Bolton v Cheltenham. Away.Postponed

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Bolton v Cheltenham. Away.Postponed

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:41 am

With all our deepest respects, there will be comments whatever transpires due to the death of Her Majesty, so may as well have a place to make them. Updates will decide the future of the game. I'll add any time and place details as the come.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bolton v Cheltenham. Away.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:45 am

Putting personal view aside the fact that many sports have cancelled their stuff for the foreseeable means it’s pretty hard to see how football can go ahead this weekend. Obviously the PL and EFL want to. And I guess will do what they are told.

But seems a bit out of step if they play the games. Given the response elsewhere.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:04 am

A little-known fact is that our first ever game at The Reebok, the Monday night game which we were cheated out of against Everton, very nearly didn't go ahead due to Princess Di getting killed on the Saturday night/Sunday morning.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:52 am

Sounding like games will go ahead though not confirmed.

Edit: No ban on sporting events but PL and EFL have cancelled the weekend fixtures out of respect. So games off. Rugby is on though….figure that one out!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:35 am

All Prem/EFL games called off this weekend.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:42 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:35 am
Well, I really don't see why. It's a fecking nonsense.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:44 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:42 am
KeyserSoze wrote:
Me either but there is a huge split in opinion on it. Seen as a mark of respect.

But the rugby is going on. So it’s like…rugby is respectful…football is not.

When they announced that there was no requirement from government to cancel fixtures during this period everyone assumed the games would be on.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:53 am

The reality is that the police have likely briefed clubs that they won't have the officers required for matches, whereas policing of rugby games is far less of an issue. A friend of mine in the MET said leave is either cancelled or about to be. Other forces likely to follow.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:58 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:53 am
The reality is that the police have likely briefed clubs that they won't have the officers required for matches, whereas policing of rugby games is far less of an issue. A friend of mine in the MET said leave is either cancelled or about to be. Other forces likely to follow.
I think this is partially true but I understand the clubs decided rather than the police and clubs were split on it. So does seem like a decision mainly based on showing respect.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:42 am
KeyserSoze wrote:
An absolute nonsense. Don't worry anyone who's forked out for a train ticket halfway across the country.

Black armbands, minutes silence all that... of course. But what on earth is "respectful" about cancelling games?!

This from a few weeks' ago is pretty apposite: https://www.ft.com/content/2eaab370-9d2 ... d7dc88fb3b

As is this...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:39 pm

I can see the sentiment in showing respect, just not sure what will actually be achieved by the cancellation of football matches as it isn't colliding with funeral preparations etc. In short, I.M.O.very little; a pointless gesture. (Apologies for that unintentional pun)

The nation will not "stop all the clocks" as the grief is for Her Majesty's family and loved ones. As a Christian my prayers are genuine but beyond that life will roll on as ever and the supermarket tills will ring merrily on. .

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bolton v Cheltenham. Away.Postponed

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:51 pm

Been an interesting week to work in a newsroom...

It's a difficult decision, but an odd one if they play next weekend, when the funeral actually is (probably). And then it's international break...

Will they cancel kids' football? What about the Great North Run, which raises millions for charity?

Seems slightly odd to me to *not* let people congregate and pay respects with two minutes' silence. At a time of grief we're supposed to come together - as she said herself in a typically well-written broadcast during Covid: "We should take comfort that while we may have more still to endure, better days will return. We will be with our friends again. We will be with our families again. We will meet again."

Last time the monarch died, football went ahead that weekend (but rugby and hockey were called off). Then again, when the monarch died in 1936, he was aided on his way by his physician giving him a lethal overdose of morphine and cocaine, so y'know, times change.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:57 pm

Isn’t funeral likely to be a week Monday? That’s what I heard. Meaning football could be played next weekend.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:57 pm
Isn’t funeral likely to be a week Monday? That’s what I heard. Meaning football could be played next weekend.
Which, if true, makes this weekend's decision even stranger.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:51 pm

It's a difficult decision, but an odd one if they play next weekend, when the funeral actually is (probably). And then it's international break...

Will they cancel kids' football? What about the Great North Run, which raises millions for charity?

Seems slightly odd to me to *not* let people congregate and pay respects with two minutes' silence. At a time of grief we're supposed to come together - as she said herself in a typically well-written broadcast during Covid: "We should take comfort that while we may have more still to endure, better days will return. We will be with our friends again. We will be with our families again. We will meet again."

Last time the monarch died, football went ahead that weekend (but rugby and hockey were called off). Then again, when the monarch died in 1936, he was aided on his way by his physician giving him a lethal overdose of morphine and cocaine, so y'know, times change.
Who knows? /tinfoil hat :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:51 pm

The last part re euthanising George is based off one historians view as far as I know and could be urban myth.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:53 pm
The last part re euthanising George is based off one historians view as far as I know and could be urban myth.
It was written by the physician's biographer Francis Watson in 1950, but he omitted it at the request of the physician's widow. Watson reported it decades later in History Today, hardly a scurrilous title, and it was also carried in the New York Times, who have some pretty stringent copy-checkers.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:31 pm

On the face of it it’s the wrong decision for me. The only mitigating factor I get might be the lack of police officers due to them being required elsewhere (I’ve just watched Charles be manhandled by some oddballs on TV). Disappointing - would have been more fitting for a tribute at a game - minutes silence + national anthem. Poor old Cheltenham miss out on a decent payday there.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:43 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:31 pm
On the face of it it’s the wrong decision for me. The only mitigating factor I get might be the lack of police officers due to them being required elsewhere (I’ve just watched Charles be manhandled by some oddballs on TV). Disappointing - would have been more fitting for a tribute at a game - minutes silence + national anthem. Poor old Cheltenham miss out on a decent payday there.
I don't get this - where would the extra police be required?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:46 pm

In London today and wherever else there will be crowds in the next week. Friend of a friend has been pulled from usual duties in Leeds for just that this weekend.