also have a tendency to make more mistakes than others so that’s what I mean by consistency.

I also don’t buy the idea they are a year on. We’ve assembled the squad Evatt wants and it’s consistent to last year. Plymouths wage bill reported to be well under £2M. Ours is around £6M.

So we are competing for a different class of player. We just need to get the consistency of performance out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:51 am

Iredale and Bradley getting into all the stats based teams of the week. Interesting. Lee also. Definitely think all three were very good Saturday but interesting to see they hit the stats also.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:58 pm

I think how good this lad Beck turns out to be could well have a big impact on our success this season. My expectation is that he will not be as good as Bradley, but if he is then I think we’ll contend for automatics. Having players on either side of that quality would set us apart from virtually every other side in the division.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:07 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:58 pm
I think how good this lad Beck turns out to be could well have a big impact on our success this season. My expectation is that he will not be as good as Bradley, but if he is then I think we’ll contend for automatics. Having players on either side of that quality would set us apart from virtually every other side in the division.
Mention in a BN piece this morning that Evatt thinks he's not physically ready yet - assume this means lack of match fitness. Get him in the Bs for a couple of games (do we have some imminent?) then let's have a look at him from the bench.

EDIT aye – we're playing Huddersfield reserves this Wednesday in the Central League Cup then Wrexham reserves in the league the following Wednesday. Meanwhile the first team have a three-game week next week, so fresh legs may be useful.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:07 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:58 pm
Mention in a BN piece this morning that Evatt thinks he's not physically ready yet - assume this means lack of match fitness. Get him in the Bs for a couple of games ( do we have some imminent?) then let's have a look at him from the bench.

EDIT aye – we're playing Huddersfield reserves this Wednesday in the Central League Cup then Wrexham reserves in the league the following Wednesday. Meanwhile the first team have a three-game week next week, so fresh legs may be useful.
Yeah he said as much in pre-match presser, that he thought he may be some way off "match ready"