Milton Dons will be Keen to tame The Whites. V Milton Keynes away Tues 13th Sept. 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Dons will be Keen to tame The Whites. V Milton Keynes away Tues 13th Sept. 7-45.

Post by DJBlu » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:43 pm

MK Dons have failed to register a shot on target.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Dons will be Keen to tame The Whites. V Milton Keynes away Tues 13th Sept. 7-45.

Post by jmjhb » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:44 pm

A huge regression from MK Dons compared to last season. I doubt Manning will be there much longer given persistent Championship links.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:45 pm

A win away, clean sheet, two goals scored and three points in the bag. Yeah, I'll have that. Get in Whites, and well done. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:51 pm

Great win all things considered. Never really looked in any danger and the performance levels remained at a good high standard.

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:53 pm

That’ll do, all things considered. A very comfortable away performance owing much to a gel-like state of Dons.

Thomo, my MOTM. Couple of games streak, too.

So many wasted opportunities—obviously a worry; however a penalty (actually rightly given!) and a set piece were our goals. Perhaps the leg-up we needed on, what I can only assume, was a very wet pitch.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:54 pm

What a wonderfully confident and dominant performance. A few real standout performances.

If we weren’t so wasteful with the last pass and finishing it genuinely could have been 7 or 8. Fantastic in the build up and in the press.

Johnson and Thomason a coin flip for man of the match. Both young players really excelling recently after properly bulking up over the summer.

We need to be more clinical on Saturday but how nice to win away and win so handsomely
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:55 pm

Johnston or MJ man of the match for me. Santos and Jones decent, GT was great for 75 minutes. What team changes does he make for Saturday? I think GT comes out (looked knackered) and Kachunga out…ideally JDB or Dapo…not sure Baka warrants a start. Did Iredale do enough?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:58 pm

I’d say Thomason motm. And Santos had his best game of the season. In that he wasn’t noticed which is how you want your centre halves to be.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:03 pm

Up to 5th but noticeable that out of three of the top 4 we've only managed a draw against Ipswich.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:10 pm

Dominant. Loved the way we hunted them down like a pack of wolves when we lost the ball. Johnston, Bradley, Thomason and MJ played really well. Looking like a settled team even with the rotation. Good signs.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:23 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:03 pm
Up to 5th but noticeable that out of three of the top 4 we've only managed a draw against Ipswich.
Aye. And the top 4 (in this case Ipswich, Pompey, Plymouth, Wednesday) are averaging 2+ppg again. That may not last but we need to not be too far behind.

Cambridge, in decent early-season form, lost from in front at Cheltenham and might now start to slip.

Posh lost at home to Fleetwood - not the embarrassment it would've been last season, but hardly promotion form either - and have now lost three on the spin (five if you count the cups). Four (six) at ours on Saturday might make them wonder if this division's as escapable as they think.

Shrewsbury win from 2-0 down. I think they'll cause some problems this season. May not be top-six but they're buggers to play against.

Speaking of losing from 2-0 up, that's what Derby did last time out and this time they lost 2-0 to Lincoln. Again: this division's no cakewalk.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:24 pm

Not a win to get carried away about, as I think it’s fair to say it was very much facilitated by how awful McDons were. Nevertheless, an important three points gained on the road and we move into the playoff positions.

A win on Saturday would really stoke the fires of optimism, especially given we’ve got quite a few players to bring back into the mix yet.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:43 pm

MK Dons is a warning tale though. Take your promotion chances now. Those who say ‘ah we can build stronger for next season’ often doesn’t happen like that.

When the chance is there you’ve got to take it.

If we could find a way of improving our final ball and final third decision making I’d say top two isn’t that far fetched.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:11 am

That was proper. God awful dystopian place to play football, and they are very very bad but we were proper and comfortable.

I doubt many people wouldn't picked that midfield three at the start of the year, but it's working well, any they were all excellent in their own way. MJ looks fitter and stronger, he's still a bit slow but he reads it so well and snaps into things. Thomo I've never really been convinced on but he was excellent tonight, especially first half. Got much more physicality about him now and his first thought is always to play forwards. He got a bit giddy in his last ten minutes coming deep and giving it away in a few dangerous spots so right call to bring him off, but he was excellent. But Sexy Kieran was the pick for me. Always more impressive live. So much of what he does is pull people around off the ball finding the little gaps and then doing simple things quickly. A proper rolls royce.

And is that two set piece goals in two games?! feck me that was a work of art. Absolute beut of a delivery, and phenomenal jump and lean into it header smashed in off the bar. Superb. "How shit must you be, we've scored a set piece?!"

Defenders did well too. Don't think Traff had a save to make. Though he did pull out some glorious shithousing. Came out to get an overhit through ball then dribbled it all the way back to the corner of his box to waste time. Gave their fans some stick at full time. Love him.

Kacha was a weird one. I think he was defo in for the press, Evatt talked about how that killed us last time and it was v good today (though how much of that is say, Bradley Johnson very much not being Scott Twine is tough to say. But though he tried manfully he's basically zero goal threat. Has to be a way to get Dapo in.

It was a weird game, no atmosphere and felt like a training game working on playing out, but so did last year and we were comprehensively beaten then.

They were very bad, but while I'd like to have seen us go for the jugular, it was v nice to be so comfortable. Up the mighty whites.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:15 am

Also, think we were level with the points we'd got from the corresponding games last season before tonight (with Port Vale substituted for Crewe), so nice to be 3 points up!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:34 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:10 pm
Dominant. Loved the way we hunted them down like a pack of wolves when we lost the ball. Johnston, Bradley, Thomason and MJ played really well. Looking like a settled team even with the rotation. Good signs.
A style I've been advocating for a while. Even the Lionesses and the England cricket team seem to have adopted the "go get em"attitude. Quite a few teams in League One play that way and while we need to be adaptable, it helps both defence and taking the edge off opponents attacks. The point has been made that The Dons are not the side they were; well neither are we, and history is yesterday is it not? Evatt seems to have used the "horses for courses" method well so far with some players not yet fully fit: Bod and the new lad, Beck" being the most noticeable. Let the Elephant arise... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:42 am

Kachunga I get does chase very hard, but he has basically nothing beyond that. We won yesterday so I can't be too critical of Evatt's selections, but I strongly suspect we're going to need Dapo playing most games if we're to get out of this league.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:51 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:42 am
Kachunga I get does chase very hard, but he has basically nothing beyond that. We won yesterday so I can't be too critical of Evatt's selections, but I strongly suspect we're going to need Dapo playing most games if we're to get out of this league.
The one we need really is Bod. He’s our best striker.

Dapo hasn’t been on form this season especially after the first few.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:08 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:11 am
they are very very bad but we were proper and comfortable.

They were very bad, but while I'd like to have seen us go for the jugular, it was v nice to be so comfortable. Up the mighty whites.
I didn't see the game last night and I still haven't seen the highlights, but these are the kind of comments which are raising my eyebrows.

See, in the corresponding fixture last year it was probably the only defeat of ours after which I thought - absolutely no complaints there. We weren't bad, they were simply better.

I managed to read some of the comments on here (generally telling of Charles having a nightmare) in the first half, but when I saw the final result, my immediate thoughts were - Brilliant, we've beaten a team who were clearly better than us last season and was hoping that it might be a marker as to how far we've come, as opposed to by how much they've dropped off.

Were they really that bad?
May the bridges I burn light your way

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:39 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:08 am
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:11 am
they are very very bad but we were proper and comfortable.

I didn't see the game last night and I still haven't seen the highlights, but these are the kind of comments which are raising my eyebrows.

See, in the corresponding fixture last year it was probably the only defeat of ours after which I thought - absolutely no complaints there. We weren't bad, they were simply better.

I managed to read some of the comments on here (generally telling of Charles having a nightmare) in the first half, but when I saw the final result, my immediate thoughts were - Brilliant, we've beaten a team who were clearly better than us last season and was hoping that it might be a marker as to how far we've come, as opposed to by how much they've dropped off.

Were they really that bad?
Yes - like relegation level bad. They offered no threat whatsoever and we should really have beaten them by 4 or 5.

Looks like they fecked their recruitment in the summer and completely failed to replace the good players they lost.